WW tire options for first gen?

MrAG Riv

32 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

Not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me what GR70/15 translates into today’s equivalent sizes?

Pat, good day.

Found this online, sounds rational but I can’t confirm…

——

The equivalent size to the GR70-15 would be P225/70R15 - almost identical in O.D. but slightly wider O.W. than the 'G'(0.3"). The best match in 60 series would be the P265/60R15 - approx. 0.1" taller in O.D., but about 1.7" wider. You may want to check your wheels, though, the minimum width for 
the P265 is 7.5". The minimum for the P225 is 6.0". While you are at it, make sure the wheels are radial approved - some early cars with bias tires at OE are not

——

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

Not trying to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me what GR70/15 translates into today’s equivalent sizes?  Thanks!

On the letter size tires, the height stays constant (more or less), rather that the section width. So, a G78, G70 and G60 would all be close to the same height, but radically different widths. This is in contrast to old number sizes as well as newer metric width sizes, where 225/70, 225/78, and 225/60 have more or less the same section width, but radically different heights.

All you need to do to get the closest modern equivalent to a letter series tire is to choose the same aspect ratio (70 for a GR70-15), and then pick the tire size closest in height. From @MikeJS' post, I gather that is P225/70R15.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Riviera Russ 65 said:

I picked up Cooper 235/75/15’s last year from Trail Tire here in Sherwood Park where I live.

Wow, You must've purchased the last set!

I tried them for 225s - No Way Jose. How are 235s for rubbing? Tried them lock-to-lock? A 235 spare won't fit on the hump in the trunk.

How selfish of you not to give us a "Heads-Up" on the situation - LOL.

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

If you have any doubt about your old tires on the highway (as in the trip to Spokane) bring your IR thermometer with you.  Drive 50 miles and stop for a reading.  Do the same at 150.  If all is good and there is no bumping or vibration, then just shoot them whenever you stop (i.e., for fuel or food).  If the pressures are correct they should run fairly cool.  If a belt shifts or some other structural issue arises, it should be felt either in the steering wheel (front) or seat of the pants (rear) before failure occurs...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Riviera Russ 65 said:

No issues with rubbing.  It was last year when I bought them so they could be out of stock?

Russ, if you delve into it today, you'll find there's absolutely ZERO stock and most listings have been dropped. That is through normal tire shop and online channels. Then there are the fly-by-night small time dealers with huge mark-ups. Nothing in-between.

But, stay tuned. I have a lead to follow-up on!

10 hours ago, EmTee said:

bring your IR thermometer with you.

They are so cheap, I keep one in my Riv. Thanks for the advise though. It wouldn't have occurred to me to pull it out of the glovebox for tire monitoring. Again, THANKS!😊

Always hearing issues on over heating of something or another. Never have that problem here. It's COLD in Canada!

• Like 1

I have been in contact with John B. aka XframeFX and offered him the 4 Hankooks (225/75) I will be taking off of my car for $150 for the 4. They are less than 2 years old and have less than 1500 miles on them. He found that shipping of the tires to him where he was prohibitive but, he has informed me that he was able to score some whitewalls. The offer I made to him stands for anyone else in Canada that needs whitewalls and isn't able to get them. If you can figure out a way to get them from me to you. They are yours. If you know of anyone in that situation, pass the word. 

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I will be taking off of my car for $150 for the 4. They are less than 2 years old and have less than 1500 miles on them.

Bill, good day.

Sounds like an option, but I would want to confirm that a reputable shop here would install and balance used tires. I'd be surprised. With my luck, I'd end up with four newish tire swings in the backyard...

Since I've budgeted for them, I'd still prefer to find new whitewall skins but it isn't looking great at this point. I'll certainly chat with a couple shops and keep your offer in mind, thank you.

Later,

50 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

Bill, good day.

Sounds like an option, but I would want to confirm that a reputable shop here would install and balance used tires. I'd be surprised. With my luck, I'd end up with four newish tire swings in the backyard...

Since I've budgeted for them, I'd still prefer to find new whitewall skins but it isn't looking great at this point. I'll certainly chat with a couple shops and keep your offer in mind, thank you.

Later,

Hi Mike,

I could see where a shop that sells new tires as their main focus might balk at that. Wouldn't an automotive repair shop be happy to do that? I know the shop where have my Riviera serviced would mount and balance them without a second thought. Anyway, they are here if you need them.

Bill

I spoke with my main tire guy here in the GTA and he confirmed that WW are no longer stock items in his vast network. He did point me to Queensway Tire in Simcoe, Ontario as they still have some inventory of Travelstar 225-75R15 with 3/4” WW in stock. $1020 CAD for a set of 4 and they will ship anywhere in Canada. 

i am still working on the US import option to access a few more options. 

• Thanks 1

This Post was started by MrAG Riv and woke us Canadian Consumers up to the fact that there was a window for acquiring WSW tires that has now closed sometime after Riviera Russ 65 bought his Coopers.

MrAG Riv resides in the "Golden Horseshoe" where he could slip down to Buffalo for tires, Kalamazoo for a national car meet, etc.

Up to now, those of us in the prairies are stuck. I refuse to pay 1010tires.com $120/tire more over the BSW counterpart. They already claim they "eat" the costs to bring them in through different channels, the only Canadian retailer to do so.

However yesterday, I found them right under my nose! A small tire shop chain with stores in Alberta, a couple in Saskatchewan and  one in Kelowna but headquartered here in Edmonton, they have Suretrac Whitewall Power Touring in-stock!

No online robbery for price, no shipping, no protection fees, no PST, no BS! Good Ole Edmonton!
WSW for Suretrac Whitewall Power Touring is a little wider, 1.4" for 70s and 1.5" for 75s

So, now wouldn't mind feedback whether to stay with 225/75-15s, or since tire places have been shoving "trailer tire size" down my throat, switch to 225/70-15s with a 1.4" WSW, A perfect size would be 235/70-15 as commented by Wayne R but no such thing in WSW today.

Who's running 225/70-15 tires? Good?
image.png.f80d71e01c0ee3c48435162181a3b9d5.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, XframeFX said:

This Post was started by MrAG Riv and woke us Canadian Consumers up to the fact that there was a window for acquiring WSW tires that has now closed sometime after Riviera Russ 65 bought his Coopers.

MrAG Riv resides in the "Golden Horseshoe" where he could slip down to Buffalo for tires, Kalamazoo for a national car meet, etc.

Up to now, those of us in the prairies are stuck. I refuse to pay 1010tires.com $120/tire more over the BSW counterpart. They already claim they "eat" the costs to bring them in through different channels, the only Canadian retailer to do so.

However yesterday, I found them right under my nose! A small tire shop chain with stores in Alberta, a couple in Saskatchewan and  one in Kelowna but headquartered here in Edmonton, they have Suretrac Whitewall Power Touring in-stock!

No online robbery for price, no shipping, no protection fees, no PST, no BS! Good Ole Edmonton!
WSW for Suretrac Whitewall Power Touring is a little wider, 1.4" for 70s and 1.5" for 75s

So, now wouldn't mind feedback whether to stay with 225/75-15s, or since tire places have been shoving "trailer tire size" down my throat, switch to 225/70-15s with a 1.4" WSW, A perfect size would be 235/70-15 as commented by Wayne R but no such thing in WSW today.

Who's running 225/70-15 tires? Good?
image.png.f80d71e01c0ee3c48435162181a3b9d5.png

Outstanding! I had no idea about this brand. Glad there are still local options for the keen enthusiasts caring for classics out West.

@XframeFX, let us know how they perform and the value if you decide to pull the trigger.

Those 225/70-15s, should've had them put on hold. They were gone when I arrived. Thought he told me they had lots and they do but in 215/75-15s.

So I placed a deposit for a set of five 225/70-15s @ $127 CAD to arrive late June!

For size 235/70-15, hard to find and claims a 3/4" WSW stripe but appears wider in the image - Vitour Galaxy R1. Must be for another market as it's not all season. I like the tread design. Again, no-stock anywhere except here:

image.png.a90145c26608dae28674af124c368b84.png

Vitour Tires Galaxy R1 Passenger Summer Tire

3 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Those 225/70-15s, should've had them put on hold. They were gone when I arrived.

John, good day.

Communication breakdown, somewhere. When I went in on Saturday near noon, Dimetri was with another customer, but he knew right away that it was you he was talking to, and said ya, they have a least four of the size you called about, but the 225-75-15 that I was looking for would be in by May. That's when I texted you. Did they say that they just sold em?   If so, it wasn't me that bought em', most likely it was simply too many different sizes being talked about (has my head spinning...) and as mentioned maybe just a communication breakdown. Good news I guess, they seemed pretty confident that they will have the stock when it arrives in May/June. 

Not sure if I'm real crazy about the wider whitewalls these have, but I'd rather have something relatively new (and cost effective)  than having to go to black walls...

Later,

Hi John and Mike,

Not wanting to rain on your parade. 

Do these Vitour tires suffer from the dreaded 'brownwall' syndrome being complained about so much on the old car forums these days?

You might want to get some assurance from the tire dealer that you can return the tires if the whitewalls go brown. 

Just a thought.

19 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Do these Vitour tires suffer from the dreaded 'brownwall' syndrome

To clear up. Vitour is unobtainum. Unless low profile, all non specialty tires up here are all season. Performance Plus Tire in San Diego appears to have 235/70s that only Vitour has in WSW spec'd at 3/4". The image seems to be more of a 1.5" WSW. There was some reference to Germany when researching Vitour. Doesn't figure because they are priced low ($130 USD/tire)

Mike and I are chasing SureTrac rubber, from Asia, probably China. That and along with a wider than desired WSW in all season no too cool but, at $127 CAD/tire and available locally, a lot better than BSW!

As for brown showing through, yeah, wouldn't surprise me. But they won't be at purchase time, I'll inspect them before the install. Can't do that with an online purchase.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, Riviera63 said:

Bit the bullet and ordered a set of 4 Auburn Premiums from Diamondback. Cost spread over 7-8 years makes me feel better as does the anticipation of whitewalls that actually stay white.  I ordered 225/75's with a 3/4" whitewall. The whitewall width on my current Hankook's is 5/8" and so is my Nexen spare. I realize that the whitewall of the day may have been wider. I prefer the narrower whitewall just as I prefer the larger tires. In my opinion the cars of that era were "under tired" and look better with wider and larger tires as compared to the tires of the day. The shipping was less than they had estimated when I first called and they said 2 1/2 weeks to my door. 

Bill

Bill, I found the 7.10 R 15 ww one inch wide attractive. I just happen to like the radial bias look. Telling the truth, the modern radial tire seems to give me a better ride than the 7.10 R 15.

Turbinator 

On 4/25/2023 at 11:40 PM, XframeFX said:

To clear up. Vitour is unobtainum. Unless low profile, all non specialty tires up here are all season. Performance Plus Tire in San Diego appears to have 235/70s that only Vitour has in WSW spec'd at 3/4". The image seems to be more of a 1.5" WSW. There was some reference to Germany when researching Vitour. Doesn't figure because they are priced low ($130 USD/tire)

Mike and I are chasing SureTrac rubber, from Asia, probably China. That and along with a wider than desired WSW in all season no too cool but, at $127 CAD/tire and available locally, a lot better than BSW!

As for brown showing through, yeah, wouldn't surprise me. But they won't be at purchase time, I'll inspect them before the install. Can't do that with an online purchase.

Do we not clean the white wall enough the brown stains would not show?

it’s true I keep my Riviera in a garage and average 3000-4000 miles per year. It seems I have not had the brown stains on my white walls on my tires. I believe I had the brown stains on ww years ago.

Turbinator

Good day

For what it's worth, my vintage '90's whitewalls are Kelly Springfield 225-75-R15 tires, I've never had any issues with browning, and when I do clean them, I usually also use a SOS pad. Always worked great. Something I don't do often is read my tires. Interestingly enough, and I'm not sure how common this is but embossed on the tires is the following warning...

"SAFETY WARNING - Serious injury may result from...

Explosion of Tire/Rim assembly due to improper mounting...

Only specially trained persons should mount tires"

Something I may have read years ago, but again, how often does one read their tires...

*goes out to read the rubber on the wife's Honda*

Later,

IMG_1420.jpeg

• Like 1

Received my Diamondback tires today. I ordered them late on a Friday afternoon. 2 weeks and 3 days later they were on my doorstep. I am very impressed with their service. I cleaned one of the whitewalls off. The whitewall was exactly the width I specified and the whitewall is thick and sturdy. How nice it is to look at a whitewall that is actually all white. They do specify NOT to use bleach on the whitewall. Simple Green or 409 is their recommendation. 

I can't wait to get them on. However, Mother Nature is not cooperating. We are at 42 degrees right now with wind. Hopefully, the weather will improve so that I can get the car out of hibernation this weekend.

Bill

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Simple Green or 409 is their recommendation. 

Good-to-know, TX for passing that on. The SureTracs I have coming also come with blue protectant.

Hopefully, the weather will improve so that I can get the car out of hibernation this weekend.

When having them mounted, I always know but sometimes forget to add to the Work Order. That is "stick-on" balance weights, no clip-ons for alloy wheels! Although my latest Driver Cars only accept "stick-ons". For the Riviera, longer valve stems in case I choose to snap my wire hubcaps over rough Formula-V wheels.

25C and sunny here in Edmonton at the moment!

Also during tire mounting appointment, I want to look at what series of Formula-V wheels they are before mounting new tires. #802s? Also a good time to measure rim width for regular steel wheels. I'm sure all Formula-V wheels are 6"

Since my Asian Tires are so cheap, and I've decided to change to 225/70-15s, I ordered 5.

My spare Formula-V wheels with old radials have those nasty 2.75" register rings. Balancing vertically on a railroad tie and beating with a Sledge Hammer and HD chisel, hardly a dent! Heavy Gauge Ring with  5 solid welds!

The wheels on my '63 still has register rings but, they seem to be pushed in enough to clear all four 3.5" hubs. Never know what was done on my wheels in the past.

image.png.fc24e533130be6f6e7df5c4a01cfac1d.png

Received my Diamondback tires today. I ordered them late on a Friday afternoon. 2 weeks and 3 days later they were on my doorstep. I am very impressed with their service. I cleaned one of the whitewalls off. The whitewall was exactly the width I specified and the whitewall is thick and sturdy. How nice it is to look at a whitewall that is actually all white. They do specify NOT to use bleach on the whitewall. Simple Green or 409 is their recommendation. 

I can't wait to get them on. However, Mother Nature is not cooperating. We are at 42 degrees right now with wind. Hopefully, the weather will improve so that I can get the car out of hibernation this weekend.

Bill

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

Turn that heater on Bill! We are waiting to see those tyres on the the new turbines..🥶

22 minutes ago, Dundee said:

Turn that heater on Bill! We are waiting to see those tyres on the the new turbines..🥶

Warmer weather this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can get it out then. It is time for some serious car action. New tires, turbines, refurbished steering wheel and a rebuilt/recurved distributor to be installed. I also have 4 sets of refurbished original seat belts that are supposed to ship this week.

Another nice feature of the Diamondback Auburn Premium Tires that I forgot to mention is they put a tread design on them that would replicate the tire tread design of the decade your car was manufactured to make them look more like the original tires. 

Bill

IMG_0146.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

they put a tread design on them that would replicate the tire tread design of the decade your car was manufactured to make them look more like the original tires. 

Diamond Back Rep indicated tread design similar to vintage Michelin-X pattern. Not what I see in Bills image. More like Bias ply of the period, Nice!

Maybe the Rep was referring to Diamond Back "Lincoln Tires". I was asking about that product as well. 

This thread has been helpful.

I finally collected a set of Nexen’s from Discount Tire in Port Huron last weekend that will go on my 65. No where near as classy looking as those Diamondbacks Bill has but the price was right. Will share pics when they are on. 

Looking forward to seeing more pics of wheel and tire setups from the gang here. 

3 hours ago, MrAG Riv said:

I finally collected a set of Nexen’s from Discount Tire in Port Huron last weekend that will go on my 65.

Congrats Andrew. You were the one alerting us on the WSW situation. A simple trip across the bridge from Sarnia huh?

Nexen N'Priz are supposed to be good, all season tread of course. Check the sidewall for country-of-Origin. I am waiting for SureTrac all season tires to arrive from China.

17 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Congrats Andrew. You were the one alerting us on the WSW situation. A simple trip across the bridge from Sarnia huh?

Nexen N'Priz are supposed to be good, all season tread of course. Check the sidewall for country-of-Origin. I am waiting for SureTrac all season tires to arrive from China.

Yup. Placed order online for delivery to the Port Huron store. The store called me with 5 mins of order placement and confirmed my pickup time of 8:45am on Saturday. Drove over and the store refunded the install and disposal fees as this was pickup only. They bagged them and loaded in the grocery getter for me. I declared the purchase at customs on the way back and paid the glorious 12% tax and I was on my way. 

I consider myself fortunate to be close to the border. For us outside the lower 48 it takes extra dedication, patience and $$ to keep these cars in good order. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Craig Balzer said:

I have these on my 65 Riviera Gran Sport.

I believe they were year-specific to that model

20220313_143037.jpg

Hey Craig could we see that shot back away from the car to appreciate the look of those better?

dundee

5 hours ago, Craig Balzer said:

Dundee - here ya go

This first one is not mine - a  photo I found on the web

image.jpeg.f0bc3ac34eab7fffbc14c68005be9a77.jpeg

This is mine. Sorry for the clutter - (turns out I don't have a bunch of photos with the new tires):

image.jpeg.447a3b14ff17927548858caa90f4c8a0.jpeg

You had me going there for a minute with a black car I was sure it was green…nice colour. I am miles away from driving tyres on my car. Short listen this months ago but I think yours look a bit more modern/sporty..

thanks for taking the time 

Dundee

5FB77729-40E1-40E9-AE3A-E29E7469D9E9.png

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2023 at 2:03 PM, XframeFX said:

So I placed a deposit for a set of five 225/70-15s @ $127 CAD to arrive late June!

John, good day.

Although a little early to say late June has come and gone, but have you heard anything on these new skins?

And while I'm here, Happy Canada Day, stoke one on me...

Later,

image.jpeg.8d6720036c4667c9efbabdb730620a9e.jpeg

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

John, good day.

Although a little early to say late June has come and gone, but have you heard anything on these new skins?

And while I'm here, Happy Canada Day, stoke one on me...

Later,

image.jpeg.8d6720036c4667c9efbabdb730620a9e.jpeg

Buffalo has some big fans in Lackawanna to push that smoke back. They're trying.

Some towns are saying no to wind farms

• Haha 3