Veterans Day.

Flivverking

I had to miss todays Veterans Day Parade, it started raining at dawn.  Still raining at 11:30, parade was at 10:00.   Tommorows Toyss For Tots Car Show will be a better, but not perfectly dry day.   I'll take a 41 year old car instead of a 88 year old one, but I'll go.  It benefits the Veterans.

I washed and waxed our 1981 El Camino and went to the Toys For Tots show at the loacal Chevrolet Dealer.    It sared slow ut eneded up with 100+ cars & trucks.  Oldest was a pair of stock Model A Fords, mqany street rods and customs with some restored antiques mixed in, newest was a 2021 Corvette.   Something for everyone in between,   Rain arrived about 11:00 AM and laste all day.   Good public attendance and aa auction of new goods thaat mostly sold for above tetail  prices, all proceeds to the local Vetrans Association.  Lots of Veterans enjoying the day too.

17012680_IMG_39241.JPG.b0baec90a35fd2e722d1bf43be6e2bb2.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The shocking thing to me is how few today are Vets. Less than half a percent of the population is what I've been told. 

No damn wonder we get mixed up in things we shouldn't.

My time with Sam did not involve any real sacrifice and has been a benefit to me  everyday since. 

• Like 3

11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, Armistice Day, now Veterans Day.👍

It will do well to remember why this day was first memorialized and why everyone keeps forgetting the seriousness of history.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

The shocking thing to me is how few today are Vets. Less than half a percent of the population is what I've been told. 

My time with Sam did not involve any real sacrifice and has been a benefit to me  everyday since. 

I sacrificed a year but it has paid dividends. The VA has treated me well for over 55 years with world class medical care

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

No more draft. During Viet Nam  easily 10-20,000 guys were being drafted a month. That makes for a lot of vets. Now we have a professional army so more of them stay in longer than the two year draft requirements. No matter whether you were drafted or joined as a career move all vets deserve thanks and to be treated with respect. They especially should be helped if hurt physically or mentally, too many of these vets need help. 
dave s 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Now we have a professional army so more of them stay in longer than the two year draft requirements.

My daughter just completed 4 years of service, just signed up for another 4 years....went from Washington State to New Orleans....

Steve

image.png.827db5d2e430130b6721192c9dc926e6.png

• Like 6

Thank you to all who have served and continue to serve this great country of ours.

This morning I walked with my daughter's Young Marines unit while they marched in a local Veteran's Day Parade and in a few hours the unit is doing a color guard at another local event.

Days honoring veterans and national holidays related to the military are always busy for us being involved with the Young Marines program.

• Like 2

IMG_21F509D9DC09-1.jpeg.fcb7a1a435f3d0164b7d9f6005c043e7.jpegI had the privilege of serving in the US Navy for 38 years to include 3 tours with the US Marine Corps.  Mt. Suribachi is in the background during a memorable trip to Iwo Jima in 2010.  I met several retired Marines who were participating in the Southern Pines, NC Veterans Day Parade last Saturday which I also participated in with my 1940 Chevy and other AACA Sandhills Chapter members.  We had a great time reminiscing about our time in service.  As a Sailor with time in the Fleet Marine Force, they invited me to join their detachment of the Marine Corps League and help celebrate the 247th birthday of the US Marine Corps last night which I did.  That's a big reason why I participate in these parades with my 80 year old car despite the challenges we have discussed in prior forum threads on parade participation.  Again, to all Veterans: Happy Veterans Day!  To all Marines: Happy 247th Birthday and Semper Fidelis!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

In 2010 when I was President of AACA, I began a tradition that continues.  At the first event that year, at the banquet, I asked all veterans to stand with me and be recognized. I was super impressed that more than half in attendance proudly stood.  The applause was enthusiastic and went on for quite a long time.  I continue to be impressed at how many veterans are active in AACA and thank everyone for not only serving your country but serving AACA as well. 

Wherever you are, whatever you are doing today, pause for a moment and stand quietly, honoring those who have served.  Especially those who never returned.  They will have their own day of memorial, but for now, realize the freedoms we have to enjoy our hobby did not come cheaply.

Thank you fellow veterans!

Terry-USN Retired.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

My wife and I were in Sainte-Mère-Église in Normandy about 5 years ago on 11-11 at 11:11 in the morning.  Armistice Day, the signing of the end of WWI.   Being there and walking the beaches of Normandy was a significant emotional event.   The American Cemetery at Omaha Beach is a must see if you travel to Normandy. We were humbled to walk on that hallowed ground. Seeing the Commonwealth Cemeteries along with the German Cemeteries is a very worthwhile experience. They are all different.

We thank those those that,  "All gave some and some gave all".

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

In 2010 when I was President of AACA, I began a tradition that continues.  At the first event that year, at the banquet, I asked all veterans to stand with me and be recognized. I was super impressed that more than half in attendance proudly stood.  The applause was enthusiastic and went on for quite a long time.  I continue to be impressed at how many veterans are active in AACA and thank everyone for not only serving your country but serving AACA as well. 

Wherever you are, whatever you are doing today, pause for a moment and stand quietly, honoring those who have served.  Especially those who never returned.  They will have their own day of memorial, but for now, realize the freedoms we have to enjoy our hobby did not come cheaply.

Terry-USN Retired.

Thank you Terry, it is a good thing to know that lots of brothers and sisters who served are in this organization.  I'm not surprised that so many of us crazy enough to do a career in the military are crazy enough to resurrect and maintain these beautiful old machines.   I am better because of my time and experiences in the Navy, and I met some of the best people on earth.......and a few of the worst.  As a whole...........I'm grateful.

John D Bloom USN Retired

• Like 1

6 hours ago, classiclines said:

Thank you for your service!!!  With a special call-out to those who choose to preserve military vehicles!!!

mentorjeep.jpg

I've always hankered for an M-88: Supercharged gasoline fuel injected v-12 with 1000hp. The exhaust would glow red when hard at work (which probably contributed a lot to the frequency of engine fires). 

• Like 1

Lowes stores provide veterans, and their wives, close in  parking and a 10% discount on most items. It takes an easy online  sign up and after that you are in the system and just give your id at check out. 

It's appreciated as much for the recognition as the discount.....bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Terry-USN Retired.

Continuing Terry Bond's entirely appropriate example, I occasionally oversee club events on the local chapter and region level, I'll ask not only our military veterans, but try to be inclusive of their spouses, and also parents and grandparents of those currently serving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Continuing Terry Bond's entirely appropriate example, I occasionally oversee club events on the local chapter and region level, I'll ask not only our military veterans, but try to be inclusive of their spouses, and also parents and grandparents of those currently serving.

Marty, thanks for doing that. In particular the spouses!  In 2003, I deployed with the Marines for the liberation of Iraq. I returned after 6 months to a lot of congratulations and kindness and attention.......... almost nobody gave much attention to my wife, the woman that I left with a seven, five, three, and one year-old for the entire time that I was gone. It wasn’t a pleasant time over there in the sand, but I think I had it easier than she did. The spouses are rocks! They support and keep everything together so the active duty person can go do a job. Keep bringing awareness to people to recognize the spouses and family. They are the glue keeping it all from exploding. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, JAK said:

Thank you John for that, had it not been for my wife of 55 years I wouldn't be here now.

Same here. We did those 23 years active duty together. Only once for a 2 year tour in Sicily did the family have to stay home - but even then they got to come visit for a few weeks. 

Terry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gary56 said:

I served in the Navy for 16. 5 years until was disabled.  I sent most of my time over seas in Scotland.  The people over there they don't restore old cars they just let them rust away.

Where were you in Scotland?  I spent almost 8 years there stationed at a small base near Edzell, south of Aberdeen.  The old car hobby there was thriving. 

Terry

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 7:12 PM, Larry Schramm said:

The American Cemetery at Omaha Beach is a must see if you travel to Normandy. We were humbled to walk on that hallowed ground.

I was able to see the American Cemeteries in Belgium at Flanders Field, Ardennes, Henri-Chapelle and the Netherlands American Cemetery on a trip around 2015. Gives a better understanding of what we as a country went through to keep our democracy in our fight against Fascism. Couldn't keep a dry eye there. Freedom! Anymore and I will drift into political areas.

• Like 4

We had a WW2 event yesterday at the new WW2 American Experience museum in Gettysburg Pa.

We hosted 20 WW2 veterans whose age ranged from 97 to 101.  I have never seen that amount of

WW2 vets together  in recent years.  They all signed the Red Cross Clubmobile with their names, rank and

outfit. It was an event that we will not forget. They truly are the greatest generation.
Dave Gray

4D642550-8436-4502-BA32-358DEE95E3D0.jpeg

17540D29-1D88-4E66-9A33-8EB238FBFA43.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3