Guess the adjusters estimate to fix damage - 1938 Studebaker is settled

SC38dls

My reaction of frustration is only due to their calling me and telling me they would total the car due to a fix cost of $28460. Nothing about the other options I was told I had when I first reported the claim. I didn’t initiate the call. I was told when I made the claim an adjuster would be out within a week to see the car. That happened, he told me his report would be completed in no more than five days then within a week I would here back from the claims agent regarding my options. So I respect your experience in the insurance industry but I am basing my reactions on what the company handling this claim tells me. I’m not using my business experience as how this industry should work but how any service company should work to actually provide good service.  I tried to follow the progress of the claim online but there is no information on it. I would have waited for their call or email and that would have been fine as I realize these things take time. But if they didn’t have the information ready in the time they said they would get back to me why not call and say they are working on it and will take some more time to complete? That would be good service. Why call and make a blanket statement saying they are going to total it without having the options they said I would have presented to me to decide? 
The approach they did was flat out unprofessional and inconsiderate in my book. A company that keeps telling me how good they are about being responsible should be that way not half assed as this one has been. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

In the same situation I would probably admit to myself that it was my fault, drop the whole claim, and work through the repairs on my own.

The main reason would be to avoid any connection with a salvage, totaled, rebuilt, or branded title and all that process would bring with it. The repair work is straight forward. Although somewhat costly it is obvious manual labor.

The administrative work of the rebuild or reconstructed title in today's bumbling world would be an affair of delays, mistakes, and multiple requests for duplication of process steps you will wish you had never started.

Once repaired, should you decide to sell the car at some point there would be a strong likelihood it would go to another state where the branded title will come back to haunt both you and the buyer.

Get out or fix it yourself. Don't invite the bureaucracy. It is like the old story of how the vampire can't bite you unless you invite them in. There's a bloodsucker out there. Don't invite him in.

Edit: your last post came in concurrent with mine. Looks like you have an embryo vampire there. Put a stake in it.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The only reason I reported the accident was the other car. Also in the state of SC if a police report is issued the police do not report it to the state the individuals in the accident must report it and the insurance company has to report it. I suppose that is a way the state can be sure you have insurance. 
I agree a salvage title would be a mess I’m not wanting to go thru. A reasonable settlement by the insurance company so I don’t loose the car or have to get a salvage title and I will be very happy. I can always hope for the best. Worst case is I walk away with the guarantee 

Wish you well, besides the trauma of seeing your car damaged , you now have to deal with all the "red tape" of the stress of trying to get all the paperwork sorted and then trying to get your favorite car back to the way it was before anything happened. I think most of us look at our cars as part of the family, know they are a source of instant pleasure that can cure all the ills of daily life that we have to put up with. They are therapy for us, (just like these forums are !!!!!) We own an incredible piece of history that still functions the way it did before most of us were born if the car is pre 1950. ( or 1960 or 1970 for you 'young-uns")

I hope all of this gets sorted out asap and you can move on to see it start to return to its former self.

Walt

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

Not true in my state, and in many others. In my neck of the woods, for whatever reason you hit the car in front of you, the cops will say you were following too close. Given the slower stopping power of antique brakes, it's one of the reasons I hate driving my old cars in rush hour traffic.

I don't do this personally, but some people around here will even leave a car length or more between themselves and the car in front of them when at the stop light just in case they are rear ended by someone while stopped. They'll get a ticket for being pushed into the car in front of them. Strange but true. I've seen it happen. I DO NOT bring this up to assign blame in the OP's case, but to make forum members aware that such laws may exist in some parts of the country.

What you quoted is my opinion based on common sense.  I'm painfully aware the law seldom is.

I don't leave a lot of room at stoplights (probably should) but I do on the highway.  Invariably some asshole will blow around and cut in front, causing me to have to slam on the brakes.  🙄

• Like 1

Walt you hit the nail on the head. For the last 20+ months the 38 Studebaker was our salvation. Four or five times a week we’d say to Miss Gracie and Miss Sophia “time for our ride” the girls would jump in the backseat, my wife and I in the front and we would go for a ride. Sometimes twenty minutes other times for an hour or two. It was our escape and I think the pups enjoyed it as much as we did. 
It will eventually get sorted and hopefully I’ll just fix it and have fun with it again. I will let everyone know what happens. 
dave s 

ps- The car production order says it was manufactured on Aug 27 1937 one day short of being 9 years older than me. 

• Like 2

I was a claim investigator and adjuster in the Early 1970's,  I did that for 4 years and then became an agent an did that for 26 years.

Things I learned:   #1   Not all companies use theie own adjusters.   The hire outside adjusting companies to do their claims.

#2   Not all adjusters ar trained the same way, some women that are hired a telephine adjusters dolt know squat.

#3   Hagerty advertises that they have experienced antique car adjusters.   When you get your estimates and are

ready ro settle, ask for the Claim Department Manager.   His desire will be to settle and close the claim.

#4    If you have a complete estimate by a shop you trust to make your car right and do it for $8000, tell the claim

manager that you are willing to settle for that.   He'll take the deal, I would.

#5   The insurance company has no interest in getting your car to re-sell.  They have a $15.000 exposure and

have to reserve that money until the claim is closed.   It's in their interest to pay you and move on.

#6   They have a right o require you to fix the car if you wnat continue your insurance with them.  They don't                                                  want you to fix and come back later for hidden damage.  (Your wife is right) You may have to give up that                                              policy an start ovever after it's repaired by a professional shop with "completed operations insurance", 

That's acceptable to me too.                                       

#7    Keep in mind that all 50 States have their own insurance laws that effect things like total loss rules, many

companies are New York approved companies and that is the gold standard.   Once you get a figure and a 

shop that will commit to do the repair for less than $10,000, get you agent involved with claim manager

and settle the claim.   See #4 above.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Seems to me if the Mercedes lady slammed on the brakes for no reason in the middle of a green light, she was at fault, phone or no phone.  I'd guess the cop just didn't want to fool with it.

Here it is the second car's fault always, as the first car may have been stopping for a child/dog/downed electric line/ a car running the red light...... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Not all adjusters ar trained the same way, some women that are hired a telephine adjusters dolt know squat.

Nice sexist remark! Is this still the 1930s? Running a collision shop for years (80s and 90s) I can say I dealt with a lot more MALE idiot adjusters than females. 

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Here it is the second car's fault always, as the first car may have been stopping for a child/dog/downed electric line/ a car running the red light...... 

Yes, I know that is the law in many states, perhaps all.  Even if I agreed with it in the circumstances you list, none of those apply in this case.  Like I said in reply to a previous post, what you quoted is my opinion based on common sense.  I'm painfully aware the law seldom is.

Dave, first I am so terribly sorry for your misfortune, as I have followed, silently, your journey with the Studebaker and have admired the great care you have given it and your posts have amply demonstrated the great love you and your family (including The Girls) have had for this car.

In a California rearender, there is a presumption, a rebuttable presumption, that the second (tailing) car is at fault.  Almost 20 years ago, I had the same experience with my 1981 Mercedes 280SL but the car in front wasn't doing anything with a phone--she just started, went 10 feet, and then balked for no apparent reason after the light turned green.  Not worth fighting over, and no police were called.  I was the "at fault" party because I had no evidence that she was doing anything she was required NOT to do.

At this point, negotiation with your own company seems to be the only course of action.  You have had a lot of great advice from forum members who obviously care about you and want the best for you.  I like the idea of settling for $8k or so, then fixing it yourself.

For all who read this:  I like to accept the automatic annual increases in value (and resulting additional premiums) that Grundy (in my case) offers.  Very cheap.  In the care of a garage fire or a fire on the road or (heaven forbid) a rollover, I'd get paid more than I could ever sell any of my cars for.  And because it's Agreed Value, I don't anticipate any quibble from the company.  Another benefit is that this coverage pushes the "we want to total it" envelope ever outward, so that if I have a loss like yours and my company has "told me" that my car is now worth $25k rather than the $15k I paid for it 8 or so years ago, I'm much more likely to be able to repair a significant loss (but not a total loss) with what a company will grudgingly give me.

I'd appreciate any feedback from our members with insurance broker/adjuster experience.

Edited by Grimy
corrected misspelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

In Mass it is always the second cars fault no matter what stupid thing the first car does.   And I've seen some stupid things.

In the center of our town we have two lanes at a light.  The left lane can go straight or left - but the left is just slightly staggered by 20 feet. Based on the topology of the town the left is actually not used that much.   The number of people that sit at the light with no signal on and then on the green proceed 15 feet and then stop hard and turn their signal on is amazing.

Also, because they didn't signal at the light you are trapped because the right lane will be jammed.  Lots of fun.  People are really dumb.

• Like 2

Grimy, I accept responsibility as I was stupid for not leaving enough room and anticipating someone doing something like that. I was happy a witness stuck around until the cop came and told him what happened, that was also a bit unusual. 
The car has been fun for us including the “girls” they both would get excited when we would say it’s time for a ride. Unfortunately we have to say good bye to Miss Sophie a week before this happened. She made it past her 15th birthday then started having serious problems. They are sisters from the same litter and I think Gracie still is trying to figure things out without her. 
I am hopeful I can work out a reasonable result for both the ins co and me. Time will tell. 
dave s 

I was involved in an accident with my 1990 Thunderbird several years ago, other person's fault.  I have JC Taylor insurance agreed value of $3000, the damage was around $4500.  Front fender, hood, headlight, parking light, and headlight support panel.  JCTaylor sent out an adjuster From Farmers Ins.  I was able to buy the car back for around $750 dollars, so I received $2250 from JCTaylor, they wanted a photo copy of the title, no reconstructed title as they said car is an antique.  Repaired car myself by buying a complete parts car, and JC Taylor is still insuring it.

I think it was off insurance for one year and then I got a letter asking if I still owned the car, which caught me off guard, and if I did I need to send pictures and receipts of repairs including my labor.  They never even notified the state as I never got notification from PENNDOT to return my antique plate.

See what the buyback number is and information on the title and go from there.  I think your buyback number will be really low, $2-3k.  Good luck.

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dave like others have said, sorry to hear of your misfortune and the stress and aggrevation that is happening as a result. I do hope that in the end things work out the best for all involved. I think there will be a silver lining in there somewhere.

As far as insurance, I have Grundy and my car is actually insured with another company. I dont know if Grundy owns that company or is indeed just a broker.

Fault, it doesnt matter at this point. All we can do is move forward and seek the best resolution. No sense in dwelling on something that cant be changed at this point.

Several years ago there was a youngish' girl driving a pickup, she had her 8yo son in the car, and another older girl. She was heading directly at me across the line on a back country road. I kept thinking she would see me and move back over. At the last minute I swerved (into the ditch as there was no shoulder). She was so close her mirror hit my dr. side mirror with it exploding in a million pieces inside of my truck.  I could see she was using her phone, looked like texting. She kept going, I had to turn around, chased her at a high rate of speed for about 5 miles before I could get her to stop. When I confronted her she acted surprised at the tale that I told of her hitting me!  I honestly dont know if she was either BSing or just that oblivious. Cops showed up. Told me it was her word against mine, she said there was a bee in the car. No one injured so no ticket or even a written report. I got her info, which was falsified as I found out when I tried to collect for damages. I ended up footing the bill for the new mirror. The only good thing was that the shop misquoted the damage for $250. it should have been $750. They were the only stand up guys and stood by their original quote.

• Like 2

For right or for wrong, the technicality is what it is. You are doing the right thing. As TAKerry said

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Fault, it doesnt matter at this point. All we can do is move forward and seek the best resolution. No sense in dwelling on something that cant be changed at this point.

Saddened to hear about the one of 'your girls'. Silly creatures. They do have away of getting into your heart, don't they.

• Thanks 1

If my guarantee is 15,000 and it cost 5000 to fix and 5000 buy back I would still be 5000 in the good. The problem is it will have a salvage title is not worth getting the 5 grand. That is OK as long as its mine but selling it will be a hassle I do not want my family to have to deal with in the future. Hopefully that's a long time from now, but the way I mistreated this body in my youth it may not be that long! But it was well worth it. 

dave s 

If you can , try to get a rebuilt title if you can't get a regular title.

The car behind may not always be at fault.

I was the second car at a set of stop lights in the left turn lane.

The first started to turn, stopped, then backed up ten or so feet and took out the left fender. There was traffic behind me so there was no backing out of the way.

He took off and I fallowed him while my wife was talking to the police giving them all the info.

A check came 1/2 year later.

Another thought for you.   Your policy is a contract between you and the insurance company, which is approved by your states Insurance Commission.   They had to get contract approval to sell insurance in your state.   Contact the state insurance commisioners office and request their help.   Your problem is that the carrier is not responding to your claim.   A call from them may move your claim to the top of the pile.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spill check (see edit history)

Paul, to be fair they are responding but with very little information. The claims lady had one piece of information and that had no detail of how they came to that number or what it covered. For all I know they were using concours de elegance repair numbers for a driver quality car that will never be in a show. They may have said the whole car needed to be painted instead of the two fenders. She had no information about the possible buy back. She had false information about the title if I did buy it back. So they responded but not very well and definitely incomplete. 
There has been some talk about dealing with a broker or an insurance company. Hagerty took my money for a policy they contracted with me. To me that is a legal binding contract. I didn’t send my money to any other company but Hagerty. Therefore I am dealing with them not anyone else. They may have sold the policy or transferred it to some other company but not as far as I am concerned. No matter who calls me or I call and talk to they are Hagerty by contract. I’m sure sometime in the next week I will hear back from them and we will figure it all out to where we are all satisfied. One good thing I know the worst case scenario is I get a check for $15,000. Then I have to find another car and probably add cash too it and not let my wife know I’m spending more than what I got for the 38 !!!

Some years ago my Hudson was T boned while parked. The "old car guy" insurance company had no interest in discussing repairs, they couldn't wait to write-off the car and give me the 10K the car was insured for and have me off the books. The driver of the other vehicle was cooperative and had plenty of insurance, but the fact I had insured mine for 10K was all they would give me. I kept the wreck and I fixed it myself (with the help of friends and their specialized tools), spending maybe 2K on materials and about 100 hours of labour over many weekends. Not a professional level job, but it is fixed and being driven. The issue seems to be modern body shops are geared to quick turnover of modern vehicles and are scared of an older car taking up space in their shop; places willing to do it will have a lower turnover so have to charge more. 

I've been involved in several cases over the years, mostly with late models but some older as well, where the owner was eventually able to negotiate repair per the shop estimate well below the total loss point. It typically takes getting the matter before a more experienced claims rep who is willing to do a bit of work. When I've been involved in cases like this a major point of concern is the type of shop that is willing to work that cheap tends to write vague, handwritten estimates that don't inspire much confidence in the insurance professional. The insurer would rather total it now than total it in January after you've spent months trying to get it fixed. If the shop can really prove their estimate is legit that could go a long way. 

• Like 1

I don't know what you financial situation is, but if you've got $5K then drop the claim and fix the car.  In this case Hagerty "won" but you get to keep your car with same title.  If you want to save money then disassemble the car, find both fenders, reassemble everything to make sure it all fits correct and then take that to a body shop for paint.  If you're not going to pay for blended paint, then you might just take the fenders for paint (assuming that is all that is damaged).

I did this twice with my daughter's car though the second time I did the paint myself.  The first time I worked with the adjuster, in person, to suggest lower prices on parts, suggest something might just be left as is, etc, etc.  They paid me cash to then get the car fixed. I then bought the replacement panels, prepped them for paint, made sure they fit correctly and took them to a body shop for paint.  With the second accident I didn't even bother with an insurance claim as I knew I could get the parts and do the job for less than they'd increase my rates.

Or... start shopping for a new old car!!

• Like 2

Several lessons learned over the years.......if the car is important to you, do agreed value at twice its replacement cost. It's easy to do IF you have good credit history. When they ask to support you valuation, just say it's an over restored car and I want to be able to replace it quickly in the event of a total loss. Last year, a close friend was in the same situation.............actual car value was 65k, damage was 118k, but agreed value was 180. Car was fixed easily and quickly.........when there is no money fighting by insurance companies the repair is easy. The good news, the owner got his car back, fixed correctly, and everyone was happy...the down side is a slightly higher premium. It's hard to find very good cars, and it's easy to pay a little extra. With most of us older.........do you have the time and energy to deal with shit like this? I don't. Having the extra cash on agreed value gives you instant access to replacing the car QUICKLY, and that's what insurance is for. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Then I have to find another car and probably add cash too it and not let my wife know I’m spending more than what I got for the 38 !!!

I have always tried to help my wife lead a more blissful life than I.

18 minutes ago, edinmass said:

. With most of us older.........do you have the time and energy to deal with shit like this? I don't. Having the extra cash on agreed value gives you instant access to replacing the car QUICKLY, and that's what insurance is for. 

True words Ed, Life is short, can be over before you know it for no expected or possible anticipated reason. That hit home for me the end of 2017. I am just happy to be here and very thankful to have good Doctors/surgeon etc. I am still around to annoy all of you with all the archaic information, history, images, photographs. We all have some things in life we know from past experience that are a spirit lifting way to keep going, be positive , know that this is what life is about - one for many of us is spending nearly a week standing/walking/ sitting in a parking lot in central Pennsylvania in early October surrounded by used car parts , and the aroma of chocolate in the air ( even if we are instructed by our doctors we shouldn't consume same) .

Walt

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Walt G said:

be positive , know that this is what life is about - one for many of us is spending nearly a week standing/walking/ sitting in a parking lot in central Pennsylvania in early October surrounded by used car parts , and the aroma of chocolate in the air

That took me right back to those early, extra warm Spring days in the 1960's. I would open the door on one of those Mohair interior cars warmed by the sun and enjoy the heat and aroma combined. Remembering a pale green '40 Pontiac coupe that sat on the corner of the lane where the Ford row started.

Not much for chocolate and sweets but I remember the smell of old Mohair having the slight taste of corn on the cob.

• Like 1

An excelent disscussion as I am dealing with a similar situation with my 1937 Buick.

Admitted fault by the other driver. He accelerated into me from a stop sign while I was going at posted speed on a thru road. Someone in my opposing lane of traffic waved him ahead. His comment with witnesses "I didn't even look"!

20210801_182357.jpg.5b16b09007ede58a05431fbce22d9ec1.jpgMy carrier J.C.Taylor would have given me the agreed amount and I could keep the car. To agree with Ed, yes I should have an agreed value at 2X the current value guide for a #3 condition nice reliable driver. But I did not. The Erie adjuster had no experience with an antique. He did request all my restoration invoices which I provided totaling close to $25,000. All within the last 10 years.

Now in the 6th week with no resolution. When the Erie adjuster cotacted me he gave me a value of $11,906.50. His supervisor The Totaled Car manager gave me a $12,703.67 valuation. These both included a $2,500 buy back. He alo told me that they would not consider any of my invoices since they were more than a year old. When I first spoke with the adjuster while he spent 2 hours in the process at my site evaluation the car I indicated that the $15,050 2020 Old Cars value showed for a #3 was a fair amount with NO buy back. Still no word a week after untill I pushed and asked about how they came up with the amount. He said I should have recieved a determination document. His supervisor did not send it.

What they came up with was compared estimate value of (2) 2 door cars for sale in the eastern region.

I am still plodding thru this. And best of luck with your situation.

• Like 2

dibarlaw - You are ENTITLED to be made whole. Tell them to replace a car in like condition.......trust me, you will have to take time and some headaches, but getting an expert in post accident valuation is worth your time. Explain to them your car was capable of going cross country without any issues or problems, and that is what you want in a replacement car..........when the claim starts to age out.......and it get's on the upper managements time out list.....then they start to deal. You were the victim..........take your time, tell them a 35k buy out is reasonable for a sorted car. Call the state devision of insurance and your local representative if necessary ..........BE REASONABLE.......tell them you only want to be made whole......and want another car, NOT money. Have a lawyer's name ready.........it's easier to pay you than fight you over 15k more.......

• Like 5

I had a 1988 Cadillac that had regular ins. I was hit by a at fault driver.

Their ins. looked at it and went away.

I repaired it and just when I finished it (about a month after the accident) i summited the invoice for about $500 less than the value of the car.

They THEN, told me that they had totaled the car!

BUT, because the car had been repaired for less than the value of the car, they paid me my invoice in full

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Several lessons learned over the years.......if the car is important to you, do agreed value at twice its replacement cost. It's easy to do IF you have good credit history. When they ask to support you valuation, just say it's an over restored car and I want to be able to replace it quickly in the event of a total loss.

As an agent, I would not accept that risk on behalf of any carrier.   Making the insurance carrier the best possible buyer for     

anything is not good underwriting or good risk selection.   I never bound coverage on anything without inspecting it and

agreeing on it's insurable value.   People do things like launching their boat with a over insured Rolls Royce with a bad engine

and having the brakes fail putting the boat and the Rolls in salt water.   Total loss of Rolls and Insurance $.   

Garages with a #4 car insured as a #1 have burned down.

Jewelry stores are famous for recomending that a $500 ring should be insured for $15,000.   

Some people claim inflated values and limited use of a garaged vehicles an then use them as daily drivers, never seeing a garage.

They justify their dishonesty by claiming all insurance is a racket and feel entitled to cheat it.

This whole thread has suprised me.   I have always heard the Hagerty had well trained adjusters and fair claim practices until

this thread.   Ignoring the insured is not a good business practice and I doubt that Hagerty is aware of this claim at the

management level.

Hagerty is not the insurance company, they are the broker who places risks with insurance carriers and does much of the service

and claim work for the carrier.   Is it clear where the problem is?   Is it Hagerty or the insurance carrier?   As I said earlier I would

start with place where you signed up for the insurance, be that an independent agent who brokers through Hagerty or directly

with Hagerty.  The agent has an interest in seeing your treated fairly, because he did the risk selection.

• Like 3

Paul, in the collector car world agreed value policies like I described for cars are common place. You don’t see them often on cars under 50k, but in forty years I have insured a lot more of my own cars than most........never had an issue with a chosen number. Try and replace a true 100 point car at any price, especially if it’s an off brand uncommon car..........the underwriters I have dealt with have always asked for a reason,  and when explained they understood the thought process and the risk. Having multiple cars and no claims for years helps.........I have a sedan insured for 350k, as that is what I have in it. It’s current market value....under 100, but to replace it is impossible.........literally in every sense of the word. I don’t want money, but in a total loss situation I will have a chance to be made whole.

You said you never bound coverage on something you haven’t inspected.........we couldn’t work together. I regularly buy high end cars, and have coverage at time of deposit .........and we are talking very high end vehicles.......seven figures plus. Customers who have insurable interest at that league won’t tolerate exposure to loss. On high end cars, AIG seems to be the easiest to deal with.............anything under five large doesn’t require a phone call ,just an email with a brief description. Personally, my own policy covers any new purchase for ten days........on cars up to 500k. Over that, they want a heads up.

What did you do for customers who go to an auction and buy five cars? They need insurance as soon as the hammer drops? On very high end cars, I have had binders written BEFORE we actually bought the car.........agreed that it’s not a normal situation.........but most collectors who have high end stuff ..........zero exposure is the only reasonable alternative.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TTR said:

BTW, now that this is settled, where do I go or who do I need to see about my "bragging rights" certificate ? 🙄

TRR I will see what I can do to make a certificate. I am not much of an artist, maybe Walt can help me out with something. I’ll work on it in the next few months. There is an old saying “I would rather owe you than cheat you out of it”. That applies here so someday I am sure you will collect. 
dave s 

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

TRR I will see what I can do to make a certificate. I am not much of an artist, maybe Walt can help me out with something. I’ll work on it in the next few months. There is an old saying “I would rather owe you than cheat you out of it”. That applies here so someday I am sure you will collect. 
dave s 

Dave, there’s absolutely no need to take my (intended) joke seriously. 😳

You already indicated in your initial topic post that no awards were being offered or forthcoming.

If anything, I’ll be pleased if you (as Ed said) are being “made whole” after this unfortunate event and lackluster communications by your insurer.

Besides, any award or certificate would just end up in the same place as those before it/them…

(actually I have couple that may seem like nothing to most, but for me they mean more than if I were to win BoS at Pebble, Cavallino Classic, Villa d’Este, etc.)

• Like 1

Its comparing apples to oranges, but when my barn/shop burnt down the adjuster hit me with a low ball offer. I refused and he came back with a bit more but still about half of what it would cost to rebuild. I talked to my agent, whom I have known for many years and has family that is a very good customer of mine as well as I am a good customer of his. He went to bat for me and got me a fair and equitable settlement.  Sometimes its good to know your agent on a first name basis as opposed to just writing a check every month.

• Like 1