Guess my new toy

auburnseeker

So I needed to shuffle some stuff around in the garage and figured it was a good time to fire up the Brockway and get it out , to let the new gas run through and double check to make sure the temp gauge was working as it never seemed to come up, though it starts at 130.  So I checked it with my heat gun and it does appear to be working as it was just starting to get past that point. Either takes quite a while to warm up because of the size,  or the heat riser is not working/ or the Thermostat is stuck or missing. 

Figured with it out I would snag a couple of quick pics. 

Lots of polishing left to do,  but here she is with some new chrome lug covers, the Battery box polished, the interior mostly cleaned, and the paint on the passenger side  door and cowl wet sanded and buffed. Spots around the truck are buffing spatter for the moist part.   You can see I'm part way down the hood even.  

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

• Like 12

Yup it's a 5 speed with a two speed rear.  

Will have to get some photos of the engine. 

It was running better with the fresh gas but may need to pull the carb and rebuild it.  Still seemed sluggish from idle but better.  Smoothed out a fair amount as well.  Sounds like it's running a tad rich, though I didn't notice much black from the stack when I revved it,  though the inside is pretty sooted.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Very impressive!  Quite a jump from 230 ci to 427 ci!  How about a look at the engine?

Yup 200 more cubes but almost 3 times the weight.  Top speed is also significantly reduced as well.  But it has a sort of cool factor that overcomes,  the shortfalls. 

Time to go put it back in the garage.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I've got to get a picture of it and My Hudson together.  That's super low.  The roof is probably lower than the hood. 

I've always found 40's Hudson pickups to be very stylish; right after 1937-'39 Studebaker Coupe Expresses.

46_Hudson_PU.jpg

• Like 1

Your truck is well known to Brockway people. If you take it to the Brockway show in Cortland next year, you can learn a lot about the history of your 152W.  It is nice to see it back in circulation. I believe it began life as an oil delivery truck in Scranton, PA. 

There is a small but very dedicated group of us Brockway collectors. You just missed a great weekend full of Brockway activities including a parade and show in Cortland. Put it on your schedule for next year, you will be glad you did. Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve S. in PA said:

Your truck is well known to Brockway people. If you take it to the Brockway show in Cortland next year, you can learn a lot about the history of your 152W.  It is nice to see it back in circulation. I believe it began life as an oil delivery truck in Scranton, PA. 

There is a small but very dedicated group of us Brockway collectors. You just missed a great weekend full of Brockway activities including a parade and show in Cortland. Put it on your schedule for next year, you will be glad you did. Steve

It appears to have yellow paint on wheels and I believe chassis parts way underneath. I figured maybe it was a county or town tractor used to haul a lowboy, that's why the body survived so well as it obviously spent alot of time inside. Doesn't appear it ever had any real rust on the chassis either as there is not deep pitting. 

Would be interesting to see an old photo of it. 

Wonder when it got the 5th wheel? 

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Congrats on the truck Randy very nice !..

Are you thinking about putting some lettering on it? If so, what would you put?

Hadn't thought much of lettering.  I kind of like them clean with none.  Of course could always work up something in the way of magnetic I suppose. 

With the Humid hot weather coming again and the Dodge gone (one strange Story on that deal) I figured I would stick the Brockway in the small garage that's climate controlled.  Looks like plenty of room in the photo but it was tight slipping it in there.  Especially since I have 5 cars in a 4 car garage. 

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

• Like 4

"Wonder when it got the 5th wheel? "

As I recall, the truck was a tanker. The fifth wheel was installed when the truck was restored. I don't think the truck ever pulled a trailer in its working life. The 152W model was not intended for tractor duty, it was designed as a straight truck. 

This truck was presented as a Coca Cola truck for many years, I believe one of the former owners had some business association with Coke, and he had a nice display of memorabilia . Steve

• Like 1

Brockway made something like 1000 to 1200 trucks per year in that time period. Production was never very high. Brockways were built slowly, and sold at a premium, but they gave excellent service over many years. They did very little advertising before the sixties. The trucks sold themselves. 

• Like 1

I was told as long as it's registered as historical and obviously not used in a Commercial venture (which would be against the Historical plates use anyways) you don't need one.  Just a regular license will suffice. 

It's taller,  but really actually shorter than a new crew cab dually with an 8 foot bed.   I believe its 19 feet long, Bumper to frame tips. 

59 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I was told as long as it's registered as historical and obviously not used in a Commercial venture (which would be against the Historical plates use anyways) you don't need one.  Just a regular license will suffice. 

It's taller,  but really actually shorter than a new crew cab dually with an 8 foot bed.   I believe its 19 feet long, Bumper to frame tips. 

That is the same as Alberta.  If one does not use it for commercial purposes, regular (or 'antique') plates will suffice, though I believe one does need their 'air ticket' if it has an airbrake system.  Class-A motorhomes, which essentially fall under the same category for personal use can also run on regular vehicle plates.

My truck has regular vehicle plates, though I have a non-valid commercial truck YOM plate for the front.

Craig

63_8E45E_RrLcBrkt.jpg

63_YOM_Plate.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 10:21 AM, Steve S. in PA said:

You probably know my neighbor for many years (until we moved 2 years ago), Walt Carmon.  Last I knew he had a few trucks at the Cortland museum.  I believe he had an 88th birthday party this year and no doubt he was the life of the party.  He accomplishes more in a day than I do in a week.

Jim

Randy your bringing out the big boy folks.  When my dad was delivering for Mack, he would always comment on how many guys had a vitage truck in a corner.

To this day at a show, he will walk right by a Model J Duesey without even a side glance to examine something like the Brockway.  Or a Diamond T or a Mack..  Congrats again, you are always turning something great! 👍

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I appreciate most all old cars to some degree,  but figured since I'm only going to be able to experience a few in my lifetime,  might as well really explore the options and be open minded.  When ever I tell my friends they should stop up and see my latest toy,  they always know it's most likely not going to be a mustang or a tri five Chevy, but very possibly something that might be some time before they ever see one in person again. 

The only Normal car in the garage right now is my 32 Ford. The 31 Auburn Phaeton, 36 cord phaeton, and a Hudson Big boy  really create a bit of an eclectic mix.  

I've been wet sanding and buffing on her and she's coming up pretty nice.  I got alot of one side done.  Working on the hood today. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the truck over the last couple of weeks.  I got about 1/2 of it wet sanded and buffed.  Here are a few photos.  I pulled the stack so I could take the aluminum step off to polish it.  I'm part way through that very dirty job.  Just ordered a few Tyvek Suits as it took forever to get the black off me the first day.  It's coming up nice though and the truck looks pretty nice in the shop under the Flourescent lights.  The roof had a pretty rough finish but I cut it down with 1000 grit first then 1500 and 2000 with a hand buff in mother's.  Here are some in progress photos I took today.  If the Driver's side comes up as good,  I'll be happy.  

IMG_4379.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

IMG_4381.JPG

IMG_4382.JPG

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

• Like 3

Congrats on that beautiful new vehicle, Auburnseeker! Are you actually going to acquire a trailer for it? I can think of nothing more impressive than hauling some of your old cars to an event with that beautiful truck. The trailer in that old photo you posted looks super stylish. More so than any new trailer I've seen. I would imagine those are even rarer than the Brockway, though. Best wishes.

No plans for a trailer right now.  I don't think i have ever seen an old car hauler trailer for sale, though I was never looking.  I did see a cool streamlined single axle tanker trailer maybe a year ago though. I'm Just getting it wet sanded and buffed out now,  then polish all the Diamond plate, eventually on to tires and maybe swap the rims out,  after that and a carb rebuild.  Eventually I hope to find a good gauge panel.  Fits many years of Brockway and I believe 33-34 Buick 40 series is the same.  

Just a big toy to play with for now on the hot humid summer days in my nice cool garage.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is one on ebay in ME as well.  it's a 48.  Much rougher than this one.  Interesting to see it has the same windows.  Looks like it was almost restored at some point by the base clear paint but then left to go to hell outside. Surprised there are still as may as there are out there.  I wonder what the chances of one even this decent ever getting restored?

I did get the step polished out and back in place, waiting on new stainless bolts to mount it.  I also disassembled the stack and completely polished everything then got it back on the truck but that was after the photos.  

It came up very nice but took 8 hours just buffing with the wheels on my big dewalt buffer.  I'm going to sand the other pieces with 1000 grit first.  That should really speed up the process as even using emery compound which is really for hard metals to cut faster for a first step it was still really tedious with very slow progress.  Messy as can be as well so I bought some hazmatt full suits with the hood as it took a 1/2 hour to clean the black grime off me the first time I buffed it without a suit.  Last photo is the before pic. 

There is a big rod show in town this weekend.  Wish I had her ready to go.  I would go run right down through town with her.  I think I will register her for it next year.  

Still need to get new rubber for her.   I would like to switch to more modern Aluminum wheels (I know not correct) but since I[m going to be that deep into rubber anyways,  would be nice to swap it out to an easier to find tire size.  By the time I blast and paint the wheels  as the paints flaking and get everything witched over with new tubes.  I doubt it would be more than 1500 more (above the better than 2000 for new stock rubber)  to have that with good aluminum wheels on it. 

IMG_6051.JPG

IMG_6052.JPG

IMG_6053.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

IMG_7795.JPG

The Adirondack Nationals have had large trucks in the past but it's pretty rare. Last one I remember being in the show was a WWII troop carrier about 10 years ago. Usually at least one cruising but not in the show proper. 

Although predominantly hot rods there are plenty of factory stock cars as well. The 1910 Oakland that was in Hemmings was here a few years ago and is the oldest I've seen at the show. 

I co-run the Adirondack Nationals Photo Archive group on Facebook.