1932 E-1 Cord Experimental Limousine

Has anyone here seen this car in person? Know any more about it. 

This 1932 E-1 Cord Experimental Limousine was driven only 779 miles when the stock market crash ended the plans for putting the big limo into production.
So, it was dismantled.
Paul Bryant saw the body in a barn near Plato Center, Ill.
It had no engine, no fenders, and no grille shell.
Paul searched for and found the missing parts and painstakingly reassembled this magnificent auto.
May be an image of hood ornament

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Interesting car, but I'm not a fan of the proportions.

Hood is way too long for the rest of the body.

Rear passenger compartment doesn't look any larger than a standard sedan with the large cut out area on the rear door for the rear fender.

My Pierce has a very small cut area on the rear door for the rear fender.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Sorry Craig but it needs to see the light of day on this thread too. Great photo!

I don't know anything about the car or it's history but I like it. I can appreciate all the time and work Mr. Bryant put into it.

image.png.61ddea7e83f645f93acfa9e2bed75de9.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zepher said:

Interesting car, but I'm not a fan of the proportions.

Hood is way too long for the rest of the body.

Rear passenger compartment doesn't look any larger than a standard sedan with the large cut out area on the rear door for the rear fender.

My Pierce has a very small cut area on the rear door for the rear fender.

Originally it was to have A 16 cylinder engine, thus the long hood.  The body is considerably larger all over than an original L29 sedan's.  Plans were revised and became for it to be a 12 cylinder car.  Later it was disassembled and the engine for a while was used to power a dynamo or other device at the nearby power plant. 
My recollections are a bit fuzzy but a comprehensive history of the car is known and could be addressed by ACD Museum staff members or the L29 historian of the ACD Club.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The history was written up in Special Interest Auto magazine in the 1990's iirc.

Soooo.... are you suggesting that this car's history may be as fake as the 56 Lincoln woody cosmo.

6 minutes ago, jdome said:

Soooo.... are you suggesting that this car's history may be as fake as the 56 Lincoln woody cosmo.

Or the Tucker convertible....

10 hours ago, jdome said:

If it was written up in a Hemmings rag in the 90s it must be real. Riiight  ???

If you don't trust Hemmings then go to the heart of the source that was provided (Part 1 is in SIA#119 Oct 1990 and Part 2 is in #120 Dec 1990), copies can be had off eBay and other locations. 

A friend was kind enough to send me a copy of the entire two part article in email and I can honestly say, you'll not be disappointed. 

Incredible read and work that was done by Pat Tobin (and others I'm sure). My hope is you're not suggesting SIA was a rag....

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

32_Cord_E-1.jpg.29c32b3adebfc046f6612f4800143c92.jpgNow let's see a flashback to the old SIA's "DriveReport" days in HCC where they often compared two or three competing makes of cars.  

It would be very cool to see this 1932 Cord E-1 and the 1932 Peerless V-16 sedan which both remained prototypes up against each other.

12acd008.jpg.d32ca33ecba91683a135302d6e9c6496.jpg32_Peerless.jpg.32710a83a6f5e64585497ef42ae9248a.jpg

Which prototype '32 do you want to be driven around in??

32_Peerless_2.jpg.caa981e657580ba7a3b8fe0880b3dd6f.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The last time I was at the ACD Museum that car was on the floor. That was, maybe 2010-12. It is a stunning car. I had a meeting on Maumee Bay near Toledo so staying in Auburn was the most natural thing to do.

I got to the museum at opening time on a week day. A docent was dusting the car and no one else was there. We talked about it quite a while. I would sure like to repeat that trip.

RIGHT NOW!

• Like 1

The hood is a longer version of the 1934 Ford hood, with a bigger oil leak than the Ford.   My back seat leg room may be bigger too.

I remember 50 years ago when I began showing my first 34 Ford and watched older women look in the back seat and grin.   I  guess back seat memories last a lifetime.IMG_01771.JPG.b0d93a2ff8b08168c23078006ba2378a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The last time I was at the ACD Museum that car was on the floor. That was, maybe 2010-12. It is a stunning car. I had a meeting on Maumee Bay near Toledo so staying in Auburn was the most natural thing to do.

I got to the museum at opening time on a week day. A docent was dusting the car and no one else was there. We talked about it quite a while. I would sure like to repeat that trip.

RIGHT NOW!

If you are into trucks, Auburn, IN. Has an interesting truck museum too. The truck museum happens to be on Gordon  Buehrig St. and the ACD Museum is on some nondescript st name. If you can, time your next visit to coincide with the ACD festival.  

43 minutes ago, jdome said:

If you are into trucks, Auburn, IN. Has an interesting truck museum too.

That is the NATmus Museum, immediately behind the ACD Museum.

Some unusual cars and trucks in there.

Craig

I have been visiting the ACD Museum since 1978. I cherish those 10 AM visits on weekdays. I visited the NASmus once.

The focus and quiet of the ACD Museum is what brings me back.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

Is there a period picture of this car somewhere?

If there is, it's probably a panoramic ;) 

Can anyone tell us if it was made to act as his own personal limousine eventually or was it simply designed for marketing purposes? 

Hence the famous tag "200 Horsepower Sensation Of The Automobile World"

I would think the book "Errett Lobban Cord His Empire His Motorcars" would explain what the ultimate motives were, but I do not have a copy of it.

So far the pictures of the car have been terrible. In person it looks great.

My set of pictures from that visit got lost in a server incident. I took about 100 that day.

Glad to still have the memory.

• Like 1

I must confess that I have rarely if ever seen a "limo" that looked good. In the vast majority of cases, they are assembled by taking a nicely designed car and chopping them in half, adding a center section, lengthening the chassis, and perhaps even raising the roofline, adding some bells and whistles (fake landau bars for example), larger wheels. None of the resulting modifications from a styling viewpoint, usually have  been run by the original designer. The buyers/owners usually don't care, they buy them for prestige. There have been exceptions where a designer was intimately involved, a few Rolls Royce customs, the Bugatti Royales perhaps. So, the OP Cord fairs pretty well by comparison, there have been thousands of ugly limousines.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I believe the body shows itself with a streamline grill (much different than the one on the current car) on a whatever chassis that looks like a more streamlined Duesenberg - and apologies I do not have the photo.  

The front fenders are from a Brooks Steven’s Cord (probably transplanted WWII era or …)

Here is the catch - why are there no “period” photos of the car in its current configuration and my understanding is that there are or were  two bodies (a blue one and a maroon one) and/or two grills (Blue and maroon too - of which one is on the car now).  So there should even be more a chance of photos ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

So there should even be more a chance of photos ? 

I've had time to research due to a recent surgery so I've been able to dig into thousands of period publications via digital libraries but have only accomplished exhaustion. Since the project was so hidden I may be digging in the wrong hole...

That part of the SIA interview (blue and maroon bodies) stood out to me also. I'm hopeful someone gets lucky and uncovers one in our lifetime.  

I'm sure most of us are equally hopeful anyway. 

• Like 1

You are looking for a photo of what looks to be like a Duesenberg with a very stylized waterfall art deco grill - but there should be plenty more that do not exist for whatever reason and for two cars (and where is the other body and where is the other grill) 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)