Garage Music?

BobinVirginia

On 10/29/2022 at 4:44 PM, vermontboy said:

Woody and Arlo Guthrie,

Woody, Arlo's dad, was singing protest songs during the great depression. "This Land Is My Land" is a protest song.  And "Do Re Me" is protesting  when California stopped migrants from crossing their border. What migrants? The U S residents of the dust bowl states that had lost everything!

https://daily.jstor.org/how-the-lapd-guarded-californias-borders-in-the-1930s/

Yes, I also play Woody and Arlo music in my garage. 

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

??? Protest songs ARE uplifting! Signs of things getting better instead of worse. If flaws are not pointed out, then there will be no getting better. Same as having a points judging system in the AACA. That Lee Greenwood song was a protest song against terrorism that happened on our land.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

??? Protest songs ARE uplifting! Signs of things getting better instead of worse. If flaws are not pointed out, then there will be no getting better. Same as having a points judging system in the AACA. That Lee Greenwood song was a protest song against terrorism that happened on our land.

Simply saying what I prefer. Different strokes.

• Like 1

Pandora on my cell phone via a remote battery powered speaker, bluetooth gives me these in my garage, as well as in the old cars:

Edie Gorme

ABBA

Sinatra

Tchaikovsky

Sammy Davis, Jr.

Rafael Mendez

Harry James

Linda Ronstadt

John Philip Souza

Barbra Streisand

Aaron Copeland

Al Hirt 

Beach Boys

Trio Los Panchos

Pete Fountain

Bette Midler

Nat King Cole

Harry James

Willie Nelson

Benny Goodman

Mariachi

Count Basie

Doo-Wop Radio

Doc Severinsen

Klezmer

Dixieland

and so much more

• Like 3

On 3/13/2021 at 9:54 AM, John Bloom said:

Like pairing food with wine....

Burgers off the grill....cold IPA 

crab boil.......  American lager

thick steak...... California Cab

So it is with cars.......

woodie wagon.....beach boys

1970 Charger..... southern rock

Etype Jag........Beetles

Packard 740 .......Glenn Miller Orchestra 

21 window VW bus......the Dead/Dylan

60’s era pickup......Hank Williams jr

tri five Chevy...........?????  Elvis????

John, it's Beatles, not Beetles. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

My music tastes are quite eclectic ... anywhere from Ronnie Milsap to The Beach Boys to Linkin Park to Stephen Curtis Chapman to ... basically you name it.

Cort, pig and cow valves with pacemaker
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba

"The children want to know why we hung the mistletoe" | Ronnie Milsap | 'It's Christmas'

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As they say, you may be cool, but not as cool as Dick Dale! 

Why, well consider this guy spent his career playing on right handed guitars left handed, upside down, transposing chords in his head.  Dick also played the drums, brass instruments and the piano.  Of course he is best known for inventing surf music.  

Today I am getting inspired to make some adjustments to the A roadster... 

Upside 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Xander, a great tune.  About 5 years ago, I’m back in my little hometown, Frankfort Indiana, as they have a banquet and Introduction of the the town’s inaugural event naming 10 individuals to the Frankfort   “Hall of Fame”.  I’m there to show some love and support to my best friend since 3rd grade who is going in as one of the 10.  Will Geer (grandpa Walton) is selected as one also, his family accepted in his honor (an eccentric dude), and one of the 10 was Kyle Cook from Matchbox 20. He is about 10 years younger than me and I did not know him growing up.  My friend and I spent quite a bit of time visiting with kyle at the event. He is a really good guy and I became a little more of a fan of their music after meeting him and knowing he was a townie. 

• Like 2

Lot's of good stuff here. I listen to a lot of well know songs, but I also like to dig for gold, so I thought I'd post a few of (what I think) are lesser well-known songs on my recent play list:

Luther Harris: Black Feeling

Whatever Happened to Gus: Medeski, Martin & Wood

Shuggie Otis: Inspiration Information

Air: Kelly Watch the Stars

Hugh Masekela: The Boy's Doin' it

Little Jr Jess & His Teardrops: Funky Stuff

Grant Green: Hey Western Union Man

Corduroy: Long Cool & Bubbly

Jukka Eskola: Jova

Darando: Didn't I

Eddie Roberts: Easin' Down

Kraak & Smaak: Squeeze Me

Andrew Williams: Do It

Cymande: Bra

Nick Drake: Pink Moon

There is so much great unknown music out there. You could spend your life trying to find it all.

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

The Hudson truck was picked up today. Ran off with a new owner. Left me open, wounded and feeling empty inside. Time for garage music.  

1BDE2CDA-12B3-4B00-A4BA-FDC8CC65DF2F.jpeg

447E1863-61E6-44CD-9AF3-78FA0AD22E88.jpeg

That is a cool truck.  Especially with that twin-H engine in it.   But do not fret,  the feeling goes away pretty quick when the next bucket of bolts shows up.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Oh, garage music brings back some nostalgic vibes! 🎶 I remember jamming out to those tunes in my younger days. It's amazing how it still has a special place in my heart. But hey, did you guys know that some garage bands are making a comeback on Spotify? It's incredible how you can buy spotify plays and show your support by boosting their numbers!

Edited by Yobudal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 4:44 PM, vermontboy said:

anti-war/protest songs. So many of the creators have been forgotten by the younger generation. A small scattering of names include Dylan, Baez, Phil Ochs, Judy Collins, Richie Havens, Pete Seeger,

I am not much for music in the background. I went through a period where I sought out instrumental versions of songs and then pretty much just stopped listening.

However Pete Seeger does have a presence on my man door. In the early 1990s I bought a 1956 Olds Holiday 88 that had one of Pete's Save the River bumper stickers. It was verified by the previous owner.

IMG_0366.JPG.8fde9463a0b3720648a0a45369a9773c.JPG

Quiet? Nope, then I get to hear the voices in my head!😁 Actually the noise in my head from Tinnitus. So I always have music on in the garage. WTJU usually. UVa station plays a wide variety of music. The local stations and even Sirus radio keep playing the same 50 songs over and over (50 songs of each genre) with a few others now and then. Booring.

• Like 3