What are the Best Looking Prewar FOUR-DOOR Sedans? Custom and Production.

alsancle

I think that the five passenger sedans with blind rear quarters of the 'twenties and 'thirties were particularly good looking. They went by different names - club sedans, town sedans, landau sedans, club Berline, etc. Here are some pictures, gleaned from the web. The first is a Hudson Super Six, with a Murphy body, their "Landau Sedan". The second is a 1929 Cadillac Club Sedan. The third is a 1929 Pierce "Club Berline". The fourth is a 1932 Marmon Club sedan.

1928 Hudson Murphy.png

1929 CadillacTown Sedan (Fisher m-man).png

1929 Pierce Club Berline.png

1932 Marmon 16.png

Edited by pmhowe (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I am not one to take many photos of current cars or look to see what I have someplace in that factor, so most if not all what you see from me and have been seeing is based on period material I have, photographs, sales materail and periodicals of the era. Here is a Stutz from 1934 - look in Crankshaft magazine #5 for additional period photos of the same car. Body is by Lancefield in England where this photo was taken. Stutz was still actively selling cars in its London dealership when the factory was closing up in Indianapolis because a number of chassis that had been made and shipped to England were either still on a ship on their way there or in England but without coachwork. Chassis of American cars shipped to Europe were not considered complete cars so the import duty/tax was less, they waited to get to Europe to then see the bodies designed and fitted as well as lamps, fenders etc depending upon the make. ( often the same applied to cars coming from Europe this way - in chassis form for less $ rather then pay for import of a complete car, all arriving mostly at the port of NY,  then being distributed to assorted coach builders here  - Fleetwood did a lot of bodies for Isotta Fraschini)  So many stories ..................so much period material that has never been used in articles.

STUTZside1934002.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, pmhowe said:

I think that the five passenger sedans with blind rear quarters of the 'twenties and 'thirties were particularly good looking. They went by different names - club sedans, town sedans, landau sedans, club Berline, etc. Here are some pictures, gleaned from the web. The first is a Hudson Super Six, with a Murphy body, their "Landau Sedan". The second is a 1929 Cadillac Club Sedan. The third is a 1929 Pierce "Club Berline". The fourth is a 1932 Marmon Club sedan.

1928 Hudson Murphy.png

1929 CadillacTown Sedan (Fisher m-man).png

1929 Pierce Club Berline.png

1932 Marmon 16.png

I really like all the club sedans of this era. 733 Packard. 
image.jpeg.1f871fb931d737c972bc8e52a87a0378.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• West Peterson changed the title to What are the Best Looking Prewar FOUR-DOOR Sedans? Custom and Production.

Newly acquired RR 20/25 by friends that we bought the 40 Packard from.  Since he put it on fb I figure they should be ok with this.  

Brits of that period could do some snazzy sedans.  Low, razer edge rooflines, sunroofs, small rear windows.  Near cars, not many with wide whites but they do seem to like lights and badges.

FB_IMG_1671118607725.jpg

• Like 4

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Simplicity and elegance combined. The Briggs bodied Model Al "Leaherback" four-door sedan. 

Terry

Model A leaherback sedan.jpg

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Love this MG, I think it is a Full Classic as well.

The 'SA'! 

Triumph also made a nice saloon car as well in that area, the 'Gloria'  https://www.pre-1940triumphmotorclub.org/register-2/gloria/

https://www.vintageandclassiccars.co.uk/cars/item/408-triumph-gloria-vitesse.html

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

I am not one to take many photos of current cars or look to see what I have someplace in that factor, so most if not all what you see from me and have been seeing is based on period material I have, photographs, sales materail and periodicals of the era. Here is a Stutz from 1934 - look in Crankshaft magazine #5 for additional period photos of the same car. Body is by Lancefield in England where this photo was taken. Stutz was still actively selling cars in its London dealership when the factory was closing up in Indianapolis because a number of chassis that had been made and shipped to England were either still on a ship on their way there or in England but without coachwork. Chassis of American cars shipped to Europe were not considered complete cars so the import duty/tax was less, they waited to get to Europe to then see the bodies designed and fitted as well as lamps, fenders etc depending upon the make. ( often the same applied to cars coming from Europe this way - in chassis form for less $ rather then pay for import of a complete car, all arriving mostly at the port of NY,  then being distributed to assorted coach builders here  - Fleetwood did a lot of bodies for Isotta Fraschini)  So many stories ..................so much period material that has never been used in articles.

STUTZside1934002.jpg

There was an extensive article on this car by Keith Marvin in The Classic Car in the mid 1980s.   I believe he owned it a short time in the 1950s or 60s.   I saw it in Frank Heiss’s shop in 1984.   It’s now restored in two shades of green and was at Pebble 10 years ago for the Stutz Centennial.   

23 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Highly unusual Franklin sedan. Note the splash aprons and split windshield. Body by Walker.

2009-SH_0029.jpeg?time=1673441230

2009-SH_0031.jpeg?time=1673441230

2009-SH_0036.jpeg?time=1673441230

Nobody asked for comments so I'll just smile and move on...

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, K8096 said:

There was an extensive article on this car by Keith Marvin in The Classic Car in the mid 1980s.   I believe he owned it a short time in the 1950s or 60s.   I saw it in Frank Heiss’s shop in 1984.   It’s now restored in two shades of green and was at Pebble 10 years ago for the Stutz Centennial.   

50 minutes ago, K8096 said:

That green Stutz sedan that was at Pebble Beach has a body by John Charles , this one is by Lancefield.  Compare the photos, two different cars.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

A friend has this wonderful 1934 Buick Club Sedan, very low mileage, 100% original car including original paint and interior, purrs like a kitten.

IMG_5270.JPG

The 1934 (and '35) Buicks had the best looking front end of all of the GM makes at the time.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, edinmass said:

Gentlemen, sedans have four doors………not trying to be critical, but unless it’s a Brunn double entery saloon, it must have four doors to be a sedan.

Reminds me of recent discussion on a local facebook page where some were quite vociferous in their contention that coupe HAD to have only two doors. Try telling that to the various, mostly European, makers in recent years who have produced four door coupes. Coupe simply comes from the French word cut - it has nothing to do with door numbers. I guess you could argue the same with sedans, unless as you have now done, specify four doors.

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

Gentlemen, sedans have four doors………not trying to be critical, but unless it’s a Brunn double entery saloon, it must have four doors to be a sedan.

Well, dang.   I read somewhere the SAE disagree.  Something about size?    33 cubic feet, more or less?

Just saying.

Ben

40 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Speaking in tongues again, Ed?  Or is that the Crown Royal language?

Reverting back to my Yiddish they taught me in CCD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, I think I've finally got this straight:

Prewar - check

Four doors - check

Good looking - check

But not early '30s and the images are in color...

Here is my 1941 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser (6 cylinder) parked next to a series 60 Cadillac of similar vintage on a Glidden tour.  Raymond Loewy copied well from the Cadillac! A 1941 Studebaker President (8 cylinder) shared the same body from cowl back but had a longer nose for the straight 8, an even better match to the Cadillac.

114027896_1941StudebakerCommanderCadillacseries60front.JPG.ecd5e36cb33b9477c3bbab71ea79695e.JPG

1941 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser and Series 60 Cadillac - front view

1320902630_1941Cadillac-Barrows1941Studebaker.jpg.c10dc4f52df7f17699fb3513d8dc06a8.jpg

Series 60 Cadillac and 1941 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser - rearview

1970224640_studebaker1941PresidentLandCruise.jpg.520716a40f92c19e88d8f09f687c40ed.jpg

1941 Studebaker President Land Cruiser with straight 8 engine, long hood.

• Like 10