Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

John, thanks for all you are posting! The New York Auto Show photos are actually I believe the New York Salon. The Salon was held in the Hotel Commodore for most of its time in existence ( first few years it was held in the Hotel Astor) and the general public was not open to attend the Salon - it was by invitation only , even if the public wanted to pay to get into see it they could not do so. A very exclusive showing of custom bodied cars ( note the Judkins banner) . There was a New York Auto show but for the most part ( except for perhaps 2 or 3 cars total) everything on display at the auto show was factory bodied cars.

7 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

1933 Cadillac 452-C Four-Passenger Convertible Coupe - Style 5586...From the Fleetwood Individual Body Styles V-16 brochure, none built.

44931748_33Cadillac5586BookofFleetwood1CX.thumb.jpg.6327974048fbcc801de022e51cd3e2a4.jpg

Peruse the 1934 Book of Fleetwood here... 

https://digital.hagley.org/20100108_ZTV_I_1_164#page/1/mode/2up

TG

This incredible '31-'32 Cadillac Cabriolet by Voll & Ruhrbeck (or another similar) may have been the inspiration for the '33 Fleetwood Style 5586.

The family that runs these auctions is the same that puts on the Veterama Show in Mannheim and has the Automuseum Dr. Carl Benz

in nearby Ladenburg, Germany.

Image may contain: car

TG

18 hours ago, Doozer said:

So perfectly heartwarming in so many ways. Just too cute.

If they are still alive, those two 'young' people will most likely be in nursing homes today.  And that young gal could still use that puppy carrier as her walker.   Makes me wonder if their great-great-grandchildren look like that now.

Craig

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I wonder if this is the same car currently in the National Automobile Museum in Reno.

Craig

25_Lincoln_Judkins_1.jpg

My understanding has always been that two were made.  I have heard tale of the second one for years now via story exchanged at the Franklin meets (though I have not attended a meet since 1992, so it has been a long time since I heard the story)  - it was somewhere on the East Coast and supposedly was in a basement garage and they had a house fire and car barely survived. So, ....

The one in the former Harrah Collection in Reno was the one and only one I know that was built. Never saw any report during the era that two were made, it was such an off beat design that although causing a bit of press coverage during the late 1920s I believe was built just for that purpose. This body style if more then one was made would have been in Autobody magazine which was the coach builders trade magazine of the time - never saw a mention.  So far as the tale of a second one being built and the discussion at a Franklin meet of it being hidden away , house fire, car barely surviving etc etc. WELL show me a photo of the burnt chassis, remains etc.  also show me the report in print of the car when new.  Lots of good stories passed down 3rd and 4th hand and embellished as they go . Franklin club meets are great and have a lot of members who are excellent people/enthusiasts and also masters of spinning a tale to tell a story to make people curious. It is that way in all clubs of any make.

At the next Lincoln Owners Club meet there may be a story about a 1932 Franklin Olympic series 18 dual cowl phaeton and also about a Franklin series 17 (V12 !!!)  sedan delivery that was only used to deliver flowers to Mrs. Franklin.  Trouble is H.H. Franklin was never married and no florist shop in Syracuse ever had a V12 sedan delivery to transport posies .🤩

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The one in the former Harrah Collection in Reno was the one and only one I know that was built. Never saw any report during the era that two were made, it was such an off beat design that although causing a bit of press coverage during the late 1920s I believe was built just for that purpose. This body style if more then one was made would have been in Autobody magazine which was the coach builders trade magazine of the time - never saw a mention.  So far as the tale of a second one being built and the discussion at a Franklin meet of it being hidden away , house fire, car barely surviving etc etc. WELL show me a photo of the burnt chassis, remains etc.  also show me the report in print of the car when new.  Lots of good stories passed down 3rd and 4th hand and embellished as they go . Franklin club meets are great and have a lot of members who are excellent people/enthusiasts and also masters of spinning a tale to tell a story to make people curious. It is that way in all clubs of any make.

At the next Lincoln Owners Club meet there may be a story about a 1932 Franklin Olympic series 18 dual cowl phaeton and also about a Franklin series 17 (V12 !!!)  sedan delivery that was only used to deliver flowers to Mrs. Franklin.  Trouble is H.H. Franklin was never married and no florist shop in Syracuse ever had a V12 sedan delivery to transport posies .🤩

Yes, I agree 100% - that said you had to be 10 feet (or 100) from me at Franklin meets when the tale was being spun - I no longer recall who was speaking of such though, but heard the story for years. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

John, yes we probably were only several feet away from each other at those Franklin meets and as mentioned some people have an ability for perpetual story fabrication. 😬 Since this years meet has been canceled they are all probably adding to the next tale they had all prepared to deliver this year!!!

• Like 1

Here is another that legends are built from, though in this case the car did survive post WWII - it just lead a hard life though.  The chassis was extended and the hood made longer to house an Auburn V-12 engine; and it was painted a lighter color of grey/tan/white/or ....  And then that V-12 was removed and ...   And yes there were post war photos of it published at one point in time in perhaps 1970's or 1980's in the ACD Club Bulletin.  Unless someone scavenged the boattail fenders off it or something post-war really bad happened to it, then it should surface someday. 

19718650.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)