Images of the era

Walt G

Photo of "Keenie's Garage" our Chevrolet dealer in my old home town of Monongahela PA.276960220_MAHS_0021.13151219_large1.thumb.jpg.d6078d78b9384c6bc104626531654177.jpg

The date says 1928 but it is probably 1933 or 34 by the looks of the new Chevrolet on in the first floor show room. Notice the late 1920s cars on in the 2nd floor show room. That is where they had the used car department. I believe they also sold Oldsmobile there after WW ll as my father bought his new 1948 Olds there. Across the street from this was an equally period GULF station. Later the GULF station was leveled for Vickers Chevrolet used cart lot. I applied for a job as body man there in 1973 when it was Vickers Chevrolet. The entire city block was leveled and now there is a SHEETZ gas station convenience store.

• Like 2

Ok here is a Packard Sport model , I have at least two friends who own one of these cars with this body type, really super cool machines.

Very sleek lines for the era, really low profile and stance . thanks to all once again for looking at all this stuff!

BodyType (3)TOURING CAR1924PACKARD eight sport model.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Ok here is a Packard Sport model , I have at least two friends who own one of these cars with this body type, really super cool machines.

Very sleek lines for the era, really low profile and stance . thanks to all once again for looking at all this stuff!

BodyType (3)TOURING CAR1924PACKARD eight sport model.jpg

The holy grail for Packard collectors in addition to the custom-bodied cars.  Wonder if any Sport Model chassis were sent to custom coachbuilders for one-off designs?

Don

thanks for the comment, if you ever saw a Sport Model in person you would be lost for words, they are so pretty.

I will keep them coming, - see every photo in my collection - yikes, that is over 55 years worth of collecting pre war material more specifically of coach builders, body design etc.

and the photos, images in period magazines especially the European ones are almost unknown here in the USA. the earlier postings of the Mercedes-Benz fastback and Delage town car came from the European magazines that were printed on coated stock paper which allows incredible reproduction when scanned. Just the magazine OMNIA alone - it was printed monthly from about 1920 to 1936 and I have nearly a full run

and it was a hefty magazine. It just goes on and on. It gives me great pleasure to share what I have.

Walt

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

This brass era runabout was parked outside a service station in Delavan, WI. That is my father and my Aunt sitting in it, the pictures are from the 1930s.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

1910 or so Hupmobile.

1910 Hupmobile_Model_20_(29341498350).jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Photo of "Keenie's Garage" our Chevrolet dealer in my old home town of Monongahela PA.276960220_MAHS_0021.13151219_large1.thumb.jpg.d6078d78b9384c6bc104626531654177.jpg

The date says 1928 but it is probably 1933 or 34 by the looks of the new Chevrolet on in the first floor show room. Notice the late 1920s cars on in the 2nd floor show room. That is where they had the used car department. I believe they also sold Oldsmobile there after WW ll as my father bought his new 1948 Olds there. Across the street from this was an equally period GULF station. Later the GULF station was leveled for Vickers Chevrolet used cart lot. I applied for a job as body man there in 1973 when it was Vickers Chevrolet. The entire city block was leveled and now there is a SHEETZ gas station convenience store.

What a great photo. 

Good to see that a lot of people are not becoming bored with these period photos and images and the interest continues. Makes me very pleased that we are all sharing pictures that were taken for the most part 70+ years ago of vehicles of an era long gone but one that we all seem to cherish and respect. Guess I will have to keep posting a few and hope all of you do so as well.

Body Type (12) VICTORIA COUPE -1931 Studebaker President Eight.jpg

BODY TYPE (21) LANDAULET - 1932 Packard twin Six, body by Packard.jpg

Cunningham_0001921 touring.jpeg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I am In the middle of something , will get back to you with the coach builder just want to be certain - check the size of the back door on the Cunningham and the second fixed cowl at the back of the front seat.

The Packard is a 1932 Individual Custom Series 904 All-Weather Landaulet.  Designs were created by Dietrich with various configurations for the upper structures but built in-house when Packard decided to get a greater share of the dwindling custom body business.     Who built or supplied which body style gets clouded at this point.

The Studebaker is a President Model 90 State Victoria on the 136" wheelbase.

Edited by 58L-Y8
redundance (see edit history)

See this this old photo of the Firetruck. 1930's I believe. I am extremely fortunate as I still get to drive it today. The frame was shortened, however it is still is on the road and takes part in many local vintage car events. Attached is a photo of my wife helping me get it ready for a parade last Nov. 2019. I believe it's stayed local here in Kamloops its entire life since it was new. Currently it is in the hands of the Kamloops Vintage Car Club. Which I am a member of. We own and take care of it (we baby it). We bring it out for everyone to see whenever we can. Several times a year.

3384.jpg

IMG_5065.jpg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Keith, thanks for the photos! to all others thank you as well for sharing all these great "of the era" photographs.

It is really nice to know that there is a strong group of regulars here at this thread that are as enthusiastic as I am . ( I know several friends who are looking at this are also thinking - yes and as crazy too)  Each image is telling a story, and in doing so is honoring those that had contact with the marvelous vehicles we see here. The common bond we have is wonderful, it also justifies and renews our passion  -  there are those who think "history is just the past" well it is but to many of us, we can have a window to that past by seeing these photographs that someone thought important enough to take decades ago. They were proud to have a photo of the car or truck , it meant something to them, just like it means something to us.

Walt

• Like 2

More weird stuff!  Just what you need on Valentines Day!

The back of the photo of the race car is stamped MoToR magazine perhaps taken July 1927 and has a typed caption it is a Baby Stutz with driver Percy McFadden at Ascot Park in Los Angeles

the taxi image is from a real photo post card and was very dark. has written in pencil 1930 Saf-T-Cab  was this built by Auburn?

BabyStutzrace car001.jpg

SafTCabauburn1930001.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 9:38 AM, keithb7 said:

Year unknown. Kamloops, BC Canada. Cars seen?

1772.jpg

On 2/13/2020 at 10:03 AM, keiser31 said:

1933 Chevrolet.

1933 Chevrolet sedan.jpg

This  Chevy is very similar to the Kamloops Canada mystery car appearing in the first frame.  Look at the hood sides of the mystery car,  it has fixed vents, not vent doors as the Chevy pictured here.  The mystery car is a '33 Pontiac.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeff_a said:

I posted this on the Peerless Forum, too, but here is the Peerless stand at the 1917 Cleveland Auto Show:

Image result for 1916 Peerless v-8...................................................The Free Library of Philadelphia Digital Collections.

Jeff this is a great photo! What a modern looking car for 1917- I wonder what the colors were? Love the diamond treads on the rear