Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Thanks, guys. I took it to a local cruise, the last of the season, with the new to it used coil. Still very much the same problem. It ran fine till I was nearly there, then it quit at a traffic light, but immediately restarted, then stalled again while parking, but restarted fine. On my way home, it quit in the middle of the road, and would not restart. I thought I was stuck, but it finally would settle down and run, then I made it home. I'm taking it to my mechanic friend tomorrow morning, though we are both suspecting the ignition switch. When it stalls, there is not "saving" it. Usually it will restart, or at least fire right away, but won't keep going, then eventually run fine. That means perfect, smooth, lots of its' usual power, no hesitation, etc., then it will die suddenly.

Keith

I hope you can sort it out Keith.  If you have some rubber gloves you might want to jiggle some of the wires under the hood while it's running, to see if something stands out as loose or broken.  I know there's not a lot of connectors under the hood but a friend had a similar situation with a newer GM car and it turned out to be the ignition wire connectors on the engine, which had deteriorated. 

• Like 1

My first parade, last night, Linden, MI, homecoming parade with the Grand Marshall! Picture by Denny Manner, whose grandson was driving in it too!

Then today, rode with Denny in his '72 GS Stage 1 about a 100 miles or so to go see our friend Joe Guzek and got to see Joe's Buicks too! Finally!

68 Linden Homecoming 2017.jpg

• Like 8

I took out the 73 GS 4 speed for the first time since it's restoration on Friday. Took it to the shop get her show tires and rims on, a few details and then loading it up and heading for it's first ever showing at Hershey this week! Sunday was out with the '75 Electra again for the Westport Ct. Concours d'Caffeine and Tour. Took our Grandson with us and we had a wonderful time. Put 107 more miles on it. 

IMG_8803.JPG

IMG_8808.JPG

IMG_8815.JPG

IMG_8904.JPG

IMG_8897.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8875.JPG

IMG_8876.JPG

IMG_8877.JPG

IMG_8878.JPG

IMG_8882.JPG

IMG_8883.JPG

IMG_8884.JPG

IMG_8885.JPG

IMG_8886.JPG

IMG_8887.JPG

IMG_8893.JPG

IMG_8894.JPG

IMG_8898.JPG

IMG_8818.JPG

IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8870.JPG

IMG_8840.JPG

IMG_8864.JPG

IMG_8830.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 8

On Saturday I took my 1968 Buick Riviera to the local Buick dealership, Flow Buick-GMC in Fayetteville North Carolina, to take some pictures in front of the building. 

Then I entered the car in the Super Chevy Show at the Rockingham Dragway, Hoffman, NC. We took home an "Outstanding in Class" award for the shows 'GM' (non-Chevrolet) class. 

20170929_093858.thumb.jpg.02f0af30f576b065a015a3867f11d2e2.jpg

IMG_20170930_173612_682.thumb.jpg.ca35d75cb3dd365a617f82c60e4c1eac.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

add a few for when I got everyone lost in the hills

Aaahhh, nothing wrong with taking a wrong turn and seeing some new terrain, mate! At least you all made it to where you were intending and back safe and sound! 

• Like 2

With the threat of rain, seems most of the regular crowd thought their cars might melt so stayed home. A few of us braved the threat and had the place pretty much to ourselves.

IMG_2280.thumb.JPG.ee58a7486835c33b7423c60eba8829aa.JPG

Not everyone was afraid as Jim and his wife drove the Velie (which is a regular here).

IMG_2279.thumb.JPG.a02851f132594b2fca62e90a9df7b38e.JPG

Joe and I decided to go into the Japanese Restaurant for supper and with the daylight getting shorter found the few that came out had gone home.

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.a4eb0579b70f2a5a486faa935d786196.JPG

• Like 4

Hi All,

Leaving on my 600 mile trip in my '36 to the Victorian Buick Clubs 50th anniversary event tomorrow morning at 4.00am. The first 400 mile leg is to the little town of Leeton in New South Wales where I will be meeting up with three 1920's Buick. I will try and post a few photos as I go.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Downtown for a brewery tour with 5 of us packed in...

Back when I was younger, the drive was the tour.  We used to get a pony keg, strap it in the middle of the back seat, and head off for the day's adventures.

Can't do that any more.  The back seats just aren't big enough.

• Haha 2

22221594_10156633954050830_8996187234858

Today was the first ever car show sponsored by the car club at the university. They called it 'Generations Collide'. It was pretty fun, although this trio showed up with 1930s trailer queen hot rods and just completely stole the show from others I felt were more deserving. When came time to leave, their cars barely ran.. it was quite interesting.

• Like 2

I went to the Hershey meet. Drove the "73 GS Stage 1 4 speed off the trailer to the show and back. Maybe 5 miles total. :-) The car won a First Junior Award. It was the first time out for the car since it's restoration. Lot's of beautiful Buicks at the show.

IMG_9137.JPG

IMG_9156.JPG

IMG_9059.JPG

IMG_9176.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 7

I finally have something to say on this thread again! I got working on the '69 Electra again this afternoon, ended up changing the condensor, after was done it fired immediately, not even a single crank, and ran well. But then it always ran well, until it didn't run at all. Rechecked dwell, timing, and an idle adjustment on the carb, and took it for a a few circuits around the block, we live in a very quite residential area, so if it were to let me down, I'm not in any kind of traffic. After supper, I took it for a longer drive, about 25 miles, along city streets and onto the highway for about 10+ miles of the trip, then home again. Ran perfect the whole trip.

Maybe it just was a bad condensor all the time? I have had them go bad on me from time to time, but never had the kind of erratic running I experienced before. Either running, or cut out, like the ignition was turned off.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving here, so hopefully I will have a chance to take it out again before we all dig into the turkey. I'm the dessert guy, and I have my part made today.

Keith

• Like 6

No pictures this time (imagine!) but had to run an errand after lunch Sunday and thought, use the Special.

Did not remember when I filled her up last so headed to the Gas station as the gas gauge isn't fixed yet. Still had the top up and left it up which creates a "few" blind spots but with this weekend being our Canadian Thanksgiving traffic was very light.

Decided to drive it home and leave it over night but checking the weather radar saw that we were expecting light rain late left over from the hurricane and heaven knows I didn't want it to melt! 

Might go and get her this afternoon and give her a proper bath as we had our family get together last night and today is free for a change.

To all my Canadian Buick members, HAPPY TURKEY DAY!

Doug

• Like 4

I fuelled, washed, and drove the Reatta out to the country place today. That was about the only uneventful part of the trip. Noticed a tire down on the truck and found a nail in it. Of course batteries are dead. Garage was broken into and I noted the chainsaw is missing.  We had wanted to rearrange things a bit but couldn't get air in all the tires. The Wildcat fired up and ran well though. 

Sigh. 

Of of course I managed to post this in the wrong thread first. Sigh. 

IMG_3285.JPG

• Like 5

That's really too bad about the break-in! 

County or City, most thefts are someone who is close by the property or has been watching what goes on at your place. I'll bet you have an ear out for anyone using a chain saw for awhile.

The Reatta looks beautiful! Finding your place like that sure takes the fun out of the day though...