If your old car....back east here don't start this morning, stay home.

Dandy Dave

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

What a difference 24 hours makes!!  -8 yesterday, Barely did 1/4 mile walk with the dog, and hibernated!!  Then a warmup - took the Packard out today for a little air around the neighborhood.  Maybe 30 or 40 minutes, got things warmed up a bit.  50 degrees and dry roads!! ( Fb pals, we posted a video of our ride today, itching for Spring!!) 😊

FB_IMG_1675634500264.jpg

Well since the Alpine is down waiting on a carb kit I took my daughter for a ride on the trails with the '99 Arctic Cat snowmobile.   She won't ride on the Alpine.   I think she is afraid of it. 

Tons of snow and plenty of ice so nothing old coming out on our roads for a long time.  I will say it was quite a bit more pleasant today.  The daughter and I sledded down train style on big tubes, over the sledding trail several times and we weren't freezing.

Will be nice when it looks like your place around here again. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, DFeeney said:

We had a bad fire in  the bathroom here  last Winter.   The flames were so hot in melted the  Siding on the back of the house.

Moral of the story: Build the outhouse further away from the main house or cut back on the ghost peppers on taco Tuesday. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got up to 57 today here in Southern IL FINALLY.It was so cold the other night we seen a big jack rabbit push start'n another one.

Glad that wind finally laid down.It got so windy one of our Hens laid the same egg three times.

• Haha 1

• Dandy Dave changed the title to If your old car....back east here don't start this morning, stay home.
20 hours ago, rocketraider said:

😳 Thought it was summertime Down Under?!

So maybe them tractors were smart like mules? A horse will work itself to death. A mule will either stop work or in some cases refuse to even start.

Back before fuel injection and computer-controlled engines, my habit in really cold weather was always to spin an engine over a few times and then set the choke so it would start. Got a little oil moving and let me know the water pump wasn't frozen. Now the computer and EFI won't let me do that. Fires right up to whatever fast idle speed the magic box says it needs.

Good thing I pay attention to antifreeze concentration, no?

My dad said that about mules all the time. He trained a lot of draft animals to drive. He also said that a mule was better suited for work in the south. I remember being in New Orleans years ago. They had wagon rides there. My wife wanted to go on one so we did. A lot of folks were saying how much they liked the "Horses," I had to laugh and asked the driver when the ride was over, "How many folks do you come across everyday that have no idea those are mules. Not horses." He said, " I let them think what they want or I'd be hoarse at the end of the day explaining the difference." 

Keep that antifreeze good, thick, and smooth so it sticks to your ribs I say. 🤠 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Now you have to worry about the Brine,  which seems to do nothing.  It can be a 50 degree day without a cloud in the sky,  but if they are calling for snow in a couple of days they go out and Brine the roads.  I said if it really worked ,  when you got a light dusting,  saying a 1/4 inch or so,  it would be melted in the streaks the brine left but it doesn't.  Get caught behind one or have to go down a road they freshly brined and it's like driving on the wettest winter day possible.  Sucks for old car guys trying to get that last nice day in before the first storms in the fall.  You never know when or where they are going to do it.

I've noticed the few roads they don't brine,  seem absolutely no different than the ones they do during or after the storm. 

Yeah. I've seen the streaks in the roads around here also. I won't drive the antiques in that either.

13 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Moral of the story: Build the outhouse further away from the main house or cut back on the ghost peppers on taco Tuesday. 

13 hours ago, DFeeney said:

We had a bad fire in  the bathroom here  last Winter.   The flames were so hot it melted the  Siding on the back of the house.

Funny, I was just tellin a feller yesterday how all the summer heat gets stored up in the firewood. For every year a tree grows it keeps storing up more heat. And in the winter it holds it in until the tree get big and old and ends up firewood. And then when that summer heat is needed it releases it with the help of a match in the fire place or wood stove. 🌞 Now if we could only get some snow and ice to last the same way for the summer when its swelterin hot. But it don't work that way as that frozen water don't keep like the summer heat stored up in that there firewood. 😉 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dave, you need to build an ice house and use the sawdust from cutting up all that summer heat wood to pack around the ice so it can release it’s either cold on you in the summer. Then you would be in better shape. Cutting wood and then cutting ice you wouldn’t have time to sit around drinking beer! 
dave s. 

ps- I’m going to suggest that to your wife because you wouldn’t think about adopting me so I could learn to use all of your tools. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With a long awaited winter event scheduled in March we headed down to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum to do some prep. work which included firing up the Lombard Log Haulers. It's always wonderful to work on antique vehicles but its an absolute privilege to enjoy working and running them in such a beautiful location. However, -8 degrees (-22C) was a little on the brisk side for late February especially when your working in an unheated shed.

Amazing location, wonderful people and when your working you don't notice the cold right?

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

With a long awaited winter event scheduled in March we headed down to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum to do some prep. work which included firing up the Lombard Log Haulers. It's always wonderful to work on antique vehicles but its an absolute privilege to enjoy working and running them in such a beautiful location. However, -8 degrees (-22C) was a little on the brisk side for late February especially when your working in an unheated shed.

Amazing location, wonderful people and when your working you don't notice the cold right?

Thanks for sharing that Terry. May have to come and see you folks sometime.

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

Thanks for sharing that Terry. May have to come and see you folks sometime.

Dave,

You are welcome to visit anytime. Give me a heads-up and we will make sure you have a great visit. We would also welcome any Antique car groups that may be touring. Again, give us some lead time and we can make it happen. Autumn on the museum grounds is spectacular!

Here is the schedule of events as it stands now:

Winter Fun in the Woods

Saturday, March 11

10am to 2pm

$5 each 3 years and up

Alewife Day

Saturday, May 20

10am to 3pm 

$10 adults, $5 kids, members free

Children’s Days

May 25 & 26 and June 1 & 2

9am to 1pm $8 each

Registration required.

Summer at Leonard’s Mills

Saturday, June 17

10am to 3pm

Heavy Metal

Saturday, July 29

10am to 3pm

Living History Days

October 7 & 8, 10am to 3pm each day

$15 adults, $5 kids, members free

• Thanks 1

We got 13 and 1/2 inches when I measured it yesterday at about 11AM.   It was lighter when I went out and shoveled the first 4 inches at 2 AM,  but got heavier so I assume there was some compaction before I took my reading.  

We have some pretty good snow banks now and a warm up right before the storm turned the ground soft so I tore the crap out of the drives and some of the lawn even being careful.    Still more cleanup to do today, then I have to fix the kids sledding run and pack the wife's walking trails. 

We are ready for spring now. 

• Like 1

I just got back from packing the wife's trails.  What a job.  Unfortunately my Old skidoo is down, waiting it's turn to get new sliders and it's not running quite right still. 

I used my 99 arctic cat instead and boy buried it really bad once. Being a long track it's even worse to try to manhandle.  The trail has a sloped s curve in it and the snow is very unresponsive to say the least.  I had to walk back to the house, quite a haul to get the shovel.   The snow is so deep and a slightly packy consistency it feels more like riding a jet ski than a snowmobile and you know if you come to an actual stop,  you will be stuck.  Ran the rest of the trails , standing up and leaning like i was riding a motorcycle as with the deep snow build up and not exactly even terrain she felt like she was going to go over in a few places.  

Yup definitely ready for spring and a Sow cat of some sort for next winter.  Maybe one of the Bombardier tracked sidewalk plow machines from the 60's or 70's. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Yup definitely ready for spring and a Sow cat of some sort for next winter.  Maybe one of the Bombardier tracked sidewalk plow machines from the 60's or 70's. 

This one is for sale in Southern Maine: 

"1988 Bombardier groomer. 4 cylinder Ford Pinto motor. ($11,500)"

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/687687705758317?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A4d4abdcb-78c5-4281-8271-c3e83fe2de8b

Product photo of Everything Must Go

Product photo of Everything Must Go

• Like 1

I saw that one.  This one just popped up as well.  No plow and they are asking $7,000.    I don't really need it to plow with,  though I do have a basically brand new Boss V plow that came with my Kubota Side by side,  that I will never use to plow.   I have my tractor set up with a western plow so it just sits in the garage.    Would be a good combination for one of these machines. 

Good thing it's over in NH or I might be going to look at it.  From what I have seen for sale.  this one seems like the best deal. 

6 cylinder Chrysler rebuilt engine. Standard transmission with new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel. Completely stripped to bare metal & repainted

333299030_1897417183949992_5669327225262437036_n.jpg

333063914_1129442061058028_7283809143091126334_n.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I saw that one.  This one just popped up as well.  No plow and they are asking $7,000.    I don't really need it to plow with,  though I do have a basically brand new Boss V plow that came with my Kubota Side by side,  that I will never use to plow.   I have my tractor set up with a western plow so it just sits in the garage.    Would be a good combination for one of these machines. 

Good thing it's over in NH or I might be going to look at it.  From what I have seen for sale.  this one seems like the best deal. 

6 cylinder Chrysler rebuilt engine. Standard transmission with new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel. Completely stripped to bare metal & repainted

333299030_1897417183949992_5669327225262437036_n.jpg

333063914_1129442061058028_7283809143091126334_n.jpg

That's a nice looking machine and a good price too! There was one on Facebook Market Place in Patten, Maine that was listed a week ago - wonderful condition but rather dear at $15,000.00