Info to parts reproducer, payback?

ia-k

Wondering if any of the forum members have supplied information, measurements, or actual parts to a parts reproducer so they can make reproductions of that part? Was there any payment (i.e. the new part was free to you) for the work you did?

I ask because late last year I inquired to a suppler about a part I needed (non-automotive) as they supplied similar restoration parts. At that time they did not make that particular part but would be interested in reproducing it if they could get the information they needed. I offered to try and furnish the information they needed if they would be willing to reproduce it and they agreed. I spent a fair amount of time taking exact measurements, photos, and a template of my original that was complete but in poor condition. They thanked me for the information and said they would let me know when it was available if they decided to go forward with the item.

I received a email last week informing me that the new part was available and they sent me a link. The cost to me was $35.00, the list price that every customer pays. In the back of my mind I was a little "hurt", I assumed (you know what happens when you assume) that for the work I did for them for free, and considering the part doesn't cost hundreds of dollars, I would get it for free or at a substantial discount.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Other people's experiences?

• Like 1

Back in 2002 when I used one of my modern cars as a test fit mule for a custom body part, I was given a free part for my time and for allowing my car to sit in their shop for a few days.

But your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the replies.

Lesson learned. If this happens again I will ask about what I would get in return for providing the information.

I just need to be thankful that the part I need is now available.

• Like 2

It would have been a nice gesture on the suppliers part to have given even a few bucks off the list price. But I can't really fault then for not doing so. Even with your work efforts you put into making measurements, pix or drawings the reality is, they (the supplier) had convert your efforts into a plan on how to make, setup a BOM (Bill Of Materials) to source and buy the materials, then make fixtures/molds, make and finish the part and pay for labor to make which is not cheap.

It will most likely take quite a few sold finish parts for them to get to a break even point in costs let alone making some sort of profit. All the while they may have made multiple copies that could end up sitting on a shelf for many years which is lost money in slow moving inventory.

Just be glad they didn't charge a "setup" fee and/or minimum quantity rate..

• Like 8

I used to tell the Boy Scouts in my troop, expect nothing in return for your good deeds and you’ll never be disappointed.  You did you your good deed.  Now the world has a replacement part that did not exist and you made it happen.

• Like 9

Pay the $35 and be grateful a custom made reproduction part was available at any price. That's less than a fill up at the gas station. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ABear said:

Just be glad they didn't charge a "setup" fee and/or minimum quantity rate..

When I reproduce a part for someone I "retain the right" to do more but don't charge a setup etc. Tooling up with the jigs and dies etc. can be an expensive exercise and some of the "sketches" I have had to work on were like kiddies crayon scrawls. I prefer to have an example on hand and reverse engineer what I am doing to match and make my own blueprints.

I quoted one customer $150 to make a one-off piece that was no longer available using a pdf copy of one of the factory drawings - he thought that was too high when it was essentially materials cost and token labor charge.

Some things I will do multiples of "just in case" - most of those I still have!

Steve

• Like 6

Look at it this way; If that part was really important to a whole lot of people, then, perhaps he would gratefully give you a freebie or a discount.  But if it will only be used by a very limited market, over a long stretch of time, then I would be glad to have gotten the part made, even though you paid whatever future buyers (if they exist) will pay.

• Like 2

First of all I would remind them of who you are. I think a free part would be the honorable thing to do. That is why now days you have to ask them what am I getting out of it before you send them the part or info. If you are the one fabricating the part or process you have a right to be compensated for your time and trouble. Some people are not in the position to be so generous.

10 minutes ago, jp1gt said:

First of all I would remind them of who you are. I think a free part would be the honorable thing to do. That is why now days you have to ask them what am I getting out of it before you send them the part or info. If you are the one fabricating the part or process you have a right to be compensated for your time and trouble. Some people are not in the position to be so generous.

"Reminding" a business that is in process or has made a "one off" part just for you is a great way to make sure in the future, that business will "remember" to REFUSE doing business with you in the future.

You have to "remember" who you are to begin with. You are a "customer", that is who you are. Doesn't matter if you are "Don't Know Joe" or a well known multi-millionaire, a business owner (IE manufacturer) isn't going to be able to break even, pay the bills they incur let alone earn enough profit to retire someday if their business model is based on operating on "free be's and give aways". Sure, it gives the business a few seconds worth of advertising but they cannot sustain that as a business model for every single "one off" customer.

For some reason everyone thinks all customers should get everything free gratis and the business owner digs a bigger financial hole.

OP of the post supplied as much critical information as asked/required in order for the manufacturer to complete the task of making that part. OP did not design, did not layout, did not buy material, did not make the part.. Business owner to me seems to have made a part for a pretty darn reasonable price of a whopping $35, For that whopping $35 I hope the business at least broke even on making that part since now days material and wages cost are way out of wack now days.

Heck try buying a big mac, small fry and small drink now days.. You think $35 for a one off part is bad, try almost $20 for a big mac meal.

And yes, I have worked in a manufacturing field for well over 20yrs.. It really does cost a lot of money to operate a business, not all business owners make millions..

Support those small businesses, in fact, OP could have TIPPED that business extra for getting the part made to the OPs satisfaction.

• Like 6

My take on the situation is you likely saved them many hours of R & D time and the expense of many bad prototype parts. A few years back A repro parts supplier used my 56 Chrysler as a test vehicle for a rear glass gasket they wanted to market. After they sent and I critiqued two attempts they had it correct.  They sent me one of the the first correct examples as payment for my time and as a thank you.

They got hours of free R & D. I got paid in a part I needed. Everyone got a piece of the pie.

That's exactly as it should be............Bob

• Like 4

Bhigdog, you do make a good point.

But in some respects it depends on how much potential sales market there may be for basically a "one off" part. Not to mention making parts for cars can be tricky due to the fact that not all cars have a cult following or demand. Some cars there just is no real following or demand in the collectors market for making or sourcing new or repro parts.

Both of my antique cars fall into the crack of no or little support in parts. One is just plain too old with very small production numbers, a very small survivor pool of existing cars in the brand/model and short life of the manufacturer. The other is too "modern" 70's (economy compact throw away type car) which while it was produced for 8 yrs in quantity in excess of 300K per yr just doesn't have the following or support of say a Mustang of those yrs. Pretty much I have to hand make a lot of parts for both (sometimes can find parts which I can rework to fit/work which helps a bit) which takes a lot of time and money. I simply cannot afford to send out to manufacturers to make a "one off" part unless there is absolutely no other way to get it fixed. I would love to have parts made for $35!

Did you contact the person who contacted you and mention how you feel? It could be something as simple as an oversight, or the person who started the project might not have finished it. It can't hurt to ask. Danbury Mint built a model of a car that I happened to own a good example for them to use. They used my car for the template and came from Connecticut to my home on Long Island for three weekends straight. It was interesting for the first 45 minutes to an hour, and after that it was pretty boring. When they were done sent me two models of the car they produced. As luck goes everything was identical except they decided to change the color to suntan copper. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ABear said:

Bhigdog, you do make a good point.

But in some respects it depends on how much potential sales market there may be for basically a "one off" part. Not to mention making parts for cars can be tricky due to the fact that not all cars have a cult following or demand. Some cars there just is no real following or demand in the collectors market for making or sourcing new or repro parts.

Both of my antique cars fall into the crack of no or little support in parts. One is just plain too old with very small production numbers, a very small survivor pool of existing cars in the brand/model and short life of the manufacturer. The other is too "modern" 70's (economy compact throw away type car) which while it was produced for 8 yrs in quantity in excess of 300K per yr just doesn't have the following or support of say a Mustang of those yrs. Pretty much I have to hand make a lot of parts for both (sometimes can find parts which I can rework to fit/work which helps a bit) which takes a lot of time and money. I simply cannot afford to send out to manufacturers to make a "one off" part unless there is absolutely no other way to get it fixed. I would love to have parts made for $35!

There is absolutely no one size fits all answer to the OP's question. There are just too many variables to each and any situation.

For example......

When I restored my 56 Chrysler I needed tail light, parking light and back up lenses. They were/are unobtainium. While I was showing my 55 Buick at the New Bern Grand nationals I met a guy that was showing his 56 Chrysler. In conversation I mentioned that I was restoring one and could not find lenses. He said he had several sets and he would send me a set gratis. He was as good as his word and a week later UPS brought me a set.

Fast forward a year or so and he contacted me looking for a set of 11 good 56 Chrysler windshield trim clips. They are one year only and do not exist. The only examples are well rusted and fragile. I had enough barely usable examples but no spares.

I had enough to use for my car but because of his extraordinary generosity I decided to make them. I knew the market was extremely thin but I figured I could at least help a few others.

The die sets,  other tooling and proto typing took about 70 hours before I had a good example. The average shop rate is  now about $125 per hour. Do the math.                                                                                                                                                                                                             It takes about 6 hours to hand make a set of 11.........Do the math

I gave a set to my benefactor, I kept a set for my car, and made a few extra sets, of which I sold exactly one.

The one set I sold netted me $110.

So the point of the story is... Try to figure the logic of that one out.

Yet it happened because of one guys generosity.

Below are pix of the tooling and of an original, in process and completed re-pro clip................Bob

clip 1.jpg

clip.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

BhigDog, Sometimes you simply have to eat the cost of having a part custom made when there is no other way to make it work.

Gifting parts on your dime to someone else is a bonus on your part is a nice gesture.

But folks asking, complaining (or insisting that) a vendor to make something and then squabbling over the cost after the fact of the agreement between two parties was established and the vendor not only made the part and delivered it just isn't right.

I would never thought to ask (or question their pricing) a vendor to lower their price or give me free be's after they delivered what I needed..

I mean the OPs part cost them $35, they got it delivered to them and obviously it must fit/work/look OK, is THAT really worth squabbling about?

BhigDog, you spent considerably more money and time than $35 than the OP of this post and didn't ask for anything in return when you gifted it.. Mighty nice to see you were wiling to help someone out.. But most businesses simply cannot afford to do that for one or every customer.

• Like 1

I've been down this road several times with scooter parts. You want to talk about a microscopic market? It's non-Cushman and non-Vespa vintage scooter parts. The number of people that are restoring those and care enough to obtain and pay for the correct parts is ridiculously small. 

I have supplied many original parts, emblems, decals, and documents to a few professional shops that were either going to restore my originals or reproduce them for my projects. In every case I then paid for the reproduction that was created and never felt that I was being wronged. Although I supplied information or patterns, I didn't actually make the reproduction...they did. Of course, you can say that they wouldn't have been able to do that without what I suppied, but I always have considered doing something that like that to be "giving back" or to be "in service to the hobby" and I've always felt good about doing that for nothing. Having other enthusiasts able to buy a reproduction of a part or decal that took me a lifetime to find is a cool thing, I think. 

That said, in the case of a part that is retailing for all of $35, if it were my business I'd probably have sent you one as a thank you, for free. I agree that the information that was provided sounds like it was worth at least that much. 

• Like 1

A few years ago the door sub sills for my car were not available. A lot of them typically rust away. There was a fellow on another forum that was looking for a decent one to use for his template. I sent him a decent one I had and was told that I would get the first set off the line. Im pretty sure that has been at least 10 years ago and Im still waiting, LOL. 

Another example is the weather strip for the t tops in my car. They are not reproduced in any form. The ones I have are ok and work but if something were to happen then well................ I contacted steele rubber (ha, I always get a kick out of that name) inquiring about having a custom set made. The deal was I had to send them my originals for them to copy, the initial settup and tooling was estimated at several thousand dollars that I would be responsible for then I had to pay for the part. At that point I was no longer interested. 

I've supplied parts to reproducers a few times. In all but one case, I didn't need the part, nor did I ever ask for one in return. In all cases, a free part was sent to me as a thank you. Supplying a good part to be reproduced is a good way to "give back" to the community, not just the company making the parts so that we can restore our cars. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ABear said:

BhigDog, Sometimes you simply have to eat the cost of having a part custom made when there is no other way to make it work.

Gifting parts on your dime to someone else is a bonus on your part is a nice gesture.

But folks asking, complaining (or insisting that) a vendor to make something and then squabbling over the cost after the fact of the agreement between two parties was established and the vendor not only made the part and delivered it just isn't right.

I would never thought to ask (or question their pricing) a vendor to lower their price or give me free be's after they delivered what I needed..

I mean the OPs part cost them $35, they got it delivered to them and obviously it must fit/work/look OK, is THAT really worth squabbling about?

BhigDog, you spent considerably more money and time than $35 than the OP of this post and didn't ask for anything in return when you gifted it.. Mighty nice to see you were wiling to help someone out.. But most businesses simply cannot afford to do that for one or every customer.

Just trying to show that there's lots of sides to the story and lots of ways to look at it. In my case I got my money's worth in satisfaction  figuring out how to and actually making the tools and clips and helping the guy out. If I was a for profit business I likely could not have afforded it.

And as silly as it sounds I get satisfaction by holding, in my hand, the likely only known new 1956 Chrysler wind shield clips in existence. How many people can say that?.........😁  ...............Bob

• Like 3

While I can sympathize with OP, I also wonder what exact agreement (verbal or written) was made by him/her and the manufacturer before proceeding to spend time and effort on supplying the specifications for reproduction.

In past few decades, I’ve been reproducing variety of components & parts for vintage vehicles, including one-offs and/or very limited demand, individual retail values of each ranging from a few hundred to over five thousand dollars  and have always tried to make it very clear what is or isn’t included, who’s responsible for what, etc.before agreeing to take on the job.

I’ve also contracted others to produce something I needed for client jobs and often given a hefty deposit or even full upfront payment (just like I insist on certain specialty commissions).
While most have gone according to agreed upon plan, in couple of instances I’ve discovered there are businesses and/or individuals who don’t seem to be very trustworthy or value their own honor & self-respect same as I do mine.

• Like 2

I occassionaly take on one off type work for fellow hobbyists. When the job is completed all i ask for is the cost of material and postage plus whatever they feel it is worth to them. All but one has been fair and even generous. Except for one guy i spent a day for making a leather die and 8 pieces. He sent me $10 postage.

And so it goes......bob

• Like 1

It really all depends on the understanding before hand.  I contacted a company that reproduces wiring harnesses to get one for my 1962 Imperial.  They quoted me a price and asked me to send what I had, which was in very bad shape, since they didn’t have a pattern.  In the fullness of time, they sent me my new harness and the old one back.  They now list it as one of the many they make on their website and more importantly, I got the harness I needed.  

Not that there is likely a big market for 1962 Imperial wiring harnesses, but if they had said that they were planning on adding that to the their catalog but just needed a pattern, could they use mine as the pattern, I would have still agreed, but would probably expected some sort of discount for having provided them with a pattern.  It’s not a great example, since the likely market is so small, but for a more common item it would be different.  

Edited by DavidinCA (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a friend that took a part off his car to help someone out to have it reproduced, my friend did not need the part until now, since the original part is gone, the fellow that asked for it disappeared and whom ever was going to make the part .

So in my infinite wisdom, when I was asked about sending my near perfect rumble seat steps on my 1928 Buick master C-54 country club coupe to a well known restorer and parts source for this model year for reproduction , I said no. 
I did not want to be hard nosed about it so I relented a little and we agreed that I would take them off and send to a my foundry that I have had good experience . I sent them out and they came back in unfinished form, thank god I didn’t spend the money finishing them as 1 week after I mailed them, they came back with a note, not very pleasant I might add saying that they were poorly done and that I should go get my money back. Needless to say I did not get paid nor my money back from foundry as they did a respectable job.

as I recall a uncle of mine had a saying, “No Good Deed Goes Unpunished “. Fast forward 8 years, I keep the casting of the step in my office as a reminder.  Don’t get me wrong I have given away good unused parts to other collectors, just as others do when I am finished with my restoration.  We have a great hobby with maybe a percent or two of bad actors, probably way better than most things in the world

• Like 3

As a hobby, I reproduce many of the old pot metal parts in bronze. I only do 1927-1931 Cadillacs as that is what I’m into. When someone asks me if I can reproduce a part for them which I don’t already reproduce, I try to figure out how many of that part I’ve made already and what the demand is for it. If I’m not reproducing it now, it’s because I haven’t had anyone ask for it, so I assume there will be a limited demand. 
 As much time as the OP put into it, there is usually a lot more needed to be done in order to make it ready to copy. Bevels, undercuts, detail and possibly splines or teeth all need to be enlarged or deepened to compensate for shrinkage in the reproduction process. I make molds usually of silicone then pour wax to get a plug which then gets sent off to the foundry. There is a 3.5% of shrinkage in this method. Once back, more machining, filing and tweaking is required before it can be sent to a chromer. This all takes time materials and money plus the growing cost of shipping. 
 If a restorer asks for a part reproduced that he has spent 20 hours on, I’m assuming he not only needs the part but wants the best possible copy. If he sends me something that is  carelessly glued together and basically a decaying part which he has put no effort into, then it’s up to me to put in the time to make a good pattern. The materials cost the same for a good copy as a bad copy, it’s just the amount of time I have to put into it. Once it’s done, I would think the restorer would be happy to be able to have the part, not gripe that I didn’t do all of this for free. It’s just a hobby for me but that doesn’t mean that I want to pay to reproduce the part for someone. And heck, $35 for ANY part for a vintage car,  much less one that’s not available is a steal!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Concerning the last few posts.

The part was not a “one off” custom part. The item they are making with the information I gave them is available for sale on eBay to anyone who would need it for their restoration. 

I would completely understand if it was a custom part and would expect to pay the price, much more than $35.00, but the item is now a production piece offered in their online catalog. 

As I stated before I am happy to have the part available, just asking for other people’s experiences in similar situations.

1 hour ago, ia-k said:

The part was not a “one off” custom part. The item they are making with the information I gave them is available for sale on eBay to anyone who would need it for their restoration. 

I would completely understand if it was a custom part and would expect to pay the price, much more than $35.00, but the item is now a production piece offered in their online catalog. 

As I stated before I am happy to have the part available, just asking for other people’s experiences in similar situations.

Even though they now offer the part for sale, you DID get the part you needed, right?

You DID get the part for a resonable price of $35, right?

Think of it this way, had they not decided to make additional parts from your info, that chances are good that they would have had to add at least an additional 0 to the price you paid..

The reality is, they most likely spent much, much more than $35 in labor and possibly materials to make your part. Making additional parts to sell to others is a way a manufacturer can use the labor material they sunk into the project. Eventually if there is enough market, they may be able to recoup enough in sales to break even or heck even start making a profit.

Ask yourself this, would you have been willing to pay $3500 or $350 or $35 for your part.. Chances are you would never have been willing to pay $3500 or $350 for it.. By the vendor selling it to others is a way that the vendor can make a unreasonable cost much, much more reasonable but in the process the vendor IS taking a huge risk that the extra parts will not sell or take 5, 10, 20 yrs to sell enough to fully recoup the costs of making the part you needed.

It is not as "cut and dry" as some seem to think.

I know myself how much time it takes to reverse engineer, rework and design parts that simply do not exist except for the little broken piece in my hand.. Even worse is when the part simply does not exist and I am going on a grainy bad out of focused water stained ripped 50 yr old picture.

I spent an entire winter figuring out how to manufacture and make a new radiator for one of my cars as it used a series of bent copper tubing with nifty looking frilly round copper circle fins.. Found two places that already make and custom bend similar style. They told me in no uncertain terms to go away and quit bothering them, my job was too small and wasn't worth their time to design and setup their process for my needs. I don't fault them, some jobs are not worth the setup costs.

I made my own, 1150 hand cut, drilled and fitted and hand soldered fins.. Pretty much consumed 2hrs each night after work every evening in my garage for 4 months. Even so, I ended up not making the fins frilly as that would have taken me a lot more time to design some sort of mold to press in that detail. But it fits, it work and looks the part as I needed.

• Like 3

$35.00 for a part that is made of unobtanium is chump change in the total cost of a vehicle restoration.  I would be jumping up and down for joy if I could get some of the parts for my projects at that price. 

The most recent part that I had made was a water pump for pre 1910 two cylinder Buick Model F & G.  The cost for that part was just shy of $2,000.00 and that does not take into consideration my gas & time to get the part made. And that was a fair price considering all of the casting & machining of the parts.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ia-k said:

OK.....so tell us the name of the company and part already.....bob

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

OK.....so tell us the name of the company and part already.....bob

Not automotive related. That’s why I asked here and not on the relevant forums for what I am working on. Don’t want to burn any bridges with this supplier questioning their actions on some website they might see it and take it the wrong way.  I received the part, I am satisfied, and thanked the for making it so others restorers have it available.

Again, I am glad they made the part. Asking what other people’s experiences were in a similar situation. Some of the posts are getting off topic with scenarios not related to my question. 

Edited by ia-k (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, ia-k said:

Not automotive related. That’s why I asked here and not on the relevant forums for what I am working on. Don’t want to burn any bridges with this supplier questioning their actions on some website they might see it and take it the wrong way.  I received the part, I am satisfied, and thanked the for making it so others restorers have it available.

Again, I am glad they made the part. Asking what other people’s experiences were in a similar situation.

ia-k, Trust me, I fully understand where you are coming from, you sort of feel like you were taken advantage of and perhaps a bit betrayed.

However, in some respects, you now have the part you needed and you HAVE helped other fellow hobbyists out that have ended up same project that needed the same part which was once made of "unobtainmium".  But through your work, plus a vendor that was willing to take take a risk of losing money on the job of manufacturing what you needed, you have spread out the cost to be more reasonable and added a part that was not available at any cost that can now be bought for a modest price.

To me, I see that as a win on your part, on the vendors part and on other hobbyists part.

Repop parts in no matter what hobby you are in, are very important to keeping the hobbies alive. In this day and age finding repop parts for even nearly brand new things is difficult at any price. Heck, I have a 2020 truck that I broke the tailight lense loading firewood when the truck was less than 6 months old.. Could not find a replacement part at that time.. It has taken four yrs but now it is available as a repop (still not available from the OEM), but it is insanely priced..

10 minutes ago, ABear said:

I have a 2020 truck that I broke the tailight lense loading firewood when the truck was less than 6 months old.. Could not find a replacement part at that time.. It has taken four yrs but now it is available as a repop (still not available from the OEM), but it is insanely priced..

I have felt your pain.  I just love those $2K to $4k headlights and tail lights.  And that does not even include things like side rear view mirrors that can typically start at $1K and go up from there.

7 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I have felt your pain.  I just love those $2K to $4k headlights and tail lights.  And that does not even include things like side rear view mirrors that can typically start at $1K and go up from there.

Sadly, not the LED version, nope incadescent with BLISS radar and just the repop lense (have to transfer the bulbs and radar) is just under $900!

I remember a time that you could walk into retailers like Kmart and buy a replacement pickup truck lens for under $10 for most pickup truck models (major body style changes only happened ever ten yrs back then)..

I forgot to mention some of my reproduction commissions have been based on the fact that there was no existing sample to use as a template, which meant I had to create/fabricate one along with subsequent tooling from scratch.

For example, when commissioned to produce custom or one-off curved automotive windshields or rear glass often meant either the car needing the glass had to be brought/shipped to my shop or I had to go where the car is and in either case the job usually required 20+ hours of pattern/template fabrication & test fitting, etc, not to mention another dozen or so required for tooling fabrication, etc.

Most of this is expected to be paid upfront by the customer in a form of a (non-refundable*) deposit or full payment + along with any transportation or travel expenses, etc., but then again, all this was always discussed in detail with the customer before either of us agreed on the job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1