March-April Antique Automobile Magazine

chistech

9 minutes ago, padgett said:

Well you are up in the "slow corner". Orlando often gets things before they are supposed to (even when unwanted), have had mine for several daze.

I seem to get those unwanted bills overly fast too. It’s my magazines I’m always getting late. Just recently I hadn’t received 4-5 issues in a row of my AMA (academy of model aeronautics) magazine and turns out mail was returning them , even though the address and name was correct, so the AMA stopped sending them! My VCCA and my NAOC all seem to come after everyone else, even up here in the NE corner, gets theirs. I think Steve is right and someone in the PO is looking through them first. All I have to say is I’m glad I no longer have that Playboy subscription!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Car magazines are always delayed arriving here in the New Orleans area - especially on my block-

but junk mail comes through without a hitch or delay

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Car magazines are always delayed arriving here in the New Orleans area - especially on my block-

but junk mail comes through without a hitch or delay

Do you have an explanation  for why that happens? Zeke

There are simply too many variables to give a one answer fits all, but some antidote information that often goes unrecognized:

There are three classes of mail used for magazines, price differences and delivery scheduling are different for each.

1)First Class usually for smaller pieces and sealed envelop mail-but available  at an extra cost for magazines.

2)Periodical mail-Mail that is designed for magazines and newspaper. This is what you want the magazine publisher to to use, because of it's reduced rate and service that often paralles that of First Class mail.

3)Bulk Business mail-advertising material, it's inexpensive but there is no specific or implied delivery schedule. Below is some information that I posted for the Studebaker Drivers' Club some years ago substitute your publication for TW. Bill

• Not trying to be contrary, just informative, when I say that the above is not always entirely true. You say that "I know that they are all mailed together," not necessarily true. Periodical mail, by it's nature provides for a very complicated set of pricing and distribution options. Mailers are given the option of dropping parts of a particular mailing, up to a month apart, and at different P.O.'s across the country. Since some mailings can be rather large and heavy, and because the printer has other customers to satisfy, all the mail might not be printed at the same time, nor processed and sorted at the same time. To save time and money the publisher may choose to truck mail, or contract to have mail trucked to other P.O.'s around the country. The TW may indicate, in the P.O. required information "other offices," that would be a sign that that is what is happening.

One thing to remember is that the publisher and the printer are not the same thing. Sometimes the printer may be in a completely different part of the country. Printers in the midsection of the country can have a real advantage when it comes to real time and money savings. Or if recipients are concentrated in a particular part of the country, that area may have an advantage.

In the real world how might this work. The printer get the mail piece format from the publisher. Since the publication is a monthly, they have within that month long period to get all of the mail printed, sorted and delivered to the P.O. This mailing may not, and probably won't be, the printer's priority job! Chances of it being all printed at one time, and delivered at the same time is truly unlikely. Again, for the sake of saving time and money, they may choose to truck the mail themselves, to an "additional office," or multiple offices around the country. This processing and delivery networking is at the discretion of the mailer, as long as it is within the month long time frame for that issue.
    My Experience has taught me that if there is a delay in receipt of a single mail piece, that does not effect the other recipients in the area, then it is usually the carrier's fault. If however there is a more generic, long standing problem with the whole mailing, the problem is usually with the publisher or preparer, and when he drops the whole mailing at the P.O. Almost without exception, once a mailing is properly presented to the P.O. the mailing goes out within hours, most times right along with "First Class" mail.

To comment on what is actually happening with the TW, I would have to know a great deal more about the processing and networking. Suffice it to say that to think that because someone in one part of the country gets his mail in a particular time period, that someone across the country is going to get theirs at the same time, is unlikely. I think that they are doing a pretty good job!

•  
Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)

Just an FYI,  the AACA magazine gets printed and mailed from the same facility as there is a postal office within the printer's facility. (this is a very large company).  Our magazines goes out within a three day period normally and are sent second-class.  The USPS does a very good job in most cases but sometimes it is a head scratchier as to  the timing of delivery to people in the same town or even on the same street!  One of life's great mysteries! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got mine today.  Once again, Tidewater Region is prominent - nice article on our new President Jim Elliott,  Reggie Nash's great original Rambler, and Scott Davies Corvette, as well as all our award winners.  Last issue was full of great Tidewater Region members cars too!  Proud of our region!!!

Terry

Our copy finally arrived-

Great article on Reggie Nash and his '09 Rambler. 

It was an absolute privilege and a "forever" memory, that Reggie had me drive this gem for a complete day when the Reliability tour was based in Ashland, VA several years back. The four-speed transmission has an unusual pattern which took some getting used to. Their granddaughter Alex, even at a young age, was a "pro" at handling the '09 Rambler, and even pitched in to change a tire when another participant's car had a puncture. Reggie and Cyndi are generous and delightful examples of what our hobby can be, and we wish them well.

1909 Nash with Marty and Dale.JPG

1909 Rambler -Reggie Nash Family.JPG

Rambler 1.JPG

Rambler 2.JPG

Rambler 3.JPG

Rambler 4-Front.JPG

Rambler 5.JPG

Rambler Alex Reggie.JPG

Rambler Reggie n Alex.JPG

Tire Change.JPG

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Nice article about your VW Rabbit,

Charlie.

Peter J.

Thank You Very Much Peter.

Hard to believe that 40 years ago today (03/15/1980), I purchased this car.

It has been a long and winding road since then. I have met a lot of GREAT people like yourself and so many other AACA members along the way thanks to this car. Looking forward to continuing the journey for many more years and miles to come.

Charlie 

• Like 1

Steve- Just to be accurate- There is no second class or third class mail. The USPS changed the names yaers ago because they were politically incorrect. First class is usually letters and the general public paying bills via snail mail. Usually delivered within 3-4 days at most.  Periodical mail (your second class type) - what magazines that are "PAID" or "REQUESTED" by the subscriber get mailed under and is more expensive than 1st class but less that STANDARD rate mail.  STANDARD rate is the old 3rd class which is non-requested advertising mail.  What is really amazing Peridical and Standard rate mail is the most expensive and most of the sorting/bundeling and distribution bagging/palletizing is done long before it gets to the USPS by the printers. First class mail gets handled by 9-11 people on average in the USPS. Periodical/Standard mail gets handled by 4-6 people. Where is the cost to the USPS? Delivery times may be a result of allowed time to deliver to a home/business based on amount of mail/weight a carrier has each day. On periodical I believe they have up to 3 days allowed at the final PO to deliver. 

Just didn't want you to be potically incorrect.  LOL 

Dave S 

4 hours ago, charlier said:

Hard to believe that 40 years ago today (03/15/1980), I purchased this car.

It has been a long and winding road since then. I have met a lot of GREAT people like yourself and so many other AACA members along the way thanks to this car. Looking forward to continuing the journey for many more years and miles to come.

I also really enjoyed that article and the pictures, with those hard-won badges in front of the grille.

Matt Hocker wrote a wonderful article on Celebrities used in ads to promote automobiles. From the 30's on up  Gary Cooper to Charlie Brown were seen in print  standing next to, or talking about their new favorite car.  Great stuff. John

• Like 3

Dave, thank you for the correction.  Funny thing is that I do not recall every getting this info and no one from our publisher to our local post office that sees me all the time and deals with our returned magazines has ever said anything.  On second thought the carrier sheet does say periodical mail!  Duh!

Being politically correct is not so easy these days!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ericmac said:

Still a no-show here in Michigan.  It always gets here eventually. 

You should be getting yours before anyone. It's mailed directly from the printer in St. Joe. I'd talk to someone in charge at your local post office and find out why your second class (oops, sorry... periodical) mail is being delayed for so long). I've been told it's up to each individual mail carrier as to when they decide to deliver periodicals. Tell him/her that there is time-sensitive information in the magazine (and there is, if you're trying to register for a show), and that you'd like quicker turnaround.

• Like 1

My Grandson got his first two magazines last Monday or Tuesday. (last months and the current issue) I did not recieve mine till Friday. Same house address. Very nice issue as usual. Congratulations to all the National Award winners, and to all the other members who had their cars in the magazine.

Steve I’ve been in the circulation fulfillment for magazines data bases for 40+ years and have never thought to USPS was good at informing their customers on anything but price increases. 
The old class system made more sense. You as a publication should be able to call it what ever you want in my book because you are paying for it AND doing all of the sorting/prep work for the USPS. But I’m probably not politically correct either. 
Have fun

Dave S 

On 3/15/2020 at 3:44 PM, J3Studio said:

I also really enjoyed that article and the pictures, with those hard-won badges in front of the grille.

Thank You Very Much. Glad you enjoyed the article.

Many Thanks to West for the very nice photos he took of my Rabbit.

Charlie

• Like 1

Part of the delivery differences may be due to palletizing and or bundling based on postal rules. If a zip code or SCF (sectional center facility) (the first 3 digits of the zip) has a specific number or more magazines they are bundled together and go in a specific mail bag to that local post office. If the number is less it goes in a region or state bag which then goes thru additional sorts and finally gets sent from the regional center to the local po. 
Probably  more than anyone wants to know but may explain the differences in timings. I don’t work for the post office but my professional career requires knowing how the system works to a point. 
Dave S 

5 hours ago, ericmac said:

I'm now wondering how long to wait until it sppears that it is not coming at all. If that's true,  then report to National?

My issue has not arrived yet either in southern Nevada. Hopefully it arrives soon.

Kevin