Car Identification

em.t.ea

This car passed by me on the highway and I cannot get it out of my head! I am a Volkswagen/Porsche/pickup fan, but I may just convert to the old metal buckets if I can find out make model and year of this beast. Please let me know if anyone knows the answer to this. Thanks in advance! 

19ACBF3F-C8C8-4694-8A91-495E4CC9A9B2.jpeg

2829731A-D8DB-45A6-8AD2-69DC80E61E45.jpeg

ACC67422-232A-4E17-BD1B-40679A59FDC1.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

1960 and 1961 Starliner's are hard to find.  

Yeah, no doubt. And for this reason (and the fact that they're pretty cool looking), these 2-door hardtop Fords are SUPER desirable. 

We had one show up at one of our swap meets with a SOHC 427 engine in it. The crowd went wild. 

• Like 2

July 1962:   After being stationed in the orient for two years, I was leaving North Island NAS using  the ferry boat  the "nickle snacher" which left us off at the food of Market street in San Diego harbor.

I saw the most beautiful convertible, light purple incolor, with white interior stopped at the light and then drive by..............................!!

When I learned it was a previous years old  car...................

I could not believe what Ford did the following years for styling.

ACC67422-232A-4E17-BD1B-40679A59FDC1.jpeg

When the sun is setting, or just starting to rise is my favorite time to take pictures. Much better than in the glare of midday sun, like most car show pictures are taken.

I think that's one of the reasons this picture came out so well.

twilight
the soft glowing light from the sky when the sun is below the horizon, caused by the refraction and scattering of the sun's rays from the atmosphere.

13 hours ago, mike6024 said:

When the sun is setting, or just starting to rise is my favorite time to take pictures. Much better than in the glare of midday sun, like most car show pictures are taken.

I think that's one of the reasons this picture came out so well.

twilight
the soft glowing light from the sky when the sun is below the horizon, caused by the refraction and scattering of the sun's rays from the atmosphere.

Photographers call the hour before sunrise and after sunset the "magic hour." You just can't replicate that light in a studio and it really does transform photos from ho-hum to spectacular, just like these.

Although Ford's production numbers stayed pretty consistent, when compared with previous years, the new compacts cut into the numbers of full sized cars produced in 1960. I don't think that the little transitional, half fin ever really found favor with the buying public. The 1960 Ford looks go today, but I was ready for the more cleaner looking 1961, when it arrived.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, Lebowski said:

The '60 Ford is very similar to the '60 Edsel. They both came down the assembly line together in Louisville....

IMG_0329.JPG

The 1960 Edsel's with the Starliner style roof are pretty rare. Slightly less than 300 built. 1960 Starliner on the other hand was reasonably numerous, 68,400 

Greg in Canada

1960-edsel-ranger-2.jpg

12 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I love the 1960 Ford. They seem to be rare and not liked by many for some reason.

As I recall from the 1970's era when I was in my 20's and street racing a lot, etc, my fellow car buddies and I turned our noses up at nearly all of the cars from the 1958-61 model years. It seems to me that these cars were not yet considered as "cool" as 1955-57 stuff, nor were they competitive on the street against Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers, etc, etc  (for racing and hot rodding, etc), and they rusted out SO quickly here in Ohio. I personally thought 1961 Impalas were ugly back then, and I was a Chevy guy. But today, the "bubble top" 61 & 62 Chevy and 1960 & 61 Fords are really sought-after, and hard to find. And today I think the bubble-top cars are gorgeous. Even so, most of them rusted out and were junked. Today, very, very few reproduction sheet metal parts are available yet. 

One bright note: Auto Metal Direct from the Atlanta, Georgia area has recently launched new sheet metal parts for some Fords OTHER than Mustangs. Specifically 1963 & 64 fastback Galaxies, 1966 & 67 Fairlane 2-door hardtops, and 1968 & 69 Fairlane & Torino fastback models. It is likely that their decisions on producing any additional Ford sheet metal will rest on how popular or unpopular these new parts will be. I have visited their facility, and the new parts are amazing. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)