Anyone get teary-eyed selling a car or truck?

keiser31

I just sold my beloved 1967 Dodge A100 V8 compact pickup, today. It served my very well for about 24 years. Yes....I got tears in my eyes when I saw it go away. I am pretty sentimental about vehicles and I was wondering if anyone else has ever done the same thing? I don't mean a little seller's remorse. I am talking about seriously bummed out. I know that it will enable me to get my new wiring harness for my '31 Dodge coupe and I will soon be driving that daily as I used to. THAT is the good part of this that keeps my up.

post-37352-143142222124_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142222135_thumb.jpg

Yep. I am probably going to bawl when we sell our 57 chevy truck...and it is same kinda deal... it will help with other projects...but we have had it since 1991...

Hubby has tons of stories of great cars he HAD...so since we got together in 1989 I have talked him into keeping most of the vehicles we have owned. I get attached to ALL of them. We got an 03gmc new...and i loved that truck....we rolled it and our rv on i90 and paid 4 grand buying it back...and i felt so bad for what it went through. Its still crunched and i tell it its gonna be a great truck again someday...lol

Showing emotion makes ya know you truly have passion for these.. i am sure you have great memories in that old truck...and i bet a few times you were frusterated with it, too...

I seldom sell anything. Last car I sold was my 37 Buick business coupe to a guy who PROMISED he would not street rod it. It immediatley got a V-8 engine, bucket seats, BRIGHT green metal flake paint and mag wheels. My eyes water when ever I see it........................Bob

Never teary eyed but I have seriously missed a number of cars over the years. My first 55 Ford, 67 GTX, 64 Jetstar 1. More recently, 95 9C1 Caprice, 63 Riviera, and 2007 Trailblazer SS. It's the memories that you attach to the cars rather than the actual hardware, with the exception of the last one they were all pretty used up and I was glad to see them go at the time.

I delivered an ALL original, EVERY option, 1949 Harley Davidson to a Marine in Jacksonville, N.C. for 2800.00, In 1984.

Front and back roll bars, metal saddle bags, front and back bumpers, exhaust cover, center stand... everything.

The guy that didn't buy it, and missed out, went home and boo-hoo ed and cried like a baby, according to his wife.

I was the second owner and I took the bike apart and back together with the original nuts and bolts. Rebuilt with an H cam. The prettiest bike in New Bern at one time. I used to win money for it starting on the first kick.

Wish I knew it was unmolested and where it is now.

I get teary eyed sometimes. We needed a car for a baby seat and of course my 79 Datsun, 280 ZXR wouldn't work.

Bill H

I sold a 1926 REO T6 sedan 22 years ago due to a divorce . I think of that REO often . Every time my grown up children see an old car they check to see if it is a REO . I am still working on getting another REO . Thanks again Keiser for posting the pictures of the McLaughlin Buick and the Packard for me . Mark

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

When I moved to Florida I shipped two of my Buicks there, my '55 Special and my '62 Invicta. I only had room to keep one car. I ended up selling my '55 at the Turkey Rod Run. I walked away from that car teary eyed after restoring it 21 years earlier. Never seen it since.........

post-30819-143142223282_thumb.jpg

Guest billybird

Oh yes. A 1979 CJ5 Jeep that I bought new. I didn't get teary eyed; I flat out cried. It was the first vehicle I ever bought new.

I watched the seller cry as I towed away the old Dodge. He said it was the nicest car he'd owned. It was a rust free 73 yr old survivor from the SF bay area. I didn't know what to say. It's back on the road now. He never saw it done. Rest in peace Sam. Steve.

The day I sold my Model A R/P I cried a little. I started on it when I was 17 in 1974, everybody told me I'd waste my money and time. The only thing my dad said to me about it when I brought it home was "Get it the hell out of the yard!". My wife(then girlfriend) and I would search the swap meets for parts. After a 10 year restoration it was back on the road and I could say "told 'ya!". To me it was quite an accomplishment ! It wasn't totally authentic (with the chrome shell and lamps) but it had NO alterations from the original. We ran that thing alot until I sold it in 2000. Sure do miss it; worst decision I ever made. I still get teary eyed when I think of it. Often thought of trying to get it back but I'm afraid of what it may have These pics were taken just before selling, 16 years after restoration!

post-33734-143142223475_thumb.jpg

post-33734-143142223496_thumb.jpg

post-33734-143142223513_thumb.jpg

post-33734-14314222353_thumb.jpg

I bought a 1995 Ford F150 new in 1996. It carried me and my wife and three year old son everywhere. The truck was called the Henry Ford Motel as I had a fiberglass cap on it and my son and I did camp-outs in it. It later became the gear hauler truck for me and my son when we joined the local Boy Scout troop. I taught my son how to drive with it when he turned 16. It was his run around vehicle until he went off to college. I had to sell it this year during our downsizing and move. Even my wife, who has no emotional attachment to cars or trucks, admitted she was sad to see it go. It still had the little stickers on the sun visor the nice lady at the bank gave to my son when we used the drive through window service. Lots of good memories were made in the truck that made it a part of our family.

Terry

Guest lordairgtar

1969 Buick Special DeLuxe 2 door coupe. Bought it for $500 and later gave it to a disabled lady who needed a car. This was in the middle 70s. Sweet car that had very nice power steering and it was very easy to drive fior her. I loaned her the car once when she needed to use a car to visit a sick relative in the next city. She just loved the cheesy padded Grant steering wheel that allowed her disabled hands to grip it better than a thin steering wheel. I just said "It's yours". I still had my 54 Chevy and a 76 Eldorado rag top. Another car I still wish I still owned was my old 1984 Dodge Charger 2.2. Not the best or classiest car, but I just loved that car.

Edited by lordairgtar
No one made cars in 1069 LOL (see edit history)

Several I wish I had back, my 66 Plymouth Fury III with a 383 and a 4 speed, my MGC GT(both of these so I could sell them for more today than I got for them when I got rid of them. Any of the MG's, Triumph's and other various cars that I had in my misspent youth. But mostly I miss our 1961 Rambler Ambassador which I "sold" to my brother for $400 that I never saw. He took it away to school and when the transmission went bad, within two days had traded it for a hundred dollars off on a car that was not worth a hundred dollars to start with. It was an original that I had put a lot of money and work into but when he desperately needed a car and had no credit or money, it was the one that I was willing to get rid of at the time.(I didn't have much money either). What an idiot I was, kick myself at least several times a year for it even 40 years later.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

I had a '64 Falcon Futura that got me through 4 years of college. I sold it in 1972 for $250 to a neighbor kid who needed a car. I had put a lot of money into the Falcon and kept it up as I always do. Three weeks later, I'm driving by the kid's father's business and the Falcon was in the parking lot, all smashed up. It seems he fell asleep at the wheel and hit a telephone poll just in front of the passenger A pillar. I didn't cry, but I was crushed. In addition, the Falcon was filled with discarded soda and beer bottles, coffee cups, etc. Remarkably, he had it repaired and drove it for another year or so. I'm sure it was total junk by then, though.

I sold my 1970 Boss 302 Mustang two weeks ago. The sale came out of the blue as I had her registered for Hershey. So now I will not have a car on the show field at Hershey. The first time in many years. I bought a 1970 Chevelle 454 LS6 to make me feel better. Hope to have her ready for next years show season. :cool:

While I believe I know where you are coming from, I can't say I have ever been teary-eyed because I just haven't sold anything I'm attached to yet. I still have my 1st, 2nd & 3rd cars.

post-36036-143142225278_thumb.jpg

2nd car

However I did almost go into cardiac arrest one time when after 10 years of marriage or so, my wife casually (in her mind) suggested that I should sell a few cars in order to have one really good one! Been married going on 34 years and still have those cars but...

believe I can feel your pain.

It's all right everyone - I've had to sell couple of old friends recently due to the cruddy economy. But there are plenty of other 'fish in the sea.' More cars become 'old cars' everyday. I've heard guys say their favorite is the next one they find!

Just found out that the "go between" that was buying my truck for the guy in New York decided to keep it for himself. Never even called the guy in New York, his "friend", to tell him that he bought it from me. Very upsetting all around, however it's out of my hands now and I will be happy cruising in the '31 again. Thanks for all of your answers. I was pretty certain that I am not the only sentimental slob out there.

I believe I know the Guy in NY that buys these Dodge trucks. He is not far from me and we went to school together. If the Go between gets together with him at some point, it will have a good home. Dandy Dave!