Have you owned the same car more than once?

I picked up a 2007 Chrysler 300 yesterday. Fourth different one over the years. All the Same color "cool vanilla. Two I bought new. One car I have bought twice was a 1972 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible, Yellow with a black top and interior. I had it restored drove it a while and sold it. I found it many years later after it was abused and neglected. I bought it again to bring it back to glory but ended up selling it again. Was wondering how many folks have owned the same car more than once.

• Like 1

Would this count?

I bought a 1962 Plymouth ($35) and a 1966 Comet ($150), these two cars came back. I sold the Plymouth twice for $75 and the Comet three times for $150, $100, $75.

They were found on the road by the Police still in my name with the titles in the glove compartment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was a green 1968 Volvo 144 sedan that came back 3 or 4 times. I don't remember the circumstances but I kept selling it and getting it back. Then there was a 1984 Renault LeCar that I bought when it was 4 years old, and bought back 3 or 4 years later. Those are the only ones I recall.

This '70 Plymouth wagon - bought, then traded for body work on another car.  Body man did the work on the wagon while he had it then turned his interest to another car and wanted the money out the wagon and back it came....

image.jpeg.94d0b25f9c954ffcbd79f8572887ea25.jpeg

Next time it's sold it will be with a no return policy!  Don't get me wrong, I like the car but at this point I like space even better!

• Like 2

Yeah kind of, my first car, a white with black vinyl top 1969 mercury cougar. Sold it to a couple of guys doing construction in the Colorado mountains. Don't remember the time frame from when I sold it and got it back but they had run it off the road over a tree stump and left it. Found out they never registered it in their name so the state patrol had it towed to the local impound yard.

Contacted me and I went and got it and ended up stripping it and had the remains towed away for scrap 

• Like 1

Yes. My wife's 2006 Mercury Mountaineer. Traded in for a 2023 Traverse.  My wife was visible upset she traded in her Mercury she had so many memories in.  Three weeks after it was traded in I found it on a used car lot.  I traded in my KIA for it and paid the difference.  The Mercury I delivered back to my wife. She was thrilled. I get to drive the new Traverse. It was a win win for me. 

FB_IMG_1713912062796.jpg

FB_IMG_1713912080221.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Owned the same ugly 1941 Ford Tudor twice, 9 years apart.   The guy I sold it to was going to restore it,

but 9 years later, I bought it back for half price.   Not the first or last old car mistake I'll ever make.   

Tommy is now AARP age.   The car ran well, but was UGLY!41Ford.jpg.ed809d5e91d67102ba01f65e99a5d820.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's a remarkable case--not mine, but one of our late

region members', which I included in a past newsletter.

He got the car back after more than 90 years!

His grandfather owned a general store in McConnellsburg, Pa.

In 1906, on a buying trip to Philadelphia for his store, he purchased

a 1906 Cadillac for $979 at a Cadillac-Peerless dealership,

the Automobile Sales Corporation, on North Broad Street.

He shipped the car home, mostly by rail, and replaced his horse

Old Nell with the latest in 25-mile-per-hour mechanized transportation.

In 1914, he traded the ’06 Cadillac for a new Franklin car, and the

Cadillac was used for a while to power machinery at a local sawmill.

Eventually, though compromised and unrestored, it ended up in the

growing accumulation of pioneer car collector Emmert Swigart. 

The car sat unseen in a Swigart storage building for many decades.

It wasn't until 2007 that our member Harry Johnston was able to

return the 1906 Cadillac to the family.  When the Swigart Museum

auctioned off some surplus cars that year, he reacquired the Cadillac.

"I wasn't going home without it," he said determinedly.  Then he had

it restored.  Here is an old picture and a modern one.  The headlights

(optional) hadn't yet been reinstalled in the newer picture:

1906 Cadillac in front of general store.jpg

1906 Cadillac at Swigart meet Aug 8 2009.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

In 1906, on a buying trip to Philadelphia for his store, he purchased

a 1906 Cadillac for $979 at a Cadillac-Peerless dealership,

the Automobile Sales Corporation, on North Broad Street.

And just as remarkably, the family had saved a lot of 

memorabilia for 90 years from that very car--the original

license plate, some Penna. registration cards, even the

original salesman's business card!

1912 Penna license plate 2.JPG

1906 Cadillac--1910 registration card.jpg

1906 Cadillac salesmans card.jpg

1906 Cadillac rear with license plate.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Friend of mine, an antique car dealer, was approached by a fellow wanting to sell a mid 1950,s Cadillac.  My friend bought the car.  Some months later the seller regretted selling the car and asked about buying it back. My friend said "Sure, as long as you let me make a small profit" and the deal was consummated.  The buyer proceeded to dismantle the car for "restoration" but lost interest after a few years and sold it to my friend a second time.  He sent it to us for reassembly and paint. The car looked great.

Now the seller saw it and fell in love again and bought the car back for substantially more than he originally sold it for.  My friend bought the car twice and sold it twice, always to the same fellow.

• Haha 4

My '52 Chevrolet truck, Sam, I actually bought three times.  Tried for over 20 years to buy it, finally succeeded. A couple of years later, with the '46 and a new daughter, I didn't have funds to restore, or time, so I traded him for a very clean '64 Rambler American wagon. (That got traded, one of the worst trades of my life, sight unseen for a '55 Plymouth. I was a man of my word, but when the Plymouth arrived, I deeply regretted it. But that's another story).

A year or so later, my close friend was looking for an old truck and Sam came available from the guy I'd sold it to. I bought it immediately, and called my friend Jeremy to explain that if he didn't buy Sam from me for the price I'd just paid, Sam would become a motel because the wife would surely make me sleep in it. He bought Sam. Several years later, after my seller's remorse over having lost my truck twice, My friend called and offered to sell me Sam, with the condition that if I sell it, he gets dibs. I couldn't  drive the 2 hours to his house fast enough. Now Sam's at home for the LAST time, and the next time he goes to ANYONE- even Jeremy- I will be gone from this life.🤣 Sam's my dirt road de-stress buddy and I plan for it to remain that way...

20240408_191415.jpg.136f1ae6c4e7d9e212d9daa23304823e.jpg

Same model of cars- well, I've owned four different C4 Corvettes- and wouldn't throw stones at another if the right one came along. Hey, I like what I like.😂

Edited by Roscoe (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1937 Studebaker President rumble seat coupe.  Studebaker made 133 of these .

I have bought and sold this car twice.  I loved buying it each time and regretted selling it each time.  The first time I bought it was in 1985.  I was living and working in Virginia and the company I was working for transferred me to Louisiana.  I just had too many antiques.  I kept the ‘63 Avanti and the ‘58 Porsche and the ‘38 Oldsmobile and sold the ‘37 Studebaker and immediately knew I made a mistake.  I kept track of it and was able to buy it back in 1994 or 1995.  During that ownership I did a complete, bare frame, restoration.  I took it to the 2015 Studebaker International meet in St Louis and foolishly allowed myself to be talked out of it.

I know where it is and have told the current owner that I might be interested if he ever decides to part with it, but I’ve been downsizing recently, so I know that that is probably just not gonna happen.

Sure shouldn’t have sold it that second time.

Tom

F550CABF-E0D7-4D77-9FAE-22655FC7F590.jpeg

6FEF3993-0529-4F3A-A75A-B2AB14FEBEAD.jpeg

• Like 1

Not sure I feel like sharing this one or not. Most of the collector cars I have sold were because I needed to for family reasons. There have been way too many of them over too many years, way too many I regret having sold. I scrimped and saved, bought sold and restored my way up again and again. One car, I did buy, restore, sell and later bought again.

The 1925 Studebaker coach, a longtime good friend had bought, and began a restoration of the solid original car which was not quite good enough to preserve as truly original. About halfway through the restoration, he found another car he really wanted to have. He and his wife talked it over and decided if he could quickly sell the Studebaker coach they could make the deal on the other car. As I happened to be close at hand, and knowing his reputation for doing things right, I quickly agreed to buy the Studebaker in its half-done state.

I then sold the 1929 Reo I had had since high school to pay for professional paint job just as he had been planning to do, and finished the body and fender repairs and preparation myself. He had already done the nickel plating and new whitewall tires, I discovered that one rear wheel was damaged, and had a professional wheelwright re-wood it. I finished some mechanical repairs and interior repairs. 

When done, I drove the car on a lot of local tours, including a few of a couple hundred miles. When my then girlfriend and I got married, we used the Studebaker as our getaway car from the reception.

About a year later, an unexpected hospitalization hit us with a significant bill. Doing what I knew was the right thing, I sold the Studebaker to a good friend in order to pay that and a few other unexpected expenses. And so it began.

I had bought the Studebaker in the early 1970s, sold it about 1979. Always regretted having sold it. But about fifteen years later, things were better, I had had a couple other nice antique automobiles which I was driving and enjoying, but heard my old Studebaker coach was coming up for sale soon. It had been owned and enjoyed by a couple different owners, and the price was reasonable. So, I managed to buy it back! 

Sadly, it didn't last long. Another unexpected medical issue hit us and again, the Studebaker coach was sold. Unfortunately, it wasn't the only one destined to go away for the good of the family. But it is the one that I did have to sell twice.

Shortly after I had bought it back.

scan0007 (2).jpg

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ozstatman…Yes, those wheel covers are an extra-cost option for ‘36 and ‘37 Presidents.  Unlike the smaller hubcaps that have a brass skin over a steel base, these are stamped, chromed steel with the word “President” . These wheel covers are getting hard to come by.

Tom

I owned a 1990 Chevy Cavalier wagon twice.  I bought it cheap and very used, with 177,000 miles on it.  It ran well and was very reliable.  I used it to commute from Long Island to Queens.  I sold it to John348 and he used it for a while.  When he didn't need it any more I bought it back from him.  Less than $1000 changed hands both times.  I kept it for a few months and then sold it again.  I can't remember exactly why I sold it to John and then bought it back, but it was a good car.  By the time I sold it the second time, it had over 200,000 miles on it and was still reliable.  One year I drove it to Hershey (208 miles door to door) loaded to the gills with parts and literature to sell at the flea market.  It made the trip there and back flawlessly.  Fortunately I sold most of the parts and literature so the car was a lot lighter going home.

Cavaliers have a bad reputation which I think is undeserved.  I owned three and they were mostly reliable.  Besides the above-mentioned wagon, I owned a 1990 Cavalier four-door sedan and a 1991 wagon.  My wife and I both commuted with the sedan and I used the 1991 wagon as a station car for a year or two.  The only trouble those cars gave me was when the sedan blew the head gasket on the way home from work one day.  I was only a couple of miles from home and was able to nurse it into the driveway.  Once it was repaired we got a lot more use out of it.  I also sold the sedan to John348 and his son drove it through four years of college.  The 1991 wagon was a decent car also.  I sold it when I needed a larger vehicle.  

With the rear seats folded down, those wagons could hold a lot of cargo.

Yes I've bought a few cars back after I sold them the 1st time. Not a smart move for me. The only one I bought 3 times and still regret letting it go was my 1970 Torino Cobra 429 SCJ. Sold it to a buddy of mine right after buying it 1st time because I was tight for money, bought it back and it proceeded to try and bankrupt me keeping it on the road. Between parts, tires and gas and my crummy paying job I ended up selling it 2nd time to my brother. Bought it back 2 yrs later. By then it needed engine work (again) and starting to rust. This was in 1978-9. Sold it to a Ford guy who had Ford Factory Racing sponsorship but was semi retired  by then. He kept the car in his collection until he passed away. His son still has it but the years and poor storage have not been kind. I will not go look at it as the temptation may be too great. This image is what it looked like back then minus the wheels. I have no photo's of it as mine were all lost yrs ago in a move

TWICE BITTEN: AL STUCK LANDS DREAM CAR OF HIS YOUTH, A '70 ...

• Like 1