You could buy it, but you don’t.

Jack, next time you're in town, let's trade for a weekend.  Maybe we can both get it out of our systems!  :lol:

pa1.jpg.1d267ac38b521079db5e89707ae88900.jpg20201105_160201.jpg.4c825c7394838ef8cfbd768096ff89f7.jpg

Some disparaged the 928 as a little heavy in it's day but I always thought it was one of the sharpest body designs Porsche ever came up with.

19 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Jack, next time you're in town, let's trade for a weekend.  Maybe we can both get it out of our systems!  :lol:

pa1.jpg.1d267ac38b521079db5e89707ae88900.jpg20201105_160201.jpg.4c825c7394838ef8cfbd768096ff89f7.jpg

I am pretty sure that when I come to pick it up I will swing thru PS.

Have no idea when that will be. Block is bored and pistons on order. (30 to 90 days and about half way to the 90 now)

In hopes that the mech will get right on it. 

And bigger hopes that he cures that noise. The pistons were quite loose in the bores and had been knurled already.

Lots of taper.

At minimum we will share rides. I think you fit on that one hand, LOL

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Sit back, hold out your fingers, and count the number of people you know with extra space.

I have the space but really have no wants and certainly no automotive needs. At some point it all is just stuff. A few years back I had the use of a Ferrari 550 Maranello for a day and was offered it at below market. What a car! I briefly considered it before I came to my senses..........Bob

Ford Y-blocks are what my buddies and I worked on in high school. The crank of that starter and the exhaust note have never left me. Never had a '57, and sometimes I think I might like a Custom with a 312, à la moonshine runner. '63 supercharged Avantis also intrigue me. I may eventually indulge one or the other of these two fantasies. Just installed a couple of four post lifts to allow for possibilities.

Russ Hunt

1950 Ford Custom Deluxe Club Coupe

1966 Ford Ranchero

1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SL

Edited by rbh3rd@yahoo.com
accuracy (see edit history)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

A VW Beetle was the answer 33 yeaes ago,  A great little car, but no ponger cheap to buy or restore.   I did a new interior, headliner and all window rubbers 3 years ago, just before my knee replacements, now I can't drive it.    Maybe I ahould work a trade with Terry B for a 1914 Model T..

I;ve had 10 VWs in my life. from 57's to 1972.    Great Bucket List Car for anyone with good knees.

FallColor.jpg.110668fbe5ff2f73c0003da08c7f1a29.jpg

Answer; 1972 Super Beetle AutoStick

17 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Ford Model N.

Ford Model 6-40.

Buick Model 16 roadster.

Stanley Model CX.

The Model 16 Buick was on my list since I was a kid. One finally arrived in late 2020. Sometimes things take awhile and you get lucky.

FYI- There is a nice one currently for sale on the HCCA website. 

• Like 1

Saw this truck for sale yesterday and took a couple pictures. 77 Ford F-150 390 50,000 miles Original paint. Super clean $26,500. On my way home I got to thinking you could buy this do the car show thing for the summer, drive around and enjoy then put it on BAT and double your money. Whatayathink?

14E6BB7B-9BE5-4001-956C-6CBE4B925838.jpeg

CE45BB58-18EA-4D34-A9A0-59B38E4DD7E2.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve9 said:

Saw this truck for sale yesterday and took a couple pictures. 77 Ford F-150 390 50,000 miles Original paint. Super clean $26,500. On my way home I got to thinking you could buy this do the car show thing for the summer, drive around and enjoy then put it on BAT and double your money. Whatayathink?

14E6BB7B-9BE5-4001-956C-6CBE4B925838.jpeg

CE45BB58-18EA-4D34-A9A0-59B38E4DD7E2.jpeg

Better buy on this one. Would want to look into drip rails.  https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/vancouver-1979-ford-f350-ranger/7483340972.html

1977 F150 should not have a 390, should have 460, 400, 351M, 351W, 302 or 300-6.  1976 was the last year for the 390.  The truck has a 1977 model front from the amber front signal lights, 1976 is white with yellow bulbs.  Beautiful truck, mine is not that nice.

image.png.f1a4d759e9c7653e605ff581277f706d.png

Nice truck... hate the non-period wheels (they never look right to me), needs white or chrome wagon wheels, or the factory Alco aluminum wheels look good.

Edited by Graham Man
update (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I would be so happy if I could get a 73-77 El Camino or a 4 door Edsel. Either 58 or 59, I love them both. These aren't expensive cars...

Alas, it's not in the cards. I can't see well enough to drive and my back is so badly damaged I need help to tie my own shoes. So I stay connected by collecting diecast, building plastic models, and taking as many pictures as humanly possible. 

It's not the same as having a car of my own to love, but at least it's something. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/24/2022 at 2:10 PM, Graham Man said:

image.png.724243eb3af06bb0963207950020e66f.png

The long list of electrical issues has always scared me away...

Had one. Loved the style, but the car was the most underwhelming "sports car" I've ever owned. Electrical issues are just one of many lingering memories!

On 5/24/2022 at 7:03 PM, rbh3rd@yahoo.com said:

Ford Y-blocks are what my buddies and I worked on in high school. The crank of that starter and the exhaust note have never left me. 

X2. My first set of wheels was a 1957 Ford F100 custom cab (not the one pictured) purchased when I 15. Sweet Y-block with dual exhaust, best sound ever! Drove my buddies to high school in it. It's not a matter of if I could buy it but I don't but a matter of I can't find one! I've been fond of pickups all my life.

1957 Ford Custom Cab – Schwanke Engines LLC

• Like 2

To me there is a prewar and two postwar answers.

Prewar, I would want a 1930 Ford Model A Phaeton or Cabriolet, tough I could make a Roadster work also. I may be strange but I want one devoid of accessories and with a single rear mount spare.

Postwar, I have two on opposite ends of the spectrum,  size-wise. I am right there with everyone on the VW bandwagon.  I like the flat windshield type convertible. Or...I would love to own a '64 Imperial convertible.  What a great looking car that is.

• Like 1

Well it's not been a week but I am reminded of a couple other cars that appeal to me and come back around but haven't bought.

Jaguar XJ6 sedan, most are needy, but nice examples are out there and generally pretty reasonable.  I think the 4.2 can be sorted for less effort than the popular sbc conversion.  Could have had a nice one a while back, but we were in our first house w no garage and one car across town at my grandmother's house.

BMW 633, manual.  These are not far from taking off big time IMO.  A lot more car than the 2002 for example, well past used cars now.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 10:33 AM, 1912Staver said:

We don't waste anything up here in the frozen North. 

You many be more north than some, but from an Alberta perspective, you are NOT in the 'frozen' North!!

Craig

I know Craig,  I just throw that phrase in for comic relief. Compared to Edmonton I am living in Canada's tropics. But I did spend my early years in Winterpeg. And a year in Huston B.C. { by Smithers }  Those memories never fade.

Lately I have been considering immigrating to El Berta. Prices of everything is getting pretty extreme West of the Rockies. Not so sure about the Edmonton area, more like Red Deer.  Time will tell.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

On 5/24/2022 at 2:10 PM, Graham Man said:

image.png.724243eb3af06bb0963207950020e66f.png

The long list of electrical issues has always scared me away...

The 928 was the specific model a good friend and I discussed as an example of an impressive late model car with relatively modest pricing, $8,000-$10,000. That was about 10 or 12 years ago and we established a policy that each of us have used. Purchase a nice example and drive it until a major expense arises. Then sell it, minimum loses, and remember the good times. We have both done that a couple of times. You just don't "marry" the car. We both do our own work and have a good idea when to pull out.

He did own a 928 for about 2 years after we agreed on the philosophy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Lately I have been considering immigrating to El Berta. Prices of everything is getting pretty extreme West of the Rockies. Not so sure about the Edmonton area, more like Red Deer.  Time will tell.

Want to do an even property trade??

Craig

27 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Sorry, but no. Freeing up some of the currently outrageous value of this place is part of the equation. The house market out here is nuts, even for a near tear down like my current place.

It's 'The Island' I hope to ultimately move to, not the overcrowded Fraser Valley mainland.  House prices are finally going up here with the price of oil & gas, and I can find something near-comparable.   

What it has done is given me time to trim the fat, and start getting rid of stuff I've enjoyed looking at for 20-50 years, mostly non-automotive for now, like a few vintage radios, etc.  Less to carry with me when that time comes.  And to keep it on topic with this post, I am NOT buying anymore cars; projects, or otherwise at this point.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

I need to stop drinking before bed, if that is what I am dreaming about. Good thing I am at current old car capacity. No room for Mini Cooper. Now, how to dream bigger and better.🤔

I came very close a number of times to buy a 70's era 911 Porsche. But everytime there were problems with the car for sale. Bad bodywork, smoking, knocking engines or unshiftable transmissions. Now they are over priced, being sold by egomaniac's and no better than they were 35 years ago.

My Karmann Ghia was almost as much fun to drive and slower, but the same thrill to drive thru the twisties.

• Like 1

The Island is nice, but the Ferry system and schedule will have you tearing your hair out. And far from cheap. I have a pass but a taxible bennifit , even at that the cost really adds up over the years. And everything you buy has a ferry cost built into it.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)