Here I go again...Another New TV show

Steve Moskowitz

Here is what I know but first read the flyer.  This show will be modeled after Antiques Roadshow.  They are looking for cars and/or amazing memorabilia (I assume the rarer the better) which they will pay to be shipped by appropriate car carriers to LA where the shoot will take place.  They will fly you out there to tell your story about your car.  Here is what you may or may not like:  They will ask you to place a value on the car and then have "experts" chime in on the same.  Antiques Roadshow meets the Appraisers meets What's My Car Worth.  Has to be some serious money behind this show. 

Once again, do not kill the messenger!  I know some of you hate these shows but some DO like them...I just keep passing on opportunities for you guys.

Discovery_CarSeries_Flyer.jpg

• Like 2

I, for one, appreciate your passing on the information about this proposed show.  Whether or not I love or hate it will be determined by the show itself.  Even if the show turns out to be less than a hit, it still spot lights the existence of the "Old Car Hobby".

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 3

Pretty funny. You must sign a release just to submit an application. I'd like to see the legal  boiler plate to actually participate. I'm guessing it's somehow worded that if your car is lost, damaged or destroyed you will owe them money...............Bob

• Like 1

While I'm no lawyer, the final two paragraphs of the "Application" seem to be pretty clear:

"You have read, understand, and agree to be bound by all of the terms and conditions of this Release.

YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE GIVING UP CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS UNDER THIS APPLICATION, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, YOUR RIGHT TO FILE A LAWSUIT IN COURT WITH RESPECT TO ANY CLAIM ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH THIS APPLICATION."

I'm guessing (I'm no lawyer) that, for example, if your car was damaged or destroyed as a result of operations related to the production of this show, you'd be forced to accept mandatory arbitration at the hands of the arbitration company hired by the producers.  I can only guess at how that would work you for you:rolleyes:.

If I had a car worthy of a television show, I think that I'd pass on this opportunity to become "rich and famous".  I'm happy to remain "impecunious and obscure".

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, capngrog said:

"YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE GIVING UP... YOUR RIGHT TO FILE A LAWSUIT IN COURT... "

The framers of our Constitution understood that

the right to a jury trial was so fundamental that it is

enshrined in our founding documents.  Yet, to produce

their choreographed car program that they pretend

is "reality,"  the TV producers want  a person to give up

that constitutional right!  Maybe it will be a fine and

interesting show, but just try having THEM sign a 

contract that YOU present.

• Like 1

Here are some pieces of information they want

about YOU (not about the car):

"Date of Birth"

"What are three words that your best friend would use to describe you?"

"Please send us a 'home video' of yourself of no longer than 3 minutes;

be sure you are 'on camera' the whole time so we can see you talking."

Which of these two possibilities do you think they'd choose?

(1)  A 70-year-old retired dentist named George with an all-original 1932 Nash sedan.

He's calm and collected, and is an officer in his car-club region.

He has written articles for the club, and can discuss Nash history inside and out.

(2)  A voluptuous 20-year-old blonde girl named Bunny.  She likes tight shirts and shorts.

She has a crazy brother-in-law and her dad is an irascible old coot who

has a junkyard the city wants to close down.  By the way, she has a Mustang convertible.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Here are some pieces of information they want

about YOU (not about the car):

"Date of Birth"

"What are three words that your best friend would use to describe you?"

"Please send us a 'home video' of yourself of no longer than 3 minutes;

be sure you are 'on camera' the whole time so we can see you talking."

Which of these two possibilities do you think they'd choose?

(1)  A 70-year-old retired dentist named George with an all-original 1932 Nash sedan.

He's calm and collected, and is an officer in his car-club region.

He has written articles for the club, and can discuss Nash history inside and out.

(2)  A voluptuous 20-year-old blonde girl named Bunny.  She likes tight shirts and shorts.

She has a crazy brother-in-law and her dad is an irascible old coot who

has a junkyard the city wants to close down.  By the way, she has a Mustang convertible.

And tell me what all of you would watch. # 1 or 2.

• Like 2

I looked at the application link.

I figure HTML and XML classes started in September. Did someone miss the first couple of weeks. Even if they just changed the font from the default calibri, you know.

Head shakingly unprofessional. First question; is my concealed weapon permit valid in California while I watch the filming. Just checking the rules. Sometimes you get surprised.

Please, if anyone would like to send their 3 minute video or parody of a video to me, bernie@berniedaily.com. My Son is a video editor. He has been very resistant to having fun with this pseudo-reality stuff, but I might be able to coax him. If not I can put them on a Youtube account I have. We can beep, blur, and otherwise sanitize anything no matter how offensive.

Think about it.

Bernie

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/824459.html?1515265136

This was also on the Model T Ford Club forum recently,  Looks like they are really trying hard to pull some interesting stories together.  It'll be interesting to see what survives the editing process on these, but it sounds like an interesting concept for a show. 

"Hello! I am a casting producer in Los Angeles working on a new TV Series for The Discovery Channel. We are especially interested in finding someone with a Model T Ford who’s family has owned it since coming off the assembly line. ...Or finding someone who has as interesting a story to share about the history of their Model T!

Discovery channel is seeking car owners with antique, barn-finds, restored American muscle, rusted-out treasures, rare cars, etc for a new series on Discovery. In short, it's a bit like "Antiques Road Show" on PBS but just with cars.

Interested parties (if selected) would have an all-expense paid trip, plus safe insured shipping of their vehicle to Los Angeles to appear on the show, and be appraised by individuals that I believe even your members will find to be excellent choices for the appraisals. STORY IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN CONDITION!!!!

If you have something that's rusted out, needs work, etc but has been in your family for 4 generations...they'd love that. Anything from very old cars with one owner, never restored, re-discovered family vehicles, cars that have taken decades to restore, you name it!

Interested parties should apply here; https://untitleddiscoverycarseries.castingcrane.com/

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call or write.
Best,

Michael Warwick
Casting
310 993 5524

Well I got about 1/3 of the way through the T&C  & got to the point below and decided no way, no how, uh-uh.

" may be used in and in connection with the development, production, distribution and/or exploitation of the Program and/or any other production and in the advertisements, publicity and promotions for the Program, any other production, and for any entity that exhibits or otherwise exploits your Likeness, the Materials, the Program or other production throughout the universe at any time, in perpetuity, in any and all media, whether now known or hereafter devised, without any compensation whatsoever. "

" Releasees may use all or any part of your Likeness, and may alter or modify it regardless of whether or not you are recognizable, and all or any part of the Materials."

To put it simply, it is to laugh.

19 hours ago, padgett said:

Well I got about 1/3 of the way through the T&C  & got to the point below and decided no way, no how, uh-uh.

" may be used in and in connection with the development, production, distribution and/or exploitation of the Program and/or any other production and in the advertisements, publicity and promotions for the Program, any other production, and for any entity that exhibits or otherwise exploits your Likeness, the Materials, the Program or other production throughout the universe at any time, in perpetuity, in any and all media, whether now known or hereafter devised, without any compensation whatsoever. "

" Releasees may use all or any part of your Likeness, and may alter or modify it regardless of whether or not you are recognizable, and all or any part of the Materials."

To put it simply, it is to laugh.

In other words ....We will pay you peanuts to provide us in perpetuity with material that we can use in any form, manner or way. We may alter your wife's image to appear a fat shrew or you to appear a nit wit. You agree to relinquish any claims now or in the future for any and all compensation, slander, ill will or family fights generated by your naive exuberance. 

You further agree that if directed, for dramatic license, you agree to appear  foolish, stupid, sentimental, deplorable, uncaring, hostile,  aloof,  intelligent,  ignorant, a leader, a follower, a boozer, a bible thumper, a gun nut, a pacifist,  a global warming denier, a craftsman, an artist, a hack, a womanizer, a eunuch, a Confederate, a Yankee,  blind, crippled , crazy or any combination of the above. You further agree to refer to any past, present, or future family members with any, all, or a combination of the the above descriptors as scripted or directed.

You further waive any and all claims for medical or any other expenses resulting from family feuds, fights, altercations, or imbroglios resulting from the production whether scripted or not, either during production or at any other time, in perpetuity or until Hell freezes over.

Please send the signed release, in triplicate, to: Your Ass Is Ours In Perpetuity Productions LLC..........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a pretty neat idea for a show, in that it combines the story of the car (and along the way teaches the audience about automotive history) with what the car might be worth.   I'd watch it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

Sounds like a pretty neat idea for a show, in that it combines the story of the car (and along the way teaches the audience about automotive history) with what the car might be worth.   I'd watch it.

I think so too which is the only reason I’m going forward. Regardless if my father’s 57 is included, I look forward to seeing cars presented in this light.