Hershey items over the years that you've enjoyed

30DodgePanel

Being someone who has never had the true pleasure and honor of visiting Hershey, I find myself envious at times of all the years I've missed out on but am hopeful I can make the trek one day. 

Some of the fascinating things that stand out to me in old Hershey photos (in simpleton terms) are things like the white paper bags that all seem to have some sort of advertising from Hershey on them. This is just one example of the neat items I've always been curious about that were either handed out or sold at Hershey over the years. Surely some are slowly becoming collector's items themselves while others may be best for the landfill.

image.png.c5c64184442e6a1effdc7fd0df8c3daa.png

Does anyone have one of these bags still? Please post a close-up photo if you do, and please post photos of your most interesting promotional or give-away items you've seen over the years for those of us that have never made the trip.

Thanks 

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

• 30DodgePanel changed the title to Hershey items over the years that you've enjoyed

Dodge, I don't have any of the bags, but I do have several of the old cardboard street sign's that were stapled to the wooden posts that were placed at the end of every row. In fact, if you look closely at the picture you can see a post and sign in the middle of the group. Kind of hard pounding in wooden stakes now that everything is on blacktop. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30DP,

It wasn't just Hershey, I have never been there either. Tucked away out in my shop, is a white bag with graphics from "Old Cars Weekly" on it. I run into it from time to time when looking for one thing or another on the shelves (such as they are?).

That OCW white bag was a giveaway at a Turlock swap meet about thirty years ago.

My wife has hers hanging on the bedroom door knob ready for her next trip to the library.

IMG_0281.JPG.5ea77226992c54e27b5bc827b5c6fc70.JPG

Hershey, too many four door pickups and camping trailers. Guys used to be happy sleeping in an 8' camper with their parts. It's all those younger ones these days. Can't leave the comforts of home. 70 and 80 year olds just have to be pampered.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Guys used to be happy sleeping in an 8' camper with their parts. It's all those younger ones these days. Can't leave the comforts of home. 70 and 80 year olds just have to be pampered.

Hey, my Wife and I still sleep in our 20' enclosed trailer after we unload the parts.! 😃

The thing I always enjoy about Hershey is in the evening after the crowds die down is watching the early brass and steam cars that come out and cruise the grounds. It's not a promotional giveaway item so not really what was asked for but just something simple that I look forward to every year.

• Like 4

31Plymouth, if I knew how to post pictures I would show you my HERSHEY wooden Nickel collection. I have every wooden nickel since 1980 including the "banned" 2020 nickel.

11 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Dodge, I don't have any of the bags, but I do have several of the old cardboard street sign's that were stapled to the wooden posts that were placed at the end of every row. In fact, if you look closely at the picture you can see a post and sign in the middle of the group. Kind of hard pounding in wooden stakes now that everything is on blacktop. 

That was my corner spot and that street marker sign came home with ne every year, not that I know where one is, but if I find one I'll post a photo. Those simple things do have a meaning, this thread should turn into a good one. One word of advice, Hershey or Pebble Beach, if you are thinking about going DO IT NOW! It is only money, you can't make more time. 

Bob

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Hey, my Wife and I still sleep in our 20' enclosed trailer after we unload the parts.! 😃

The thing I always enjoy about Hershey is in the evening after the crowds die down is watching the early brass and steam cars that come out and cruise the grounds. It's not a promotional giveaway item so not really what was asked for but just something simple that I look forward to every year.

I agree, sadly the ice cream vendor was not at Hershey 2021 the destination of all those night time brass car drivers. Remember the guys looking for parts after dinner with flashlights when the spaces were on grass? Now every spot is on pavement and the parking lot lights are on until after sunrise. NOBODY is out roaming past 8:00. 

• Like 1

Not really a commemorative piece but thought some of you might enjoy this. It obviously predates the meet but the nostalgia of it all has me questioning the location of the photo in conjunction with the current Hershey area. 

I can't help but wonder, are any of these buildings still standing or in use?

image.png.7e536a3906c146c518ab740df3e3a067.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, K8096 said:

895C3555-95E2-40D8-95F4-415D3215E7CC.jpeg

If I ever get a car restored to take to Hershey, I should put one of these plate toppers on it.  

I'm assuming the orange one is the older of the two styles. 

I love the idea by the way, I think any prewar car owner would be proud to have one.

Are/were these give away items at the meet or are they generic license toppers with Hershey name?

Seen some for sale recently and the seller is suggesting they are from 1910-1920 era. Can anyone verify the years these were produced?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

The Directory of Vendors was published by Dave Ficken on Long Island, 1969 was my first year there and didn't want to get lost. Lost swap met field now under the roller coasters. AACA banned the sale of Dave's publication, and has published their own ever since. Thanks Dave, we miss you and think of the early days & Car Tips Magazine. 

Bob

DSCF1879.JPG

DSCF1880.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kings32 said:

I never had any luck with his son .

At Hershey, a friend brought the son a Pierce-Arrow wiper for rebuild.  Son said he wouldn’t help him, friend asked well what did I do then……son said “Get some Rain-X”.

I sent wiper to the fellow on the west coast, he did a great job rebuilding it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 6:58 PM, 46 woodie said:

31Plymouth, if I knew how to post pictures I would show you my HERSHEY wooden Nickel collection. I have every wooden nickel since 1980 including the "banned" 2020 nickel.

Please explain the banned 2020 nickel

• Like 1

31plymouth, as for the "banned nickels", when I found out that the 2020 HERSHEY flea market and show was cancelled, I decided to have 2020 HERSHEY wooden nickels made, only to keep the tradition alive. I have every nickel from 1980, the first year, to the present. They are almost an exact copy of all the other years, but with no A.A.C.A. copyright infringement. Well, it got some people in the Hershey Region upset and I was banned from advertising on the A.A.C.A. web site and in the Magazine. The thing that I couldn't understand is that after two phone calls and one E-Mail, no one could give me a reason why they were being banned. I sold hundreds, mostly to A.A.C.A. members and none could understand why the A.A.C.A. banned them. The people that collect wooden nickels love them and everyone thanked me for keeping the tradition alive. If I knew how to post pictures I would show you a sample.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of banned - here is a neat sweat shirt I bought in 1977.  It was the year following the "Big Mud" year where everything was flooded and there was mud up to the knees in some places.  - I thought it was a pretty cool "souvenir" so I bought one for myself and one for Sue.  Over the years they got rather worn, thread-bare in places, sweat-stained, pizza, beer, and whatever spilled on them but they are still treasured reminders of that particular year that helped establish the legend of "Hershey Mud."  I understand the vendor was prohibited from selling Hershey souvenirs after that. I'd love to see this re-done as a T-shirt  - "I remember 1976" or something like that.  I'm sure it would sell well to a lot of "old timers."

Terry

Hershey sweatshirt 1977.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Here's my Hershey bag,getting pretty salty after all these years. My first trip was in 1986,I had Cadillac fever pretty bad,bought a V-16 engine from a guy in Pittsfield NY and was going to drive out to pick it up. He said he had seven spaces in the chocolate field and if I wanted to,I could bring some stuff out and set up in two or three of them. Darn right,I wanted to. We got the engine and followed him down to Hershey. My then wife couldn't believe how beautiful the trees were at that time. The fellow had some business to take care of so we beat him to the field. Honestly it felt like hallowed ground,after hearing about it for years I was finally there. We got set up,the place filled up and the meet was off to the races. It was really incredible,all the stuff,we had been to Iola Wi a few times and the Colorado meets but this was awe-inspiring. Regrettably I didn't buy that 1915 Cadillac engine driven air pump just down the row for $50. But the thing I remember most about the meet were those yellow apples some of the vendors had on their tables,25 cents each,some were two for a quarter,I had never tasted an apple so good,I ate many. So much better than the tasteless,odorless but colorful apple looking things that were available out here at the stores in Wyoming at the time. That's what I remember most about my first Hershey. I went nine more times,eight on my own spaces in the White field. Quit going about 20 years ago.

IMG_1976.JPG

• Like 2