Questionable questions about your car?

Here are some of the "questionable" questions I get a lot...

• While 2+ miles offshore at Lake of the Ozarks in my Amphicar a lady on a large boat asks... "Does that thing really float?
  • "How deep does it go?" (I'm still confused by what they mean)
  • "Why did you put propellors on your car?"
  • While at a stoplight in town... "Is that really a car too?"
  • "What kind of car is that? ... An Amphicar.... Who made it? ... Amphicar... What company made them... AMPHICAR!!"
  • Why did you convert your (Austin/57 Chevy/Sunbeam/studebaker) into this?"
  • "Can it sink?"

What kind of questions do you get?

Hmm, These people don't know what a AMPHICAR is! The question "How deep does it go," I would have expected BOAT people to say " How much does it draw," meaning draft/draught. The depth of the ship's keel below the waterine or in your case I guess, the depth of wheels. But you know this already...

I usually get "Is that a real car"? "Can you drive it on the road?" Like you ..."Who made it ". "Crosley" "But who made Crosley, Ford or GM?" "What Country was it made in?" "Indiana" "Is that in England?" My favorite statement was from a VERY good looking blonde lady who looked in my eyes and said "that is the cutest little thing I have ever seen". I'm glad she was looking at my eyes!!!

The dopes who live in the house across the street saw me bring my '29 Cadillac home for the first time and argued with me that it was some kind of replica. When I told them it was legit and nobody was making fake 1929 Cadillac sedans, the moron countered with, "My buddy has two of them made in Korea." OK then, good on him. Enjoy your meth.

My favorite question was when I was out driving my father's 1930 Model A Ford roadster and a fellow in a pickup pulled up next to me. He gestured to the famous Model A quail hood ornament and asked, "What is that, some kind of grouse?" Kudos for asking the question, and for reaching for the unusual. I always laugh when I think of that guy and forevermore will the Model A hood ornament be "some kind of grouse" to me.

The dopes who live in the house across the street saw me bring my '29 Cadillac home for the first time and argued with me that it was some kind of replica. When I told them it was legit and nobody was making fake 1929 Cadillac sedans, the moron countered with, "My buddy has two of them made in Korea." OK then, good on him. Enjoy your meth.

My favorite question was when I was out driving my father's 1930 Model A Ford roadster and a fellow in a pickup pulled up next to me. He gestured to the famous Model A quail hood ornament and asked, "What is that, some kind of grouse?" Kudos for asking the question, and for reaching for the unusual. I always laugh when I think of that guy and forevermore will the Model A hood ornament be "some kind of grouse" to me.

The curmudgeon in me is always happy to have something to grouse about. :rolleyes:

I guess I have to drive my car more. I don't seem to get many of the strange comments people have mentioned here. Other than once I too was asked if I was the original owner of my 1933, a car built when my father was 7 years old. :)

Guest Old48Truck

Dumb questions and comments don't just apply to old vehicles. We had a Smart for a while.

"How many clowns does it hold?" Bring all your friends over and we'll find out.

"Can it go on the highway?" Yes, but not after dark.

"I'd hate to be in that when it's hit by an eighteen wheeler." Personally, I wouldn't want to be in ANYTHING being hit by an eighteen wheeler.

"I wouldn't let my wife drive one of those." You've told her that, eh?

Keiser..... You have enough knowledge to be 108 years old.

You blow me away, sometimes with stuff you know.

These are compliments.

Hey.... I live on this web site too.

I love old cars as much as you do.

I'm a poet and don't know it.

Cause my feet sure show it.

Cause they're Longfellows.

Bill H

Guest Dave Boyer

Last weekend, I drove my 73 Maverick Grabber to Greenfield Village (Dearborn, MI) for our national Maverick meet.

When I was getting out of my car, some guy pulled up, and asked me what I was driving..without really thinking, I said "This"......

The stupidest question I have heard was directed at my wife, and not me, which was a good thing. At the time we were in the middle of Nevada stopping for gas in our 1928 Studebaker President sedan traveling from Sacramento, CA to Logan, UT. This woman walks up to my wife and starts to question her as to why we traveling cross country in an old car with small children. The car looked like we were from the Dust Bowl of Oklahoma in the Grapes of Wrath, our camping gear and luggage was tied down all over the outside of the car. My wife graciously explained that we were on a family camping vacation and were making a big loop from California, through Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, and then back to Sacramento. The women asked: “Why are you allowing your HUSBAND to put your family through this kind of TORTURE?”

By way, we drove almost 3,000 miles, saw lots of country in two weeks while camping, meeting and talking to lots of folks along the way. And had lots of fun doing it. Yes, all of us, including the wife and kids. After 15 years the kids still talk about that camping trip.

One of the funniest things that happened to me really happened to my brother while I was with him. He had a Morgan +4 and I had a Triumph TR3 and we were on a small tour. While we were stopped for breakfast, an MG pulled up along side of us and we talked with the driver for a short time. A couple of college kids came up to the cars and one of them said to the other, "What does MG stand for on that little car?" The other replied, "Morgan Garages!" We still laugh about that one...

Frank

Back a lot further than I want to admit, I did a "body-off" restoration of my first antique vehicle - a 1929 Model A Closed Cab Pickup. We went all the way with the restoration - new Rock Moss Green Lacquer paint with black fenders, new wood in the back, new interior, new plating. The project took over a year and when finished was truly show quality. One day I decided to drive it to work. I was parking the truck and saw one of our employees walking up the sidewalk on the other side of the street.

I said to him, "Marvin - how to you like my new truck?". He stared intently at the truck and finally said, "It's good enough to drive back and forth to work".

I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder. I never forgot his words and have restored many cars since. When they are finished, I alway say, "It's good enough to drive back and forth to work".

Fred

post-48037-143138613643_thumb.jpg

I don't mind questionable questions, especially from young people. That's how they learn. Two years ago I had one of my brass cars at a local show that usually doesn't attract many early cars. My car has a "Prest-O-Lite" tank on the side and a teenager asked if I put a nitro tank on the car so I could keep up with traffic. I explained that it holds acetylene gas for the head lights and showed him how it is piped to the lights and how you have open the lens and light them with a match. Then he tells me he didn't know they invented cars before electricty.

Guest kaycee

:confused:I wish I had a dollar for every time somone asked me if my Marmon was built in Utah or thought I mispronounced the name, and when I search Marmon on eBay it asks did you mean Mormon.My '28 Pontiac is a little easier to explain as is my '71 Corvette. I will say that it can be fun answering and trying to explain old car questions but these people are'nt old car nuts like us so it can be time consuming!!

:) kaycee

When I drive my Riv, I get asked "Is that an Impala?" or "You got a 350 in that thing ??"

Ding ding ding! This, in my opinion, is the standard question that alerts a car owner that the person s/he is talking to knows nothing about cars...unless you're driving a Chevrolet! You got a 350 in that?

Guest 36chev
When I drive my Riv, I get asked "Is that an Impala?" or "You got a 350 in that thing ??"
Ding ding ding! This, in my opinion, is the standard question that alerts a car owner that the person s/he is talking to knows nothing about cars...unless you're driving a Chevrolet! You got a 350 in that?

Agreed. My 36 Chevrolet is a amateur restored driver with the original 207 six cylinder. Several times observers have asked in various ways "When are you going to put in the 350?" or "When are you going to put on mag wheels?" One individual was particularly obnoxious, basically stating that it was a worthless piece of junk unless it had a 350 in it.:mad:

Hmm, These people don't know what a AMPHICAR is! The question "How deep does it go," I would have expected BOAT people to say " How much does it draw," meaning draft/draught. The depth of the ship's keel below the waterine or in your case I guess, the depth of wheels. But you know this already...

And the answer is.... all the way to the bottom,... that is,,, if you leave the doors open! :P Dandy Dave!

Aside from the already mentioned "Did you buy it new?", and "Who made Packard?", the question I always get asked at a gas station when filling up one of the bathtub Packards is "What is that noise?"

I then go on to explain that from 1941-1951 most models of Packard were equipped with a Packard 'Gas Tank Whistle' which alerted the gas station attendant that the tank was within 1 gallon of being full when the whistling stopped.

Not exactly a questionable question... more of an inevitable question. It's a been a great conversation starter.

Guest Klayfish

I used to have an FFR Shelby Cobra 427 replica. Had a 351W motor in it. Most people asked "Is it real?", which was an acceptable question to ask. But I had many people ask me..."Is that one of those VW Beetle kit cars?" Really? The fact that there's a large V8 sitting in the front of the car just might be a clue.

Guest Double M

I could go on and on with this one.

As you can see from my signature picture, I drive some interesting Vehicles...

Questions & ANSWERS about The Reatta...

Is that a Fiero? (NO)

Thats a Rivera, right? (ALMOST)

That's a Buick? (YES IT IS)

Why does it have only 2 seats? (TO ANNOY YOU)

Questions & ANSWERS about the Scooters...

How fast does it go? (OVER 65 MPH)

Do you need a Motorcycle licence to drive that? (OF COURSE)

I usually get that one from drunks at bars, that probably lost their licence...

Is that a Moped? (GRRRRR, IT'S A SCOOTER, MOPEDS HAVE PEDALS!)

How much does one of those cost? (NEW - THEY START AROUND $4000)

Guest EMF-Owner

I had the Model T at a show once and an "expert" came up and asked me why I would want to drive a car that you had to back up hills? When I told him that you would only have to back up hills if you were low on gas, he went on to tell me that I had to back up any steep hill. I then told him that my Model T would go anywhere a modern car could go and many places where a modern car could not. He basically told me I did not know what I was talking about. Such fun.

Guest prs519

Quoted from Mr. Harwood's post:

"My favorite question was when I was out driving my father's 1930 Model A Ford roadster and a fellow in a pickup pulled up next to me. He gestured to the famous Model A quail hood ornament and asked, "What is that, some kind of grouse?" Kudos for asking the question, and for reaching for the unusual. I always laugh when I think of that guy and forevermore will the Model A hood ornament be "some kind of grouse" to me. "

Now my (ironically) stupid question: So, is the grouse a member of the Quail family, or is the Quail a member of the Grouse family, or.....are they no kin at all?

Another question of questionable merit: "How about starting it up so we can hear it

run?"

"It" was already running and we were leaning against the front fender, chewing the fat. "IT" was a sweet little Ford flathead, circa 1940.

Perry

I once drove my 1910 Hupmobile runabout to work. I had the windshield off the car, and no top, and of course the car was made without doors.

My secretary at the time walked out, took one look, and said "David, it's a shame you can't afford a whole car!'...................

It's almost finished, upholstery done since this picture....

post-31482-143138614175_thumb.jpg

Aside from the already mentioned "Did you buy it new?", and "Who made Packard?", the question I always get asked at a gas station when filling up one of the bathtub Packards is "What is that noise?"

I then go on to explain that from 1941-1951 most models of Packard were equipped with a Packard 'Gas Tank Whistle' which alerted the gas station attendant that the tank was within 1 gallon of being full when the whistling stopped.

Not exactly a questionable question... more of an inevitable question. It's a been a great conversation starter.

And today, I learned something.

I don't recall my 52 whistling, but I owned it in the 60s, so I don't remember much, anyway

In regards to my Packard neo-classic that was built in the 1980's -

"Is that real?"

"No, its a hologram."

In regards to my daily driver 1991 Cadillac six-door limousine -

"Was that a limo?"

"It is a limo, it was a sedan."

In regards to any of my six hearses -

"Is that a real hearse?"

"Have you ever seen a fake one?"

"Don't you know that only Cadillac built hearses?"

"Then explain this Packard/Lincoln/Mercury/Oldsmobile one we're standing in front of."

(And that's completely ignoring the discussion about "no, as a matter of fact, Cadillac never did build any hearses on their own.")

And using the logic that a stupid question deserves a stupid answer -

"Have you ever had s** in the back?"

"That depends. Do you mean with living people?"

You can tell the genuinely interested from the just plain ignorant, regardless as to the questions they ask. The genuinely interested, I'll gladly talk to as long as they want. The just plain ignorant usually have already made up their mind about your car and no answer you can give will change their already decided upon belief. In those cases, I'm happy to think to myself "go wander off now and continue being an idiot".

Edited by superior1980 (see edit history)

Ahh yes, those "experts" that I love so much. :( I have had one person argue with me about when Amphicars were made (61-68) because he insisted bought one new in 1956 and I had no idea what I was talking about. Another guy was abosolutely certain the draft was just 4" below the top of the doors and I was mistaken even though I was speaking to him while on the water next to his jetski. Humf?

I usually give in to those people with silence and just walk away quietly screaming in my head.

Guest Skyking

Number 1 question a Metropolitan owner is asked.........".Does it go in the water??"

I love to answer, "Only when it rains"

When I first got my Studebaker, I was out riding and a guy followed me home. Among the questions he asked was... What kind of car is it? A 1922 Studebaker, I replied. Next came was...Was that when Ford owned Studebaker?... No, Ford never owned Studebaker, said I. I think you're wrong said he.. Well, go check it out with other car people, and you'll find out that Ford NEVER owned Studebaker. He left after another question or two, and I've never seen him since.

As my grandmother used to say....If ignorance was bliss, some people would be blistered....B