Just because you are wealthy does not mean you can design a good looking RR

Mark Gregory

I like the back of the car personally I would like to see it disappear over the horizon.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7955983/Rolls-Royce-designed-eccentric-businessman-set-fetch-30-000.html

'Rolls-Royce' designed by eccentric businessman who thought he could do better than the classic cars made by the real firm is set to fetch £30,000

• Armenian businessman Nubar Gulbenkian designed a new car and approached Rolls-Royce with his design 
  • The 1947 Silver Wraith features a square windscreen and even has bars going across the car's headlights
  • His design was rejected by the car maker, so instructed Rolls-Royce coach builders Hoopers to build him one
  • The car is now 73 years old has undergone a £200,000 restoration, but still requires a whole new interior 
  • The current owner is not in a position to complete the work and has offered the vehicle for sale via an auction 

The 1947 Silver Wraith is one of many Gulbenkian had made and has recently undergone significant restoration costing around £200,000. It has been given a new a new ash frame and comprehensive fabrication work but still requires a whole new interior

image.thumb.png.c88fd1da1b8781b2c5504c9d1fd8e069.png

It has been given a new a new ash frame and comprehensive fabrication work but still requires a whole new interior. The current owner is not in a position to complete the work and has offered the vehicle for sale through auctioneers Historics of Iver, Buckinghamshire

There are things about its presentation right now that need improved... but I think if the panel fit were made to all reflect light in the same direction and it got a dark color... it would be one of the most valuable wraiths around.

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

My very first thought when I saw it was Chrysler Airflow. That's not much of an endorsement.

Don't insult the Airfow. Hahahaha. The Airflow was actually better looking than that RR in my opinion.

• Like 2

Nubar could have just waited a year or two, bought a '49 'bathtub' Nash Ambassador, customized it.   Heck of a lot cheaper and had just as much of a styling atrocity...

Just goes to show how desperate English coachbuilders were for any work they could get in those immediate postwar years, Hooper must have been as hard up a any.

Edited by 58L-Y8
postwar desperation (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Its a shame it was allowed to deteriorate to that condition. Give me that one anyday It doesn't look anymore ungainly than a brand new one.

To me, THIS one has the be the ugliest Rolls Royce ever made!  

Vignale may have designed some beautiful cars in the 1950's but he sure failed at this effort!!

Craig

10ip120.jpg

54_RR_Vignale_1.jpg

54_RR_Vignale_2.jpg

25 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

To me, THIS one has the be the ugliest Rolls Royce ever made!  

Looks like a Packard Hawk in the front and a Vauxhall Victor from the rear. When the Brits get it right they are really good and when they get it bad they are terrible.

This belongs to a friend down here in Miami.......he has ten others in similar colors......no BS. One of the other purple ones has electric yellow leather in it. He has a bunch of Ferrari’s in unusual color schemes also. Normally I couldn’t forgive such taste.........but he donates every one of them to children’s charities so I find it in my heart to forgive him. True story......

14F613FA-67F3-4CF7-87DA-7B76BBC26C9A.png

Mr Gulbenkian was known as "Mr 5%" after his success in negotiating oil deals in the Middle East, for which he received a 5% commission. Needless to say, he had plenty of money.

He designed the car for use in London. His idea was to create  a super deluxe version of a  London taxicab, short and maneuverable and suited to driving in traffic, he had other cars for country use. He remarked "it will turn on a sixpence, whatever that is" LOL.

Just now, John Byrd said:

Craig, that Rolls with the 59 Anglia rear window ( or Mercury Breezway ) takes the prize and changes my opinion I've held for years.... That thing  makes the Aztec look gorgeous, ha !

Do you think that car has '57 Chevy front fenders? Bob 

17 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

This will raise someone's ire but while the Italian designers have a wonderful feel for small, sporty car design, when it comes to large cars, the feel goes away.

Even the best Italian houses have never been able to make a Rolls Royce look good.  The Pininfarina-designed Camargue was considered to be one of their worst postwar designs up until that time.

I don't mind Frua's effort so much at designing one, but it is still rather bland like the Camargue.  Lady Penelope might like it, though.

Craig

10ip115.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

This will raise someone's ire but while the Italian designers have a wonderful feel for small, sporty car design, when it comes to large cars, the feel goes away.

You may have overlooked one. Bob 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=beast+of+turin&&view=detail&mid=8DD80C1ACC957E4FC0AD8DD80C1ACC957E4FC0AD&rvsmid=F6222538859A88C50968F6222538859A88C50968&FORM=VDQVAP

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Looks like a Packard Hawk in the front and a Vauxhall Victor from the rear. When the Brits get it right they are really good and when they get it bad they are terrible.

Kind of like English cooking! 

I don't think anyone ever accused the Brits of styling and engineering excellence  ( save for the XKE ). I flew a British airplane for a number of years. It was dowdy looking and the systems were archaic to the point of laughable, but it did get the job done..........Bob

It's a well known car. I was told – and cannot verify this – that RR was so horrified by it that they cancelled the warranty on the car. Photos of it have been around the RR community for years, always citing it as about the worst body ever mounted on one - although I'd be inclined to give that trophy to some of the creations for Indian rajas and native princes.

18 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

It's a well known car. I was told – and cannot verify this – that RR was so horrified by it that they cancelled the warranty on the car. Photos of it have been around the RR community for years, always citing it as about the worst body ever mounted on one - although I'd be inclined to give that trophy to some of the creations for Indian rajas and native princes.

The same was true of the John Lennon Rolls Royce Phantom.  RR would not paint it the way he wanted it done, agreeing to supply it only in black.

Craig

5 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Since we are talking about saloons (sedans) why just tout the XKE. Throughout the 70's and 80's Jaguar produced some to the most beautiful two and four door sedans, that were ever built.

I agree.   Find me a better looking four door than the MK 10 Jaugar?

Mk10Jaguar.jpg

And don't forget the dual gas tank fillers on the Mk X though with the 4.2 it was somewhat sedate. And for the easy confused we have the 3.8S which had a MK 2 front and a Mk X rear. A decade before the Gremlin.

What a 57 Chev thingie should look like (and has a retractable roof). Does production of 60 units count ?

nosesm.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)