Look both ways, then look again.

f.f.jones

This is the result of a residential traffic collision caused when the SUV blasted through an intersection and found out the hard way that the Corvette was already there. 

SUV was at fault, but maybe, just maybe, a second glance may have saved a lot of expensive repairs (and heartbreak). 

corvette crunch.jpg

No sympathy for SUV driver here. Blowing a stop sign or red light is inattention (or maybe INtention, who knows?) pure and simple. If it's proven that driver was using an electronic distraction the fines and insurance payout should be doubled, but that could only be in a perfect world. Hitting these knuckleheads hard in the wallet or assets is the only way they'll rethink their ways.

The entrance to Virginia International Raceway is 2 miles from the house. The road into the track and the access road from North Carolina both have the biggest stop signs in the county- at least 5 feet across. Track traffic will blow thru those stop signs like they aren't there. It's gotten bad enough that the State Police will station a trooper within sight distance of that intersection during any big event there, and they usually write ten or more tickets during the course of the event.

Ya think it slows 'em down any? Nah. Even though it cuts 2 miles off the trip to town, I rarely go out that way any more. Couple times of having to take the ditch to avoid getting t-boned will do that to you.

• Like 2

I just returned home from a road trip from Sacramento, CA to Eugene, OR and back.  Any illegal and dangerous maneuver by other drivers I witnessed on this trip.  It amazes me how inconsiderate and deadly people can become when they get behind the wheel of a car.   

Don't count on 'your' right-of-way to protect you! Watch for the morons and jerks that think rules don't apply to them. I have managed to avoid a lot of collisions by being watchful.

There just aren't enough known facts here to judge who was or wasn't at fault. The OP says the SUV was at fault, and maybe he was. I see nothing in the photo to make a judgement either way.

In any case, that Vette is going to be one expensive repair! I hope they both had really good insurance.

Here in Grass 'Valium', the problem is a bit different. Most of the people in this county never did learn how to drive a car. They cannot seem to figure out how to get it going? Cannot figure out who's turn it is at a stop sign? From a full stop, it can take three blocks to reach the 25 mph speed limit! All in all, I would rather this than too many people blowing through stop signs on residential streets at 45 mph! But somehow, we do get a few too many of those also.

10 hours ago, Fossil said:

It almost looks like the SUV was on it's side when the Vette collided with it. The Vette doesn't appear to have entered the intersection yet.

2 weeks ago I took my Trans Am out for gas and a short jaunt. Stopped at a T intersection. I was on the travel portion of the highway, left turn lane. The T section has a flashing red they can turn left or right when the coast is clear. Traffic coming right at us and the lady in the SUV at the T decides to pull out. She hit the car in rear quarter panel, pushing it around pretty hard, literally missed my car by inches. My wife and I both braced for the impact it was THAT close! Broken bits of car flying everywhere, somehow nothing hit us. It was a pretty bad hit, but fortunately no one was hurt. Lady that pulled into traffic had 3 young children in the car.

When I taught both my son and my daughter how to drive I asked each "Do you know what the right of way means? They each answered "Yes". And I told them "Yours is revoked". Never trust another driver to do the right thing.

• Like 4

Most of us here learned to drive when "defensive driving" was part of driving instruction and even heavily promoted in media. I remember those National Safety Council "Green Cross for Safety" tv spots. But it sure seems to me current emphasis is on offensive driving...

Being retired and now having time to do it, I think I might take an AARP driving refresher course next time one is offered locally, same as I take an NRA pistol refresher course every few years. And hope the instructor is competent!😺

• Like 2

I live in an area where there are a lot of golf courses. There are two or three 4way stop signs for golf cart crossings. I stopped in the 38 as there was a group of carts just pulled up to it so I let them cross. Two had cleared my car when I heard brakes screeching, looked in my rear view mirror to she a lady in her Lexus SUV looking very upset just off my rear bumper. As I looked at the next golf cart who had stopped another SUV coming in the opposite direction ran the stop sign!  The golfer just shook his head. I waved both the two carts waiting thru just to see how upset the Lexus lady would get, she did not disappoint. Maybe I shouldn’t have done it but at the time it seemed appropriate. 
dave s 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

A lot of my work through life has been troubleshooting problems. One of the best methods is to ask "How could I create this condition if I wanted to".

Looking at the picture objectively I get to thinking - if the husband told his wife he had to run to the hardware store and left her home with only the Corvette in the garage..........

corvette crunch.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

When I taught both my son and my daughter how to drive I asked each "Do you know what the right of way means? They each answered "Yes". And I told them "Yours is revoked". Never trust another driver to do the right thing.

When I've taught people how to ride a motorcycle or just talked to anybody who showed an interest in learning to ride.  I tell them:  "Every car, truck, vehicle on the road is out to get you!"  No ands, ifs or butts, they are all out to get you, period.🤪

Capt. Harley😉

Skirts are for women and not car fenders!

• Like 3

It's sad to see a sweet old car damaged by something that could have been avoided - no doubt heartbreaking for the vette owner.  No sympathy for the SUV although it appears to have gotten the worst of it.

A while back, I was first in line at a 4-way red light.  When it changed, I started across the intersection when I caught a glimpse of a pickup barreling toward my left.  Fortunately I had time to slam on my brakes so he whizzed by totally oblivious just inches from my bumper.  When it comes to driving, as Fox Mulder said on the old X-Files show, "Trust no one!"

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Captain Harley said:

When I've taught people how to ride a motorcycle or just talked to anybody who showed an interest in learning to ride.  I tell them:  "Every car, truck, vehicle on the road is out to get you!"  No ands, ifs or butts, they are all out to get you, period.🤪

Capt. Harley😉

Skirts are for women and not car fenders!

I've survived thousands and thousands of miles on a street bike because I ride like I'm invisible to other drivers.

Plus, if you study driver behavior enough, you can almost always tell a car is going to do something before it does.

Whether it's the driver shifting in their seat, or looking in a certain direction.  Hard to explain, but the clues are there if you pay enough attention.

And one of the best things for improving your street skills is to ride in the dirt.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Just do what I tell my kids when they drive my old cars "Pretend you are Invisible" works for motorcycles also.

Well at least they wont have to fix the hood, looks like they left it at home?  I have fixed much worse.

One would think you would be extra visible in an old car, especially if it's in a now-uncommon color. Unfortunately, it seems like it's often the opposite, or maybe people do see and get in a rush to avoid getting stuck behind the 'slow old car'. Of course, it doesn't matter if the other driver isn't even looking at the road.

11 hours ago, AL1630 said:

One would think you would be extra visible in an old car,

Many years ago a friend of mine was in a fender (and grille) bender in his consistent first place winning 1958 Silver Cloud. At the time the woman who hit him with her Chrysler K-car, upon hearing it was a 1958, said "At least it wasn't a new car".

It is a paradigm thing.

17 hours ago, zepher said:

Plus, if you study driver behavior enough, you can almost always tell a car is going to do something before it does.

Whether it's the driver shifting in their seat, or looking in a certain direction.  Hard to explain, but the clues are there if you pay enough attention.

I agree, but with the dark tinted glass on the cars it has made it harder.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:24 AM, rocketraider said:

Being retired and now having time to do it, I think I might take an AARP driving refresher course next time one is offered locally, same as I take an NRA pistol refresher course every few years. And hope the instructor is competent!😺

Both AARP and AAA offer "Mature Driver" courses. I took the AAA Course on-line three years ago. The course was said to take 8 hours and it took me a little longer than that. This course give you pop quizzes after some sections and a test at the end. in order to "pass" the course one has to get at least 80% of the answers correct. I recently took the "refresher" course on-line which was said to take 4 hours and it took me longer than that. FYI, when taken on line, this course does not let one skip a section or progress faster than the course allows. I suspect that that the in person courses probably take about the same mount of time.

EVERYONE here should seriously consider taking these courses as a LOT of things have changed over the years when it comes to driving. For example, I was taught to hold the steering wheel at 10 & 2. NOT any longer. 9 & 3 or 8 & 4 are where one is supposed to hold the steering wheel these days. This change came about due to steering wheel airbags. If one holds the steering wheel at 10 & 2 and the airbag deploys you have a increased risk of having your arms hitting you in the face or your wrists getting broken. These are also guidelines for how close one sits to the steering wheel of a vehicle with airbags. These are just a couple of the things that are new or different from when most of us learned how to drive.

This course is all about REDUCING one's RISK when driving and all the things one can do to achieve that goal. That is probably one of the reasons why many automobile insurance companies offer a discount to their policyholders who take these courses (and PASSES). In my case I get a 5% discount off of certain parts of my policy (not the entire policy cost). FYI, this discount applies to both my regular auto policy and my antique auto policy. BTW, the policy discounts are only good for 3 years and then one has to take a refresher course. My antique policy carrier "reminded" be that the 3 years was up and it was time to take the course or lose the discount.

Yes, these courses take time. For me, I am willing to put in the time to be as safe a driver as I can be for myself and others on the road.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, charlier said:

For example, I was taught to hold the steering wheel at 10 & 2. NOT any longer. 9 & 3 or 8 & 4 are where one is supposed to hold the steering wheel these days.

And, "they" found, with the quick steering ratios of today's vehicles, and no arm force required because of power steering, having hands at 2 and 10 made way more overcorrection accidents, which on top heavy vehicles also causes roll overs.  These are the drop a wheel off the travel surface then jerk the wheel to correct, sending the vehicle across the other lane and into the dirt.

• Like 1

I know lots of people on this site don't believe any normal news source, but here is the article, and it explains a lot of what happened. Good pictures. Yes, the SUV slid its roof into the not moving Corvette. 

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/jul/15/little-red-corvette-hit-by-car-going-much-too-fast/