video: 1931 Duesenberg Model J1 Hidden for 55 Years!

Reynard

There is no such thing as an unknown Duesenburg model J.  It’s just a question of when they come out, and who is lucky enough to be standing there with the relationship and the right amount of money.

Very very cool car. Although if that’s worth $7 million and I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’m willing to sell you.

• Like 4

Hardly "unrestored" or original , while it's been modified to an extent. While it appears to be a nice starting point, you're 800-1.1 to have it ready for Pebble or any other show.......and three or more years from now with todays restorations. It's a disappearing top car..........so the actual value decent. Putting the fenders back correct, and undoing all the 60's hack work will be very expensive. Also......if it's numbers matching or not will affect the value 20/30 percent.That said, I wouldn't be embarrassed to own it.  The car has obviously been known to J collectors for a long time. Often these type of sleeping cars have well known restorers/dealers/club members brokering and chasing the car for years. Video's like these are often made to hype a car before it's offered publicly for sale.........and that's fine because if I found it I would do the same thing. Only thing for certain, Randy knows the car.......and we will hear more of this car soon. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Everyone's dream find, although I don't think anything indicated what was paid for it, $7figures does not mean $7Million! $1,543,210 is 7 figures. We may never know how much it cost, and it is really none of our business. I like their notion of showing it as a "survivor" of sorts once they get it in runnable order. Hard to believe a guy could buy this in the 1950's (for probably less than $10,000), park it in about 1961 (in this garage since 1967), and hold it for so long without doing a thing to it. Talk about a great investment strategy! 

Unless you are chasing a pebble beach best in class ( could a Murphy disappearing top win best of show? - I doubt it) , you would be better off buying this one next week instead of waiting four years to enjoy it.  

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am23/amelia-island/lots/r0042-1931-duesenberg-model-j-disappearing-top-convertible-coupe-by-murphy/1326359

• Like 1

When I was a kit my dad took me to a big building Near Reno NV(not Harrah's) and it was full of Duesenberg's. Anybody remember this place? At the time there was a 427 shelby cobra in Sacramento CA I was begging him to buy. The asking price was 15K. I was making 50 cents an hour at the time----

• Like 2

Seems like there should be a 60 year old connection between that car and the Pray family. Not like a "found" item. Parked in 1967, that's about 10 years before I bought my Buick Riviera.

Clean it carefully. There may be some of Glen Pray's personal mold parting dust on it.

1 hour ago, Porsche 68 said:

Glad to hear it will be cleaned up and running that it will be a surviver car it deserves it   John

Not a survivor. Just unrestored. I believe "survivor" is reserved for cars that are with original paint, upholstery and chassis finishes. (I could be wrong... been wrong before)

It will indeed be interesting to learn if all the numbers match. If it doesn't, someone here will call it "floor sweepings."

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

Not a survivor. Just unrestored. I believe "survivor" is reserved for cars that are with original paint, upholstery and chassis finishes. (I could be wrong... been wrong before)

It will indeed be interesting to learn if all the numbers match. If it doesn't, someone here will call it "floor sweepings."

I believe it is a matching car.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I know the last of the J's had skirted fenders, were they made new that way or were the skirted sections added to the normal fenders made years before. How well was the mated area finished when new on the back side out of view? 

Good question Bob.   You would think that was the plan.  However, the later fenders are missing the crest on the tip of the fender that the earlier open fenders had.  Also, the shape doesn't seem as "swoopy" to me.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Just think of the time and money that will be spent to get to look as good or better than this one. 

DSCF6200.JPG

The long-wheelbase roadsters look a little funny. Too much nothing going on aft of the driver's compartment. You could put another full door in that space, without even coming close to the fender.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I know the last of the J's had skirted fenders, were they made new that way or were the skirted sections added to the normal fenders made years before. How well was the mated area finished when new on the back side out of view? 

One of the Duesenbergs that Jack Passey owned had the updated fenders on it. I would have to check his book to be certain of the year, but I think it was either a 1931 or 1932 phaeton (I don't offhand recall the coach builder?). Jack was telling me that the car had been sent back to the factory along about 1934 for the fender upgrade, and that material was added around the fenders to make the styling changes. Although I did have his permission to do so, I never did run my fingers around the backside to feel how they were done. Jack had told me the workmanship on the backside wasn't all that nice, and I took his word for that.

Edit. I meant to add that some amount of material would obviously need to have been removed from the original fender to make a smooth surface where the new material was added. Shrinking the beads down would have added considerable distortion.

Personally, I think the updated fenders ruin the overall look of the car. However, part of that is simply I prefer earlier cars. Frankly (I know this will offend some?), I would take a model A Duesenberg over a model J Duesenberg any day! But that is just silly me.

On the other hand? Such updates ARE a part of a given car's history. And that Duesenberg did such upgrades is part of automotive history! So there are good arguments for keeping the fenders as they appear.

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Personally, I think the updated fenders ruin the overall look of the car. However, part of that is simply I prefer earlier cars. Frankly (I know this will offend some?), I would take a model A Duesenberg over a model J Duesenberg any day! But that is just silly me.

On the other hand? Such updates ARE a part of a given car's history. And that Duesenberg did such upgrades is part of automotive history! So there are good arguments for keeping the fenders as they appear.

If we are talking about Model J Duesenberg's and their life span of 1929 - 1939 it is no different than any INDY 500 car that ran 1929- 1939 the appearance changed, at the discursion of the owner. The restorer has to option of picking any year he choose to restore it to, the earliest years are most times the best. 

13 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

The long-wheelbase roadsters look a little funny. Too much nothing going on aft of the driver's compartment. You could put another full door in that space, without even coming close to the fender.

True, Put that photo was within arms reach. How have J Roadster doors survived over the years, are conventional front hinged stronger than the rear hinged style? 

It’s J-346, sitting in Indiana since the early 60’s. I have the owners name who left it to his daughter. Numbers match, but it’s a long, long way from a survivor or unrestored car. Figure 1.5 on the high side to restore it to Pebble standards. Not a BOS car by any means. Fenders front and rear and some other issues were hacked. As far as numbers getting tossed around…………a finished high point car would be in the very high 4’s to mid 5’s depending on if wood was replaced, reproduction fenders, reproduction tail lights, reproduction bumpers……you get the idea. Current value is subjective………Since it’s new to the market, and not showed for fifty years it’s a premium…….but then deduct for the modifications and condition. I call it a wash. Clearly it’s worth more than one or two million. After that any number between 2.5 and 3.5 would be the current ballpark. Watch the auction at Amelia. Depending on the car for sale there, you can get a very accurate number on the project car here. And, by the way, there are only about five shops in the country that have a prayer getting the car back together correctly………and they are very busy, so it will be years befor you have it on the field.

Here is an identical car, original with 37k on the clock that I was a caretaker for about five years. Did a bunch of service on it, and drove it thousands of miles. It was a great car, and is now owned by a wonderful collector who uses it regularly. I miss the car, but I really miss my dog more.

A774D906-7104-4DE2-898E-0973D9B64F1A.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I want one of those ugly LWB disappearing top roadsters…………I am on a budget you know!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jp1gt said:

When I was a kit my dad took me to a big building Near Reno NV(not Harrah's) and it was full of Duesenberg's. Anybody remember this place? At the time there was a 427 shelby cobra in Sacramento CA I was begging him to buy. The asking price was 15K. I was making 50 cents an hour at the time----

You were in Imperial Palace in Las Vegas……they had 60 Model J’s at one time.

• Like 1

I guess as a poor slob that will never be able to play in this sandbox, I would be happy to have that car as is. Mechanically sound and enjoy the heck out of it. Let the alterations (as bad as they look) tell the story of the car. BUT, I surmise the league of buyers in this club will have it shipped immediately off to a resto shop. Original configuration, definitely one of the most beautiful cars I have seen.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, West Peterson said:

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

I want one of those ugly LWB disappearing top roadsters…………I am on a budget you know!

I said a little funny looking... I did not say they were inexpensive.

Well, here's a fine mess I have gotten into. I wanted to check my 1964 Elbert Duesenberg book to see if it was referred to and the book is not where it is supposed to be. Now there are about 100 old car books on the dinning room table and my wife just asked "Are you looking for something?"

And it is worse. A few months ago I decided to keep my books on the shelves horizontally. I already do it with my shop manuals. So I guess, with 25 days until Spring, that project has kicked off. Oh, and a few more lineal feet of shelving as long as....

Amazing the ripples one seemingly unrelated event can put into motion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Well, here's a fine mess I have gotten into. I wanted to check my 1964 Elbert Duesenberg book to see if it was referred to and the book is not where it is supposed to be. Now there are about 100 old car books on the dinning room table and my wife just asked "Are you looking for something?"

And it is worse. A few months ago I decided to keep my books on the shelves horizontally. I already do it with my shop manuals. So I guess, with 25 days until Spring, that project has kicked off. Oh, and a few more lineal feet of shelving as long as....

Amazing the ripples one seemingly unrelated event can put into motion.

It is not in the Elbert book, but it might be referenced in Fred Roe's book.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jp1gt said:

Nope, it was Reno

Then it was Bob Lee's private collection. It's the only other big collection in Reno.

• Like 1

I can't help thinking that I feel a little sad for the guy who has owned the car all these years but never got a chance to enjoy it. Sure, it's fun to see a small investment appreciate,  but would have been more fun to be the man behind the wheel when the words "He drives a Duesenberg " were spoken.  

• Like 5