1950 Nash Ambassador Airflyte - I Am Smitten

Trulyvintage

I had the opportunity to view a small collection in the Verde Valley Tuesday.

What caught my eye was this 1950 Nash Ambassador Airflyte that came from California to Arizona.

Pretty much original with a replacement visor and some interior trim repair replacement.

I backed it out of the garage to take these images in the light.

I am thinking of buying it ....

Your thoughts as to fair market value ?

Jim

A36C7BF8-D3CD-40EC-BD60-F2BE713A14AA.jpeg.7b092192a8ffa07590e4842b27bc88d9.jpeg

31EE5052-44D0-44F1-9463-D20A81713B05.jpeg.4c709dfb2a17f4a343bf73f8c777df14.jpeg

0EC69F2C-6573-4A48-8B21-D768CF1323CD.jpeg.5c8ad504149d0e2b8fdc43a4865001f3.jpeg

0C4FD955-A7C5-402B-B8F9-B9BEE5690CE5.jpeg.20e138f3972355f166df63d59ac8a64f.jpeg

530B529C-705A-433E-A77A-251BAA4118E0.jpeg.334cfe837c252add1314c2186483f429.jpeg

82A74716-1870-458C-B626-4B82E96B575B.jpeg.84971be6b01e396febfc2ceeef8bf7b7.jpeg

C64EDB6E-8633-4C1C-B1F2-5E08F214C1E9.jpeg.a60e344abd1ff352d116514845063909.jpeg

• Like 1

Engine had been “ freshened up “.

Sounded great.....

6 volt original wiring doesn’t look like it has been messed with.

In neutral - starter is engaged by depressing the clutch pedal.

Reverse - Neutral - First shift smooth.

Jim

04AEABD4-E657-432E-A341-330B40BCCB1A.jpeg.b8681d6d645843d2f1c5eccb08897763.jpeg

F13BC8BE-A60D-48A1-A3D6-3081EAB7C41D.jpeg.b1eced146ef0399ea8822bc460f79ddd.jpeg

How much work can you do or are capable of doing to bring the car to the level you will be happy with? or is is just fine the way it is ? Rewire would be a safe thing to consider, it will need some attention to paint work as well, can you accomplish this? ( even if it is just a wet sand and polish - that is a lot of time and effort).  Think of the time and effort you will need to put in on the car over a span of time. Also if you think something will take 2 hours to do double or triple that figure .Solid car but also a project - but perhaps one that can be worked on while being used. Best of luck with your decision.

• Like 2

Thanks,

I would not paint it.

The current owner drove it as is.

The tires are just a few years old

and it has been garaged out of the sun.

I would drive it just as it is.

The front passenger window needs replacing.

Nice catch on the 2016 license tag.

That ad link is for a four door model.

It has minor dents - no bondo or sheet metal repair that I can see.

Exterior paint might be original.

Jim

44F47372-08DF-4403-B583-C0636F1D2E21.jpeg.2220aeb00e36c9b87cb4731cade8151e.jpeg

9B4BF8A5-36EB-4C23-9A24-A2FC17F06351.jpeg.1953d1eb55a5659d9d25eaa98873a433.jpeg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think they are very cool. Not particularly desirable or valuable, but definitely a stand-out at any show. They also have decent road manners and the back seat with the club seating (two arm chairs) is the coolest thing ever. If the price is right for you, grab it and have fun. If it's a functional car, you can enjoy it as you fix it up and it will constantly get better. And I promise you'll always have the only one, no matter where you go. If it were mine, I'd ditch the visor (which seems to be fighting with the aerodynamic look) and add some trim rings and/or ditch the whitewalls to make the wheels look complete, but that's just me. Buff it up and get on the road!

If it's solid and complete and operational, that's a great car that will never be outrageously expensive to own and enjoy. Do it!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think I may have seen the Leno video - I recall that a video camera in the rear package tray aimed toward the driver made it seem as though it was a very long distance from the camera to the front seat.

I have no clue about the value, but, these are some of my very favorite cars from that era.  So very different from anything else on the road, then AND now.  Should you end up buying it, just prepare yourself for the occasional comment from someone about it's being an ugly, weird car.  You'll get plenty of compliments about how it looks, its lineage, etc.  You will also get the negative stuff from some who don't understand it because, in their view, it isn't sporty looking and doesn't have a high performance drivetrain.

Hopefully, you can look past those types. 

Thanks Matt,

This Nash comes from a small but impressive collection.

The other cars have received proper quality restoration work.

I would not find it appealing if it were a four door model - there is just something so appealing about that single long door.

I can’t really find comparable sale results on the old interweb ....

Jim

Jim, I was not suggesting a total repaint, but in areas where there is rust even just from chips along edges that I see in the photographs it would be wise to  sand and prime and then touch up that area which can be done with a small " touch up/ door jamb " spray  gun you can buy at Harbor Freight for little $ or an air brush. My guess is the paint is lacquer and a quart of black acrylic lacquer should be easy enough to purchase. Replacing original wiring that looks sound but has totally dried out insulation is a very wise thing to do . If it looks good it doesn't mean it is good, could be  fire waiting to happen.

Well I hope you get it.  I like them a lot, too.

That car has the great combination of being a 2 door and having the best hind end of the series (rounder than the 51).  The club seating would hit it out of the park.

The only questions is can you live with the interior & paint?  I think those couple of dings could be worked out really well.

As a delivery agent you must see lots of enticing offers - if this is the one - then good luck to you.

“ Trulyvintage “ for me - means if it ain’t broke - don’t fix it.

If it runs — drives - stops - starts ....

That is good enough for me.

I love the dings & dents - they were earned over a life of service - no other Nash is quite the same.

The interior is intact - I would maybe throw a blanket on the front seat.

Jim

• Like 2

If it was me I would not worry about "market value" too much. It is almost unique in that I think it will be a long, long time before you could find one in that condition again. Most were rusted out by the mid fifties. If you can afford it - buy it and enjoy it - if you don't you will be kicking yourself in a few years. We seldom regret things we do, we always regret those things we didn't do.

They do tend to float a bit when old - if you can find some heavy duty shocks for it buy them. You need a football field to turn it around and changing a flat tire is a bit of a pain. But the styling is, to me, beyond reproach. And the "Weather eye" heating system was the best there was at the time...

3 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

I had the opportunity to view a small collection in the Verde Valley Tuesday.

What caught my eye was this 1950 Nash Ambassador Airflyte that came from California to Arizona.

Pretty much original with a replacement visor and some interior trim repair replacement.

I backed it out of the garage to take these images in the light.

I am thinking of buying it ....

Your thoughts as to fair market value ?

Jim

Jim,

I was sent this link not two days ago and thought it might help you as to asking price anyway.

www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/nash/ambassador/2246300.html?refer=news

I have a 1951 Nash Canadian Statesman that is a 4 dr 100,000 mile all original flat head 6 that has been in the family since 1968 and Haggerty has it valued (for insurance purposes) at 8500 Canadian. 

1156377336_Wambo2007-pic1_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.904910e987feb7cf47c047523ae2f72a.jpg

The one you are considering has some positives: the 6 cylinder overhead valve design versus the flat head (likely a little bit more power?), a 2 door versus the 4 door, and as JRHaelig has said, a very appealing unique rear design which as you say is maybe weird to some but definitely not everyone can say they have them or have seen many!

The old thinking of if it said F**d or C^^V on it you could triple the price just makes a Nash that much more affordable in my humble opinion... 

There is a slogan I've heard a few times, "Save your Cash, Buy a Nash"

Besides, if it will get you to where you need to go and back and you get one thumbs up, that makes it all worth it!

Good luck with your decision!

13 minutes ago, 23hack said:

No cast iron exhaust manifold ? I've never seen that done on an auto engine !  

That is the design used on the 6's.

Looks more like an exhaust pipe using gaskets at the block exhaust ports and clamps to keep from leaking.

From experience watched Dad fiddle with it before he got ours quiet but it works.

Great looking survivor  and as others have said likely to be the only one at any show within 1000 miles. When not spending a ton of money, my view is the most important factors are personal appeal, reliability, and refurbishment costs. From the sound of your enthusiastic opening title, I'd say  and #1 and 3 are settled and as for reliability, if its is for 1000-2000 miles a year, should be fine as is. As for price, the 2 Canadian references around $9000 translate to about $6500USD. Your car being a 2 door adds to value and desirability, so something in the $8K-10K range should be a great buy. But, if I loved the car, I'd be pushing the envelope.

Hey Jim,

Agree, great looking car.

I know it's tough to find a good comp but this 1950 Nash 2 door sold on eBay just 2 months ago for $3.650:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Nash-600-/273669214067?hash=item3fb7f4cf73%3Ag%3A2~oAAOSwVYhb46CT&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500&nma=true&si=Q%2Fh59Xn1lXFH5zN1jDrdzMe8YXw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

nash1.jpg

If you're going to buy the Nash be sure to check and replace the torque tube drive stabilizer trunnion.  NashRamblerRubber.com still has some.  When the trunnion is soft or fails, it won't drive straight. The rear wheels will steer the car because the old trunnion allows them to move left and right.  It looks like a rubber doughnut seal or cushion where the torque tube connects to the transmission. It prevents the covered driveshaft and rear wheels from  moving forward or sideways when decelerating. 

We had a trunion that  was bad on a 57 AMC Rambler and it drove the young mechanics crazy figuring out why the car was driving crooked.  After much trial and error replacing front end parts and adjustments we finally found the right torque tube part at www.nashramblerrubber.com. Fixed the problem and the Rambler steered and stopped safely again. It has the same driveline as the Nash Ambassador, Nash Healey and Hudson Hornet.  There are photos on the website. Good luck on the Nash. It should be a fun car to drive.

Edited by ambo (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

something in the $8K-10K range should be a great buy.

I was reading along thinking $8,000 to $12,000, but I always get accused of paying too much for whatever I get.

The purchase price is only the entry fee anyway. You will spend a lot more while you own it. But I think you know that.

There are quite frequent threads on here asking about values, buying or selling. Very few times do we see a follow up stating the transaction final price. If you buy it and manage to cough up the price you may set a precedent.

Bernie

'64 Riviera $2100

'60 Electra $900

'86 Electra $500

'94 Chev Impala $8,500

'03 BMW 760 $7,200

'39 Allis-Chalmers $1600

5 hours ago, 23hack said:

No cast iron exhaust manifold ? I've never seen that done on an auto engine !  

Nash started doing this prewar in the late 30's, they relied on the passages in the head to preheat the mixture instead of a cast manifold. Strange but it made it easy for me to make headers on my '40/'41 inline straight 8.

6 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Jay Leno did a video on one he owns.

Called it a “ GOG “ ( good old gal ).

He liked the honesty.

Nash claimed to have 8000 welds on

the Ambassador.

Jim

I too have watched this video many times, I was taken by Nash styling and have kept an eye open for on of these at a reasonable price but no luck yet. Looks like a great example, I think you would be popular at the car shows!

I like the car! We are not talking about a high dollar car, so who cares about a few dollars one way or the other. What is the owner asking, or are you just expecting to give him an offer. The owner is a collector so he knows what he wants for the car, if he even wants to sell it. If you really want to buy the car, and I think you should, let him tell you what he wants for the car. Unless you are willing to walk away, resist making a low-ball bid. It's very easy to alienate an owner, by showing a lack of respect for his car, or his right to determine it's value. 

• Like 1

This is a unibody. Have a good look at the front floorboards. Crawl under and look at that same area underneath. The frame "rail" (sheetmetal) runs right through there. When the seals leak, water drips right on it.

If you jack it up, do so only by the axles, no other way (unless you know exactly what you are doing).  The unibody structure is easy to damage.

They were quite the car in their day. Ambassador was top of the Nash lineup with long wheelbase, overhead valve six cylinder engine, full coil spring suspension on all 4 wheels and the best heating and ventilating system of the day. The coil spring suspension gave them the best shockproof ride of any car. They were way ahead of their time in unit construction and aerodynamic body work, something the rest of the industry didn't care about until the 1980s.

Best known for comfort and advanced design. A well made car.  I don't know of any special defects. But like all cars of that day they require a lot more regular maintenance than today's cars. But most of it is easy and cheap to do, like regular oil changes and grease jobs and annual tuneups. Best thing would be to get the factory owner's manual and repair manuals and go by them.

Here is Jay Leno's. He mentions that this car weighs only 3400 pounds, about 500 to 1000 pounds less than a 2019 Ford Taurus. But put the 2 cars side by side and see which has more room and comfort.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jim, the Nash has a lot going for it. You don't see too many 2 door Ambassadors, and it looks like a solid car from the pictures. If you get a feel for it, and you can work it within your budget, buy it. I have seen nice ones go between $8 to $10 grand, and that is a great car for the money. I have a friend who owns a 1949 600, had it for many years, and just loves it. Can't go wrong. Good luck . John

These don't get any respect. It makes no sense to me. They are great cars. Mine was a 51 Statesman (600). I daily drove it in the 80s, mostly in the winter (no salt here). I thought It would just get stuck everywhere because of those enclosed fenders, and you did need to be a bit careful about that, but these cars go like crazy in the snow. The heater, as Rusty mentioned, is incredible.

It was a very reliable car. It always started easily in the bitter cold, but since it was 6 volts I could no longer give my friends (who couldn't be bothered to keep their battery terminals clean) jump starts anymore. After a while I started carrying a 12 volt battery in the trunk.....

I was the second owner of my Nash. I thought that was remarkable when I first got it, but as it turns out, one-owner Nashes were fairly common at that time. These cars tend to stay in the same family for decades. People who have owned one know how great they are, and it seems no one else does.

The only downside I can think of is that they don't have a very tight turning circle because of the encclosed fenders.

It drew comments everywhere, but not the "What is it?" I get with my Pontiac today. EVERYONE had a Nash story to tell, and some good memories to share. I predict you will have a lot of fun with this.

Oh yeah. The visor is cool. And keep the WWWs too. I am a blackwalls guy, but in this case, the white semicircles supporting the rounded car, get a pass with compliments. Get the car, Jim. You see more cars more often than most of us. If you find yourself falling in love with this particular one, go for it. You might even be able to get a good deal on both the Nash, and it's transportation, if needed.   -   Carl