Hoarding Article - Opinions?

Steve_Mack_CT

Well, I just finished reading through my latest issue of Haggerty's magazine - not the "Antique Automobile" but a nice touch for Hagarty customers. Past issues have included short articles on high profile collectors and restorers, etc. A great company and magazine but...

Well, I am not sure I liked the tone of their article "Hoarders, the Dark Side of the Hobby" - seemed a little judgemental to me, towards a small group whose collecting habits may be eccentric, but legal. To me, and this is my opinion only, "hoarders" are usually just saving things for down the road, rather than rodders (also legal, arguably not preserving history and damaging their cars as much as the person who is not properly storing them, but I think they constitute enough of a client base so you won't see negative articles on them) who often do ruin a car. If the argument stands that "it's their car to do with what they want" - why pick on "hoarders" then? Ahh, "They will usually never sell" - so what? "They value the chase and acquisition, and don't usually use or restore their cars" Again, so what?

From a societal point of view, if some "hoarder" type collectors have any mental health issues they are very minor compared to those whose issues impact others, not to mention run of the mill criminals. Seems like TV and now a hobbyist magazine is putting a lot of energy into examining this group - really? I think there are bigger things to worry about both within the hobby and in general.

Well, that is my two cents. And no, I am not a "hoarder" of collector cars or anything else, in fact I cannot see myself owning more than three at a time, as that is about the limit, IMO for me personally to maintain and enjoy in top shape. Could just be the libertarian in me but I found the article a little distasteful. Another case of "someone needs to be watching out for these people, to save them from themselves" - dissapointing to see Hagerty take this point of view, as that train of thought makes me think of the mayor of NYC trying to ban large softdrink containers - too many calories, we need a law for that...

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I read that article and I'm glad to say that I'm officially not a hoarder. My shop may look like it, but just bring lots of money, maybe a few bags full and start laying it out. I'll sell you pretty much anything in the building (including the building). Some stuff is real cheap. On the right day maybe even free. Some stuff well you may need a few more of those bags of money. I'll take gold as well. The right car or cars may work as well. I'm not to fussy.:)

I admit to recently criticising the buying decisions of someone who IMO had acquired too many unfinished cars when a knowledgeable friend reminded me that people buy cars for different reasons... :)

The guy with "a super rare widget" or "who has one of everything" exists in many other collecting hobbies - guns, gas & oil, etc. Some just don't want to play with others... On the other hand, funny how when those "Pickers" show someone a little respect, and of course, cash as Seeker suggests, they usually do alright... :D

God save the Hoarders.

How many guys are waiting for them to die so they can finnaly get that favorite piece that they have had their eye on for the last 7 years.

They are the protectors of the future of the hobby, without them, where yould your kid buy a 1927 widgit in perfect condition right off of the shelf?

There are a lot more collector cars out there than there are active collectors, so thank goodness for the hoarders! I can appreciate the philosophy of only owning 1,2, or 3 cars, but most collectors seem to have more than that, whether restored or not. In addition, there are 10's of thousands of collector cars for sale at any given time, that are "unwanted" by the owner for some reason, whether it be change of mind or change of hobby or change of financial status.

Long live the hoarder, it'll all end up with someone else in the end anyway!!

Steve, I have read the article a couple of times myself. I think you can take Jonathan's comments several ways. On the one hand it worries me that someday some of these collections may go to scrap and on the other hand having been in attendance at the Hartung sale I felt it a privilege to see the collection again. It was a also a joy to see so many people walk away with great treasures. I think the article was not entirely balanced but it was not meant to be. Many of us do not subscribe to the theory that hoarding is a disease or anti-social but we approach it from a different viewpoint.

I think the missing element in this was that what is one person's "problem" is simply another person's passion. Yes, a couple of these guys are very eccentric but is that bad? To my knowledge their behavior did not harm a soul.

The article is doing what a publisher likes...gets people talking! It is one man's opinion and not necessarily the opinion of Hagerty Insurance.

The only thing is I hate to see is the guy that won't sell a car because he's going to "fix it up" while it slowly sinks into the mud year after year after year. Now if you want to talk eccentric, I have 9 anvils and won't sell any. I have no idea why but I just like anvils..................Bob

It can get to be a sickness if you let it get out of hand. But, there are worse things you could be doing.As others have pointed out, it harms nobody and does preserve a stockpile of rarities.

I wonder how many rare and beautiful museum pieces only exist because of some crazy hoarder, hundreds or even thousands of years ago? Because at some time everything was brand new, then it became old second hand junk, and had to escape destruction before it became a valuable collector's item.

Guest billybird

I also read the article but sort of blew it off like a puff of smoke because I realized it was just one man's opinion. I did agree with some things in the article; and I disagreed with some the things. I mean, I'm not going to cancel my policy with Haggerty or anything like that. However ,I do feel we live in a society today that tries to make everything a sickness {drug companies no doubt love this ideology}. The article mentioned drug therapy. Come on; it's wrong to alter who someone really is with a drug unless they are a danger to others. And all this is just MY opinion.

Billybird, agree with your sentiments, and Steve M's comment that the article is intended to start discussion. That is intent of this post, to be clear I certainly am not advocating dropping Hagarty or anything like that they are a fine company as I mentioned in my OP, and I am a long term satisfied customer - just someone's opinion I don't happen to agree with, and thought might be of more interest than the usual rodder vs. restorer redux... :D

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
clarity (see edit history)

I'm enjoying the AACA magazine articles on Barney Pollard - was he a hoarder or a collector? Whatever he was, thank goodness. Steve is right on - thanks also to LeRoy Hartung for what he did-and didn't he sure enjoy it while he was alive. The article obviously served it's purpose, stimulating conversation. Now back to ebay...and American Pickers comes on later...

Terry

If you don't restore and drive the car, Haggerty is not going to make any money. The only danger the hoarder represents is to Haggerty making money.

Just when does the vehicle become a "Hoarded" item, off the road for 12 years, 24 years?. Uninsured and untaxed, I can see were the mindset of the author was headed. Hagerty isn't the only company in that business. Bob

Hoarding is a tuff term and could also be an emotional topic with some. I've got 4 vehicles, none on the road and most if not all could be considered by some far from reaching the road. All are uninsured, none have current registration/plates but none of them are setting outside either. I've been dinged now and then by some that I should sell one or more but it's not in the cards for now which has frustrated some too. Even though I may not be working on a given car I still am looking for and obtaining parts/items as I come across them that I am still in need of to complete them. My small collection is a personal passion. I still have every intention to work on and complete each one although it will be a lifes work most likely at this point in time. As has already been mentioned, a lot of things dictate how things will turn out least of which would be health and finances but for now this is not a current issue. Would I own more? Yes, if I had happened across something I had an emptional tie to, the space and the price was right. Scott...

BTW, those of you that have followed my thread on the Reviving a 69 Sportsman A100 in the Our Cars and Restoration Projects forum know my garage space is already spoken for but I still manage to make progress when I can.

There is a fine line between collecting and hoarding. Exactly what or where that line is remains open to interpretation and debate. I suspect that someone that doesn't "understand" car collecting could probably point the finger at any number of us and call us hoarders. It all depends on what the criteria is.

I sure don't think hoarders are the root of all evil in the automotive hobby. How are they any different than someone like Jay Leno that owns hundreds of fine cars and doesn't sell them? Is it because Leno is a public figure? is it because many of his vehicles are restored? Is it because he shows his vehicles? Is it because of his garage/storage complex? My point being, of course, that what one person sees as a collection another sees as a hoard and I'd bet that nearly 100% of the folks on this message board would call Leno's stuff a collection and not a hoard, right?

I've personally always looked at hoarders as sort of "treasure protectors" in the sense that they are assembling collections of cars/motorcycles/antiques in order to keep them from being scrapped/crushed, lost to time/nature, or from ending up in situations where they will not be appreciated, be it hot-rodding, etc. Yep, some of these cars are up to the frame rails in the mud, but they still exist, which is something.

I think a lot of people here are too paranoid about things being scrapped and crushed. Yes, some small collections have probably been crushed. Maybe even yards full of stuff, but I'd think that in this day and age (with TV full of car shows, American Pickers, the internet, etc.) that nobody in their right mind would come in to settle a hoarder's estate and immediately start crushing/scrapping cars by the hundreds. Anyone stumbling across a car hoard would have to realize that they are looking at something special that that hoards of hundreds of cars are not just scrap heaps. No...instead I suspect that they would start to see dollar signs and think auction. This "saves" the stuff and allows buyers to come in that need/want the stuff and who usually know what they're looking at. The family auctions a bunch of ratty looking rusty hulks for thousands of dollars (or more) each, realizing that so-and-so's old hoard of stuff really was pretty significant and valuable. Those people will then never look at "junk" that same way again, I guarantee it.

No, maybe you will never be able to buy something directly from a hoarder, but that's not really the point, is it? It seems to me that the point is that the hoarder will save stuff and it will EVENTUALLY end up in the hands of another collector rather than being thrown out. All the stuff we buy at flea markets and swap meets (heck, Hershey, anyone?) is all stuff that got saved...maybe by a hoarder at one time. And it was a collector or a picker that brought it there for you to take home.

I've been in a few motorcycle hoards that are unbelievable. Hundreds and hundreds of motorcycles, and not just the typical Harley and Indian stuff, either...some pre 1920 motorcycles (mostly American), ex-race bikes, rare foreign bikes, scooters, NOS parts of bikes, and so on. Not one nut and bolt was for sale and probably none of it will be in my life time. I've gotten over being upset/disappointed/angry about nothing being for sale. At least they are being saved for someone in the future. We can't personally have or "save" them all!

So...hoarders, pickers, collectors, auctioneers...they're all ok in my book. Without them, many of us would not own what we have today.

Drive, I don't follow you. Is your position that folks who have amassed a large number of cars, widgets, etc. should be compelled to share them? If so I cannot agree - while I agree with A.J. in principal I don't think that was the overriding reason for the article, I think it was just part of their desire to add interesting content. That said, I think anyone overly concerned with "hoarders" likely falls into one of 3 camps:

1) Busybodies who should be concerned about more pressing societal issues if that is their calling - My God, there are people drinking 20 oz soda all over the U.S. that need saving...

2) Those fellow collectors annoyed because they want what the "hoarder" is "hoarding" - "I deserve that car because I would restore it properly right now.."

3) Those who have some financial interest in (outside of collecting for themselves) in seeing the cache of whatever split out. Insurers, auctioneers, etc.

Aside from flagrent zoning violations, I have not found a sound argument that this is illegal, or even immoral. Unhealthy - not if one derives great satisfaction from preserving history - or even dreaming about restoring that old timer in the mud a couple times a week.

Hoarded cars may eventually be restored or parted down the road, but I cannot see the practice as having a negative material impact on the supply and demand in the hobby.

Something AACA should be concerned about, no, but Smartphones, Video Games, well, that's another story...

The only thing is I hate to see is the guy that won't sell a car because he's going to "fix it up" while it slowly sinks into the mud year after year after year. Now if you want to talk eccentric, I have 9 anvils and won't sell any. I have no idea why but I just like anvils..................Bob

It's in case that dang road runner comes back. :P

Drive, first, sorry not looking to insult anyone, actually I was just expanding on my thoughts after digesting this for a day or so - general comments not directed at you personally. I now see I did not "break" the two thoughts apart in a very elegant manner.

Second sorry but I still do not follow your thought pattern, I think I am missing something obvious here but dang if I can see it...

Dan the anvil reference was hillarious! :)

I only have ome anvil, I would like two.

Wile E, are you listening?

HEE HEE HEE. Actually there were ACME anvils made and sold. They were made by Columbus Forge and Iron for Sears Roebuck. I can see ole Wile E on the edge of a cliff now, with an Acme anvil and a pair of Acme Roller Skate Rockets.

But seriously, I don't know how any serious shop gets by without an anvil. It makes sooo many jobs easier..................Bob

"I think a lot of people here are too paranoid about things being scrapped and crushed. Yes, some small collections have probably been crushed. Maybe even yards full of stuff, but I'd think that in this day and age (with TV full of car shows, American Pickers, the internet, etc.) that nobody in their right mind would come in to settle a hoarder's estate and immediately start crushing/scrapping cars by the hundreds. Anyone stumbling across a car hoard would have to realize that they are looking at something special that that hoards of hundreds of cars are not just scrap heaps. No...instead I suspect that they would start to see dollar signs and think auction. This "saves" the stuff and allows buyers to come in that need/want the stuff and who usually know what they're looking at. The family auctions a bunch of ratty looking rusty hulks for thousands of dollars (or more) each, realizing that so-and-so's old hoard of stuff really was pretty significant and valuable. Those people will then never look at "junk" that same way again, I guarantee it. "

There is a junkyard I patronize that gets cars like that regularly. Ones that are complete, nearly rust free, obviously just pulled out of a garage somewhere, that they have been resting in for many years. Usually fifties or sixties models but a few weeks ago they got 2 Chrysler Imperial coupes from the early 80s. Sometimes they have spare parts like transmissions or cylinder heads in the trunk.

They all get picked over for chrome and small parts, carburetor etc, within a day or 2. This yard deals in scrap only, pays scrap prices only, and does not sell a complete car, ever.

Right now they have a 57 Plymouth, 2 55 Pontiacs, all junkers. They recently crushed a 39 LaSalle hearse, 47 Willys Jeep station wagon, fifties Mercedes, 40 Dodge, 38 Dodge, 51 Chev, 64 Econoline pickup with deluxe factory chrome package (rare) also junkers.

But some nice ones I recall were a 61 Buick, 52 Dodge (the owner drove it in), 64 Pontiac Bonneville that appeared to have been restored then left to rot for 20 years. There were others that caused a pang that I don't immediately recall. But at least once every 2 months I see a car that makes me think " what is that doing here? what were they thinking?" but of course, to most people an old car is just a hunk of junk.

We had a few hoarders in our area when I was a kid. One, in particular, was a guy named Don Smith. His parents had a large property in SoCal with a big, beautiful old house. He began bringing home old cars to "fix Up" when he was a kid in the mid 50s. One thing that was certain. Once the car passed through the gates, that was it. It would never run again and it would never be for sale. They just sat, many with the parts needed to repair them in the trunk or stuffed inside. New pistons, rings, bearings, valves, etc. in the boxes, ready to go but never used. It was always the same story we've all heard a million times, "Gonna fix it up one of these days." A flood came through the property and buried a late 20's Stude Big Six up to the window sills. "I'm gonna dig it up one of these days." There were others, too. A 34 Ford Tudor in a collapsing building, a 47 Roadmaster 4 door convertible, a 40 Willys coupe, a big 36 Nash Ambassador, Crosleys, a few Power Wagons. There were probably a hundred cars. He also liked appliances and newspapers and accumulated so much that he had to move into an out building because you couldn't get into the house any longer. Sometime in the mid 70s he went to prison, on a trumped up murder charge. The property was seized and everything was auctioned off. He was, a few years later, exonerated of the murder and released. A settlement allowed him to buy an apartment complex which he, you guessed it, began to fill with cars and used appliances. Eventually he had no tenants and the city condemned the building. He ended up in a crummy little house, filled with crap and junk, where he died. I went over there, with another guy, afterwards and were poking around. Nothing but junk until he reached up on a shelf and pulled down a set of NOS cast aluminum Y Block T Bird valve covers.

Is there a moral or point to this rambling diatribe? I dunno. Time and circumstances are against the real, pathological hoarder. Somebody will, eventually, get the stuff. Hopefully it's hasn't deteriorated to the point of uselessness or the survivors call the crusher

The unfortunate part is that many guys who deal in scrap only see metal and weight. A pile of NOS bumpers to them is X pounds at so many dollars a pound, nothing else. They could be Cord bumpers, 57 T bird bumpers or 70's big car bumpers, Doesn't matter. Unfortunately some of the guys I know or atleast know of will scrap a gas pump as quick as they will scrap a double sided porcelain sign and not think twice about it. They don't care. There thinking is strictly in scrap value, nothing else.

I try to give them a little education and a little cash to swing stuff my way but when they are hauling, it's right to the scrap yard. even the scrap yard that use to set stuff aside now puts it all right in the dumpster.

Hopefully the scrap guys you know will atleast give you a heads up when they have a find or clean out a building/yard.

Most of my friends and I wouldn't be considered Hoarder's, but we have multiple collector cars. It's like having vehicles we

want in many categories. Now, not every AACA Class is of interest, it's fun to play in multiple classes and different types of tours where we can drive them with others who share a similar interest.

One of my buddies announced once that "he finally realized he didn't have to own all the cars he liked". I have to agree with that,

but isn't it wonderful that we're FREE to do that if we can?

AuburnSeeker, your mention of signs and pumps got me thinking - been collecting this stuff for a long time, but have only recently been able to properly display my collection, before it was scatterred about, with no order. While I am very happy to have it out where it can be enjoyed, was it a "hoard" or a "collection" before? Hmm...

Tough to believe scrappers don't differentiate but my theory is that they go for the quick, dependable sale, and are not in the business of tracking down potential buyers for signs, pumps or desirable car parts for that matter. Anyone who does this as a business or a hobby knows it can take a while for the right buyer no matter what you have to offer - couple that with the lethargic economy and I think you can see the issue. I hate to see the loss there but I bet the key is timing - and it is tough to be there anytime something like that comes in...

BTW - put that Christmas Vette on the road yet, Seeker? :)

My shop is actually on the main scrappers route in our area. It's about 3-4 miles past my shop and two rights then you're on the scales. Surprisingly even though I have a huge 4 x 8 sign on the building that says buying old cars and parts in 18 inch tall letters, rarely anyone stops. I get to see what goes by though when I'm outside working. Probably atleast a couple an hour if not alot more. Depends on the day. I have gone over before to drop of some junk rusted parts and followed a ranger pickup in with the quarters off a 59 Olds in it complete with tail lights. They were pretty rough though and when you can put a 59 Olds in the back of a Ranger pickup you know what everything had been reduced through with torches and a cutting maul or sledge hammer.

Steve: I'm trying to save up enough money to pay the sales tax on the Vette. Trying to do my part to offset the budget deficit you know. :mad: That's more than I paid for any one of my first 4 collector cars. Hoping to have enough saved by when the real spring arrives.

Ha - you may want to consider a dealer plate.

One last hoarding story for me today - one of my good friends has been a collector/restorer and kind of a hoarder since we were kids. Well, how can you fit 6 - 8 cars into a 4 car garage? Easy, you take half of them apart and pile things up!! (He also had a bare MOPAR V-8 block in his kitchen forever. "You may be a hoarder if..." ;)

Unfortunately, large collections do get crushed sometimes. I knew of one in Texas, over 1000 cars and nothing newer than 1968.

At one point, myself along with two other family members had over 100 cars. One is a definite hoarder driving one that's running maybe once a year and won't sell even when a good offer is made along with getting new ones. I've saved some that were likely to be junked, but due to space issues am having to scrap some 80s cars. My dad held onto some Corvairs and a '62 Galaxie for years. I tried helping him sell them with prices eventually working their way down close to scrap prices, but even then they went unsold and it was much easier to sell to one party opposed to waiting to sell them individually or parting them out. I did get some parts off them, but I didn't have the time to make a couch out of the '62 Galaxie or keep a '64 coupe like I wanted. Texas is a good place to see cars stay relatively dry, but busted windows can often cause a car to go down hill a lot. The '64 coupe had faded paint and decent interior, but had a hole in the windshield left uncovered, which certainly allowed the interior to get somewhat worse. As far as busted windows, a family member got a one owner pink '57 Sixty Special Fleetwood with gold trim that was parked in the 70s, but the owner's grandkids busted out all the windows causing the interior to fade away down to the springs and floors to be rusted out. So what would've made a decent survivor or restoration candidate has now become a parts car.

Well I have a rule (occasionally broken but not for long) that all vehicles must be inside and that limits things a bit though do have a parts car at a friend's. Of course I now have in various places two double and two single car garage doors so nothing must be moved to get one out, not easy in a neighborhood with a HOA but most are designed to be hidden.

Will admit that part of the reason I moved to Orlando was because things don't rust here (grew up on coast) though in last 25 years it has grown more than I like.

Really need to weed all of the stuff out left over from previous cars but have been told that if I have a garage sale to advertise in Hemmings. Do not buy much but when things have been acquired since 1970 (and have some tools from the '60s) they tend to accumulate. If could eliminate junque would be room for two more cars but I like the number 7 (five cars, the RV, and a scooter. All "odd". OTOH for an unintendedly single person even that is a little silly. And OTGH other than the foundling, all are distinctly different and have different purposes so could think of the garage as my walk-in closet.

Have learned one important lesson though: never take something apart until you have all of the parts/tools/money needed for the job. Things in pieces tend to stay that way.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I'm just a recreational hoarder, so if you would like to contribute to my recreational drugs fund.... lol.. I fall into the "gonna fix it up some day" category, but most of what is parked in the pasture is pretty much worthless in today's market anyway. Nothing rare or in very good shape. Much of it is there because it fit into a particular project I had in mind, or was in danger of being scrapped. A very rough 30 Model A 5 window coupe body was actually rescued out of a town dump... again, not rare, but they are no longer in everyone's pasture around here either. I'm also on high ground... no sinking into the mud. Sold anything? No, but I did trade a very rough 23 T touring body/frame for an almost complete 47 International pickup that is restorable. Until now I haven't had a heated shop to work in, and the summer season is already too short for the jobs at hand, so hopefully this year work starts on my shop, and perhaps someday, I really will get to "fix one of them up".

Ok, I just read this article, and I really can't see why anyone would find it offensive or find it necessary to defend the hoarders. First it states that someone that simply collects a lot of cars is not a hoarder. Anyone that buys, restores, and then sells them is fine. So is anyone that buys a lot of cars and takes them to shows. It doesn't really specify, but I would say that anyone that has some projects that they haven't gotten to for years isn't considered a hoarder based on that alone.

It states that a hoarder is someone that lives in squalor, regardless of financial status, and devotes their life to simply amassing as many cars, parts, and automobilia, as they can get. These items are simply stacked up and never restored or cared for until they deteriorate. The hoarders will usually never sell or trade anything or let anyone see their collection. They keep hoarding until they die, at which point, someone else has to go through their stuff and sell any salvageable stuff. The rest that is too far gone, is thrown out. This isn't someone that simply collects a lot of projects that they are not getting around to working on. And they are not doing the hobby any favors either. Yes, some of their stuff will be sold and go to collectors after they die. But it was probably in much better shape before they got it, and would have been in better hands with another collector that even if they didn't get around to restoring it, would have tried to keep it from deteriorating so badly. I've never watched more than a few minutes of the show "Hoarders", but this is basically the same thing, only with cars and auto related items. If the regular hoarders are treated with medications and therapy, why should it be any different for hoarders that hoard car stuff as opposed to anything else?

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Sorry about the less than timely reply to this thread........but, here goes.

I am a hoarder. My father was a hoarder. Pretty sure granddad was too. Unfortunately, there are no weekly meetings or 10 step plan.

When settling up dad's estate in early 1990ish (there was no internet), we couldn't find any purchasers for two corvairs, a sunbeam alpine, a sunbeam alpine GT. We had to scrap them. Nobody was willing to step up to the plate and save these cars that dad considered desireable. We even tried to give them away...no takers!

I even let his old Allstate scooter go for lack of storage space. Some thief had already rendered it engineless.

We did keep an A model, Dodge touring, Dodge roadster, and T roadster.

Those who are critical of people who "save" these pieces for some later use by themselves or somebody else should be more considerate of the sometimes substantal investment in time and money made by these savers. Storage buildings and backyard garages are not cheap. My cars are all indoors away from the weather and pying eyes, never a nuisance to my neighbors.

The number of people who wish to pry from a saver some car or truck is usually equal to the number of people who wish your personal possesions were subject to their will and prompty disposed of.

As far as valuable collections being crushed, I not buying. Is this day of instant media, online auctions, ebay etc there is not much of an arguement for "lost and overlooked" collections. Never forget this, estates are handled by attorneys and agents who get payed a fee based on the amount of M O N E Y the estate returns. I think you will find these people quite astute.

Pardon my rant,

I remain

the Son of a Son of a Hoarder! P.S> the ah is for austin healy (my personal hoard)