Value of antique tractor? 1948 Ford 8N

It's not a car, but I'm helping a friend:

What is the approximate value of a

1948 Ford 8N farm tractor, totally restored?

I know pictures are often requested when

people seek values of cars, but she has

none available, and I'm helping by long distance.

A farmer friend is coming over later today

to see it, and she wants to know what she

should ask.  She would like it to go to him--

to a good home.  Thanks!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

To reduce any stress on your friend’s part tell her to ask the gent what he is willing to pay for it.  Then you could make another post here with the $$$ amount of his offer.  Due to the vagueness on this forum the offer amount could at least be a guideline.

Can anyone tell me how to search Ebay

for a tractor?  Ebay Motors doesn't have

"tractors" as a category, nor anything like

farm equipment.  And when I search there

with the terms "1948 Ford 8N Tractor,"

I get all sorts of miscellaneous tractor parts.

I have a ‘53 Ford tractor I paid $4,500 for about four years ago. Tractors are like cars in that condition plays heavily into value. My observation is that a “restored” tractor is really not done in the same way as a car. The guy who restored my NAA completely rebuilt all the mechanicals, including the engine, and replaced a fair amount of parts with new. But, when he repainted it, he left the metal untouched.  He felt that dents are like patina and painted over them. From the other tractors I see for sale, I don’t think this is uncommon.

If the lady’s tractor is restored to AACA standards, it could be worth more than the BaT listing.  Likely, it isn’t and is more in the $5,000 neighborhood. Was it used as a tractor after the restoration? Or just a showpiece?

PS: I know the mower is angled the wrong way, I had not adjusted it yet before use.

IMG_1589.jpeg.fe19e74f785fa09607b11b7e7589f12f.jpeg

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Can anyone tell me how to search Ebay

for a tractor?  Ebay Motors doesn't have

"tractors" as a category, nor anything like

farm equipment.  And when I search there

with the terms "1948 Ford 8N Tractor,"

I get all sorts of miscellaneous tractor parts.

Try this for sold

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ford+tractor+&_sacat=91953&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&Drive=2WD&_dcat=91953

and this for current listing

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ford+tractor+&_sacat=91953&Drive=2WD&_dcat=91953&rt=nc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

To reduce any stress on your friend’s part tell her to ask the gent what he is willing to pay for it.  Then you could make another post here with the $$$ amount of his offer.  Due to the vagueness on this forum the offer amount could at least be a guideline.

You are quite welcome, Mr. Sayler…😃

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

It was only driven in local parades and taken to

a couple of noteworthy commemorative events.

After restoration, it was not used as a tractor.

That makes it tougher to offer an opinion. It might be the nicest 8N on the planet for all we know. Somebody needs to assess the condition and advise her based on that. Where does she live? There are a few auction houses that specialize in this category. Here’s a Ford auction from one I’m familiar with: https://bids.aumannauctions.com/auctions/38762-erik-myers-classic-and-antique-ford-tractor-auction?pageSize=100

Mecum runs a couple of major tractor auctions each year in which the majority of the lots are "show tractors."

Looking there would give you some sense (albeit at auction) of what restored tractors are going for. There are a lot of 8Ns that go through there. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Axial_Flow said:

Check this out:

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/for-sale/ford/8n/tractors/1100

8Ns are pretty much a 'dime a dozen', they are sorta the Ford Model T/A of the tractor world.  Lots of them out there and huge aftermarket support.

This. I would think the nicest of 8n's could be had for $5k or under. I live in a farm community and there is a local tractor/car show every year I attend. Theres one fellow that has 6 or 7 that he shows. In my area of MD they are plentiful. I have fond memories of playing on my grandfathers that was parked in a field next to our house.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Check out "www.machinerypete.com".  There are a lot of 8n Fords posted for sale there.  He also works as a farm machinery evaluator and may have a valuation tool available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is enough information for now.

I appreciate the help.

Incidentally, for an automotive tie-in, the

Hagerty family (who have the antique-car

insurance agency) are her neighbors down

the road in northern Michigan.  It's an attractive

part of the state, near Traverse City,  with a lot

of summertime tourism.

And the farmer friend will be looking at the

tractor today.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

There's a whole lot of variation in what what "totally restored" means. 

Anywhere from a case of krylon, some decals, and new tires to rebuilt engine, all new seals and bearings, you guys know what I mean. It's pretty hard to put a value on it without inspecting it.

I used to transport all types

of tractors - hit & miss engines

and implements when I pulled

an open trailer - then when

I started pulling an enclosed trailer

I still transported a few  ….

IMG_1921.jpeg.749eb5d50352afd141baa5c0473a069d.jpeg

My website antique tractor

transport page @ https://www.trulyvintagetrailers.citymax.com/Antique_Tractor_Transport.html

IMG_1920.jpeg.c6be6421f018eca71cd506179d70a513.jpeg

I learned original unrestored 

equipment was the hardest 

to find and the most coveted

and sought after by collectors.

A local sale will bring the

best market value - Ford 8N

tractors are plentiful and

generally not restored.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I am from an old orchard family in Washington State. Ford 8N and Massey Ferguson 30's were the king of farming here. We bought a farm working MF 30 with a bunch of implements a few years ago for $1500.  It was a working tractor and still is. Now for your friends tractor the main thing you said is that "She would like the farmer to get the machine to give it a good home". If the farmer is a fair guy and not a schmuck she should be able to simply have a talk with him and come to a price that makes both happy AND gives the tractor a good home. Value on old farm equipment is like dust in the wind. It ALL depends on the buyer and their intentions.

• Like 4

I agree they are pretty plentiful. I’d bet I could buy a half-dozen of them near home in a single day for $500 each. But I’d first want to be sure my tetanus shots are current. A set of new tires is worth more than the entire old/used unit. One that has been completely refurbished is an entirely different proposition.

• Like 2

I just put $700 worth of new rims on my working 1949 8N.  Almost hate to see restored ones at shows instead of still working.  A few years back I would go to this one tractor pull and other brand antique tractors were out pulling or in the show and an 8N was used to keep the pulling track smooth and work on the grounds.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Jim Bollman said:

I just put $700 worth of new rims on my working 1949 8N.  Almost hate to see restored ones at shows instead of still working.  A few years back I would go to this one tractor pull and other brand antique tractors were out pulling or in the show and an 8N was used to keep the pulling track smooth and work on the grounds.

They,re best for that type work. BTW. Around here we use wind shield washer fluid in the rear tires. Not as heavy as calcium chloride but it,s non corrosive....bob

14 hours ago, Jim Bollman said:

Thus is the problem. New tires and rims far outweighs the market value of the faithful old Ford tractor around these parts. Like the vintage cars we love, even the restored ones won't bring back the investment of restoration. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

They,re best for that type work. BTW. Around here we use wind shield washer fluid in the rear tires. Not as heavy as calcium chloride but it,s non corrosive....bob

It had Calcium in when I got it 40+ years ago and I drained it about 10 years ago when we moved and should have had the rims cleaned up and put in new tubes but didn't.  When I had it refilled They used glycol which they pumped out and put new tubes and rims on and put it back in.  Should out live me now and probably the next owner.

• Like 1

I charge the battery before winter along with cleaning the points. Sometimes removing the ants too... 😉 They found the little weep hole just to their liking.

I bought it in 2001 for $2500 because it was just down the block, I could drive it home. And I had no idea what the value should be, but I needed to work on my driveway.👍

Still 6 volts, three brush generator.👍And the only one I have ever seen with skinny wheels\tires in front. 

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_4390.JPG

Edit, it is an early 8N, 1947 by serial number. No proof meter, etc.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The one thing mine had that i have not seen on any other tractor was a high/low range in the transmission. I have no idea whether it was a factory option or aftermarket. If you look at the picture you can see a lever on the left side just behind the starter that would shift it. The low range was the normal gearing for the tractor, not sure what the high would have been for other than a road gear. Third gear high would really scoot, blow your hair back!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

@Frank DuVal, That little 8N looks just like our Massey Ferguson 30's of the 50's. Ours have the same tires that yours have. I have seen a lot like this, but I am in orchard farming land. I think the narrow tires may be more typical of orchard/vineyard farming and the wider ones more dry land. Just a guess.

Yes, very similar, I had a nice 30 for awhile. Only problem was it didn't have an  over running clutch. When mowing with a rotary mower when you put the clutch in the mower would still drive the tractor forward for about 10 to 15 feet. 

I seem to remember that Ford bought or stole the 3 point hydraulic system from Ferguson...........Bob

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewOldWood said:

The one thing mine had that i have not seen on any other tractor was a high/low range in the transmission. I have no idea whether it was a factory option or aftermarket. If you look at the picture you can see a lever on the left side just behind the starter that would shift it. The low range was the normal gearing for the tractor, not sure what the high would have been for other than a road gear. Third gear high would really scoot, blow your hair back!!

I think it was an aftermarket add on. I remember my grandpa talking about having it added on his. Of course that was 55 years ago so not sure either...

13 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Yes, very similar, I had a nice 30 for awhile. Only problem was it didn't have an  over running clutch. When mowing with a rotary mower when you put the clutch in the mower would still drive the tractor forward for about 10 to 15 feet. 

I seem to remember that Ford bought or stole the 3 point hydraulic system from Ferguson...........Bob

Yep, That single stage clutch could be a killer when mowing. When I was young my dad would not let me mow with the 30's for just that reason. He had gotten run into a tree limb that bent the steering wheel because of that. He never replaced that steering wheel so it would be a reminder to be very aware of the clutch issue.  Our later 235's had dual stage clutches that wold disengage the PTO when you pushed the clutch all the way down.

And you are correct about the three point hydraulic lift being a Massey invention.

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ford and Ferguson worked together on the Ford 2N and 9N and then had a falling out.  Ford made enough changes to get around patents and came out with the 8N and Ferguson made his own tractor that looked a lot like the 9N called I believe the 20.  As time went along the looks grew further apart. I believe there were some lawsuits and money changing hands after the split.  I think the extra gears in both tractors were add ons by Sherman that could be gotten as under drive or over drive or both.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jim Bollman said:

Ford and Ferguson worked together on the Ford 2N and 9N and then had a falling out.  Ford made enough changes to get around patents and came out with the 8N and Ferguson made his own tractor that looked a lot like the 9N called I believe the 20.  As time went along the looks grew further apart. I believe there were some lawsuits and money changing hands after the split.  I think the extra gears in both tractors were add ons by Sherman that could be gotten as under drive or over drive or both.

Yes TO-20 Massy Ferguson here. TE-20 across the pond. Yes. The Sherman transmission was the most popular one. Funk was another company that made conversions for the old Ford tractors including a kit to put a flat head Ford V8 in one.

• Like 3