SHIPPING

STEVE POLLARD

Don't know if it's the best way but I had two 1/4's shipped from TX To PA. Salvage yard strapped 2 pallets together and shrink wrapped the 1/4's on it. Said they do it all the time. Shipped by truck with no problems. I don't remember the cost but it wasn't outrageous............Bob

Yes on Fastenal.  I shipped a 1967 Lincoln front fender, 7 feet long, in a crate, Virginia to Michigan, $125.  You bring it to your local Fastenal, it has to be crated and you make arrangements on their website, you CAN'T do it with local store.  They ship as room is available, so 1 to 3 weeks, but very, very inexpensive.

I shipped a '72 Riviera fender from NC to NJ, wrapped it in bubble wrap and then cardboard, by Greyhound a while back. It got there in a couple of days and cost a little over $100 for the shipping. They have size restrictions you would have to check on, but it wasn't outrageous to send it that way.

23 minutes ago, Rivman said:

I shipped a '72 Riviera fender from NC to NJ, wrapped it in bubble wrap and then cardboard, by Greyhound a while back. It got there in a couple of days and cost a little over $100 for the shipping. They have size restrictions you would have to check on, but it wasn't outrageous to send it that way.

I shipped a 1946 Dodge truck fender using Greyhound. Had to wrap it with cardboard, but was reasonably inexpensive to ship.

Fastenal is store to store. If you do not have a way to haul it when it arrives go to MENARDS and rent a truck for $19.95 or so. I recently shipped a complete trunk pan to a Buick guy just north of NYC and I am pretty sure that's what he did.

HI , Steve , I used Greyhound Package Express a year ago to ship 4 big heavy tires ( 33x5 ) across the country. 2 - 2 tire wraps , about 90# each. Station to station , I think it was $70 something total ! So you can go counter to counter , door to door , or door to counter , or vice versa. I chose the cheapest , but convenience sometimes might make another of these options better. The trick is to arrange on their website , and print your labels. In my case they were EXTREMELY helpful , and walked me through it at the counter. Smart young people with mercy on the old man from way back in another century. 800-441-2368 , or shipgreyhound.com to get you started. Please let us know what worked for you when the deed is done.  - Carl

Edited by C Carl
Spelling (see edit history)

SteveImpala, 

Are you purchasing new, or used quarter panels? New ones can be shipped direct from manufacturer. 

If you are buying used quarter panels...is it at all possible to go get them yourself? I must admit that I enjoy long drives to go seeking old car parts, and wouldn't hesitate to hop in my pickup and drive 15 hours one way to pick up big parts like quarter panels. I have seen too many instances of serious damage, AND of misrepresented parts. 

Just a thought. Cheers! 

A word of caution about using a certain bus line to ship large items. Cheap, yes. Nice folks, yes. Tracking, NO. Once you wave goodbye to your shrink-wrapped treasure, it could be 3 days or 3 months before it reaches its destination. It will be taken off the bus in strange and exotic places and left on the floor for hours-days-weeks, until an employee gets tired of tripping over it- and sends it on its way. On my last fling, a seller shipped me 2 fenders from the left coast to the right coast. The same seller shipped 2 other fenders to the center of the country. Guess which fenders I got? Yes, one of the wrong ones arrived at my local terminal. Lucky for me, the guy in the center of the country got a hold of the bus company VP's cell phone number and started calling him non-stop. So, one Sunday morning my phone rings and it's the VP- asking for my help. I agreed. He sends another high ranking bus employee to my house on Sunday, in his personal vehicle, to pick up the wayward fender. The fender gets a "special ride" to the center of the country to shut up the speed-dialer. A week later my fenders are in my driveway- in the back of a taxi-cab!?! In the end, the bus line moved heaven and earth to make everybody happy. But the whole affair lasted a month; and there were many times when I was convinced I'd never see those fenders. So if your stuff is truly irreplaceable, think long and hard about the bus. JMHO.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, greenie said:

A word of caution about using a certain bus line to ship large items. Cheap, yes. Nice folks, yes. Tracking, NO. Once you wave goodbye to your shrink-wrapped treasure, it could be 3 days or 3 months before it reaches its destination. It will be taken off the bus in strange and exotic places and left on the floor for hours-days-weeks, until an employee gets tired of tripping over it- and sends it on its way. On my last fling, a seller shipped me 2 fenders from the left coast to the right coast. The same seller shipped 2 other fenders to the center of the country. Guess which fenders I got? Yes, one of the wrong ones arrived at my local terminal. Lucky for me, the guy in the center of the country got a hold of the bus company VP's cell phone number and started calling him non-stop. So, one Sunday morning my phone rings and it's the VP- asking for my help. I agreed. He sends another high ranking bus employee to my house on Sunday, in his personal vehicle, to pick up the wayward fender. The fender gets a "special ride" to the center of the country to shut up the speed-dialer. A week later my fenders are in my driveway- in the back of a taxi-cab!?! In the end, the bus line moved heaven and earth to make everybody happy. But the whole affair lasted a month; and there were many times when I was convinced I'd never see those fenders. So if your stuff is truly irreplaceable, think long and hard about the bus. JMHO.

Exactly.  They randomly scan and check in items, so you often have no idea where your package is or when it will arrive at it's destination.  Took a month for my package to get to Oregon, and for 2 weeks nobody could tell me where it was.  My local guy told me they put it on the bus headed the general direction it needs to go.  If the bus is full, it's not sent.  If they forget that it's laying there, it doesn't get sent.  If a person thinks a bus going to one place is closer than another, whether it actually is or not, it might go there along the way.  In the end it worked, but it was an unnerving adventure.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

That's good information to know about Fastenal.  Sounds like many have had a good experience with them, too.  Need to file that away for future use!  Thanks all.

I tried to get a commitment from Fastenal logistics to ship a 1925 Buick Master radiator shell from Louisiana to the Chambersburg store here.The seller was willing to box it, palletize it etc. Approx. 25-30 lbs. Fastenal said that they did not want the job and would not give me a quote. The shipping weight was about 14 lbs.for it boxed alone. UPS wanted $82.00. USPS wanted $128.00. It was an oversize box hence the extra cost. I may have to find someone at the Chickasha swap meet to be able to get it closer to me.

Good afternoon , Larry , and all. Evidently "one size fits all" will not cover all conditions and locations at all times here. With this in mind , I would not be over eager to take that ol' hound dog out for that sad last walk with your .45 just yet. In fact "The 'Dog" has a number of  different priority options. I have been pleased with the non-time sensitive "Standard" service I have used. Saved me more than $200 over UPS on the above mentioned tires , a gift for a very fine member in need. Well tracked , on time , flexible though that was understood to be. 'Hound : "Standard service is the economical choice for non time-critical shipments. Packages are shipped on a space available basis"  Another level : "Priority service guarantees that your shipment is sent on the next scheduled departure........... 100% money-back guarantee that your shipment will arrive on the schedule you selected"  There is yet another , fastest service , "Hotshot" , as well as international capabilities. This being said , I hear you guys about the delays and difficulties you have suffered. Thanks for the warning. However all's well that ends well , or something similar.

Now the V.P. anecdote reminds me of the time I had to call the CEO of a then major airline. This was an extremely time sensitive issue , and I figured that among the 47,000 employees of the airline , John would be the most likely individual to expedite resolution. I had been getting the runaround from couple of astonishingly menacing , lying , officious customer relations jerk and jerkess. Unfortunately for myself and others , too much time had been wasted dealing with what I later found out from ratings , defined the bottom of the customer relations barrel in the airline "industry". So for us there was no remedy , but one jerk and one jerkess deservedly lost their jobs. In the case of shipping , I am impressed to see that 'Dog hierarchy and time finally delivered. 

Package sufficiently well in all cases. And , don't let me unleash my rage against UPS. Happy , Healthy , New Year !  - Carl

11 hours ago, steveimpala said:

Thanks..... going to look into Fastenal later today........  Hello Bob ( 1937hd45 ) , I'm in Wappingers Falls, neighbor .

Steve

Hello! Fastenal is just down RT9 from you. This is a good time to tell "The Rest of the Story" with my first Fastenal shipping story. Seller built a nice box out of 2x2's and chip board and bolted the fenders and hood to three of the walls, the hood was standing on end, this was on top of a standard used pallet.  Got the call from Fishkill when the box arrived, I needed a pickup, and asked if it was a problem if it sat there for a while, no problem was the answer. Then Hershey week came and went. I asked a friend if I could borrow his pickup for a few hours and called Fastenal to confirm how late they were open. Now the crate was there for a good two weeks, and it was my fault  that I put off collecting as soon as I could, so the "We sent it back to the shipper" wasn't something I could go nuts over. They did find it in a warehouse some were in Pennsylvania and sent it back to Fishkill. That may have added another 7-10 days to the trip. I was more than happy to pay for whatever the extra time and shipping cost was and offered to several times, it was my screw up. They just called when it arrived the second time, and didn't add to the shipping cost that I'd sent to the seller  a few month before. I picked it up the next day, great company with great people. Hood and fenders were in great shape Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've used Greyhound 4 or 5 times for large parts without issue. Biggest hassle is you have to ship station to station but rates are really reasonable. Shipped various body parts, chassis parts, tires, etc. Just sharing my experience.

Scott

I will also add, after years of selling on eBay (anything from fenders to lug nuts and everything in between), between the 3 big shippers of the USPS, FedEx, and UPS, FedEx is the cheaper option 90% of the time, especially on large items.  UPS is the highest 99% of the time. 

One example, I shipped a steel bumper from KY to OK via FedEx ground for under $50.  USPS was over $100, and I didn't even call UPS on that one. 

Also, FedEx doesn't really care how you package anything.  For example, I shipped a receiver hitch with them with no packaging at all.  They just stuck the label directly to it.  I mean, it's a huge piece of steel, so it's not like it could be damaged anyway, but the other carriers often don't like it when you don't package your item certain ways.

• Like 1

I received my quote back from Fastenal...$250 to ship one full nos quarter panel and another nos half panel for a '69 Impala from Wisconsin to New York...items must be crated to be insured, otherwise they can be on a pallet with no insurance.

Steve

30 minutes ago, steveimpala said:

I received my quote back from Fastenal...$250 to ship one full nos quarter panel and another nos half panel for a '69 Impala from Wisconsin to New York...items must be crated to be insured, otherwise they can be on a pallet with no insurance.

Steve

That seems high, but I guess it's the size of the box.  Trucking typically companies charge by weight and volume, whichever is greater.  Obviously they don't want to charge by the pound for a truck full of Styrofoam panels, nor do they want to charge by volume for lead bricks. I'm getting ready to ship a pair of front fenders from coast to coast, so I suspect I'm looking at a similar price. The last pallet-sized shipment I sent on Fastenal was less than half of that.

just a fore warning-have shipped with Greyhound 20 times or so and 2x my package was lost.  Make sure you are insured. they wont insure over 300.

regarding Fastenal- I always have to make arrangements with corporate. The local drop off always treats me like they havent a clue and respnd as if Im speaking pig English..............!

meaning-they dont want to be bothered- just want to collect their weekly check.

I finally learned to include a sticker on each part I ship with a name, address and phone number.  Usually when parts are "lost" in shipping what gets lost is the label or ship to/from info or the box gets torn apart and one or all the parts fall out.  If there is info on the parts they will often be recovered.

Scott

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, I wanted to give an update on this shipping subject... finally got the panels a few weeks ago, shipped to the Poughkeepsie Store a few miles from me for $150.... they actually help me load it onto my truck !

20170621_151317.jpg

On 1/7/2017 at 4:27 AM, mercer09 said:

just a fore warning-have shipped with Greyhound 20 times or so and 2x my package was lost.  Make sure you are insured. they wont insure over 300.

regarding Fastenal- I always have to make arrangements with corporate. The local drop off always treats me like they havent a clue and respnd as if Im speaking pig English..............!

meaning-they dont want to be bothered- just want to collect their weekly check.

Ship with Greyhound for 30 plus years with no incidents. Commercial accounts can ensure up to 1000.00. Not hard to get commercial accounts. Technically, don't suppose to ship car parts.

On 1/5/2017 at 5:09 AM, greenie said:

30 plus years yeas with no issues with Greyhound. They do scan and tell you the location of the package. Not sophisticated as UPS and FedEx. Packages are handled by men and women and not by a machine.

I just had a good experience with Fastenal as the shipper.  I bought four 17" wire wheels with the tires still mounted, knock off hubs, and four drums strapped to a skid. The parts were located in  South Carolina shipped on Monday received them on the following Friday in Minnesota. $125. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 3:48 AM, mercer09 said:

"30 plus years yeas with no issues with Greyhound "

and you are the lucky one!

We have shipped hundreds of packages, mostly sheet metal with the Dog. We reproduce the rear fenders for the 33 to 35 Dodge pickup made from 18 gauge steel. They are shipped from MI as a pair to Ca for 125. We have shipped 30 pairs with no incidents. That is not luck. Luck is winning the lotto.  LOL. We shipped a NOS Cuda front fender with UPS with the request from the customer. It arrived bent in half. UPS only paid 32.50 for a 1200.00 fender. On the freight side of UPS, the ins was by the pound. And just last week, we shipped an exhaust manifold for a 48 Dodge with UPS and it was delivered damaged. 

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

21 hours ago, countrytravler said:

We have shipped hundreds of packages, mostly sheet metal with the Dog. We reproduce the rear fenders for the 33 to 35 Dodge pickup made from 18 gauge steel. They are shipped from MI as a pair to Ca for 125. We have shipped 30 pairs with no incedents. That is not luck. Luck is einning the lotto.  LOL. We shipped a nos Cuda front fender with UPS opon the request from the cusromer. It arrived bent in hakf. UPS only paid 32.50 for a 1200.00 fender. On the freight side of UPS, the ins was by the pound. And just last week, we shipped a exhaust manifold for a 48 Dodge with UPS and it was delivered damaged. 

You are indeed lucky to apparently have competent Greyhound employees in your local area.  Some of us, such as myself, do not have competent employees at our local Greyhound.  I've used it 3 times.  The first was fine, the last 2 caused me to simply not use them any more.  Once they couldn't figure out how to print the tracking numbers without cutting them off, so they just used a cut off number.  Tracking was non-existent and it took 4 week to cross 5 states.  The last time it wasn't even put on a bus for 2 weeks.  It always depends on competent people.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 6:08 AM, 39BuickEight said:

You are indeed lucky to apparently have competent Greyhound employees in your local area.  Some of us, such as myself, do not have competent employees at our local Greyhound.  I've used it 3 times.  The first was fine, the last 2 caused me to simply not use them any more.  Once they couldn't figure out how to print the tracking numbers without cutting them off, so they just used a cut off number.  Tracking was non-existent and it took 4 week to cross 5 states.  The last time it wasn't even put on a bus for 2 weeks.  It always depends on competent people.

Turnover is very high at the Modesto CA bus terminal so that's not the case. New employees every month seems like. Fenders are shipped from Lansing Mi. Sometimes it takes a week to get tracking and sometimes the customer already has picked their package up by the time we get tracking. LOL. And sometimes it does take 3 weeks to get from CA to ME. But it's 1/4th the cost fo ship a fender. We have tried them all and the Dog is ahead of the pack. We use a broker from FL for our heavy and oversize packages. And, when shipping overseas, use USPS. 1/5th the cost compare to UPS or FedEx. This is what we have learned in 30 plus years shipping.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1