Amphicar’s at my favorite watering hole.

edinmass

Fun day for a drive in Southern Florida…………150 miles so far today, and bumped into the local land yacht club………this is right next to Mar-A-Lago………..there’s a bar stool there with my name on it…….notice my ride in the background.

D7B62700-6FA1-4B7B-B0E5-0D3A6CA09111.jpeg

77069650-D963-485C-8507-86E33A5C9C80.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 15

Put tires on it yesterday, and the shackles flipped in the rear. I will jack it up after lunch to get it to sit correctly. Good eye! 👍

PS- I didn’t install the tires………and yes, I noticed it right away, buy had my good clothes on.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Are you saying you are going to take your good clothes off in the parking lot of Flanigan’s to fix it. Ed surely you didn’t consume enough at lunch to be that silly!  It would even be a bit over the top for a first time event at such a prestigious place as that.  Have mercy on us. 
dave s 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SC38dls said:

Are you saying you are going to take your good clothes off in the parking lot of Flanigan’s to fix it. Ed surely you didn’t consume enough at lunch to be that silly!  It would even be a bit over the top for a first time event at such a prestigious place as that.  Have mercy on us. 
dave s 

Careful Dave, or I will post a photo of me in my Speedo! 😛

And that’s not a threat, it’s a promise! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, edinmass said:

"..., and the shackles flipped in the rear."

Ed:

During the 1960's-1970's when I was a teen, guys would reverse the shackles to hike the rear of the car up for clearance so they could run chromed mag wheels and wide tires.  It was considered "cool", gave their cars a forward rake like dragstrip cars.   I've seen so many cars that had that done, I can pick it out a mile away.  Come to think of it, there is still one perpetual 'teenager' who still does it...

Steve

Tom’s as strange as they come in the hobby………..a nice guy, and a used car dealer. As a matter of fact, they wrote a song about our beloved Tom……….here it is. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I remember many years ago driving down a two lane road after dark through a fairly ritzy area not too far from my home.  I was following a small car and kept wondering what the two big white objects under the rear bumper were. As we came to a stop light I realized it was an Amphicar. Hadn’t seen one for decades in real life. Last time was in the mid sixties at a local city’s harbor on Lake Michigan. He went one way and I the other but I smiled all the way home.

I traded into a not so good but functional Amphi years ago.

Not much of a car, not much of a boat.

But gets admiration from both camps.

The Willamette River runs thru my town, and they run boat races over the Memorial weekend every year.

The Amphicar was a real hit at the boat races, I used to take the announcer around the coarse during the breaks and he would interview me from the river.

Really fun stuff and would love to stumble into another someday.

Not much of a car and not much of a boat is still understated. Its a POS of both.

The Father of a friend back in the day had an Amphicar. One of his frequently driven routes was along a good size river. On nice days when he wasn't in a hurry he would run down a boat ramp and a reasonable speed and run the river for a few miles then back out another ramp. On more than one occasion the police were called for a car that had run into the river.

• Haha 1

Then why do they command so much money???:D

OK, money compared to other small cars, boat are in a different world of money.:blink: 

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

Thanks for posting. A few of these are good friends from Leesburg (462 mile round trip to where picture was taken). They drove them there, no trailers. Amphicar’s (designed late 50’s) aren’t as bad as many think it they are well sorted out however many of them are a POS as many owners don’t maintain them and running 65mph is impossible and dangerous. Fun in the water, just don’t be in a hurry.

We are loading ours up and heading to Florida and joining them for 6 weeks in Leesburg where we get together every year and have a lot of fun as there are many in the area. A few pictures from last year where there were 22 of us.

IMG_0047.JPG

22 Amphis Swiming.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ron Green said:

Thanks for posting. A few of these are good friends from Leesburg (462 mile round trip to where picture was taken). They drove them there, no trailers. Amphicar’s (designed late 50’s) aren’t as bad as many think it they are well sorted out however many of them are a POS as many owners don’t maintain them and running 65mph is impossible and dangerous. Fun in the water, just don’t be in a hurry.

We are loading ours up and heading to Florida and joining them for 6 weeks in Leesburg where we get together every year and have a lot of fun as there are many in the area. A few pictures from last year where there were 22 of us.

IMG_0047.JPG

22 Amphis Swiming.JPG

Ron, I am not on Facebook that often but lo and behold there are you and your wife in a TikTok video at the Amphicar get together.  That was a big surprise!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, edinmass said:

Fun day for a drive in Southern Florida…………150 miles so far today, and bumped into the local land yacht club………this is right next to Mar-A-Lago………..there’s a bar stool there with my name on it…….notice my ride in the background.

D7B62700-6FA1-4B7B-B0E5-0D3A6CA09111.jpeg

77069650-D963-485C-8507-86E33A5C9C80.jpeg

That bar stool should be known as your office chair. It just so happens you have one of the largest and longest desk in your part of Florida. At least that’s what my excuse was.

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Ron, I am not on Facebook that often but lo and behold there are you and your wife in a TikTok video at the Amphicar get together.  That was a big surprise!

I have a comment that is KILLING me, but since I'm sober, I shall behave myself! 😇

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

The Tucker club, and the Amphicar club should hold joint meets.

I would love that however we would probably drive them crazy as many in our group can't sit still for long even though a lot have interesting car collections, but the amphi's are used and abused. I am glad Ed posted that picture as a few are very good friends and one brings a steam car to Hershey, he even drove his Amphicar from Cleveland Ohio to Leesburg Florida last year. You run into some interesting people and things with these cars. I have enough unique pictures to probably do a book.  

hotdog.jpg

ph.jpg

carrier[1].jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Dandy Dave you are going to get and should be banned from ever posting another picture of yourself without being fully dress. You should take Ed’s example and refrain from going too far out of respect for the forum members well being. 
dave s 

ps I may just change my name after seeing that! 

pps don’t you know it’s dangerous working in a garage not fully dressed in protective clothing? Very bad for those watching too! 

I never wore a speedo for anyones viewing likes or dislikes. I wore one because it was comfortible for me. At the time I did not know it, but I knew my body ached all over and just the weight of cloths hurt. I can't wear tight anything, or heavy coats or shoes. I need the freedom to be able to move as well as I can and could. I never had a problem working in the shop other than my movement is limited. Most of the time it was better with less because I did not get caught in everything. I finally got a diagnosis of why I hurt all over so bad. PsA. along with Ostioarthritis. I did not ask for this autoimune disorder but I'm stuck with it. Sucks being me. 

PS. I guess you will stop wanting me to adopt you now and show you my machine shop and how it works . 🙃

Now back to Amphicars.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 8E45E said:

There is one with zero miles on it in the Canadian Automotive Museum in Oshawa.

A friend from Chicago bought a 35 mile one here in PA years ago. Sisters owned two of them and they only used the one (250 miles) so the 35 mile one sat (parked in front of the other). He found a for sale ad in a 10 year old magazine, called the number and bought it as she still had it.

One amphi in Ed’s picture is from Orillia Canada. He had a get together in Canada and talked the dock-master into letting seven of us go through a ship-lock. I broke a headlight trying to parallel park in the water. Wife was pissed as she can’t swim. Always exciting with this group! Don’t want to hijack this thread so this will be my last post.

Amphi's @ Lock 3.JPG

Copy of Lock Drained.JPG

• Like 5

Ron....post as much as you like...........seldom do people realize the cars are actually used.......as they should be. I like the photo of the lock.....it's my kind of sick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ron Green said:

A friend from Chicago bought a 35 mile one here in PA years ago. Sisters owned two of them and they only used the one (250 miles) so the 35 mile one sat (parked in front of the other). He found a for sale ad in a 10 year old magazine, called the number and bought it as she still had it.

One amphi in Ed’s picture is from Orillia Canada. He had a get together in Canada and talked the dock-master into letting seven of us go through a ship-lock. I broke a headlight trying to parallel park in the water. Wife was pissed as she can’t swim. Always exciting with this group! Don’t want to hijack this thread so this will be my last post.

Amphi's @ Lock 3.JPG

Copy of Lock Drained.JPG

Top pic looks like a disney land ride!

I know there are brass tours, classic tours, and local chapter tours, but I would have to say it looks like the amphicar guys are having the most fun!!

12 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Top pic looks like a disney land ride!

I know there are brass tours, classic tours, and local chapter tours, but I would have to say it looks like the amphicar guys are having the most fun!!

I go on a lot of brass tours and Model T tours, and I have a blast.  But I think you might be right!

40 minutes ago, MochetVelo said:

Does the Amphicar odometer turn when it's in the water?

I'm guessing it has an hours meeter on it...........

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ron Green said:

What makes you think that you are hijacking this thread?  We ARE discussing Amphicars.

Craig

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Yes we have fun. You will never see a static car show at one of our get togethers. Meets (swim ins) are held all over the USA plus some in Europe and Canada. The one car in Ed’s picture was shipped to the Netherlands for a swim in last year.

Here is a picture of our homemade drive in at Mount Dora Florida. Unfortunately it didn’t go to well as the cars kept hitting each other. Then there was this alligator thing at night. The other is a picture of a poor guy just wanting to get a photo of one entering the water, little did he know.

Drive-in.jpg

BillySoaksAmphipoda.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MochetVelo said:

Does the Amphicar odometer turn when it's in the water?

No speedometer in the water. You take it out of gear and switch over to the water transmission (separate shifter) which is attached to the rear of the land transmission. Transmissions are special built for Amphicar by Hermes (Porsche) and expensive (NOS 16K / used and rebuilt = a lot). Mercedes suspension pieces.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:38 AM, Ron Green said:

A few of these are good friends... Fun in the water, just don’t be in a hurry.

One of our AACA region's most memorable events

was when Ron Green and a friend piloted their

Amphicars at our summer lakeside picnic.  Plenty

of members took rides in the boat-cars, and we 

even offered rides to a few enthusiastic children

who were onlookers at the dock!  Pictures below:

Car club 2016 picnic (9).JPG

Car club 2016 picnic (10).JPG

Car club 2016 picnic (14).JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

There cars get a bad rap for being a POS from many reading old reports or who have never experienced being in one and being around a bunch of knuckleheads that love them. They are a maintenance nightmare if you use and abuse them but have a heart like no other vehicle if well sorted out. Almost impossible to sink.

Nothing compares to being out for a drive and seeing a nice place to jump in the water and do some exploring. Or pull up on a rock in the middle of a lake or parking on an island in the middle of a body of water.

20140327_132117_resized.jpg

Rock IMG_0005.JPG

• Like 4