What happens when Old Car Guys get sent to a Nursing Home

Mark Gregory

Vise Grips, Channel Locks, Pliers, and a hammer. I think I worked on his car once.

Looks too bright and clean to be a nursing home, but it has a vintage steam radiator under the window. Possibly somewhere with socialized medicine?

• Like 1

here's a better way to pass time in a nursing home. I've had this 1000 piece puzzle about 25 years, made it way back then, found it this week still in original box, so made it over past 5 days while the weather has been nasty. The 1936/37 Cord I consider the best looking and perhaps most desirable Sedan ever produced. 

IMG_6094.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

here's a better way to pass time in a nursing home. I've had this 1000 piece puzzle about 25 years, made it way back then, found it this week still in original box, so made it over past 5 days while the weather has been nasty. The 1936/37 Cord I consider the best looking and perhaps most desirable Sedan ever produced. 

IMG_6094.JPG

So, the guy ran over the mail thief?

• Haha 1

The puzzle is a component of an Inspector Cross Murder Mystery (distributed by bePuzzled, Bloomfield, Ct in 1992). Don't want to give away results of investigation and clues from the puzzle, but if anyone (like some Cord 810 owner) wants the package, box, puzzle (24x30), 10 page mystery story, $10+ ride, send me a PM. BTW, you will note a piece missing in initial picture, since made one see this new picture..

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

On 2/10/2020 at 11:50 AM, Isaiah said:

You have to get rid of every thing  , you cannot own anything to be in one of those placeless.

SAD BUT TRUE

I got a 87 year old into one of those assitsted living places and hung his colleciion of 1932 license tags in the wall and pictures of several of his long gone cars.  He was happy.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Not true.  Limits on assets and income if wanting Medicaid to pay.  No limits for private pay,

Ben

Correct. My wife is an RN with 35+ years in nursing homes. The patients are allowed up to limits on assets. And in some nursing homes patients on Medicare are allowed to stock their rooms with furniture and other personal items from home.

However, I think there is a limit on hammer sizes you can have in the room. 

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

13 hours ago, PFitz said:

And in some nursing homes patients on Medicare are allowed to stock their rooms with furniture and other personal items from home.

Just flagrantly let old people keep those items the "Deep State" could have sold to compensate the costs. outrageous! No wonder the national debt is so high.

Before:

Image result for government used furniture story

After:

image.jpeg.f174d569cf4579c2ef9e09c6003127c2.jpeg

Nursing homes are a classic example of "where the rubber hits the road". No one wants to pay income tax or other taxes to build and operate them, so here we have a mix of private facilities and non-profit facilities. Typically locally they cost a per diem (daily cost) of circa $300-$400/resident, or roughly $100,000 for a year of occupancy. While the tax payers demand that the residents pay what ever their income and assets can contribute, the families of the residents say things like "he/she worked hard all their lives and should not have to liquidate everything to be in one". What they mean is " that's my inheritance you're messing with". No easy answer. 75 years ago, families took care of their older relatives at home, it was not easy, but it was a socially understood obligation. Not any longer, now we ask the government to take care of our elderly, but not to raise taxes to do so. No Win. Sorry to rant, let's get back to old cars!

• Like 4