Can't Renew My Membership

cutlasguy

I just realized that my AACA Membership expires at the end of the year! I must have discarded the form from the magazine accidentally. I tried using the website to renew, to no avail! I entered my Membership Number and Pin #, but it still wanted me to log in with my IPO and password. I supplied that but it tells me it's not valid. I messaged the help line, but still no reply. I can try calling but I'm afraid I'll just get a recorded message and not a person!

19 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Phones are very busy today but call again at 717-534-1910 or pm me with your phone number and I will call you!

Now that’s service I’ve never seen in 50 years of doing circulation and association work for over 150 publications/memberships. 
The head honcho making a phone call to a member to help is why this association is the best!  I’m amazed and just think even though there are thousands of members this is just a family of car people!  
dave s 

• Like 8

There can never be enough compliments for a great job being done. SURE people get paid to do the job they have ( most of the time) but never get a pat on the back from the general audience that is using them - they are taken for granted - that is just wrong!

If you can find the time to make a complaint because you are not happy about something then find the time to also say "thank you, job well done" - it can make someones day to see/hear that.

Yes, I am also the type who takes the time to write and mail a thank you note - yes I am archaic , that is why I own/drive cars with running boards and hold a door open so the next person can go through it as well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I had a similar problem today on the website to renew & update my address.  I called the AACA phone number and got a prompt answer and great customer service!  Was able to renew my membership and update my mailing address without any problem.

BZ AACA staff!!  That's a thank you and job well done! from a US Navy retiree

• Like 2

Watch it guys, it does not take much to get full of myself.  Actually, it is simple.  We understand we work for YOU.  We understand that our job is to represent this hobby to the best of our ability.  We aren't perfect but we try to do what is best for this club at all times.  I am proud that since the day I arrived here I stopped the screening of calls for everyone.  A practice I detest.  I check out the forums at least once a day to see if I can be of help or of some comedic relief!  In the end we want to do all we can to make our members and anyone who contacts us feel good about having done so.

Great customer service is not that easy to find anymore and it is a sad commentary about having lost the lessons of past generations.  We will continue to try and do our part (especially since we have not been able to get our online membership renewal fixed to our satisfaction!).

Thanks for the kind comments gentlemen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I've known Steve since he headed up the Oldsmobile Club of America and he's done an equally fine job at AACA. I would never criticize him, but I just get frustrated when these web pages don't work! I'll call tomorrow.  I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to call a service provider and after listening to the recorded choices, none of which apply to my problem, I get disconnected!

Cutlassguy, then you have known me for a long time.  I was working for Oldsmobile Division at that time.  While our new building is state-of-the-art our digital phone system is still set up to have a human answer when they are able.  The phone rings in ALL offices so anyone can pick up.  If you do not get us then it means we are all on the phone or away from our offices (or maybe at the bar!).

• Haha 1

I did renew my membership online, but I had a different problem. The website would not allow me to enter my AACA number. I paid online anyway, PDF'd the receipt, and sent an email with this info to Lori Shetter just to be sure the payment caught up with my existing membership.

I made the call today to renew my membership, and the person picked up on the second ring! All she wanted was my Membership # and my credit card info! After that it was a done deal! Thanks very much to Steve and all who helped. I hate referring to someone as a  "person" but I'm an airhead at remembering names. Must be my age! Anyway thanks again! I hope you remember mine!

Or........the web site can be fixed so one can easily re enlist. Or ........everyone's time, including management's, can continue to be wa$ted with unnecessary monkey motion. 

Some may see the above as an example of great membership service. Others may see it as an example of wa$tefull inefficiency......Just sayin.....bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bob, I disagree on some of your comments. I look at it as management providing the service the association members expect that is usually ignored by most organizations. If they are too busy to help a member they are not doing their job. The members or customers of any company are managements main responsibility. Most major company management make very good money and give the impression they are above doing anything for a customer, their only job is to make money for stock holders and themselves. You might say the management of AACA are very unique in that the members are the main concern, then they do their management work. I will bet not one person in AACA has worked less on there responsibilities because of making a phone call or helping a member in any way. I’m sure a 40 hour week is a lot less than the amount of time everyone of them put in on the job. It’s probably closer to a 60+ hour week. They do their job plus give us help when needed or this club would not be as good as it is. 
Yes membership renewal should be easier online, I will give you that. I am sure that is one if not the highest project for any web site improvements they are doing. But please don’t say they are wrong for helping a member because you think they are wasting money. Check out a thread about Hemmings if you believe that. There have been multiple subscribers saying management will not even answer the phone. You seem to be the only one feeling our management are wrong in doing that. 
Not trying to disparage you in any way just feel you are way off base on that part of your comments. 

I think Steve and all of the staff at AACA do a very good job making sure we are taken care of and at doing their required jobs. If you feel the same or as Bob does please let us all know. It will only help Steve and his staff understand what the membership wants. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

Bob, since you are not a member, never have been in our building, know very little about how AACA actually functions, do not know our staff nor have any idea about why we have a problem with our "store" it amazes me that you have all the easy answers.  We have not found a solution that integrates with our custom software that is affordable.  Costs are outrageous (from $50,000 to $15,000 a year plus tens of thousands up front) to do what we need to do to make sure that we have total integration.  This saves thousands of hours of manpower and avoids us to have to hire additional staff.  All this translates to living with a slightly awkward system that does work for thousands but does not work as simply as we would like.  We have worked with no less than a dozen different companies without an acceptable solution. After all, it is our members money we are spending.

In January we will begin the work on a new website (contract already signed) as we found a affordable solution to upgrade what we have (site will now be more compatible with devices and have support for its software) and hopefully as the budget allows we can make even more improvements.  Getting this base architecture done might also make it easier to integrate our store, the website and our custom membership software.  We are committed to doing better but it will have to be fiscally responsible.

Dave, thanks for the support and being a voice of reason.  You actually have experience in part of our world so you know that nothing is all that easy.  In the end, I believe that most people will accept an occasional problem or inefficiency if you give them a great personal customer service.  Our crew does that on a daily basis but as you know you cannot please everyone no matter how hard you try. Oh, and 40 hour work weeks?  What are those?  As you surmised, our folks are loyal and are here late at night and weekends if need be.  Many do not take all their allotted vacations as well.  Dave you are certainly right in your comments about our people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve, being in the list management business I have never seen any staff work just 40 hours as you said they just don’t exist in that industry. 
We use to spend a million dollars on a new upgraded hardware platform every five years as maintenance cost demanded the upgrade.  Started when computers only had tape drives no disk. Finally when servers came in we thought we were going to increase our bottom line and even save cost increases to our customers. The only thing that happened was software went through the roof in cost. That is more costly than hardware. The reason Microsoft went from xp to another step (I’m old so forgot name) to 7 then 10. And magically the next version is not completely compatible to the previous version. No one believes they do that just to make things better do they. 
I am 90% retired and would not want the headaches you and the rest of the staff will go through to make this change. Hopefully you just experienced your hair Turing more grey and not being all pulled out!  
Members know you all are doing a very good job and we appreciate it. Have fun if you can while doing this work. Try to enjoy those late night pizzas you are eating

at 2 am on a Saturday morning. 
dave s 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Bob, since you are not a member...

Steve,

I'm sure your above response touched on a very sore point with some of us.  Why are non-members allowed to post in the Discussion Forums?  It seems like one should have to 'ante-up, for that privilege.  Perhaps restricting non-members from posting would cut down on some of the negative comments which at times seems to go unchecked. 

Count me as another who renewed using the online store.  Thanks for the support and good work you and your staff do for us paying members.

Regards, George

• Like 1

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I too tried to renew online and it did not succeed. It said the account was migrated over but I never received the temp password to create a real account. Tried a couple of times with the same result. Emailed Karen but also did not receive anything back. Instead of getting frustrated, which I do frequently, I just decided to go ahead and mail the renewal form back in the mail.

As far as some of the comments here goes, I can understand the AACA position. I was in the IT field for part of my career and know all to well the costs and frustrations in dealing with software and compatibility issues.

By far the AACA is a superior organization compared to other so-called car clubs I have had the misfortune of being a part of.

I hope to visit the AACA in Hershey someday and see all you have to offer.

Sincerely,

I have a relatively thick skin and Bob and have had traded differences of opinions over the years.  Usually fairly friendly but when people opine without having any understanding what the are opining about well...  In any case, AACA is a different kind of car club.  Since we are the oldest and largest by a mile our past leadership realized that we had to be not just about our own club but the hobby in general.  That is why we host other club's  forums for free, allow non-AACA members to post and have a free public library (the largest of its kind).  Yes, restricting non-members might lessen some of the issues on the forum but as they say "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."  

As the post above points out, we do have a problem that our site is not understandable at all times to all people.  That is a problem and one that infuriates us.  If it was a stand alone renewal it would be a simple, relatively inexpensive and quick fix.  However, the way it needs to integrate with our membership software is an impediment.  We have to change our store software in the coming year and hopefully whatever is chosen will work in an acceptable way with our custom database.  Karen is usually great at getting back to people so I am not sure where the problem is other than we are short staffed this week.

We do know that the reason most people are not getting an email back is that it goes to spam or junk folders.  Our .org is a problem and AOL at times has blocked us.  We also know that a security function built in that requires the use of an email simply is a problem for some.  That email has to match the email on our database.  If it doesn't then there is a problem.  I am pretty sure that once the new website is up we will do away with the email feature and institute a less problematic security feature.  Maybe more than you all want to know but just trying to say it isn't so simple...just sayin

• Like 2

Thank you Steve for all that you do - and talk about leading by example!  

For those that have issues renewing why not consider a Lifetime Membership?  I just renewed my membership and chose the Lifetime option, never have to worry about renewals again and it only took me 2 minutes.

Don

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

For those that have issues renewing why not consider a Lifetime Membership?  I just renewed my membership and chose the Lifetime option, never have to worry about renewals again and it only took me 2 minutes.

And a little known discount exists for Life Memberships:

They are greatly discounted--half price?--for anyone 70 or over.

Someone can correct me if my statistics are off.

Yes, I'm not a member. I've been trying on and off for 2 years now to renew only to be led down a rabbit hole of dead ends and frustration. I would love to again add to the club's coffers by re-upping on line. The point could be made that I'm  only one of many who have said "to Hell with it" and simply gave up on joining.

My post was not an opinion but only states the obvious. There is a problem with the web site that should be corrected. A point the club, in fact, agrees with. My opinion is that a certain number of potential members are getting discouraged enough to just walk away.

My post does not in any way state that the club has no value or redeeming values.

I'm looking forward to re-enlisting. If someone would be kind enough to inform me when I can do so on line with out again falling down a rabbit hole of account numbers, coffee mugs, and tee shirts I'll do so forthwith.............Bob

If you all have such horrible problems renewing online, why not write an old fashioned check and mail it with a stamp?  For crying out loud, OK so there's a problem renewing online and management has acknowledged it and hopefully will find a fix (ask Peter G, who I think set up the Pierce-Arrow Society online renewal).  All this griping is a time waste.  If you want to renew, send a check or call the office with your card number.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Robert, I am sure you know how to use the phone.  My cell is 717-350-5484 and I will be HAPPY to squeeze some money out of you.  If you must use the website let me know and I will pm you with the email address we have on file.  If you have that and remember your password there should be no problem since 6,000 other people have navigated it just fine.  We do have rabbit holes but they are around this building.

Oh and John, I do have SOME good qualities but not enough!  Ask my ex-wife!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Cole said:

Steve,

I'm sure your above response touched on a very sore point with some of us.  Why are non-members allowed to post in the Discussion Forums?  It seems like one should have to 'ante-up, for that privilege.  Perhaps restricting non-members from posting would cut down on some of the negative comments which at times seems to go unchecked. 

Count me as another who renewed using the online store.  Thanks for the support and good work you and your staff do for us paying members.

Regards, George

Since you mention me by name George I'll respond directly.

Restricting the forum to members only cuts out a large number of informed people with varied opinions and knowledge. Limiting it to members also limits it to a bubble of like minded people, an echo chamber of self reinforcing opinion. Respectful disagreement is healthy.

In my case, presently a non member, I am a fairly accomplished restorer and owner of a small but well equiped machine shop. Over the years I've helped a fair number of forum users, both members and not, with knowledge and more importantly with machine work, making or saving usually unobtainium parts for their cars. Machine time and in some cases material worth many thousands of dollars. I don't charge for this work other than postage. Some times I'm sent a generous thank you, most often not.

The forum, and the hobby, is far richer by the presence of this non member.

So if an occasional post comes across as negative and offends, you have my sympathy but not my apology............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Bob, it sounds as if you can renew simply by

calling the office with a credit card number.

You can see how service-oriented these folks are,

and talk with a friendly person instead of a

cantankerous computer!

Not the point, John, not the point............Bob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

When in doubt, pick up the phone.  Simple & done.  What is the issue?

I'll try again to explain the issue, Larry.

The issue is the opaque and confusing enrollment process on the web site. An issue that's been acknowledged for at least two years.

BUT, the issue is NOT about me. I know the club. I know it's benefits. As a restorer and recipient of it's highest awards I know, as most current club members do, that it's worth belonging.

And yet it's tedious and labyrinthine online renewal process was such a frustrating pain in the ass that even I chose to walk away.

Now, lets imagine that I'm a 30 something new owner of a 28 year old car. A PRIME demographic for the club's long term health. A friend mentions the AACA so I check it out on line where I do ALL my business. The forum looks interesting. Dues are reasonable. So I go to the AACA home page and click on join/renew figuring a couple of clicks, PayPal or Venmo, and I'd be a newly minted member. Instead I'm lead down a rabbit hole that has the logic of a bowl of spaghetti. I'm told to make a phone call and talk. Who does that? What kind of dinosaur club is this?  So I click the X and I'm gone. Another missed opportunity for the club.

Over at least the last 2+ years no one has any idea how many times that happened, nor does anyone appear to care.

Most businesses, and make no mistake the club is a business, bend over backwards and jump through any hoop to make it easy to close a sale. The club inexplicitly and knowingly makes it difficult to buy what it is selling.

I'm just the canary in the mine shaft. If knowing all the pluses of the club I can still be dissuaded from joining imagine the effect on a newbie.

As always.........Please refrain from killing the messenger..............Bob

Well, I just went out to the website, logged in with my email and password.  Updated my address and selected the renew a US membership.  Double checked my cart for the proper item and paid with Paypal.  No problem.  Maybe it was because I already had membership established, but the process is not convoluted at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bob, you are beating a dead horse. Steve has said they understand and are trying to fix the known problem. Your original post complained of $$ be wasted by management making phone calls to help solve the problem. Steve said they MUST solve the problem and still be fiscally responsible in doing so. He stated what the issue is and how they are fixing it. What more can be done. 
From my years in list management I know what it takes to integrate software programs from multiple systems. Especially when one system had to be custom made to cover all requirements and the other was a install and go. I know my company spent more money updating our system to be compatible every time the universe came out with a new software than we did on anything else over the fifty years we were in business. I’m sure the store system was originally purchased as it covered the needs and was cost effective. The need for on-line renewal was minimal at the time of purchase compared to today. 
My point is they know the problem, they are fixing it, there are other options for renewal or new membership and they are not spending the memberships money foolishly on a quick fix system that will not be totally compatible to the custom software that is much more expensive to change. Give them a break they understand the problem. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Bob, you are beating a dead horse. Steve has said they understand and are trying to fix the known problem. Your original post complained of $$ be wasted by management making phone calls to help solve the problem. Steve said they MUST solve the problem and still be fiscally responsible in doing so. He stated what the issue is and how they are fixing it. What more can be done. 
From my years in list management I know what it takes to integrate software programs from multiple systems. Especially when one system had to be custom made to cover all requirements and the other was a install and go. I know my company spent more money updating our system to be compatible every time the universe came out with a new software than we did on anything else over the fifty years we were in business. I’m sure the store system was originally purchased as it covered the needs and was cost effective. The need for on-line renewal was minimal at the time of purchase compared to today. 
My point is they know the problem, they are fixing it, there are other options for renewal or new membership and they are not spending the memberships money foolishly on a quick fix system that will not be totally compatible to the custom software that is much more expensive to change. Give them a break they I understand the problem. 
dave s 

Fair enough..........Bob

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 12:45 PM, George Cole said:

Steve,

Regards, George

I'll offer an opposing viewpoint. I've participated in this forum for years without being an AACA member, but finally joined this year, primarily due to the experience I've had here on the forum.

• Like 6

Ok, I’m embarrassed to admit it......I have attended the fall meet since 1971, vended there for more years I can count with a big display and tent......on “borrowed spaces”, and attended countless AACA shows, and was a forum member for well over ten years before I joined the AACA. I finally joined just because of a “Debt of Honor” that I felt I should become a paying member. I have so many club memberships I often times don’t get to read publications for weeks on end. I got to know Chris from the library and Steve from functions. Two great gentlemen. Hell.......I figure I cause Steve enough headaches from complaints here that besides the membership fee I owe him dinner every time I see him. Two months ago I gave him such a hard ribbing in public on the forum I sent in a 100 dollar donation to the library. Steve, being the gentleman that he is, invited me to give him more abuse and keep sending in the checks.  I know the benefits I receive from this forum are literally priceless......and I own and have owned some great cars directly to being active here........in many ways, I benefit beyond any monetary considerations from being here. Many of my car friends were introduced to me through contact here........and I’m eternally grateful. I guess I should just pull the trigger and get a life membership......and send Steve the message he will be dealing with my BS for years to come!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2