WW tire options for first gen?

MrAG Riv

Hi All. Been a while for a tire discussion on first gens. I’ve been looking for affordable white wall tire options and i see the obvious Coker the Diamondback options. My question… Do any of the major manufacturers still produce or stock a 15” WW for our cars that are good as drivers for a non-show car? My searches have been met with “discontinued” or “back ordered- no eta”. 

Guidance always appreciated. 

Thx. 
MrAG Riv

Greetings MrAG,  I am on my 2nd set of Firestone FR380 P225/75R15 Weathermasters with absolute satisfaction. They are recommended pickup truck tires but the Riv rides like a dream on them. They do rub a tad on tight parking maneuvers, but that has never been a real problem. They have a I" whitewall & I believe they are the only 15" whitewalls available from Firestone. Its been a few years, so hopefully they still make them. good luck.        Drew

• Thanks 1

I have Milestar MS775 in 235/75R15's but plan to try the Hankook Kinergy ST this summer. 

When I got the car the Milestar tires were already 10 years old so I will not pass judgement on those tires but looking forward to getting some new tires in the near future. Trying to prep up for Hotrod Power Tour in June.

• Like 2

I figure the Hankooks are a good option; they are OE on a bunch of makes these days, and I sell quite a few at my Nissan parts department. That being said, I understand they look like a big billboard with their logos on the whitewall versions.

• Like 1

I recommend what I'm running on my car.......Venezia Classic 787 whitewalls in 225-75-15. They drive like

a dream, the whitewalls stay nice and white, they don't rub, they have very subtle lettering unlike the

billboard letters on the Hankooks, and they are very inexpensive, at 107.99 each. You can buy them on the internet and you'll receive them

very quickly right to your door. Here's a pic of my car with these tires installed........

DSCN0358.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jframe said:

Hankooks

I found the Hankooks to hold up especially well on my daily driver. I remember getting a lot of mileage from the Hankooks. I was surprised.

I heard from my “ tire man” all tires coming in this country and tires made her must pass specifications set by the federal agency responsible. The tire man went on to say many of the tires made in the USA are not allowed in foreign countries because US made tires do not meet specifications.

Turbinator

I feel I have to chime in on this as getting a good set of whitewalls for my car has been problematic. 

I bought a new set of tires for my car when I first bought it in 2014. I ran those whitewalls for 7 years and heeded the age warning and decided to buy a new set of tires. Simple right? In 2021 on advice found here I bought a set of Venezia Classic 787 tires on line. When they were installed I noticed that 3 of the tires had brown spots on the whitewalls. This was not readily visible as they had the protective blue coating on them. I called the seller about this and they basically told me to pound sand as I had gone past the 45 day return period. I delayed getting them on as I had had shoulder surgery. The tires rode beautifully but, the brown spots bothered me. I have found out that these brown spots are caused by a defective barrier layer between the inner layer of the tire and the whitewall. No amount of scrubbing or application of cleaning concoctions will remove these stains. 

I sold those tires and thought I would play it smart and buy the tires locally so that it there was a defective tire I could exchange it easily. I went with the Hankooks this time. These tires like the Venezia's ride beautifully. I encountered the same problem with the whitewalls as I did before. I have taken off and had 8 tires replaced under warranty because of this problem. I finally gave up because it was just becoming ridiculous.

I now have a decision to make. I can just leave them and put up with the brown spots or try to play Russian Roulette with new tires. It seems as if this problem is with tires manufactured outside the USA. I know Cooper made whitewalls but, they did not make the size I wanted. I searched for them recently and it seems that even they do not make them anymore. It seems that my only other choice is to go with the Diamondbacks which entails a huge cash outlay.

I know this seems like a trivial problem but, I work too hard to make my car look and be the best it can be and then have crappy looking tires. Suggestions anyone?

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

Some great suggestions here, guys, much appreciated. I notice the OP and myself are in Canada, and I can't imagine what the shipping, duties etc. will cost if I/we have to bring new skins outta the US. If any Canadians have had success getting 'cost effective' whitewalls in the Great White North, any advice would be appreciated.

Later,

1 hour ago, MikeJS said:

I notice the OP and myself are in Canada, and I can't imagine what the shipping, duties etc. will cost if I/we have to bring new skins outta the US. If any Canadians have had success getting 'cost effective' whitewalls in the Great White North, any advice would be appreciated.

Could be worse, either P225/75R-15 or P235/75R-15 or both being discontinued altogether. The saviour is that these are "trailer tire" sizes, especially the latter. South-of-the-border, they do the extra step of offering WSWs.

There are fewer choices here. I've found that in Canada, distributors with exclusive brands will not stock or even order a WSW "trailer tire" even though that brand produces them.

A tire is a consumable and a safety item.

A friend in Hamilton (close to the border) was fed-up in his search and purchased blackwall trailer tires in-stock and installed Port-a-Walls. Later noticing how one flaps on the highway.

I refuse to purchase on-line although if doing so, I've heard Canadian Snowbirds shipping via USPS with a tag looped around the tire, do not wrap. This was for non antique car "Drivers" and duties were waived. Packaging the tire will have COD charges. Still True? So, Coker and Diamondback, not a consideration.

I too would like to purchase local. Like inspecting in-stock auto parts on the parts counter at my local jobber.

If I do a car meet in the Pacific Northwest, was considering to have a tire shop down there order a set of Hankook H735 WSW tires. Then nurse my 34 year old BF Goodrich WSW tires with <500 miles south-of-the-border and have them changed for the return trip. This way I could inspect them.

Challenge is to find a tire shop in Canada that will order, sell and install a set P235/75-15 WSW tires. If any Canadian has success, please post.

Another dilemma is when replacing all 4 tires, would like to toss 3 and re-mount the 4th on another rim for a spare. Tire shops will not re-mount a 34 year old tire. So, replace tires on only 3 of my Riviera's wheels, use the 4th wheel as a spare. Then find another rim to mount the 4th tire.

21 hours ago, Turbinator said:

I found the Hankooks to hold up especially well on my daily driver. I remember getting a lot of mileage from the Hankooks. I was surprised.

I heard from my “ tire man” all tires coming in this country and tires made her must pass specifications set by the federal agency responsible. The tire man went on to say many of the tires made in the USA are not allowed in foreign countries because US made tires do not meet specifications.

Turbinator

Well, I don’t know what specs you guys ‘fail’ on, but I wish we got some of your tyres … I live in UK and we have a phenomenon here called ‘blooming’ on whitewalls - horrible brown discolouration which is a real PIA to clean , never 100% well, and it just comes back … check out this from one of our premier vintage /classsic tyre sellers website:

https://www.northhantstyres.com/faqs-files/whitewall-maintenance.php#:~:text=Tyre Blooming.,-Tyre rubber compounds&text=Once anti-ozonant reaches the,look is 'tyre blooming'.

maybe only associated with Cheaper tyres made in Europe , who knows 😀 but next time I’ll get redlines (are they immune?) or bring back a set of 5 in my luggage next time I’m over your way…

out of interest , as looks like this issue hasn’t been mentioned in this thread ( except a ref to a few brown spots here and here ), is ‘blooming’ an issue in the US at all?

cheers

kev

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moran75 said:

Well, I don’t know what specs you guys ‘fail’ on, but I wish we got some of your tyres … I live in UK and we have a phenomenon here called ‘blooming’ on whitewalls - horrible brown discolouration which is a real PIA to clean , never 100% well, and it just comes back … check out this from one of our premier vintage /classsic tyre sellers website:

https://www.northhantstyres.com/faqs-files/whitewall-maintenance.php#:~:text=Tyre Blooming.,-Tyre rubber compounds&text=Once anti-ozonant reaches the,look is 'tyre blooming'.

maybe only associated with Cheaper tyres made in Europe , who knows 😀 but next time I’ll get redlines (are they immune?) or bring back a set of 5 in my luggage next time I’m over your way…

out of interest , as looks like this issue hasn’t been mentioned in this thread ( except a ref to a few brown spots here and here ), is ‘blooming’ an issue in the US at all?

cheers

kev

Kev,

Thank you for posting this with the link. I found it very helpful and informative. I would hazard a guess that this is the issue I have had and am still having with my tires. I may have to rethink getting different tires as this may be a problem that one cannot escape. 

Has anyone ever had this problem with the Diamondback tires?

Bill

For about 30 years now, i have been cleaning my white walls  with a product most of us know called ,

prepsol or wax  and grease remover, for those that dont know, this is the product used just before you paint

your car.

Its available from  any paint suppler,---but to use this properly on your tires, use 100%--- white--- cotton rags,

when doing this ,rub really hard  and keep turning the rag over  to a clean area on rag while  go around your white wall.

I purchase my rags from kmart, as they sell 2 grades of towels here thick ones and thinner ones, and the thinner ones are excellent

as i cut them  up for  rags,  and they only cost  $3.00 or $4.00. each.

Here is a photo of  a small strip i just did on my Buick at the bottom of tire,  about 15 minutes ago---rest of tire did about 6 months ago.

prepsol.jpg

IMG_1457 (2).jpgprepsol.jpg

Edited by Wayne R
spelling (see edit history)
  • Thanks 4

On 4/8/2023 at 6:51 AM, Riviera63 said:

Has anyone ever had this problem with the Diamondback

Bill, I believe Diamondback sells different brands. Diamondback probably has their own brand. I have American Classic Radial bias look and the white walls get dirty. I’ve not noticed brown spots /stains appearing any of my white walls. Just soiled road grime is all I’ve experienced. SOS steel wool pads have useful in getting the white walls clean.

On 4/8/2023 at 5:30 AM, moran75 said:

maybe only associated with Cheaper tyres made in Europe , who knows 😀 but next time I’ll get redlines

Kev, I believe automobile tires made in the US and tires coming in from offshore tire makers have specific specifications that must be met set by a federal transportation agency. I’ve been told by my tire shop owner some of the tires made in the US would not pass foreign government specifications. I think it would take a few more professional tire industry persons to speak on the tire blooming case.

I just thought white wall tires just got plain dirty.

Turbinator

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

I’ve been told by my tire shop owner some of the tires made in the US would not pass foreign government specifications.

Good day.

From what I understand, if the tires meet US DOT standards (and/or Japan JIS) and they are marked as such, they can be imported/used in Canada...

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-12-2-eng.html

Later,

• Thanks 2

On 4/8/2023 at 2:30 AM, moran75 said:

Yes. Everyone complains, so I assume it is widespread. I am in the US and have never heard it called blooming until now, but I don't know what to call it. Browning? Maybe it's just a terminology difference.

On 4/8/2023 at 3:51 AM, Riviera63 said:

maybe only associated with Cheaper tyres made in Europe , who knows 😀

Nah, we definitely have it in the US, some tires are still made here too. I asked someone in the tire industry several years ago why there are no white letter versions of modern high performance tires. He told me the more modern formulations of rubber used to get better performance turn the white rubber brown, and that an older formulation of rubber is needed for white letter and whitewall tires. I can't prove that, but it is in interesting take. Tire factories are typically not associated with one brand anymore, at least not in the US, and are hired out to the various manufacturers. A code on the sidewall can tell you what factory any US market tire came from, whether it was made domestic or overseas. Occams razor would suggest they just aren't changing the rubber type out to make runs of whitewalls, because the runs of whitewalls are probably small.

36 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Bill, I believe Diamondback sells different brands. Diamondback probably has their own brand.

Yes and Yes. Diamondback adds the whitewall using a machine related in concept to the old recapping machines. They do this to preexisting modern tires, as well as their own "Auburn" tires. The Auburn tires tend to be obsolete sizes that have no modern equivalent. I suspect that might apply to a first generation Riviera if using the original size, but I know not everyone does that, so either type of tire might apply. They have addressed the browning issue, and claim to have a proprietary layer they put in that isolates the white to prevent browning. I have a Diamondback Auburn whitewall tire sitting here for a little over a year and it hasn't turned brown, so maybe it's true. Your mileage may vary.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 8:08 PM, MikeJS said:

Good day.

From what I understand, if the tires meet US DOT standards (and/or Japan JIS) and they are marked as such, they can be imported/used in Canada...

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-12-2-eng.html

Later,

Thank you, it is good to know our tires are safe for our friends in Canada and Japan if they meet DOT standards. What my tire guy was saying to me is even if our tires made in the USA meet DOT standards that does not mean they meet other countries standards.

Some American gents rag on import tires saying they made with inferior rubber and are not reliable tires. Could very well be their experience. In the past as a younger man with resources committed to mortgage payments, utilities, insurance, college tuition I bought used tires that I thought were safe and had a great price. I’ve never really ever had problems with car tires.Guess, I’m lucky.

Turbinator

• Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 7:23 PM, Bloo said:

Yes and Yes. Diamondback adds the whitewall using a machine related in concept to the old recapping machines. They do this to preexisting modern tires, as well as their own "Auburn" tires. They have addressed the browning issue, and claim to have a proprietary layer they put in that isolates the white to prevent browning. I have a Diamondback Auburn whitewall tire sitting here for a little over a year and it hasn't turned brown, so maybe it's true. Your mileage may vary.

I contacted Diamondback and discussed the whitewall brown spot issue with them. They claim as Bloo said, that they they vulcanize the whitewall to the tire and do add a barrier to prevent the leaching that would brown the whitewall. They back their tire with a 4 year warranty against this and any other issues that might arise. The salesperson was very helpful and polite. 

I am very seriously considering buying their Auburn premium whitewalls. Any width I want up to 3". I thought the shipping quote was very reasonable and they do not charge sales tax which helps offset the cost of shipping. They said it would be 3 weeks from the time the order is placed to the tires being on my doorstep. Not cheap by any means but, that brown spotting on the whitewalls just drives me crazy. I spend too much time on my car getting it to look nice and then have crappy looking tires. 

Bill

• Like 2

Bit the bullet and ordered a set of 4 Auburn Premiums from Diamondback. Cost spread over 7-8 years makes me feel better as does the anticipation of whitewalls that actually stay white.  I ordered 225/75's with a 3/4" whitewall. The whitewall width on my current Hankook's is 5/8" and so is my Nexen spare. I realize that the whitewall of the day may have been wider. I prefer the narrower whitewall just as I prefer the larger tires. In my opinion the cars of that era were "under tired" and look better with wider and larger tires as compared to the tires of the day. The shipping was less than they had estimated when I first called and they said 2 1/2 weeks to my door. 

Bill

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

ordered a set of 4 Auburn Premiums from Diamondback.

Just curious, I am not up-to-speed on specialty tires fearing their costs. But a quick look shows their entry level Diamond Back-I.  They currently use a Nexen tire. Hmmm, must be a good tire? Relying on posted images, the tread pattern matches up to Nexen N'Priz AH5 and P/N for 225/75-R15 is 15407NXK.

Good choice on those DB Auburn Premiums Bill. If I was south-of-the-border, I'd do the same. I like the vintage tread pattern, almost bias ply look.

Screen-shot does not show WSW but it's spec'd that way:

image.png.1b2b8938b0231012cfcc219ae985f989.png

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

Just curious, I am not up-to-speed on specialty tires fearing their costs. But a quick look shows their entry level Diamond Back-I.  They currently use a Nexen tire. Hmmm, must be a good tire? Relying on posted images, the tread pattern matches up to Nexen N'Priz AH5 and P/N for 225/75-R15 is 15407NXK.

Good choice on those DB Auburn Premiums Bill. If I was south-of-the-border, I'd do the same. I like the vintage tread pattern, almost bias ply look.

Screen-shot does not show WSW but it's spec'd that way:

image.png.1b2b8938b0231012cfcc219ae985f989.png

There was only a $20 difference between the two. When I initially talked to the salesman, he talked about how the Auburn Premiums were designed to have a tread pattern and look of tires of that time period. He also said if you chose the DB 1 all the lettering was removed from the sidewall. It is completely smooth. If you go to the website you can zoom in on the tire and see this.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

There was only a $20 difference between the two.

Yes, I see it's a minimal upgrade and I have no intention purchasing Diamond Back I tires from them, only their Auburn Premiums.

But my forever quest to purchase locally (have the distributor xfer stock to my locale within their system), I thought Nexen must be a good tire if that's what Diamond Back Is are based on. Nexen is sold here and they appear to be available in WSWs as 15407NXK.

Amazon.ca and eBay have them, kind of pricey. Will try local tire shops that sell Nexen.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 6:44 AM, MrAG Riv said:

My searches have been met with “discontinued” or “back ordered- no eta”. 

There are 2 Diamond Back Dealers in Canada. One has no website (fly-by-night). The other just sent a Quote for a set of 225R15 Auburn Premiums. Priced as if I'm buying a set of 35" mud slinger off-road rubber!

A far cry from possibly the last set of WWs in Canada where a friend purchased Cooper Trendsetter SEs for 126.07 CAD - each tire back in November 2021

I picked-up my research on this from a couple of years back and the situation has gotten worse, including those online stores boasting free shipping for a set of 4!

So, MrAG is correct. No WW tires for trailers in Canada!

Summary Quote for DB Auburn Premiums below - I didn't even bother opening the PDF.

Dear John B,

Please review the estimate below. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

We look forward to working with you.

Thanks for your business!

California Rod & Custom

------------------------   Estimate Summary  --------------------------

Estimate # : 4233

Estimate Date: 17-04-2023

Total: $4,203.07

The complete version has been provided as an attachment to this email.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Nexen is sold here and they appear to be available in WSWs as 15407NXK.

Amazon.ca and eBay have them, kind of pricey. Will try local tire shops that sell Nexen.

John, good day.

Thanks for the efforts and info to date, much appreciated. I actually called Nexen, and they confirmed that the only distributor that have ordered the 150407NXK (225-75-R15) in Canada recently was the wholesaler Tire Discounter Group (TDG) in Ontario. I called them and talked to a gentlemen that searched his dealers and found two tires left in a dealer in Orangeville, ON (sorry, didn't get the name) . He indicated that by going through a dealer, the tire can be ordered from Nexen, but Nexen only accepts orders by the container full that can be mixed and matched, so the wholesaler such as TDG would need to order a container of tires and these whitewalls would be part of the order. Current delivery time is 3-6 months from the time the wholesaler can complete a full container order. Going through a dealer of The Tire Discounter Group might be the best option if indeed these are the only reasonable options we have at getting whitewalls cost effectively in Canada. (MSRP per Tire Discounter Group was CDN$224/tire, but may vary dealer to dealer)

And the search continues...

Later,

6 hours ago, MikeJS said:

found two tires left in a dealer in Orangeville, ON

I am still waiting for a reply from Nexen Canada. You progressed further than me. Very frustrating.

Spent most of the day searching FOR ANY WW TIRE and I'm told we're 1.5 years too late. Only 5% of tires sold in North America are in Canada. Meaning, we don't count!

1010tire.com has the odd "Funny Brand" with WSWs. Again, can't inspect them before purchase. Buy 6 to better our chance for 4 good ones!

Slightly better selection for 225/70-15 WSW "Funny Brand" tires. Slightly worse MPG. Only common denominator is IRONMAN RB12 NWS in both sizes

I know Tom T and Turbinator have used 225/70-15s. A slightly smaller diameter at 27.4" vs 225/75-15 at 28.3" Original 7.60-15 tires were 27.7" OD I believe

Oh, opening the PDF for that $4203.07 quote was for 8 tires. I forgot, I requested prices for 4 Auburn Premiums and 4 "Lincoln Tires" also with the 3/4" WSW. About the same price for either set and still too much $$$

Who in their right mind would order a White Side Wall (WSW) TRAILER TIRE anyway?😠

Thanks to my Canadian Buick brothers John and Mike for the detective work on this matter and confirming the unfortunate news for us comrades north of the border.  I am now resolved to cook up a WW tire acquisition gambit pulling product from the US. I will relay any relevant findings or experiences. 

Kind regards,

MrAG Riv 

30 minutes ago, MrAG Riv said:

I am now resolved to cook up a WW tire acquisition gambit pulling product from the US.

The two of us are at a logistical disadvantage. Hamilton is close to the border. You can order, then go and inspect when picking up. Non of this online stuff.

Like purchasing pet food online. They'll send you perishables with a close expiry date.

In fact, a friend in Hamilton purchased BSW trailer tires last summer and installed Port-a-Walls because he couldn't find WSWs. He left it to the last minute before a car meet and was rushed. Port-a-Walls, really?

Yes, please keep us informed.

Here is my   thoughts and what i did with my Riv  with tires, when living in  Sacramento i  purchased  4 new tires from pep  boys,

named  Futura-2000-Touring SE,  white walls, can not remember  the price ,   they did not have 225x75x15,

but had   235x70x15,  and i remember  that they were about the same diameter,   28.05  same 102S,and here is what i liked they had a tread

width of  7.50, and section width of 9.31,  they let me test  just 2 on the front, and they only just touched inner  chassis a little, so i fitted the 4

all round.

I  drove that Riviera fast , and it would corner  fantastic and   with so much more safety, and it looked great  with slightly wider tires.

probably can not get that size now with white walls----not sure.----a few photos.--yes i did get a flatty  one day.

014.JPG

049.JPG

P1100376.JPG

IMG_1494.jpg futura.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg futura.jpg

Edited by Wayne R
photos (see edit history)
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, MrAG Riv said:

I will relay any relevant findings or experiences.

Well Gentlemen, I am DONE in my search. It appears whether store front or online, they all draw from Canadian stock except for 1010tires.com which also has Zero stock but is the only one drawing WSW for Ironman, Hankook and Milestar from the US with a hefty markup. About $120/tire over the same product with BSW. So, this is a finding because 1010tires.com price puts it closer to Auburn Premiums which is still a staggering $474/tire (CAD).

US based online tire store Simple tire would save $100 per tire over 1010tires.com but will not ship to Canada. Tirerack.com will do Canada but shipping and brokerage will only be $80/tire in savings over 1010tires.com

Brands like Venezia, Vercelli and Eldorado not marketed here.

I discovered this screen-shot below last night in CAD $$$, perfect! So, was itching to call during business hours this AM only be told they only have them in BSW. A hoax.

I give up. Will continue to drive on my 29 year old BF Goodrich Premium IV tires!

image.png.f67994898f9c25043503382e65255c0b.png

• Like 1

Hmmm...  Maybe you need to take a vacation south with a car that accepts 5x5 steel wheels, or at least has 15" rims.  Then you might experience a 'road hazard' event that requires you to install four new tires.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hmmm...  Maybe you need to take a vacation south with a car that accepts 5x5 steel wheels, or at least has 15" rims.

Hmmm . . . Justification to do BCA Natn'l Meet in Spokane July 15th.

My 29 year old BF Goodrich's has had a cushy life the entire time in the garage. I have full faith in using them on the open highway. Spokane is 1000 KMs straight south, I could pre-order Venezia Classic 787s and have them installed at a Les Schwab tire store down there. I'll buy 5. This will also meet my requirement of inspecting my pre-order before installation.

Tires were only 1 item to make my Riviera reliable. Even during cruising season, I don't need them right here and now. However, I pushed my luck with procrastination because we're a year too late. I wouldn't be surprised WSWs remaining in Canadian stock last year were sent back to the US where they'd move quicker with a shelf life that's not forever!

I dug-in searching for tires thinking I'd find some in a sleepy warehouse and better snap them up while I can. Not so.

After failing fresh rubber, a reality check is that an extra year or two to make 31 years is not going to be any different. I am confident with my old rubber.

Message to other Canadians, retailers draw from central stock. Stores will tell you right away, "no, we can't get them". Of the numerous Canadian online retailers, 3 showed "in-stock" with "Add-to-Cart" on their old web page - no stock.

For those who are desperate and far from the US market, US based tirerack.com will ship to Canada. Free shipping only in the US of course. But I was quoted only $140 USD for shipping. Tirerack.com must have a discount deal to ship at only $140. I couldn't ship that cheap. Quotes were pushing $600 for ground, depot-to-depot.

Again, with some lead time, 1010tires.com is the only Canadian Retailer that will supply WSW Ironman, Hankook and MileStar.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

After failing fresh rubber, a reality check is that an extra year or two to make 31 years is not going to be any different. I am confident with my old rubber.

John, good day.

Once again, thanks for your efforts on this topic. I too am running low mileage whitewalls from the mid '90s. The car was stored on jacks for a number of years inside but rubber does deteriorate over time. Whether or not the older compounds have a better longevity than newer tires, who knows, but we are both taking a risk. My fears started a few years ago after reading this thread...

Nonetheless, taking risks is inherent in the world we live in, and if you want to put four more new WW tires into your trunk to bring back from Spokane, I'd be more than willing to take them off your hands. These cars do have a lot of trunk space, and just tell the border crossing guards that you don't trust the new tire compounds so you are simply carrying a few extra spares just in case...😊

Seriously, take care, keep us posted.

Later,

• Like 2