Garage related information

Buick35

I know this isn't really car related but I found a tool box that someone set out for the trash pickup. It's not in too bad of a shape.I took it home and cleaned it up some and got the bottom drawer to open. I can't find any numbers or anything to identify its make it age. Just wondered if anyone could help.Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

I know this isn't really car related but I found a tool box that someone set out for the trash pickup. It's not in too bad of a shape.I took it home and cleaned it up some and got the bottom drawer to open. I can't find any numbers or anything to identify its make it age. Just wondered if anyone could help.Thanks.

Not without photos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Riveted handles suggest a 50s or 60s RemLine which was a good quality middle price range box. See if there's "Advertising Metal Display Co" stamped into it anywhere.

Cool box. Treat it to some love. Or just lube the drawer slides and enjoy as is. But it sure would look nice restored.

Not car related? It holds tools. We use tools on our old cars. Ergo, car related!👨‍🔧

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is a picture of the Remline chest on its Remline base. And a cheapie two drawer midsection.

This is an example of Flat Surface Syndrome. My wife came out that day and saw the mess. It was only a couple of days after her beagle had been thrown out of obedience school. She had a tough day, she kept muttering about being on Columbus' fourth ship, the one that went over the edge. Seems OK today.

010.JPG.6da3a7e71c8ac3cb124ac48dc9e27f62.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

As can most of us.

You know you're in trouble when the stuff you set down on the horizontal surfaces starts to grow vertically.☺️

That's normal!  This morning I had to use my truck tailgate as a work surface to spread out assortments of o-rings for a friend to match up what he needed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

This is an example of Flat Surface Syndrome.

I have occasionally (well, maybe more often than that) used the bench-high top of our chest freezer as a handy spot to place tools or parts to my wife's aggrivation and consternation. The last time this happened, the offending accumulation was placed (dumped?) on the floor near the freezer. I have since been warned that things on top of the freezer might just "fall" behind it if she were to open the lid and "forget" to remove them first.

• Haha 2

What on a Crosley does that big fat wrench fit?!😳

Buick35, what are your plans for this survivor tool chest? Agree w/ TerryB it may be a machinist's chest. Possibly a Craftsman or even a Snap-on as they also used chromed riveted handles and AMD Co made some Craftsman boxes for Sears.

9 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Buick35, what are your plans for this survivor tool chest? Agree w/ TerryB it may be a machinist's chest. Possibly a Craftsman or even a Snap-on as they also used chromed riveted handles and AMD Co made some Craftsman boxes for Sears.

I was going to give it to my son in law for Christmas.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Here is a picture of the Remline chest on its Remline base. And a cheapie two drawer midsection.

This is an example of Flat Surface Syndrome. My wife came out that day and saw the mess. It was only a couple of days after her beagle had been thrown out of obedience school. She had a tough day, she kept muttering about being on Columbus' fourth ship, the one that went over the edge. Seems OK today.

010.JPG.6da3a7e71c8ac3cb124ac48dc9e27f62.JPG

Is this the one your wife was talking about?

IMG_1856.JPG

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2022 at 3:22 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Here is mine.

It has been my basic working box since the mid-1990's.  bought it with a bunch of tools from an estate. Since I set it on the base the lid has not been closed and never locked.

IMG_0032.JPG.190e080b2d4c177d3cec0cddec4539e6.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG.40731cc96dc3bd9d197baa02ee09f738.JPG

The factory my dad ran had tons of those for the tool makers. When they closed he took one home. I think my brother took it.

21 hours ago, rocketraider said:

When I went off to college I upscaled from Crosley to a 62 Metropolitan. My Dad gave me the wrench to keep under the seat just in case I needed it, luckily I never did. He said a wrench isn't a weapon so it was safer to have in a car than some other things. It makes a good conversation piece.

• Like 1

Here in Canada we used to have Beach tool chests. Not sure if they made them or just a "dealer" for some other manufacturer but they had the Beach name on them. Looked like the ones pictured. 

11 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I have a tool chest that has "Plomb Tool Co, Los Angeles,Cal" in raised letters on the top. inside it has all kinds of brackets and hardware for holding the individual wrenches and such. It must be from the 40s or 50s

No later than 1950. Legal action against PLOMB for trademark infringement by Plumb Tools (hammers and other striking tools) forced PLOMB to rename its tools to Proto.

I like PLOMB hand tools. Nice high-quality stuff as evidenced by the way your tool chest is built. Trouble is so do a lot of other people!🤑