Drive your antique to the office today?

Guest Crahm

Guest Crahm

I drove my '41 Graham Hollywood Supercharged to the office today.  Anybody else drive their antique to work?

june 6 2016.jpg

I recall reading that California collector Jay Leno,

when he was hosting The Tonight Show,

drove a different antique to work every day.

If insurance permits, it's a good way to exercise a large collection

that would otherwise tend to be stationary.

His secretary once remarked about the Lamborghini

Countach that was the commuter car for the day.

She found it hard to believe that the boldly styled

Countach was now an antique, but it was!

• Like 1

Great looking Graham, I have driven my other collector cars but not the Grahams lately.  Insurance is always a problem, but they only want you to park your car in a sealed garage so they never have to worry about a claim...oh yes that is how they make money.  Brought my 1972 Mach 1 and my 1964 Falcon two door hardtop even my 1984 truck, but they all do highway speeds pretty easy, hate to hold up drivers that are late for work, my Grahams are happier at 45-50 mph.

If I had a job I would drive a different car to work every day.

I guess I will just have to be happy driving them with no particular place to go.

Graham is correct, the insurance doesn't like it when you drive em to work.

However, I was talking to the lady at Hagerty a few years ago and asked about a run to the grocery store. She asked is there were usually people checking the car out when I came out of the store. I said yes and she said it would appear that I was showing it so that was OK.

• Like 3

Guest Crahm

The minimal insurance plan with American Collectors allows the policyholder to drive the car to work once a month, but not for normal errand running.

Their next level up for usage is called The Freedom Plan.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I was talking to the lady at Hagerty a few years ago and asked about a run to the grocery store. She asked is there were usually people checking the car out when I came out of the store. I said yes and she said it would appear that I was showing it so that was OK.

Same here....... :)

She asked if I display at shows.

I replied "Everywhere I go with my cars is a show"........she laughed and that was that....... :D 

• Like 1

Insurance issues aside for the moment, if you have a "historic" vehicle registration you also should consider what those limitations are. Here in NJ driving your car with a Historic registration to work would be a clear violation of the registration privilege.  Now the chances of that actually being enforced should you be pulled over are slim, but should you during such a use have an accident which results in bodily injury, chances are good a lawyer for the damaged party would be rubbing his hands together with glee!

With so many other legitimate activities during the week and most every weekend, it just wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

My "older" cars are on a policy that permits "occasional use" which I was told means about 2500 miles a year and which requires other "daily drivers". I suspect they are more concerned about being parked without supervision since one of the requirements is being parked in a locked garage. Valet parking is Right Out.

Drove mine to the shop and back with a stop at the post office on the way.  All about 6 miles round trip.  If I didn't drive it to work I wouldn't get to drive it at all as I work 7 days a week and never take it to car shows.  I have 4 other cars insured with them that didn't see 20 collective miles last year.  If i put 1000 to 1500 miles on one a year I think that's pretty darn acceptable even if I only drive it to work.  Of course I'm self employed and have my own shop on the other end of town,  so tha't s probably different than leaving it alone in a big corporate lot somewhere. 

I work in an R&D group where nearly every engineer has something interesting tucked away in his second garage stall.  I once got around the insurance restriction by organizing a "Collector Car Show" at work on a Friday afternoon.  (You could tell the insurance company you were on the way to a car show, not to work).  We got everything from an ancient John Deere tractor to a rail dragster.  It was the best day I have ever had at work!

To me insurance brokers are used car salesmen if you get my drift. You have to be very carful if there is an issue as I have had happen in the past. Go by what the fine print says in your policy and you have to have documented what you were told by your broker if you ever go to court with an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

To me insurance brokers are used car salesmen if you get my drift. You have to be very carful if there is an issue as I have had happen in the past. Go by what the fine print says in your policy and you have to have documented what you were told by your broker if you ever go to court with an issue.

So true, I have rarely had to use the insurance that I buy so I am probably considered a good risk.

But I was changing one of my home owners policies a couple of years ago and was questioned about a claim I had been paid about ten years prior to that. I couldn't recall what that was and I was able to get the policy.

It later dawned on me that I did indeed accept an insurance payment when a guy slid off the icy road and into my fence. It was about $500 if I recall. These people keep records of everything I guess.

However we all know that they are in the business of trying to get out of paying claims.

• Like 1

Yes, I drive my 31 Model A Deluxe Roadster to work a couple times a week during the nice weather season, which here in Michigan is basically early May through the end of September.  

I also take the kids to school in the car, and occasionally use it for grocery shopping.  

11885263_961334927238891_797042972844976

• Like 1

Before you say "they are in the business of trying to get out of paying claims. " check with your state regulators on how they figure allowable profit. Might be surprised. 

Before I retired the only time I brought a car to work was for my companies once a year car show or if they needed to be serviced at our engineering garage . Now that I'm retired I have moved, Bought  a new house and built a 1632 sq ft garage/shop with two stacking lifts. The garage also has a office and a bar and patio in the shop. The two newer daily drivers and electric trains stay in the 3 car garage attached to the house so there is plenty of room. Correction, there can never be enough room.

57 minutes ago, padgett said:

Before you say "they are in the business of trying to get out of paying claims. " check with your state regulators on how they figure allowable profit. Might be surprised. 

I don't know how to check that.

But if you are disagreeing you aren't in the real world.

I'm surprised all you guys put up with such restrictive insurance policies. I have Hagerty on both my personal cars and on my business and there are no mileage or usage restrictions. The only things they insist we do is 1. store the cars inside, and 2. have something else as a daily driver. Driving one of my old cars to work once in a while is fine, as is running to the store, or out to dinner, etc. They obviously don't want us using them as daily drivers and fighting through commuter traffic, but they also don't have restrictions in terms of mileage or "only on the third Saturday of the month but only in the presence of other antique cars."

I actually drive the '41 Buick Limited just about every day and many times I'll drive something different home for the night. I'll admit that mine isn't the typical office job, but nothing in any of my insurance policies says I can't drive them pretty much whenever and wherever I want, just as long as there's a garage and something else to drive as a regular car. We're heading out to lunch shortly, I think I'll take the '53 Cadillac that I just got back from the transmission shop and give it a shake-down run.

• Like 1

I agree with Matt, I left a company after 25 years because of the restrictive rules and moved to another. I am not using it in a snow storm or taking to park at Yankee Stadium for a game. I have had two claims with this new company and both involved the vehicle damaged on the trailers both open and closed.

Home office here, although a couple may have visited a remote job site on the way home from a show.

a0077.JPG

I like those Graham/Cord body cars a lot. It is surprising how low they are when you stand by them, kind of like the first Lincoln Continentals. Be careful about parking by those louvers. If it's an air intake or exhaust there always seem to be a lot of little black flies around them. If it's an emergency generator radiator exhaust and you get some glycol spray on the paint you will have to claim it is acid rain.

Bernie

• Like 1

I think the idea of Hagerty's  liberal driving policy is a myth. I called and the person I talked to was quite specific on the limitations. I don't think they'd like that work parking lot picture any more than they'd like the car outside covered with leaves.

Bernie

Oh, and I checked with my insurance about my 1939 Allis-Chalmers; no tractors with a front end attachment covered. I guess someone must have been pushing antique snow.

01010.jpg

Even got a pic of the previous owner.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Have had JCT for years, never an issue. They said incidental use is fine including driving to a distant event. No limit but think 2500 miles/year is a guideline. Also said being at a motel prior to, after, or on the way to a show is no problem.

Other than that:

- Factory original; i.e. there should be few changes from the factory original specifications. (tires/wheels/batteries/ bolt-ons are fine)
- In good or restored condition.
- Be kept in a fully enclosed, locked garage.
- Be used primarily as hobby vehicles: used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. An occasional nice day drive to keep the vehicle in running order is perfectly acceptable.

I suspect most of the majors (Hagerty, Grundy, etc.) are similar. No idea about the General. 

I used to drive my antique Lincoln to work on Fridays to give it a little exercise. I could see it from my window, and it was not a crowded parking lot. There are enough car shows in the area that I can always claim I was going to one. One night, on the way home from work, it was rear ended and totaled. I simply said that it had some work done on it, (which was true), and I was driving it to check it out. They paid the claim with no problem. But my office moved and I cannot see the car from the new office windows. So the replacement Lincoln has never been driven to work.

However, another guy I know has to have documents showing the car show he is going to in the car or the police will stop him and ticket him because of the antique/collector plates. However, he lived in a low rent/not nice area where apparently people bought 25 year old beater used cars to try and get away with the cheaper antique plates. I never had an issue, but then I never drove in that area.

In New York State the way to legally take ownership of a car is to license and insure it with the DMV. That's a big consideration before spending any money beyond the purchase price. Think about those 10+ year restorations and your legal ownership position upon completion. The last few project cars I bought have been licensed in my name even though they were a real long way from finished. JCT is real good about that

Bernie

When I had older, sunny-day only cars, I always drove them to work ... never had antique plates or insurance on them so I could drive them when I wanted, unlimited.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Those dreams move on if you wait too long" __ Billy Ray Cyrus __ 'Could've Been Me'