WW tire options for first gen?

MrAG Riv

9 hours ago, cjp69 said:

Which are correct for a 65, 225/75/15 or 215/75/15?  Or are either one correct? 

The original size 845 is in between a 215 and 225...your call. The 225 looks meaty, the 215 looks "'60's skinny".

Tom Mooney

• Like 2

Here’s a chart that confirms what Tom says about the 8.45 (1965 sizing) falling between that 7.10 and 7.60:(1949-1964 sizing.)  I’ve run most of the equivalents and like the 225/75R15 size best.  215 looks too skinny. 225/70R15 rubs the chassis on full lock.  235 is too big. The next hard part is determining which width sidewall.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-i-convert-old-tire-sizes

On 3/6/2024 at 6:45 PM, RivNut said:

Want a wider white sidewall? Check out this video

That video is one of a few doing this which I discovered in my desperate search for the Riviera up until an ultimate purchase. However, I still have the same dilemma for my other project requiring WWWs but I'll settle for anything but BSWs.

Very peculiar witnessing WSWs being discontinued left, right and center. But now, just discovering Ironman Tires are now available in Canada. Just the one store but, I'm grateful. Nexen has the narrow strip which I wanted for the Riviera and the SureTracs I purchased has the 1.4" WSWs I want for my '57. Reverse situation!

Reasonable Price for a 14" Tire with what appears to be a 3/4" WSW, nothing in the specs:

image.png.717fb823ced93ec46291ac05a6e381be.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

14 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

The original size 845 is in between a 215 and 225...your call. The 225 looks meaty, the 215 looks "'60's skinny".

Tom Mooney

I think I will go with 225's, Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy!

• Like 2

Well, the red car has 215/75's, and the black car 225/75's.  The black car sidewalls look much bigger, but I think that is because the tires are all black versus having a whitewall.  I guess either size will be fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cjp69 said:

Well, the red car has 215/75's, and the black car 225/75's.  The black car sidewalls look much bigger, but I think that is because the tires are all black versus having a whitewall.  I guess either size will be fine.

Depending on how much you drive and what you budget is for gas, the larger tire will make fewer revolutions per mile and should give you better gas mileage.  

This is not applicable for the 1965, but it might be worth considering. In 1963/64, the standard size tire was the 7.10 x 15 which came on a 5.5” steel wheel.  If you ordered the optional 7.60 x 15 tire, it came on a 6” steel wheel.  If you’re running the 1965 Buick Rally wheels, they are 6” wheels.  So in effect, the 225/75R15 would be appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 5:36 PM, XframeFX said:

I insist on premium brand name rubber for my daily drivers and those BF Goodrich tires were that

XFrame- from what Ive been told all tires sold in the US must meet quality standards established by US Dept of Transportation. I have no argument regarding quality of rubber compound in tires.

My tire guy said some of the tires made in the US will not meet some foreign country import quality standards. Could be very well be why US tires do not make it to Canada?

With quality standards established one would think motor vehicle tires would consistent quality across application and brands. Quality standards analogous to our USA STOP SIGN appearance. We get tread design and appearance description from the manufacturers, but nothing ive read about the make up of the rubber compound and steel belting that goes the tires.

Last year I was awarded bad luck and had to purchase 20 new tires. My tire guy told me a buy a lot of tires. I said it seems that way. I buy what Jerry recommends for my vehicle. 
lator gator

Turbinator

On 11/25/2023 at 3:31 PM, XframeFX said:

Here is the old look with narrower WSWs which I prefer

Im with you on what appears to be s 1” WSW tire. I think the width of and config/color of the side wall is what you like. Im mostly a stock guy, but I change up three different tire/ wheel sets on my 63. Kinda like having a great pair of shoes for Sunday School, but no good for dancing in the street.

Turbinator

On 3/8/2024 at 11:20 AM, cjp69 said:

I do not think our first gen Riv came with these tire sizes. I have a set of 7.10 R 15’s on my 63 and got popped 10 points at Hershey for the tire being a radial bias look. The nerve of some people. I shook the Judging Captain’s hand and thanked him for volunteering. We laughed.

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Drive that good looking Riv more often! Have fun.

Turbinator

Funny thing is, all of my old cars ask me to drive them more often, but just not enough nice days in WA for that, lol

4 hours ago, cjp69 said:

just not enough nice days in WA for that, lol

Chris, I'd trade for your climes in a heartbeat 😑 

Hagerty has a killer deal covering our rides with the off season incredibly long!

All Season Tires up here are referred to as 3-Season tires. I don't drive my Riviera in that 4th season.

image.png.d805d2f7cdf156b4e8b52268b61b52fe.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, cjp69 said:

but just not enough nice days in WA for that, lol

The tiny state of Maryland has a reputation big sways in the weather within each season. I do not winterize the two old cars I have. If it is dry and no salt on the roads I go for a ride. Keeping the car free of debris that can harm the body with rust is a chore I seriously look after.

It could be I drive the 64 Chevy Impala SS and 63 Riv too much. Im always after something to get fixed.

• Like 1

I got my WW's from Diamondback tires. They can vulcanize pretty much any width you may want on a modern-day radial tire. Mine are 255/45/18-rear and 245/45/18-front Sumitomo HTR Z5. The look i went for might not be for everybody, but with the black exterior and red interior I wanted that tuxedo look.

As many have said...Diamondbacks aren't cheap, but you are getting a quality tire and they look great!

IMG_3271.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'll throw my 2 cents in, just because I'm tire daft and have purchased lots of tires... I've settled on 225/75/15 for my radials.   I tried a set of 225/70/15 on my LeSabre, they are OK.

These are Vercelli Classics, from eBay.  I like the smooth sidewall vs the Hancooks ribbed and the price is great, especially after buying some J-78 15 Bias ply!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333863711905?fits=Section+Width%3A225|Rim+Diameter%3A15|Aspect+Ratio%3A75&epid=729849391&itmmeta=01HTJSJN9VBKFT11AJHENXQTSS&hash=item4dbbd3f4a1:g:viYAAOSwlZJl9KaG&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8G2c5mBqsxkm2pb3mItB4SHCpknMlF5c%2BjVJW5O3mdBUA1TaM39Gtv9UT4MKq2huN0UBYgJs%2FveUceP2kpd3CW%2Fo7OPkUZrHkjLLRsn4a8ORIAlTYxQNkKQa%2Bgp6Oxvw3kg7t9xNL0eCf5G%2BqKrOTHn3cxNzftw5O82QCymax1tEgs8q3GL%2FHCyNf6RFl8HyXZRJ5mpCjvj2%2FICOguMZIP0GrFtEWETzKr1PDC0woCTjUIbT8FfaC3yvnuefRw8e7POYWC%2B0AdCSKNN8yi%2B%2BEvfbif%2BAejRQwfwYG79yKVSUXMuFqdNg3AlUE0vgE6a95A%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMjNXK2dRj

IMG_1830.jpeg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l960.jpg

Edited by Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel
correct (see edit history)
  • Like 4

In the USA you can get a set of 4 Vercelli "Classic 787" tires from your local WAL-MART store!  Screen grab from Walmart.com below.

I read that these tires are made in Thailand.  I wonder if they'll suffer from the "brownwall" tire blooming problem that affects other makes of whitewall tires.

image.png.b7087db61077f897271d071c15f81a9d.png