Unsecured '67 Chevelle rolls off trailer on freeway and causes an accident....

Lebowski

What kind of an idiot puts a car on a trailer without strapping/chaining it down and then gets out on an interstate highway? That's what happened recently in Washington state. Click on the second (smaller) video to see the driverless car crash into the center divider. Don't forget to make it full screen....

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/video-unoccupied-classic-muscle-car-wrecks

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

I think the guy who put the car on the trailer without securing it/tying it down must be related to the people who come to my flea market spot at Hershey and think they will buy an item they see that they really like for a lower offer - like $15 for an item I have marked $200, same mentality , maybe, perhaps, sort of. 😮

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lucky nobody was killed or hurt in the making of this video.  However if you read the towing forum, it not surprising that it dosen't happem more often.

Many people us PARK as a brake when parking.  Do they know that it is only a 3/16" pin in the transmission that stops it from turning?   Does not sound

like a good brake system to me, especially  if taking a ride on a car trailer .

You should see some of the half-assed tow rigs/trailers that show up in my parking lot to take cars home. These guys buy a $50,000 car and in order to save a few hundred bucks, they rent a lawn mower trailer and tie it down with rope or cables and drag it home behind their V6 Explorer. Or if they hire a "professional" through some online booking service where it's cheap, they get farm trailers and flatbeds made for backhoes with guys who plan to tie it down with chains.

Many people are very dumb. Combine that with cheap and you get what you see in the video.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 48Firetruck said:

I'm trying to figure out how the car with the dash cam hit it. You could see it coming from two lanes away for several seconds on camera and probably much longer than that in real life. Seems like there should have been enough time to sip some coffee, change the radio station and still be able to avoid the impact.

Exactly the comment I made when I first saw this on Facebook yesterday.

Of course, if you are looking at your phone and not the road...

5 hours ago, Lebowski said:

What kind of an idiot puts a car on a trailer without strapping/chaining it down and then gets out on an interstate highway?

OK, seriously? If the car wasn't chained down and wasn't in gear, do you REALLY think it would have gotten THIS far? I've seen nylon tiedown straps break, which is why I always attach a safety chain in addition to using straps on my trailer.

• Like 1

38 years ago I bought a 1913 T where the rear wheels rolled off the trailer. Being held by the rear straps only from letting it off totally. The new front tow strap I used that went from side to side came apart . Very lucky with no damage and now always use a separate one in each corner. 

9 hours ago, 48Firetruck said:

I'm trying to figure out how the car with the dash cam hit it. You could see it coming from two lanes away for several seconds on camera and probably much longer than that in real life. Seems like there should have been enough time to sip some coffee, change the radio station and still be able to avoid the impact.

I think the camera car hit the Chevelle on purpose because the Chevelle wasn't supposed to change lanes into the carpool lane (or whatever it's called) from that part of the freeway. So instead of only having to fix his heavily damaged Chevelle the owner also has to deal with the jerk in the camera car....

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

I think the camera car hit the Chevelle on purpose because the Chevelle wasn't supposed to change lanes into the carpool lane (or whatever it's called) from that part of the freeway. So instead of only having to fix his heavily damaged Chevelle the owner also has to deal with the jerk in the camera car....

Perhaps he/she was on the phone like many other drivers today and really didn't notice until contact was made.  As Gomer Pyle would say" Surprise, Surprise, Surprise"

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

12 hours ago, 48Firetruck said:

Really? 

My dad loved to tell of the time on a four lane road, he pulled up to a red light, he in the right lane. To his left, a ton or so flatbed truck with one of the largest old iron and concrete safes you have ever seen sitting on the back. He wasn't thinking much about it. But when the light turned green, my dad started forward, looked over his shoulder and watched as the safe stayed right where it was as the flatbed truck drove out from under it. The four iron wheels under the safe went right off the edge of the bed, the two wheels closest to the back first tipped the safe back and the second set of wheels flipped the bottom up so that the safe landed flat on its side in the middle of the road.

My dad taught me well. I always have at least two tie-downs forward (often three with a front rail as well), and at least two tie-downs back. All independent. Any one breaks? No problem. And I check ALL tie-downs, hitches, and chains at every stop.

Most people today really are stupid. They arrogantly believe the road ahead belongs to them alone, and make NO attempt to avoid hitting even the obvious. I have watched helplessly as drivers ahead of me have hit deer standing still, a table dropped in the road (also not moving!), stalled cars, barricades with flashing lights, even fallen trees. I frankly do not know if autonomous cars are going to make things better? Or worse!!?

Edited by wayne sheldon
Typo, I hate to leave a typo! (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the car itself could speak in a beautiful loving wife tone...

REALLY,,,!?  I go through life for 52 years without as much as a dent and here you come along and claim your going to treat me right, now look at me!

How am I supposed to go to car shows looking like this? 

You call  yourself Hotrod....more like NIMROD!

The guys that do these things really shouldn't even have a license to drive in my view. Anyone that is this negligent shouldn't be fined $280 but should loose their license for a minimum of one year for putting innocent lives at risk (excluding mechanical failure out of ones control or faulty equipment). You'd see a lot less of this if they cracked down on it like drunk driving.

Getting tired of seeing portable toilets, sofas, fridges, dressers etc... scattered on highways without some kind of responsibility. 

I'm the last to agree with regulations that are idiotic and trample on our civil liberties  but something really needs to be done about drivers who are this careless.

A 67 Chevelle.  Really?

Why couldn't it have at least been a Pinto or Chevette to ease our pain...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Getting tired of seeing portable toilets, sofas, fridges, dressers etc... scattered on highways without some kind of responsibility.

Ever wondered how a bicycle would bounce? I was doing about 70 mph on a four lane freeway in heavy traffic when a van passed me (must have been doing close to 90!). He was less than a hundred feet ahead of me when the bicycle came off the back. A bicycle bounces like a football. First one way. Then another. It went from lane to lane to lane, then back and again. I did a masterful job of missing it (and all the other cars!) if I do say so myself.

I avoided a full-grown bear one night. It was a dark and moonless night, a bit of rain had fallen, and everything was really dark way out on a two-lane road. But I saw it, a big black thing in the middle of the black road. The very first thought I had was "Some idiot dropped a sofa in the middle of the road!" Why would I think such a thing? Simply because I had avoided several sofas and/or folding recliners dropped in the road over the years. I didn't realize it was a bear until after I braked and went by at a safe speed. It was the first bear I had seen ON the road. So naturally my first thought was it would be a sofa.

As I said. My dad taught me well. Plan ahead. Look ahead. Be prepared to change your plans on a moment's notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

As I said. My dad taught me well. Plan ahead. Look ahead. Be prepared to change your plans on a moment's notice.

I would only add - "and never let them pinch you in".

Looking far ahead and having an exit plan for every situation is a must, I couldn't agree more... which is why I never ride next to anyone. I will either speed up or slow down but I never get pinched in for that very reason, just incase I need to react at a moments notice without even looking to see what's next to me.

None of us are perfect by any means, but at least we've caught our error before pulling away or before getting up to a dangerous speed. I'm sure we've all forgotten one thing or another but the horror once we realize our mistake is enough to keep most of us in check and accountable for the next trip. Seems that these knuckleheads have no warning system built into their DNA let alone live by Safety First mentality. 

I have always wondered what a bicycle would do... now I know. Must of felt like a gigantic pinball game of sorts. Boing, doing, bing, bang, thud...

I wonder if that's where the term "triple axle" came from? 🚲😉

When I was learning, well, actually I like to think I never stopped learning, but years ago, they called it "wolf packing". Bunches of cars all clustered together with large empty areas between them.  Like you, I will speed up, or slow down, and get into the emptier areas. Everybody does make mistakes. Even me. Whether it is me, or somebody else making the "oops". I like to have a way out.

In case you missed them, there are two pics of the Chevelle showing close-ups of the damage below the link to the video. It looks like the car had no interior or windshield (unless it was broken during the crash). Both mags on the driver's side took a beating too. Click on the pics to make them full screen. I tried to add them here but couldn't figure out how.... :blink:

28 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

tried to add them here but couldn't figure out how.... :blink:

Like this. 😁

Select the image you want, right click, select "View Image", right click, select "Copy image location", then come back to this page and select the "insert other media" button in the lower RH corner of the response box.

wreck.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

7 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

When I was learning, well, actually I like to think I never stopped learning, but years ago, they called it "wolf packing". Bunches of cars all clustered together with large empty areas between them.  Like you, I will speed up, or slow down, and get into the emptier areas. Everybody does make mistakes. Even me. Whether it is me, or somebody else making the "oops". I like to have a way out.

You watch a bit of NACAR don't you? 😉

Bob 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W_Higgins said:

The probably just got the year wrong.  I'll bet it was this car on the way home from the body shop:

You're getting your Chevelle accidents confused. This video (below) is the '70 Chevelle hitting the brick wall which was in an earlier thread....

3 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

You're getting your Chevelle accidents confused. This video (below) is the '70 Chevelle hitting the brick wall which was in an earlier thread....

Woosh.  That's the sound of what was supposed to be a joke going over your head.  😄

“ Failure to secure a load “ can mean many different things ....

0CD0832A-AF51-4CFC-A8A0-CD575A590136.thumb.png.bb1fa499beaabfba2a8a4dea3445a942.png

That car would have probably come off that trailer immediately if it had if it had never been secured to begin with ( as has been mentioned earlier ).

Anything could have happened to unsecure the car - including someone trying to steal the car or sabotage the load.

I see some sc@ry @ss sh!t just about every day in a different state.

A few days ago in Nevada along I - 80 .... nearly new $20K plus Can Am on a POS trailer ( note the curb side “ matching tires “ ).

I didn’t notice a trailer spare ...

Jim

79E83611-F0E6-4E1B-99B2-BFC1972AFE05.thumb.jpeg.5849aba743b5f263529703a2c6b408df.jpeg

DB749F55-09E8-41FF-BFAE-32E8C98EA508.thumb.jpeg.3f981271aebd7934e19b73be0b054d37.jpeg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

When leaving the local dirt track there used to be a state cop staged regularly by the freeway on ramp.

He pulled me over one night because my lights were unplugged,

He commented on my trailer. (its not a POS).

He said that he could not understand how these guys throw big bucks into a racecar (not uncommon to have 50K or more into a dirt late model) and haul them around on trailers that shouldn't even be on the road.

And yes it was not uncommon to hear the rumors about lost cars like this around the pits.

One guy showed me a pic of his tow truck. It was a pick up chassis that hauled a car at a very steep angle with the front of the hauled car over the windshield of the pick up.

He only tied down for the car not to roll backwards and it was on such a steep incline that it shouldn't ever roll forward.

Well he slammed on his brakes so as not to hit the guy in front of him, however he deposited his derby car on the poor guys roof front bumper first.

My other steam thing is an 8000 pound steam tugboat, it has a tandem axle trailer under it that I bought used and fitted it up, it had mobile home axles under it. I pulled the grease cups and the wheel bearings looked like they had plenty of grease, the first time I hauled it, on the expressway one the bearing cages came apart and I lost the whole big heavy wheel and hub, almost hit a guy on a motorcycle, it went down across the median in to heavy oncoming traffic went down between all the cars and never touched anyone, then rolled up the embankment on the other side stopped and fell over in the grass. Scared the heck out of me. Since then, I buy a new trailer, I pull the wheels and check/replace and pack the bearings.

That guy is lucky that wasn't a divided highway and the car didn't easily go in to oncoming traffic, he could have killed someone.

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)

NEVER TRUST MOBILE HOME AXLES, WHEELS, or TIRES!!!!!!!

Thirty five years of my life was in systems contracting. Among the many more interesting places, mobile home parks have independently owned communications, electrical, and water systems. As such, we did a fair amount of working mobile home parks. Along with that, we got a good inside look at the mobile home industry. Mobile home axles, wheels, and tires, for many decades, were designed as a single use item. They had special exemptions from highways legislation over quality and safety. They were NOT made to last! Prior to about 1990, they were actually required by law in many states to be left under the mobile home. The tires are intended for a thousand miles, OR LESS! The bearings are not intended to last!

In the 1990s, some of those laws changed. Used axles along with their wheels and tires were harvested to be reconditioned, and often reused, but still for only a single use short distance again.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 5:13 PM, 39BuickEight said:

That’s a daily sight here in Kentucky.  If your ATV isn’t worth 20x your trailer, you’re doing it wrong.  Gotta get all you can out of it until it gets repossessed.

It's not a daily sight here in the Louisville area. You must live out in the sticks....

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, Trulyvintage said:

“ Failure to secure a load “ can mean many different things ....

That car would have probably come off that trailer immediately if it had if it had never been secured to begin with ( as has been mentioned earlier ).

Anything could have happened to unsecure the car - including someone trying to steal the car or sabotage the load.

Attempted theft of cargo or sabotage does not absolve the vehicle operator of responsibility.  State and Provincial laws require a daily walk-around of one's vehicle with a checklist when they are in fleet use.

As a reminder, all the city vehicles and several oil company fleets have this immediately above the driver's outside door handle.

https://www.westernsafetysign.com/products/vehicle-check

Craig

50 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

It's not a daily sight here in the Louisville area. You must live out in the sticks....

It's anywhere outside Jefferson, Fayette, Boone, or Kenton county (and those places too from time to time)--just the other 116 counties lol.  It has nothing to do with where I live.  I travel the entire state for both of my jobs.   I am on the road many hours every day.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

NEVER TRUST MOBILE HOME AXLES, WHEELS, or TIRES!!!!!!!

Thirty five years of my life was in systems contracting. Among the many more interesting places, mobile home parks have independently owned communications, electrical, and water systems. As such, we did a fair amount of working mobile home parks. Along with that, we got a good inside look at the mobile home industry. Mobile home axles, wheels, and tires, for many decades, were designed as a single use item. They had special exemptions from highways legislation over quality and safety. They were NOT made to last! Prior to about 1990, they were actually required by law in many states to be left under the mobile home. The tires are intended for a thousand miles, OR LESS! The bearings are not intended to last!

In the 1990s, some of those laws changed. Used axles along with their wheels and tires were harvested to be reconditioned, and often reused, but still for only a single use short distance again.

Yeah, I received a crash course in dealing with them. After that incident, I put all new bearings in and replaced all the mobile home tires at 140 dollars a piece, I went to New York and back, about 1500 miles, the tires were shot - about 700 bucks down the tubes. I then replaced all of the hubs with 6 bolt standard trailer hubs with brake drums from E-trailer, and as someone else mentioned, yes they had no brakes thinking back about it, so I welded on brackets for backing plates. Then bought four new wagon wheel trailer wheels with radial tires, then a set of bearing buddies, rides good, holds up and stops on a dime. Don't mess with mobile home axles unless the hubs are swapped out for real trailer wheels.

I wonder why they opt to use components that don't last long for mobile home wheels etc. The good stuff is probably the same price or even less money. It's like they design it to wear out quickly. Those big heavy hubs have got to be pretty expensive to produce. Anyways, glad that stuff is all gone. Pretty inexpensive conversion too, cheaper than buying a new set of axles.

It is surprising the DOT doesn't require them to have trailer brakes, every other multi-axle trailer has to have them. Here in Michigan, they go after these landscapers etc pulling trailers with no brakes.

-Ron