1933 Chrysler Royal Convertible coupe on Craigslist

Has anyone seen the SFBay area craigslist ad for a 1933 Chrysler?  It looks like a nice vehicle. I like the color and styling of the car.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1933-chrysler-royal/6740827134.html

Is this a car that a 6' 4" guy will be comfortable driving? Is the price reasonable?

Are there questions that I should ask? Obviously the seller made a faux pas when describing the engine as a V8!

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Tom Wallace

Dayton, OH

5 minutes ago, tomwallace said:

Are there questions that I should ask? Obviously the seller made a faux pas when describing the engine as a V8!

Makes me wonder if the person offering the car is actually the owner. I'd be leery

• Like 2

I owned for a number of years a similar car it is a model CT. straight eight. My car was restored by Stan Marcum of Manlius, NY and won an AACA 1st place award decades ago after Stan drove the car from his home to Hershey for the Fall meet and then back again. This car looks correct so far as parts go but I believe is missing the strips on the trunk rack. I am 6 ft tall and had lots of room, easy car to drive and shift and stopped well. NICE CARS! Car has an all steel body. Corners of windshield frames at bottom can rust out. Very comfortable to cruise along at 50 mph.

It's worth inquiring if you're interested;

but I agree with others that the ad appears

to be written by someone who knows very little

about the car--and a cautionary flag goes up

in my mind.  

All of the descriptive words are very generic

and could apply to any car he's selling.

"A great beautiful classic runs and drives great shape..." 

That's one mark of a scammer, because he may have

gotten those words to use on various cars that he offers 

but doesn't even own.   Another warning flag (possible

in this case) is the poor English.

For safety's sake, ask for some specific photos

which he doesn't have--such as a picture of the front seat

with a yardstick between the steering wheel and the seat.

That might help answer your measurement question, and

you'll see whether he really has the car.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I wonder how much damage has been done to it while it sat under the tarpaulin sitting on top?

Why is "he" asking 45k when "he" says it is worth 70k?

Well they can sell for 70,  but his isn't worth that but with 40G worth of work it could be. 

I have a 36 Cord phaeton that I would sell for 65G.  They are selling restored for 150G so see it's a great bargain.  Oh (I forgot to mention it needs restoration)  I'm sure while the Craigslist one looks decent it lacks alot  to be as nice as the 70K car.  First being proper storage.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:37 PM, JACK M said:

There are a lot of reasons that a guy selling a car wouldn't necessarily be familiar with it.

Dead owner and an executor selling. I'm figuring on a lot of that coming up. If you are old enough and smart enough to have the $45,000 for this one or whatever it takes for another, The only thing you have to worry abut is your own due diligence. There are a lot of indicators that a buyer may be a sucker. A good seller can spot one from 50 yards if they show up in person.

If it is an eight it can be an V-eight just as easily as any Buick can be a Roadmaster or any Cadillac a Fleetwood.

You know the old tale about how a vampire can't enter your house unless you invite them? My personal take on advertisements is that they are nothing more than an invitation.

Two trash cans spaced apart by the driveway make it look like storage at a rental property. The seller may have a bunch more stuff they are unfamiliar with. If it were near I'd go to to see what else is there. Might be more a case of seller beware. I have heard of that happening.

Bernie

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, Spinneyhill said:

I wonder how much damage has been done to it while it sat under the tarpaulin sitting on top?

Why is "he" asking 45k when "he" says it is worth 70k?

Looks like  the car cover was on it while it was in the garage, things get dusty out there. 

Bob 

• Like 1

Hi everyone...I live close by and was trying to get a hold of this guy for a while...his phone went directly to voice mail.  I did finally speak to him yesterday and he admitted he did not own the car and wondered if I was a dealer.  He said he would ask the owner if he wanted to sell it...then he volunteered that he had put a $5000 deposit on it (completely false).  Then he asked if I would like to buy a different car.  Definitely a mess and I am pretty sure Craigslist has a policy against listing things you don't even own.

• Like 1

You guys won't believe it but the 1933 Chrysler pictured here was actually for sale and get this...I actually bought it.  As it turns out, a gypsy listed it for sale after finding it sitting in a driveway under a tarp near San Jose, California.  If you are not from out here and are not familiar with gypsies and cars...I will give you a quick lesson.  For whatever reason, some years ago, local gypsies came upon the idea of finding and selling old cars here in California.  If you don't know anything about the way a gypsy thinks, consider this...a gypsy would sell his own mother if someone would offer to buy her.  They are known for having multiple identities (I have actually had the same gypsy introduce himself as Joe, John and Bob over the course of a few years) forgetting he had previously met me.  They also are quite unscrupulous and are willing to lie, cheat and steal anything and everything that is not nailed down.  But here is the thing...they beat the bushes like nobody else and actually find cars...even very rare cars.  As an example, about a year and a half ago, I saw a local listing for a 1971 GTO 455 convertible and responded to the add.  Pretty quickly, I got a guy on the other end of the phone who knew next to nothing about the car he was selling but wanted to make sure I was a cash buyer and willing to buy the car immediately.  I knew almost immediately it was a gypsy selling it and it turns out I was right.  It also turned out that car was one of the rarest GTO's ever produced...one of 18 455 HO 4 speed convertibles.  Did the gypsy know that?  No.  Did he care? No.  All he wanted to do was make a quick buck which I was more than happy to oblige him with. Also a little note...gypsies never put the car in their own names...they always title jump.  With respect to this 1933 Chrysler,  the nicest guy named Jack was willing to sell it.  He was actually approached by a likely gypsy who offered to buy it and gave him a sizable deposit in the form of a check and then told Jack not to cash it (are you beginning to get the idea).  He told Jack he was going to keep it for himself and get a loan to buy it (yeah right).  He then advertised it...you can see the listing above in one of the posts.  Hence the "V-8 engine" when one of the photos clearly show a straight 8 in the car.  What is interesting is that I actually got to see the car without the "gypsy" present after he gave me the address where it was located.  I went early and sure enough the car was actually there.  Jack was a prince of a guy and wanted the car to someone who was going to care for it as he was now 85 years old and no longer able to work on it himself.  I agreed to buy it and get this...I actually paid for it!.  I did feel as though I owed the "gypsy" something for his "work" in finding and listing the car so I provided him a pretty decent finders fee...all things considered.  The car is in beautiful shape and has been cleaned up and now purrs like a kitten.  I thought everyone who had written about this car would enjoy hearing what dear departed Paul Harvey used to call..."and now for the rest of the story".  Thanks.  Brian.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Where does the term 'Gypsy' come from?

gyp·sy
/ˈjipsē/  
noun
noun: gypsy; plural noun: gypsies; noun: gipsy; plural noun: gipsies; noun: Gypsy
  1. 1.
    a member of a traveling people traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling. Gypsies speak a language (Romany) that is related to Hindi and are believed to have originated in South Asia.
  • Like 2

I have heard of Gypsies  all of my life, and yes mostly having to do with car dealers.

I thought it may have been a slang of some sort, as I guess it is.

But never thought the term important enough to delve into.

And with all this technology at my fingertips I still don't think to use it.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:48 PM, BrianBuckley said:

You guys won't believe it but the 1933 Chrysler pictured here was actually for sale and get this...I actually bought it.  As it turns out, a gypsy listed it for sale after finding it sitting in a driveway under a tarp near San Jose, California.  If you are not from out here and are not familiar with gypsies and cars...I will give you a quick lesson.  For whatever reason, some years ago, local gypsies came upon the idea of finding and selling old cars here in California.  If you don't know anything about the way a gypsy thinks, consider this...a gypsy would sell his own mother if someone would offer to buy her.  They are known for having multiple identities (I have actually had the same gypsy introduce himself as Joe, John and Bob over the course of a few years) forgetting he had previously met me.  They also are quite unscrupulous and are willing to lie, cheat and steal anything and everything that is not nailed down.  But here is the thing...they beat the bushes like nobody else and actually find cars...even very rare cars.  As an example, about a year and a half ago, I saw a local listing for a 1971 GTO 455 convertible and responded to the add.  Pretty quickly, I got a guy on the other end of the phone who knew next to nothing about the car he was selling but wanted to make sure I was a cash buyer and willing to buy the car immediately.  I knew almost immediately it was a gypsy selling it and it turns out I was right.  It also turned out that car was one of the rarest GTO's ever produced...one of 18 455 HO 4 speed convertibles.  Did the gypsy know that?  No.  Did he care? No.  All he wanted to do was make a quick buck which I was more than happy to oblige him with. Also a little note...gypsies never put the car in their own names...they always title jump.  With respect to this 1933 Chrysler,  the nicest guy named Jack was willing to sell it.  He was actually approached by a likely gypsy who offered to buy it and gave him a sizable deposit in the form of a check and then told Jack not to cash it (are you beginning to get the idea).  He told Jack he was going to keep it for himself and get a loan to buy it (yeah right).  He then advertised it...you can see the listing above in one of the posts.  Hence the "V-8 engine" when one of the photos clearly show a straight 8 in the car.  What is interesting is that I actually got to see the car without the "gypsy" present after he gave me the address where it was located.  I went early and sure enough the car was actually there.  Jack was a prince of a guy and wanted the car to someone who was going to care for it as he was now 85 years old and no longer able to work on it himself.  I agreed to buy it and get this...I actually paid for it!.  I did feel as though I owed the "gypsy" something for his "work" in finding and listing the car so I provided him a pretty decent finders fee...all things considered.  The car is in beautiful shape and has been cleaned up and now purrs like a kitten.  I thought everyone who had written about this car would enjoy hearing what dear departed Paul Harvey used to call..."and now for the rest of the story".  Thanks.  Brian.

That’s quite the experience Brian!  Does that have the vacuum declutching equipment on it?  Any chance of seeing a picture of the carb side of the motor?

Hi...I sure will be willing to take the photos you wanted.  Jack who sold me the car said that although the device is present...it is not connected as he had trouble with it.  I will get them to you...I guess on this site next Saturday as I will be traveling this week.  Also...I wanted to say a quick hello to Curt Schultz who commented on my purchase of this Chrysler in this forum.  Curt...maybe you will remember me...I purchased sidemount covers from you for my 1934 Auburn Phaeton as well as one front fender about three years ago.  I guess you consider my buying this Chrysler BS.  Dave Knopp and I a good laugh about that.  Dave took some pictures of the Chrysler last Friday...maybe he can send them to you.  Best Brian

Brian,

You must be watching your post here since you replied to SparkEE above. I'm curious as to why you haven't replied to my post/request. For your convenience, here it is:

BrianBuckley ,

Call me a skeptic, but how about a little proof of your story. Post some photos of the rare GTO you bought & of this car, cleaned up & running.

In a previous post, you started out "you won't believe this". No, I don't & I'm sure others here don't as well. Prove me & the others wrong.

Thank you,

George Smolinski

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 9:40 PM, BrianBuckley said:

Hi...I sure will be willing to take the photos you wanted.  Jack who sold me the car said that although the device is present...it is not connected as he had trouble with it.  I will get them to you...I guess on this site next Saturday as I will be traveling this week.  Also...I wanted to say a quick hello to Curt Schultz who commented on my purchase of this Chrysler in this forum.  Curt...maybe you will remember me...I purchased sidemount covers from you for my 1934 Auburn Phaeton as well as one front fender about three years ago.  I guess you consider my buying this Chrysler BS.  Dave Knopp and I a good laugh about that.  Dave took some pictures of the Chrysler last Friday...maybe he can send them to you.  Best Brian

Terrific, thanks!  Some years ago I bought a 1933 Chrysler CQ which had all of the vacuum declutching and accelerator starting equipment removed.  Over the years I’ve been trying to piece the missing components together.  At present, it retains the (perhaps) WWII era modified accelerator linkage.  Still looking for the declutching canister, amongst other things.

Thanks for sharing your story. 

Had the same happen this summer when some gypsies wtd to repave my 1/4 mile long drive.............

they started looking at a few of my cars, taking photos and telling me they wtd to buy them. Of course I laughed at them and said sure. bring me cash............

they understood I wasnt putting up with their BS.

They were up from Miami and "visiting" NJ to make some sales. anything for a buck.