Hub Caps / Rallys... Red lines / white lines ?

The Red Lines on my original '69 Impala need to be replaced soon and the Rallys were on the vehicle when I purchase it in 2004. I've been looking at the optional hub caps for 15" wheels for model year 1968 and 1969 and I purchase a decent set off of Ebay. So I'm looking for opinions, if I go with the hub caps, do I switch to a white wall or keep the red lines or go with black walls ? First picture is current status, but I'll attach some vintage advertisements from 1969. As a side note, the hub caps attach really easy, just remove the trim ring and derby cap.

image.png.ac53515a5710c00cec7944413ecc7d91.png

image.png.99da4a4ca23170d9cf86b28eab8ae537.png

image.png.0ca64a36123f942f32f9abadcd21b5dc.png

image.png.679c4bb87ebae245ad670b8acde30916.png

image.png.38607d81500808a3442569d36f7bd178.png

I know the red line tires are original to the car, but to my eye the color combination does not fit. I like white walls, but for a car from this era and color, I like black walls. Just my opinion, though. Good luck with your decision 

• Like 1

What you've found are the "one step up" wheelcovers. Saw those mostly on Caprice and wagons in this area.

Here are two 69 Chevrolet wheel treatments I've always loved but not sure they came 15". Plus there are a bunch of differences year to year and model to model on the simulated mag covers.

images-1.jpeg

large-nos-2306.jpg

I think the redlines look fine. Single or double pinstripe whitewall would be my next choice. Blackwalls on a higher-line car like a Custom Coupe don't cut it for me.

But I think everyone on the Forums knows I'm a wheelcover nerd!🤓 Especially for factory optional upgrade wheels and wheelcovers!

Don't you dare put hubcaps on it! Ralleys & redlines for sure.

ONLY go with hubcaps if you want it to look like an old man/grandpa car.

Next thing you know, you'll be wantin' to put skirts on it, curb feelers, fog lights, and all kinds of other assorted detrimental crappy doodads.

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

ONLY go with hubcaps if you want it to look like an old man/grandpa car.

It's funny that you mention that George....when I purchased the car 20 years ago, my friends that were driving '69 BB Camaros said the same thing, " why did you buy a grandpa car" lol...now that they are in their seventies, they like it now !

• Like 1

In my opinion the rally wheels look equally good with red line or whitewall. 

If you have the standard hub cap.....no red line only whitewall.

Not a fan of blackwalls on a vehicle unless it has alloy wheels. 

• Like 4

If it was a Biscayne sedan, maybe black walls, but I’d bet few if any Impalas came with black walls.  If in doubt, go with how it was ordered, alternatively, look at how they are depicted in the brochure or street scenes from when those cars were new.  

• Like 1

I like a car that has components that flow together without one aspect drawing your eye.

In the picture above my eye is immediately drawn to the wheels and tires. The car is the subject but the wheels and tires call out to say they are different and distract from the whole topic, a 1968 Impala.

When the car was new a salesman would have looked at an order and asked "Does this guy really want Camaro wheels on an Impala?"

An astute appraiser might make a note: 1969 Impala, missing wheels, if they were looking at it as a collectible vintage car. Even worse, a buyer might ask "Do you have the right wheels?".

I have one car that I recently bought with non-original wheels. It came that way and they are quite innocuous. I like that. I am still working on my career paint job for the '64 Riviera. It has proper '64 wire wheel covers but its first public appearance may show wheel covers from a completely different source. And like you, I do it willingly.

• Like 1

That style of Chevrolet rally wheel with the "derby" centercap was a factory option for 67-70 full-size Chevrolets and are truthfully the only cars I can tolerate them on!😄 They really set off a Caprice or Impala Sport Sedan nicely. As much of a wheel guy as I am, other than those cars they don't do anything for me.

Ya gotta remember I live in a part of the world where people put Chevy rallys on everything, Chevrolet or not, and preach the gospel of the Chevy rally louder than a Baptist preacher who's "done got in the spirit".

I think the word is "overexposed".

• Like 1

I think the combo of rally wheels and redline tires look wonderful on your car Steve.  The 327 badges hint to performance as most Chevy guys know that engine can get up and go.  The rally wheels and redline tires give your car a look that says sporty performance is part of its makeup.  Changing to the standard hubcaps with whitewall tires will take the presentation in the opposite direction to something along the lines more formal and subdued.  I like the performance look over formal.  Great looking car regardless of the choice you make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TerryB said:

I think the combo of rally wheels and redline tires look wonderful on your car Steve.  The 327 badges hint to performance as most Chevy guys know that engine can get up and go.  The rally wheels and redline tires give your car a look that says sporty performance is part of its makeup.  Changing to the standard hubcaps with whitewall tires will take the presentation in the opposite direction to something along the lines more formal and subdued.  I like the performance look over formal.  Great looking car regardless of the choice you make.

Funny about your description, I was just thinking the while walls and caps to me say suit and tie, the redlines and ralleyes say jeans and a t-shirt - I prefer the latter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 7th Son said:

Everybody's wrong!

Take the wheel covers  to the swap meet.

Go with Raised White Letter tires.      👌

Raised White Letters | Team Camaro TechRaised White Letter Tires for Muscle ...Classic Car Tires1970 Ford Mustang Mach I ...

image.jpeg.da8b5be5494d0471d9edae79aff020cb.jpegCoker Tire Company - GOOD NEWS! We're ...

Yep. Those were the days. Had to be there.

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

The 327 badges hint to performance as most Chevy guys know that engine can get up and go.

Steve, for some reason I thought your car was a 427 car? Chevrolet did put 427s in non-SS full-size cars. The 327 in its final year wasn't the fire-breather in 69 that it was in prior years. All 9:1 2-barrels and I don't remember ever seeing one without a Powerglide behind it.

They also put 396 in the full-size 69 Chevrolet- with a 2-barrel carb!🤪 which made less than no sense to me. Olds and Pontiac put 2-barrels on their big-inch engines too.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Steve, for some reason I thought your car was a 427 car?

Glenn, I have two '69 Impalas..... 327 which is picture above and I'm restoring a 427 SS Impala - both Frost Green cars

image.png.16837312527e585ad1cb333db2542523.png

Edited by STEVE POLLARD (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

The 327 in its final year wasn't the fire-breather in 69 that it was in prior years. All 9:1 2-barrels and I don't remember ever seeing one without a Powerglide behind it.

This one has the 327/235HP with the 2-barrel, it has the turbo350 trans........ my SS has the 427/390HP with the 4-barrel, turbo400 trans... I can't wait to get the 427 on the road !

Steve

Steve, The Rally's with the red line look nice, but the white letters are nice too. Since my Vette will need tires I thought of going black wall, but may stay with white letter. The Rally wheel is a classic wheel where pretty much any type of tire looks nice on them. True classic style. I will have to see what you choose.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Since my Vette will need tires I thought of going black wall, but may stay with white letter.

Yeah, for that year Vette, the vintage white letter would look great..... that's what I did for my Monte Carlo SS, white letter - plus, that's how it came from the factory as well.

Steve, I think you nailed it with the rally wheels & redlines.  If you opt for the wheel covers, I suggest the thin whitewalls.  Another option might be these:

Set 4) 1968 - 1974 Turbine 14" Hubcaps Wheel Covers Chevrolet Corvette ...

• Like 3

Steve, first your car looks great as is. BUT, since you need new tires and the hubcaps fit on your existing wheels (which is something new to me. I would have never guessed?) go with a thin white line or whitewall of '69. Most likely that is how it was settup new. I mean this with the utmost of respect but to me that car is a 'grandma' car. Nothing wrong with that but I see so many cars at shows and cars n coffees that are big sedans hot rodded out with 'mag' wheels that to me just dont look right. I remember when these cars were new (although I was very young) and they were owned by the adults in my community. Guys that wanted hot rods had mustangs and camaros.

• Haha 1

The best thing about wheels and tires is that they can be easily changed.  Since you already have the rally wheels and tires I'd source a set of stock rims to go with the wheel covers and mount a set of thin whitewall tires on them.  Then you're free to swap back-and-forth depending upon the show (i.e., points vs. cruise-in) and your mood.  The rally wheels and redlines can always be used on the SS...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Nothing wrong with that but I see so many cars at shows and cars n coffees that are big sedans hot rodded out with 'mag' wheels

That is the kind of thing you do to show your individualist style. All the individualists  do that.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

Steve, I think you nailed it with the rally wheels & redlines.  If you opt for the wheel covers, I suggest the thin whitewalls.  Another option might be these:

I found 2 sets of these Thursday at the Charlotte Auto Fair.  I almost bought a set for my '71 Impala.  The $100.00 set had 1 badly damaged one and the $125.00 set had 2 missing the center flags.  I really didn't want to have to buy 2 sets just to make one good set, but they were tempting.  

Tim

Edited by 76 Caddy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have always liked the Chevy Rally wheel because, to me, it is one of the best looking factory wheels produced during that time.

Not that they belong on absolutely everything but I can see why so many people put them on just about anything that rolls.

I would stay with the Rally wheels but maybe do a thin white wall this time around.

Not that the redlines don't look good, the thin whites would just be more correct, if you care about such things.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I mean this with the utmost of respect but to me that car is a 'grandma' car. Nothing wrong with that but I see so many cars at shows and cars n coffees that are big sedans hot rodded out with 'mag' wheels that to me just dont look right.

LOL....my buddies said the same thing when I purchase it years ago....5000 miles, all original and the cost of it, I could not resist it, plus my Dad had one as well, lost him a few years earlier, so it was sentimental .....for my SS Impala, I've already have the 15" steel rims with NOS poverty caps, will paint the rims the body color and probably put black walls on that ( that will look perfect for that car ! )

Steve

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This 67 Buick is down in the "not mine- for sale" forum.

67BuickLeSabreIAb.jpg.198a61c7a5fdd5d28538157e7013e4d0.jpg

Those 69 big Chevy caps sure look like the same cap with a different center plastic.

image.png.38607d81500808a3442569d36f7bd178.png

Not that the General would ever go raiding another Division's parts bin...🤗

On 4/8/2024 at 7:05 AM, EmTee said:

Love the turbine style hub cap.  I bought a set for my 72 Chevelle Malibu, they come in 14" and 15".  Only drawback is they weigh over 7lb's each.

• Like 1

Listed as 1967.

Makes sense as most full-size Chevrolets were on 14" wheels thruout the 60s, and if another Division had a 15" cap that could be easily adapted for the limited Chevrolet 15" market, why not? Change the plastic center piece and wa-la!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204710220929?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=204710220929&targetid=1645685075248&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1027096&poi=&campaignid=20398193995&mkgroupid=150311025254&rlsatarget=pla-1645685075248&abcId=9317236&merchantid=6296724&gad_source=1

• Like 1

While it's not a SS or a High Performance car, whitewalls are correct.   Looks like the 1968 Impala Custom Coupe that I had with whitewalls in 1973,  (Same color)

On 4/7/2024 at 4:18 PM, TerryB said:

Exactly what you say TerryB,  and my own two bits. Rally and Blackwall's 1st. 2nd with redlines. Rally wheels suggest a car guy. When no special wheels were produced for cars of the 50's from car manufacturers the marketing/accessory development guys started producing wire wheel covers or like in 53 when Oldsmobile started producing tri-bar spinners. These cars suggested a youthful image and they were the rage of their time and by 58-59 everyone had them. Then in August 1959 Pontiac, with DeLoreans new patented eight lug wheel/drum the era of specialty wheels/mag wheels came of age. As with cars as well as wheels for cars, Pontiac's General manager (1956-Late-1961) once said   "You can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man."

If you put the wheel covers or the full wheel covers with any tire treatment, W/Wall with period correct width would be best suited, it seems to me you will have an old man's car. That old man could like his car and like it to be nice and shiny and well cared for because he by nature likes to take care of things but he's really not a car guy IMO.

As my old friend who was once in charge of Pontiac advertising account (1959-1969) who said many times " the first things a young car guy does is want to personify his car" and what better way to start than to add some factory youthful wheels.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/7/2024 at 10:56 AM, STEVE POLLARD said:

The Red Lines on my original '69 Impala need to be replaced soon and the Rallys were on the vehicle when I purchase it in 2004

Just a follow up on this thread from a few months ago, I decided on the Firestone Redlines, I'll have them on the car before Hershey.

Thanks for all the input !

Steve

image.png.97c43d99deadc77f6b7db4b43a48b09e.png

• Like 6