Anyone Thinking of Buying Another Collector Car Soon?

Steve_Mack_CT

So we have had several threads on cars people have had, etc. as well as "wish lists" but I am curious, is anyone thinking about that next purchase? Does not have to be immediate, but if you were to add to your current collection what would it be and why? Kind of real world, I may do this list vs. the usual wish lists that come out around Christmastime..

Me, I would consider one of three or four next.

Packard '33-34 sedan or club sedan, CCCA Eligible and relative bargain compared to an open car.

Lincoln Continental '40-'48 same reasons as above, and much cheaper in closed version than many CCCA eligible cars. Would also be something different to keep the '39 Packard company with.

Lincoln Continental '61-'63 because I feel this is the best postwar production car design of the 1960s, and a car I always wanted. Totally undervalued compared to many cars of the same era, especially in sedan form.

Porsche Boxster to use more or less seasonally with collector potential.

(This is my wife's pick, so most likely the next move and would be fun..)

Strangely, for a rabid Packard fan, three of these choices are not Packards - but this is a "real world" list, and while there are Packards I would want I simply cannot afford, the Lincolns are great cars also and have been on the want list a while.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Good list Steve, but rather than the Porsche the best deal for fun on the market is a Fiat or Alfa Spider. You have to learn how to work on it yourself (no problem) and find a solid example (more of a problem) and you could have a classic (small c, figure of speech) roadster that can get over 20 mpg and lots of fun for pennies compared to a Porsche. Of course if it was not HER idea it may have limited potential, but just a thought.....Todd C

If I live long enough to finish the projects I have I'll be happy. I don't see any funds in my future for more wheeled projects.

+1

I keep seeing cars I want to buy but it just doesn't make financial sense and I know it will take away precious resources from the ones I have and really need to finish.

I have my eyes open for a nice 66-68 Thunderbird hardtop coupe- not a Landau.

A nice 1969 Impala Sport Coupe is on the radar too but looks like all of those have fallen off the earth. I don't like big outsized roof sail panels, hence why I want a Sport Coupe over a Custom, and a T-bird hardtop over a Landau.

Those are what would make me part with my money.

I just bought one about a month ago. The Buick guys were leading me on and said I should have a Riviera. Mr. Earl had a hand in getting it started. I never thought that I was going to win that ebay car so cheap. I bid, and the next thing I knew, I owned it.... Oh, and it is a Red Buick Riviera 1982 Convertible. I took it for a long ride last weekend and it really is fun to drive. That is it for now anyway, unless I unload something as space is limited. Dandy Dave!

The prices presently are too good to pass up. I just bought an '89 Allante in Scottsdale AZ. I'm flying out Saturday and will spend next week driving her back to NY.

Downside to the low prices is the '84 Seville Elegante I've been promising myself I'll sell for over a year now will have to go, but every time I look at what I'd likely get for her I decide I'd rather keep her. I'm already renting an additional garage maybe I need to rent two? I need help. :rolleyes:

Yes, space and diversion from current cars are an issue. Forgot one, this may be a bit more down the road. A Model A project, had one for a few years and they are easy to work on, would like to do another restoration someday and figure that re-restoring an old restoration would be the way to go. For now, I am finding it is actually cheaper to avoid projects, which is why I opted not to go with a solid, complete Sr. Packard we also looked at needing some work rather than the 120 which is basically a restored car.

I would imagine if you are in the midst of one or more active restorations, more cars would be overwhelming.

Todd, your suggestion is interesting. We had a TR-6 for years, and lots of little roadsters would fit the bill. Do the Italian cars leave those cool oil/gas/coolant/mystery puddles underneath as well?? I think I will leave this one up to her...

Steve,

Unfortunately I am ALWAYS thinking of buying another car. I bought my Pierce when I was still working on a 63 Riviera which has since been sold. While still sorting out the Pierce I bought the 32 Cadillac so I now have two prewar cars that I am attempting to make into dependable drivers. This current lack of a cruiser has led me to start looking at 50s / 60s cars again, I toyed with a 59 Edsel convertible and lately have seriously considered a 64 Ford Galaxie XL like one I had back in prehistoric times. My wife questions my sanity but this is not a new situation - just symptoms of the disease we all seem to have.

I just finished my 7th car a 55 Chrysler and swore that I would do no more!

Then I visited a friend and there was a 55 Ford f-100 sitting there with a sad look in it's eye... I couldn’t just let it sit there, rusting away.

Half way through that project, I made the mistake of going to a junk yard and sitting right next to the crusher was a 56 Ford fire truck with the same sad look... (#9)

I'm always looking to add something different to my collection. Just sold off my 1948 Cadillac so I have space and means at the moment. Anyone out there liquidating any of there cars. I like all kinds of cars 1930-1960's Wagons are nice I haven't had one of those yet that was usable. A convertible would be nice as well. Cars needing a little work are fine. I've learned to avoid those needing total resurrection. The more unusual the car the better.

Current stable includes a 57 Tbird, 56 Olds hardtop, 36 Chrysler roadster, and a pair of 32 Fords. All drivable except the 36 Chrysler, Getting there though. maybe a few more weeks.

great post the economy really sucks right now,so calif has been hit hard and believe me i didnt avoid it, but will still beg borrow and steal if an unrestored devaux cabriolet convertible appears,think im safe though,the wife knows im crazy but puts up with me anyway, am always looking for devaux parts and literature

dave

Todd, your suggestion is interesting. We had a TR-6 for years, and lots of little roadsters would fit the bill. Do the Italian cars leave those cool oil/gas/coolant/mystery puddles underneath as well?? I think I will leave this one up to her...

Hi Steve, actually IMO the Italian cars have some real plusses over the British. They can leak, but my Pontiacs are worse, and mail order parts availability is very good as is tech support at online forums, both better than the Pontiacs(!)

Take a look at www.alfabb.com and www.international-auto.com

Full disclosure, I currently have an Alfa I would like to sell but no one should come 800 miles to buy mine. Google around, there are plenty around New York/New Jersey and up into New England, just watch for rust and amateur tinkering. I would say the pluses and minuses are as follows:

MINUS--rust, local parts and service availability (more for me than you though)

PLUS--roomy interior and easy to use tops compared to the British.

DOHC engines, 5 speed transmissions, 4 wheel disc brakes

Very good mail order parts support at reasonable prices

Cost to buy is extremely low, which means you can (and should) afford to seek out the best possible example. Nice garage kept 1970s and 1980s models can turn up for $5000-$6000 and decent cars needing work go for half that. Rusty projects are worth nothing. Lots of fun for the money and the values cannot go any lower. Todd

When my 1979 Mark V was totaled, I was looking for one of 3 cars to replace it.

1. 1978 Continental Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition in blue

2. 1956 Packard 400

3. 1962 Imperial 2 door

Looked at some of each but the right combo of price and condition never showed up. The 1976 Givenchy showed up instead. So if any of those 3 ever appeared, I would probably go for it. It would be better if they didn't though as cash is tight and storage would be a problem.

Seems like my tastes are constantly changing though "weird" and "orphan" are common. Had a '68 FIAT 124 spyder I really liked and putting the top up was a one hand afair.

Only odd thing is that the electrics often make good hand warmers and it seemed that few ever clean the oil slinger on the front of the crank. Nearly every instance I saw of low oil pressure was a clogged slinger.

And if you want something reall unknown and rare, the later (Pinin Farina) years had a turbo version that could be had with a/c.

Just a quick look on CL turned this up but I Know Nothing....

I have two cars, my '71 LeSabre and '72 LTD but also have the '89 Cutlass Ciera I inherited from my uncle which can be registered as an antique in Maine now. It's a low mile car but has the typical GM rust around the edges. Registering it as an antique is like finding a Chevette or Pinto at a car show. I just can't bring myself to think that way. Anyway, my wife thinks I have 2 cars too many. I occasionally point out that some of you on this forum have many more than I do, but it doesn't do any good!

My list is long but I'm a sucker for any low mile original car. If I found a 64-68 Galaxie/LTD 4 door hardtop or 67-68 Mercury Park Lane, it would be hard to pass up. I've also always wanted an Edsel and a '56 Packard.

I know most want a 57 Chevy, but for me if a good 57 Ford two door came along, I just might go crazy and buy it if the price was right. I had a chance to buy a nice 89 Chrysler TC a few months back and now wonder if I should have bought it. So, I guess there may be some chance that I would spring for a car in the coming months.

There are a few cars that would make me reach for my wallet. Of course, I'd also be reaching for the checkbook to pay for the divorce lawyer!

Anyway, a '65 Coronet (basic 4-door, not a muscle version), stick-shift Volare or Aspen (also a basic one), and last but not least a 68-69 Pontiac Lemans Sport Sedan (4 door hardtop) are at the top of my list.

Harold

I would always buy the right car in a heartbeat, but finding a place to store it would be the problem. I am totally out of space and should really sell what I have first. At today's prices selling would not be a good idea either. What a catch 22. D***** if you do, D***** if you don't. 100+ year old autos are not that easy to market.

Just venting!

Love the hobby.

Caddyshack in MN.

Why is it that car guys generally end up with partners that don't share their passion for things automotive? My wife tolerates my interest and generally doesn't protest too much but there are times I wonder how life would be different if she shared my interest. When I buy a new model or diecast, she always says, "Another one, you've already got a hundred of them." When I tell her I don't have one of this make or model, she says,"one or a hundred, they all look alike to me." Years ago, I was at a toy show and this guy beside me was looking at some nearly perfect friction '58 Ford hardtops. There were three and he was trying to decide which color to get when his girlfriend/wife who was standing beside him said, "Why don't you just get all three?" I was thinking, man, what a lucky guy.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I always want to buy another classic car.. So many cars on my list, so little time & money.. As much as I'd like to take advantage of todays car prices, now is just not a financially good time to buy more. Besides, another vehicle would take away from efforts I could use to finish what I have started already.. As far as what I'd buy, I'm open to many ideas...

thinking.... my problem is that i like way too many and have far too little money. i need to focus on a few that i already have and sell the others to finance those few. so... my '67 bondo barge 2dr t-bird standard style and my '63, '62, '60 cad projects (and a few others) should be listed for sale... but it's hard to part company with them... i'm still sad with what i've already sold or given to my kids.

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

The car I own now has been put on the back burner. I really couldn't afford it, but it was one of those great deals, due to the economy. That being said, there are many I would LIKE to have, but the true reality is, just don't have the money. Maybe a nice Model A.

Guest 1hooligan

1933 or 1934 ford station wagon. restored would make me pull out my wallet now. Wish I could find one that the owner did not want 2005-06 prices in todays market. Never know.

When I was a young boy up in Stockholm I dreamed about the Cadillacs, a '53 coupe in yellow with green tinted glasses, or a '55 - '56 Eldorado Cab, dark red with tan interior and continental kit... Such dreams seldome come true, and my first car was the closest I could get to it, a french Simca Vedette Beaulieu '58. That was a former french Ford with stone-aged technology: a tiny 84 HP flathead V8 and 3 speed shift with no synch on first gear, not very sofisticated but with a beautyfully designed american styled bodywork. Surprisingly it offered an excellent behavement on the road and I had lots of fun drifting in snow and ice. Actually I have no space for storing an extra car, but there are plans to move out on the countryside and, who knows, it is not impossible to find a Vedette, Beaulieu or Chambord version, in France... would be great, no need for a Cad any longer.

By the way, I think that was the only car in the world that was born as a Ford (in France) and ended up as a Chrysler (in Brazil) ?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been thinking of buying another car, somewhat specific. The type of car I'm interested in comes up for sale regularly, but I have thought about running a Wanted ad.

For those of you that have run Wanted ads, what kind of results did you get? Did you get hit with lots of overpriced or misrepresented junk, or attempted scam, or did things work out well?

Guest cardinal905

I put an add for a buick on the Buick forum below. An ex-BCA president answered my add and had many Buicks for sale. We ended up becoming friends and I bought 2 Buicks from him. Several people answered my add for a driver---they were projects not drivers, thats the only problwm I had. If you were to place that type add , this forum would be the place to do it, mostly car guys here !! Buyer beware as always. Good luck, need a 62 Corvair convertible ?

Guest ktm858

I am always looking for another car but don't really have anything in mind. Things usually just happen and I come across something that catches my eye. I have found that if I am looking for a certain make and model I can't find that car and if im not looking for a car they come at me like crazy. Last year I wasn't really looking for a car at Hershey and poof i came home with a 41 Buick Special. Then again I was at a local show and saw a 69 Dodge Super Bee and really had no intention of buying anything then poof a week later I bought it.