What automotive books are you fascinated by currently?

30DodgePanel

Lately I've been trying to wrap my head around early electrical stuff (unsuccessfully I might add..) and find some of these types of early books extremely interesting. I've never enjoyed anything electrical related, so I would hope that one day while thumbing through books like these the light bulb might go on for me. I'd rather have the original hardcover version but this digital version is an excellent resource in the meantime. 

The simplified guide to correct automobile wiring : Roudanez, George : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

image.png.d2abed1f69841489494fdec8b72df8c6.png

• Like 1

Last automotive book I read was on Project Gutenberg. It was an account of a motor trip in the northeast US in about 1901. The author did not name the car but it was an American 1 cylinder 8 1/2 HP "gas buggy" type, with 2 speed planetary transmission. Two Thousand Miles On An Automobile is the title of the book. Arthur Jerome Eddy is the author. If anyone can identify the make and model of car I would be obliged.

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/12380/pg12380-images.html

Some details of the car used

American made

Price $1200

8 1/2HP single cylinder, water cooled,  automatic intake valve

Coil ignition by dry cell batteries

2 speed planetary transmission, giving speed of 25 -30MPH on High, 4-6MPH on Low

Chain drive

Wire spoke wheels

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Neal Bascomb’s book “Faster” tells the story of Grand Prix racing in the 1930s. You can follow it up with “Grand Prix Saboteurs” to learn what happened to some of the French drivers in WWII. Good reads!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Lately I've been trying to wrap my head around early electrical stuff (unsuccessfully I might add..) and find some of these types of early books extremely interesting. I've never enjoyed anything electrical related, so I would hope that one day while thumbing through books like these the light bulb might go on for me. I'd rather have the original hardcover version but this digital version is an excellent resource in the meantime. 

The simplified guide to correct automobile wiring : Roudanez, George : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

image.png.d2abed1f69841489494fdec8b72df8c6.png

I was never taught electricity  in school, but know it will burn your car, garage, and house to the ground. Has anyone ever printed a book about electricity and its safe use at the 2 grade level? 

I just picked up this book, Drive, by Lawrence Goldstone. It deals with the Selden patent and Henry Ford. I had read about this in an earlier book. Wheels for the World, which chronicled the rise of the Ford corporation. 

shopping.webp

• Thanks 1

Besides all the reading I do here and on other car sites, the only "book" reading is the Dodge Brothers Master parts list and the DB Mechanics' Instruction Manual and maybe one of the Model T Ford repair books.  

1 hour ago, Mark Gregush said:

Besides all the reading I do here and on other car sites, the only "book" reading is the Dodge Brothers Master parts list and the DB Mechanics' Instruction Manual and maybe one of the Model T Ford repair books.  

I completely understand, however I believe those are like daily chores (kidding ;)). 

Doesn't have to be a "book" per say, it can be any read or study that fascinates or creates that passion in each of us. I only posed the question to see what others interests are and to find suggestions for possible future study for myself through other folks suggestions. 

Another example that I've always found fascinating are the hard bound periodicals of Automotive Industries. These are not books as in a novel, these are research and study behemoths in my opinion. It's easy to forget how much activity was taking place in this revolutionary era of the automotive world until you revisit the sheer volume of information that was being produced by all jobbers, suppliers and manufacturers in turn being relayed to those in the industry through these types of publications so everyone close to the industry could see what business models or technics were working and what wasn't. 

30999237082.jpg

I have the research bug pretty bad though, so some of these periodicals about statistics and the overload of information are like a kid being in a candy store for me.As a side note, recently I've been thinking about trying to relocate an old article I came across in a late 1920s issue of one of those periodicals on why auto painters were the only ones allowed to drink on the clock while at work. Supposedly the thought process at the time was that it would make the toxic solvent based paints easier to pass through the body (paraphrasing). My concern is, if I start digging through my small library, I may be lost in it for days trying to find that article. Anyone with OCD will relate...

Point being, reading is one thing, but having a fascination with a read is a different level of study and interest. In the same way antique cars are meant to be driven, I see these old books as something that needs to be held on a consistent but careful basis.  I have zero interest in copies unless it's the only source available. Some suggestions on here have already peaked my interest and I'm sure have provoked thought and interest in others as well. The MPB's and the Mechanical books and various websites one may visit do take up quite a bit of time and make for other reading to be impossible at times (I'd agree), but other times when on vacation or when we allow ourselves to study different things, I'm always amazed at what is out there still waiting to be learned.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

There are many early books that help with understanding vehicular electrical systems.

Dykes Automobile Encyclopedia (many editions and prints)

Audels (forget the exact name, but search on Audels) (at least a 1905 and 1910 editions)

Radco Carburetion and Ignition (1925-32)

National Service Manuals (from about 1925 to date)

American Technical Society Automobile Encyclopedia (4, 5, 6, and 7 volume sets, depending on the year 'teens through at least mid '20's)

I am pretty sure the Radco has been reprinted; as I loaned by copy to one of the major literature dealers for that purpose.

Jon

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Doesn't have to be a "book" per say, it can be any read or study that fascinates or creates that passion in each of us. I only posed the question to see what others interests are and to find suggestions for possible future study for myself through other folks suggestions. 

Read your second post after posting answer to the first. Obviously, I am interested in anything carburetor related. There are literally hundreds of carburetor books in my library, but there are other items as well.

Both Carter and Holley published "school" workshop manuals for students attending their carburetor schools. These are fascinating, and written so an individual with a high school education can understand them.

Carter and Rochester printed 35mm filmstrips with supplementary workbooks that were used when company school instructors gave presentations at dealerships, automotive shows, etc. These were also offered for sale to dealerships, etc. These have some fascinating data. I am the current caretaker for the complete Carter filmstrip library. I also have what I believe to be a complete set of the printed versions of the Rochester filmstrips. Holley did one filmstrip to my knowledge. One of the interesting items I acquired with Stromberg was a box of 3x3 inch glass slides of carburetor information (old). Have not seen anything else like them.

On subjects other that carburetors, the audio/video field for automobile is wide-open. Jam Handy Company (and others) produced thousands of filmstrips, 8mm, 16mm movies, filmloops, laser discs, cassettes, VHS and Beta tapes, on up to modern CD's. I have more than 350 Jam Handy filmstrips for Pontiac alone.

I have digitized many of the Pontiac filmstrips. Here is a link to a sample for 1955 Pontiac 1955 Pontiac If you wish to watch, right click, open in new window, and BE PATIENT! It is about 35 MB. On my computer it takes about 45 seconds to load.

Lots of stuff to study, and all of it much more interesting (opinion) than modern Hollywood movies (every 11 year-old knows the only purpose for bridges is something to blow up!)

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Currently:  I have discovered two old (forties/fifties) Army Ordnance Department manuals, one on Stromberg Carburetors, the other on Carter Carburetors.  Very useful in my quest to increase understanding of carburetion.  

One of my all-time favorite car industry related reads is “Life of an American Workman” by Walter P. Chrysler.  Nothing like a first hand account of the birth of the industry by one of its most accomplished leaders.  A great companion book, but lesser known, is “The Birth of Chrysler Corporation and Its Engineering Legacy” by Chrysler’s chief engineer, Carl Breer; another fascinating first-hand account with a heavy technical perspective.  

• Like 1

"What automotive books are you fascinated by currently?"

Maybe the title should be: What automotive books would you recommend reading. :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Akstraw said:

Currently:  I have discovered two old (forties/fifties) Army Ordnance Department manuals, one on Stromberg Carburetors, the other on Carter Carburetors.  Very useful in my quest to increase understanding of carburetion.  

One of my all-time favorite car industry related reads is “Life of an American Workman” by Walter P. Chrysler.  Nothing like a first hand account of the birth of the industry by one of its most accomplished leaders.  A great companion book, but lesser known, is “The Birth of Chrysler Corporation and Its Engineering Legacy” by Chrysler’s chief engineer, Carl Breer; another fascinating first-hand account with a heavy technical perspective.  

Those are interesting, I have one that covers 1944/45 GMC trucks that includes everything involving GMC models of war era trucks. It's in very rough condition but still fascinates me. 

6 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

"What automotive books are you fascinated by currently?"

Maybe the title should be: What automotive books would you recommend reading. :)

No need yelling, we all got the point ;) ... 

Please Mark, don't take any offense to my postings. At times I try and impart humor that sometimes misses or simply not funny to others. No disrespect meant by it though.

What automotive books are you fascinated by currently is quite different than what books do you recommend reading.  I'm sure most of us have read books that we were not fascinated by, yet some automotive books are so fascinating it's hard to flip the next page even thought they may not be reading material. My first example in post #1 was 900 pages of electrical diagrams. .. so, not much reading in those but the early portions explain electrical concept in a way that I've never seen before and helps someone dense like myself understand a bit more... plus, those diagrams are amazing art in some strange way.

Like you, I too have limited time to read books. I can tell you love research and enjoy studying these old cars, you must have something that fascinates you or creates that passion in you. You're a smart guy and I have seen your posts so I'm curious what automotive books fascinate you.

Another example is my 3/4 ton Instruction Book. I'm amazed at how much information those little books contain from useful tips to full operational instructions specific to my truck. It's the only book that covers my truck in such detail so of course it's something I don't read cover to cover regularly and doubt I ever will. As owners we use them for reference and a source for creating passion in us from time to time to continue on or simply a quick reference for troubleshooting. To me that's not reading, that's a fascination into the world of personal research for each of our interests. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carbking said:

Read your second post after posting answer to the first. Obviously, I am interested in anything carburetor related. There are literally hundreds of carburetor books in my library, but there are other items as well.

I have digitized many of the Pontiac filmstrips. Here is a link to a sample for 1955 Pontiac 1955 Pontiac If you wish to watch, right click, open in new window, and BE PATIENT! It is about 35 MB. On my computer it takes about 45 seconds to load.

Jon

Hi Jon,  I too am fascinated by carbs per our prior conversations, especially the somewhat rare Zenith 114 1/2 updraft (as you may recall) that were used on my truck and others of the era. I'm also fascinated by how someone like yourself can retain such valuable details in regards to sheer volume of material thats out there on the many types of carbs of the era. I can't even imagine what deal with at times.. 

Just an FYI, that link doesn't load as it gives me a warning "that file isn't safe to securely load". 

Would love to watch it if you have another method or pathway. Very interested..

Usually I can’t sit and read a book lol. But I do off an on read sections or sometimes cover to cover of the Haynes Repair Manuals for different cars. I used to read them all the time when I was a kid. Also have read the factory manual for my Beetle cover to cover too. Currently have been reading all the Classic Volkswagen magazines and the old Motor repair manuals. Pretty interesting stuff. I love when I find them at yard sales. 

56 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Just an FYI, that link doesn't load as it gives me a warning "that file isn't safe to securely load". 

What browser are you using?

It loads with no issues on both Windows 7 and Windows 11 using the Chrome browser with no issues on my computers.

Jon.

Not sure if “fascinated” is the right way to put it, but I’m currently going through “Cord Model 810/812 Transmission Manual” by S. A. Ayers published by ACDC (pun intended 😜) and copies of related Factory “Service Bulletins” book + an “Owner’s Manual” from ACDM.

While I’ve always been an avid reader, most of my “Automotive” reads have mainly been Repair/Service Manuals, Parts Catalogs, etc reference book for the cars I’ve owned and/or worked on in past 4+ decades.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Those are interesting, I have one that covers 1944/45 GMC trucks that includes everything involving GMC models of war era trucks. It's in very rough condition but still fascinates me. 

No need yelling, we all got the point ;) ... 

Please Mark, don't take any offense to my postings. At times I try and impart humor that sometimes misses or simply not funny to others. No disrespect meant by it though.

What automotive books are you fascinated by currently is quite different than what books do you recommend reading.  I'm sure most of us have read books that we were not fascinated by, yet some automotive books are so fascinating it's hard to flip the next page even thought they may not be reading material. My first example in post #1 was 900 pages of electrical diagrams. .. so, not much reading in those but the early portions explain electrical concept in a way that I've never seen before and helps someone dense like myself understand a bit more... plus, those diagrams are amazing art in some strange way.

Like you, I too have limited time to read books. I can tell you love research and enjoy studying these old cars, you must have something that fascinates you or creates that passion in you. You're a smart guy and I have seen your posts so I'm curious what automotive books fascinate you.

Another example is my 3/4 ton Instruction Book. I'm amazed at how much information those little books contain from useful tips to full operational instructions specific to my truck. It's the only book that covers my truck in such detail so of course it's something I don't read cover to cover regularly and doubt I ever will. As owners we use them for reference and a source for creating passion in us from time to time to continue on or simply a quick reference for troubleshooting. To me that's not reading, that's a fascination into the world of personal research for each of our interests. 

Was not yelling. When I cut and pasted the title, the font defaulted to same size when I typed the rest of my post. Sorry if you think I was yelling at you, I was not, nor did I direct my comment to any one person. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, carbking said:

What browser are you using?

It loads with no issues on both Windows 7 and Windows 11 using the Chrome browser with no issues on my computers.

Jon.

My security system wouldn't allow it..

Had to bypass it, but works now.

Love these old filmstrips, especially the points about the 860 series.

Thank you for always taking the time to share these types of things with others in the hobby. I know it must have been a lot of work to load and label everything on your website. Not many people do that kind of thing for free... 

Hi,

Sorry about the poor photo.

" Chrysler, The life and times of an automotive genius" by Vincent Curcio. 2000

669 pages of history about the man and his work in the automotive field.

It took me over 6 weeks to finish.

Santa enjoyed his ride in our Chrysler last Saturday, but with his ample frame, it took three people to extricate him from the front seat.

IMG_1238[1].JPG

Santa 2022.jpg

• Like 3

I relate to the “currently fascinated “ portion of your topic. I have particular malady that once I am interested in a certain automobile the hunt begins. This has been my modus operandi since I can remember. Thus thousands of reading situations. Here’s a book I have that still speaks to me out of the thousands. Good luck in your never ending journey.7B9F2EA7-5F32-460E-88F1-882664E75F8D.jpeg.8f9d620c41ae32dba9fc4366852b37e8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently finished this book published in 1911. The trip covers 5000 miles and revisits the authors similar hitchhiking trip as a college student years earlier titled "How to see Europe on 50 cents a day"

54A81E0D-F6B2-4C71-891F-B3C57C184099.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
spelling (see edit history)