Pistons needed Egge & Arias do not have them. Anyone have a lead ? ?

Mark Gregory

I am trying to help out a fellow Reo owner who needs some pistons for his engine.

He has tried Egge and Arias with no luck.

Here is what he requires for

1915 REO Speed Wagon, Mkdel F,  4 cylinder, 1500 pound truck.

need 4 pistons and rings and wrist pins if available ( but mine are good )
4.125 + 0.040 bore
2.375 compression height 
4.750 long
pin bore 1.225
or something close.
Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Another vote for Ross. Yes they are more expensive than Egge, but quality is far better and the pistons are lighter and stronger. Last time I checked they were less expensive than Arias.  

Ross does a lot of custom work for race and aircraft, so that size shouldn't be a problem.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Light pistons reduce load on the rods and bearings. When having custom pistons made, the possibility of a modern ring package also exists (inquire). Modern ring packages can result in less wear on the bores and less oil consumption as well. I am not advocating doing this to every car. I wouldn't do it if the bores were still good and the pistons still fit, but if the pistons need replacing anyway, the only downside is cost. It isn't just throwing money. It is throwing money where it might actually do some good.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

As is true 99.99% of the time, Bloo is dead spot on. You can always justify a bit of extra expense when you are really making a meaningful improvement. When I last spoke to Arias, maybe a year and a half ago, they were the production source for the "eggs" forged pistons. Go to Arias and Ross, why not Jahns also as long as you are up. Have a real good heart to heart regarding raising compression as much as is realistically feasible. (You do understand the totally unmitigated benefits of raising the compression of an ancient engine built to run on 40-50 octane gasoline ? What year did you say is the Reo ? Is it side valve or F head ?). You will have to be deeply in the loop on that one in the engineering department. They will certainly work WITH you, and have been improving flatheads by the thousands for many decades. Talk with the oldest of the old hotrodders still on the payrolls. Hand in hand, get a thorough understanding of the combustion chambers through sharing observation, by claying at top dead center, and cc'ing. That is a very fun, relatively straightforward, and rewarding process. Additionally, your good forum friends would love to be involved. Valve configuration, particularly if other than a side valve with a direct shunt between intake and exhaust, opens up more productive possibilities. Please keep us in the loop.                 Just another of your good (?) I had a girlfriend who lived in Carlsbad - she said I was - California, but certainly old, forum friends,      -     Cadillac Carl !          Good luck, Mark. You do so much looking out for others here. Thank you. 

I had Arias make six pistons for a six cylinder Dodge 413 engine. Beautiful 1-1/8" wrist pin forged pistons.

I tried for years to find new ones everywhere.

Arias was the only company willing and able.to supply the correct 1-1/8" wrist pin pistons. 

Costly @ $1200.00.

There are quite a few members of the PAS that wouldn't even think of using Egge pistons anymore.

My Rickenbacker has Egge pistons but they were originally made for that engine back in the late 70's.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

That 1.224 pin confuses things...

My 36 King Prod  manual shows two pistons about your size, used in both the cars and trucks...

One for 1918-20 F18, J18, K18, T4, T18, U4 and U18 cars, and same  year F, J, F Speedwagom 3/4-2T truck 

Specs 41/8 diam, 23/8 Comp dist, 451/64 length  (4.75=48/64 pin diam 1.224......

The other is for 1913-18 R, S, R5, S5 cars and came year F, J, F Speedwagom 3/4-2T trucks...those  specs go

41/8, 23/8, 451/64, but pin diam id 1.234  

If those two pistons are interchangeable, you might have the later pistons...or the manual might be off...

Now, under  Reo truck there's also the 31-32 6  cyl 4J, 4K, 4T, 4Ton trucks using a Buda K381 engine, whose piston specs are 41/8,  21/4 and 43/8=428/64...

Unfortunately, the K381 doesn't seem to've been that popular...

• Like 1

Gentlemen.........when it comes to pistons, there are and have been problems very recently with SEVERAL. companies that have been listed here, some have had lots of issues over the years, and recently a company with a good reputation has most definitely having issues. I would recommend doing your homework and reaching out to others before you install any pistons. I can tell you I have installed pistons from every company mentioned above..........and would NOT use most of them. One company I use to use exclusively has gone down hill............lots of changes in the car world when it comes to new reproduction parts, you can never be too careful. Ed

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bud Tierney said:

That 1.224 pin confuses things...

My 36 King Prod  manual shows two pistons about your size, used in both the cars and trucks...

One for 1918-20 F18, J18, K18, T4, T18, U4 and U18 cars, and same  year F, J, F Speedwagom 3/4-2T truck 

Specs 41/8 diam, 23/8 Comp dist, 451/64 length  (4.75=48/64 pin diam 1.224......

The other is for 1913-18 R, S, R5, S5 cars and came year F, J, F Speedwagom 3/4-2T trucks...those  specs go

41/8, 23/8, 451/64, but pin diam id 1.234  

If those two pistons are interchangeable, you might have the later pistons...or the manual might be off...

Now, under  Reo truck there's also the 31-32 6  cyl 4J, 4K, 4T, 4Ton trucks using a Buda K381 engine, whose piston specs are 41/8,  21/4 and 43/8=428/64...

Unfortunately, the K381 doesn't seem to've been that popular...

Pin is 1.224 (1.225). If I have pistons made we will double check the rod but likely will ask for 1.224" pins. Thanks for the info. 

Jahns made a very low cost cast piston and quality forged pistons that were on the heavy side but what they made for years were forged piston blanks. With a piston blank, a lathe and a mill you can make one to any spec. Unless you can cam grind the piston it will be round which is a bit noisier but no problem. Gets better when warmed up. Back in the 60's we were doing offset crank pin grinding, experimenting with rod length,  ring position, and dome design among other tricks to beat the competition so went through a lot of pistons (and other parts). Won some/lost some but gained even from the flops.

Another nod to Ross. They made the pistons for m6 32’ Olds. Extremely good job. You can see them in the restoration thread of my 32’ Olds roadster.  A company specializing in pistons for high compression, high revving, engines and been in business a long time probably has a good product. Their old engine line of pistons are made the same way.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

Several years ago we needed pistons for a '49 Olds Rocket 88. We contacted Egge and they told us they had had a fire and their foundry pattern for the particular size piston we needed had burned up in the fire. No problem. We called another of the nationally known piston "manufacturers" and coincidentally they had also had a fire that destroyed their pattern for our pistons. A third call was made to another national piston supplier and lo and behold they also had a fire and lost their pattern. Finally we contracted with Ross to make us a set of forged piston. Nice people to deal with, still a family business. Moral of the story is do not confuse piston resellers with piston manufacturers. To be fair, we have used many pistons and other parts sourced thru Egge and have had only one problem, a set of Packard pistons that came with several cracked wrist pins.

• Like 1

Guest broker'bob

have a lead for a parts guy in Mid west     good source for motor parts     bought out stock from   JANS PISTONS    E mail me    bobnroman@yahoo.com

On 10/23/2019 at 7:57 AM, Restorer32 said:

Several years ago we needed pistons for a '49 Olds Rocket 88. We contacted Egge and they told us they had had a fire and their foundry pattern for the particular size piston we needed had burned up in the fire. No problem. We called another of the nationally known piston "manufacturers" and coincidentally they had also had a fire that destroyed their pattern for our pistons. A third call was made to another national piston supplier and lo and behold they also had a fire and lost their pattern. Finally we contracted with Ross to make us a set of forged piston. Nice people to deal with, still a family business. Moral of the story is do not confuse piston resellers with piston manufacturers. To be fair, we have used many pistons and other parts sourced thru Egge and have had only one problem, a set of Packard pistons that came with several cracked wrist pins.

I had a gentleman who told me he had a packard engine redone with Egge pistons and after just a short time the engine failed due to piston failure. Believe he’s from PA or NY. Curious if this is the same car?

I had good service out of two sets of EGGE cast pistons.  One piston needed to be knurled after 90,000 miles.  I suspect my forged pistons in the engine now will outlast me.

Twelve dollars each for my cast ones verses two hundred dollars for the forged ones.  You buy what you can get.  If you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

I talked with Egge, Aries, and Ross about a set for my 31 Pierce Arrow before having read anything on this thread. I was surprised to hear about Egge having issues as they were the go-to place for many years, but even so, I was leaning towards Ross for the lighter forged pistons utilizing modern style rings which are vastly improved from what was original equipment. The price difference is less than $250 for the set of 8 and Aries were a few hundred more. I haven’t placed my order yet as I’m still thinking about the alternatives...

A good discussion even though I don’t think we are helping the OP much.

19 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I talked with Egge, Aries, and Ross about a set for my 31 Pierce Arrow before having read anything on this thread. I was surprised to hear about Egge having issues as they were the go-to place for many years, but even so, I was leaning towards Ross for the lighter forged pistons utilizing modern style rings which are vastly improved from what was original equipment. The price difference is less than $250 for the set of 8 and Aries were a few hundred more. I haven’t placed my order yet as I’m still thinking about the alternatives...

A good discussion even though I don’t think we are helping the OP much.

Thanks for the info. I have contacted Egge for pistons for my 27 Pontiac several years ago, the better customer service experience with Arias and a better price earned my business.  I was very happy with the forged Arias pistons using modern rings. While looking for REO pistons I was given a lead for Ross pistons and the price and customer service is attractive. I will wait for Arias (now part of Cellio) to give me an estimate, but EC Campbell & Ross are looking good.

14 hours ago, Ian1965 said:

Thanks for the info. I have contacted Egge for pistons for my 27 Pontiac several years ago, the better customer service experience with Arias and a better price earned my business.  I was very happy with the forged Arias pistons using modern rings. While looking for REO pistons I was given a lead for Ross pistons and the price and customer service is attractive. I will wait for Arias (now part of Cellio) to give me an estimate, but EC Campbell & Ross are looking good.

Yes, agree, but can you (or anyone), tell me/us who Cellio and EC Campbell are ?     Thanks,    -    Carl 

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Most of us are running Aries in our 1935-1936 Auburns - a long time favorite by the fellow who rebuilds most of our engines. 

Sidenote:  I doubt any of us prices shopped - we all go for what we know are in cars out touring without issue.

And many Franklins are now running with Ross high compression pistons. Higher compression, lighter - and contrary to what some say about forged pistons - they are quieter than Egge's of the same bore size. 

Plus, they work very well with the new type  1/16 inch, two compression low-drag rings,....  which the Series 15 set in the picture are machined for. Even at boosting it up to 7:1 compression, it's still very easy to turn the motor over by hand or by starter motor. Yet blow-by oil contamination is greatly reduced compared to the original 1/8 inch, three compression cast iron ring sets.

Paul

Forged pistons 001.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

Yes, agree, but can you (or anyone), tell me/us who Cellio and EC Campbell are ?     Thanks,    -    Carl 

google Ross pistons and Campbell will come up... Google Arias and the new owner of that brand will come up. 

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Most of us are running Aries in our 1935-1936 Auburns - a long time favorite by the fellow who rebuilds most of our engines. 

Sidenote:  I doubt any of us prices shopped - we all go for what we know are in cars out touring without issue.

I too, have no complaints with Arias.

2 hours ago, Ian1965 said:

google Ross pistons and Campbell will come up... Google Arias and the new owner of that brand will come up. 

Campbell is just one of the Ross dealers.

Keep scrolling down the search page and you'll come to Ross's website. Click on the "About us" link and you'll see Campbell listed as one of their dealers. 

https://www.rosspistons.com/about/

Campbell's site also comes up in a search for "Arias Pistons".

My machine shop deals directly with Ross when we order pistons - no middleman.

Paul

Ross was recommended to me by a fellow 32’ Olds owner who happens to own a very large and sophisticated engine rebuild shop in NY. My dilemma was the 32’ Olds pistons are an odd duck and Ross already had the specs because of the other owner having them previously design pistons for him. When I called Mike @Ross, I gave him the other Olds guys work order number. Mike was able to bring it up in the system and all I had to do was supply him with the required oversize. When they were getting ready to finalize the job prior to producing them, Mike called and recommended that we cut down the length of the full bore width wrist pins the Olds originally used.   there is more than enough meat in the bolsters so we shortened them and used internal clips. This also reduced the upper end weight enough Mike felt that would allow for snappier accelerating. I was very impressed with their professionalism and knowledge plus they delivered three weeks ahead of the estimated time.

I didn’t call Arias but was told that they didn’t have the specs by the other Olds owner and Egge wanted $1,260 for six cast units, no rings! Judging by most comments here the A’s and R’s have the vote!

18 hours ago, chistech said:

Ross was recommended to me by a fellow 32’ Olds owner who happens to own a very large and sophisticated engine rebuild shop in NY. My dilemma was the 32’ Olds pistons are an odd duck and Ross already had the specs because of the other owner having them previously design pistons for him. When I called Mike @Ross, I gave him the other Olds guys work order number. Mike was able to bring it up in the system and all I had to do was supply him with the required oversize. When they were getting ready to finalize the job prior to producing them, Mike called and recommended that we cut down the length of the full bore width wrist pins the Olds originally used.   there is more than enough meat in the bolsters so we shortened them and used internal clips. This also reduced the upper end weight enough Mike felt that would allow for snappier accelerating. I was very impressed with their professionalism and knowledge plus they delivered three weeks ahead of the estimated time.

I didn’t call Arias but was told that they didn’t have the specs by the other Olds owner and Egge wanted $1,260 for six cast units, no rings! Judging by most comments here the A’s and R’s have the vote!

I think you chose the wise path given your automobile. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PFitz said:

And many Franklins are now running with Ross high compression pistons. Higher compression, lighter - and contrary to what some say about forged pistons - they are quieter than Egge's of the same bore size. 

Plus, they work very well with the new type  1/16 inch, two compression low-drag rings,....  which the Series 15 set in the picture are machined for. Even at boosting it up to 7:1 compression, it's still very easy to turn the motor over by hand or by starter motor. Yet blow-by oil contamination is greatly reduced compared to the original 1/8 inch, three compression cast iron ring sets.

Paul

Forged pistons 001.jpg

Nice, I am glad there is a solution manufactured.  I was fortunate enough to have a Franklin with very low miles so we knurled the skirts and re-fit - there was across the board thinking at the time (1979) via various pistons made as a substitute for the original uni-strut matched to the challenges of the engine and no one was happy with any solution.