New Collectible Car Magazine is now out!

Steve Moskowitz

16 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

But in another decade or so I might desire something that has a few more creature comfort's without going "whole hog " like a mid  1970's and up , Thunderbird or Grand Prix.

A 1973 Grand Am would be my only choice for a mid-seventies car.  It also proved they COULD  work with those ugly 5-mph bumpers by hiding them behind a urethane mask, although it should have been made of better materials to withstand the elements.

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

On the INSIDE, the English and the Germans kept their REAL wood and genuine leather, along with their cabin ambience.

The (once) Big Three luxury cars resorted to plastic make to look like wood in the 1970's.  In the 1960's, the wood and leather in Cadillac Fleetwood, Lincoln Continental and the Imperial Le Baron was actually real.

Craig

This is the interior of a 65 Pontiac Grand Prix, the wood is mahogany, and it's real wood.

1965 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

This is the interior of a 65 Pontiac Grand Prix, the wood is teak, and it's real wood.

1965 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

Pontiac used real wood for a few years on the Bonnevilles and Grand Prix models in the 1960's as well as the 1973 Grand Am.  The African Mahogany as used on the Grand Am was very thin, and is a restorer's nightmare.

Craig

I didn't picture the car, like my Jaguar, for any other reason then to make the point that it's unfair to indite a whole decade for the sake of what seems to be common place benchmark cars. I'm not going to rave about the car but I will make a few comments regarding the some of the reasons that the Jaguar was just different.

1) Styling-beauty in the eyes of the beholder, I'll leave it at that.

2) Dialed in suspension-including independent rear suspension. Driving one and comparinging it to other sedans of the era can be a game changer. I know it was for me.

3) Weight-3600-3800 lbs. compared to Jensen Interceptor at 4000 lbs or Cadillac Eldorado at 5400 lbs.

4) Top speed 150 mph +, Interceptor 135 mph, Cad, I really don't know but I certainly would not like to go anywhere near there. 

I am surprised a XJ 6 is that much faster and somewhat lighter than the Jensen. I have driven both quite a bit but they were always customer cars and I never pushed them all the way to their top end. I always got the impression the Jensen had a lot more power than the Jags I drove . But in order to avoid a very awkward situation of a high speed  traffic stop in a customer car I never pushed any of them beyond about 80 MPH or so. From a standing start or lightly accelerate up to about 30 mph or so and then punch it hard : pretty standard stuff on a repairmans test drive,  the Jensen's always felt stronger.  I wonder how the final drive ratio's compare ?

But it is hard to go wrong with either of them. The Jenson's live axle vs the Jag irs no doubt contributes to the more sure footedness of the Jag. But the Jensen set up is easier to live with in the real world. Rear brakes on the Jag are in my opinion a real P.I.T.A. , worked on them often enough to know they have no place in my car ownership life.

As I have mentioned before I would seriously consider Jensen ownership except for the fuel economy issue . Gas is quite expensive in my area. Jag gets tarred with the same brush.

Greg

3 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I didn't picture the car, like my Jaguar, for any other reason then to make the point that it's unfair to indite a whole decade for the sake of what seems to be common place benchmark cars. I'm not going to rave about the car but I will make a few comments regarding the some of the reasons that the Jaguar was just different.

1) Styling-beauty in the eyes of the beholder, I'll leave it at that.

2) Dialed in suspension-including independent rear suspension. Driving one and comparinging it to other sedans of the era can be a game changer. I know it was for me.

3) Weight-3600-3800 lbs. compared to Jensen Interceptor at 4000 lbs or Cadillac Eldorado at 5400 lbs.

4) Top speed 150 mph +, Interceptor 135 mph, Cad, I really don't know but I certainly would not like to go anywhere near there. 

I really like these as well;

1979 Cadillac Eldorado | W112 | Monterey 20171979 Cadillac Eldorado | W112 | Monterey 20171979 Cadillac Eldorado with factory wire wheel covers | CLASSIC CARS TODAY  ONLINE

Spec of cars above

Curb weight (without a driver):

1770 kg / 3902 lbs

Weight distribution f/r (%):

Dry weight:

Shipping weight:

1720 kg / 3792 lbs

Curb weight estimated:

Gross vehicle weight rating GVWR:

Payload:

Payload estimated:

Towing weight:

unbraked:

FYI, XJC was standard with vinyl roof and like the Cadillac could be ordered without one. The only problem with ordering a XJC without a vinyl roof was the roof itself was a warranty problem for Jag.

Since the coupé lacked B-pillars, the roof flexed enough that the paint used by Jaguar at the time would develop cracks.

Also called
  • Jaguar XJ-C, XJ6-C, XJ12-C
  • Jaguar XJ4.2C[13]
  • Jaguar XJ5.3C[13]
  • Daimler Sovereign Coupé
  • Daimler Double-Six Coupé
Production 1975–1978
10,487 produced
Assembly Coventry, England
Body and chassis
Body style 2-door coupé[9]
Powertrain
Engine
Dimensions
Wheelbase 2,762 mm (108.75 in)
Length 4,845 mm (190.75 in)
Width 1,772 mm (69.75 in)
Height 1,375 mm (54.125 in)
Kerb weight 1,837 kg (4,050 lb)
Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ericmac said:

I recieved my first issue today. Despite the heavy duty packaging,  my friendly letter carrier proved, when there's a will to bend it to fit, there is a way. It is an excellent magazine that will certainly be a keeper.

20210305_174450.jpg

Good thing it was in a heavy wrapper. I guess im lucky with my carrier, she put it on my front porch.

• Like 1

I just opened my first issue now. Beautiful! Something you'd want to archive. Nice that the focus is on owners a little more than other mags, as they're the stewards of these great vehicles. I like quarterly more than monthly issues. I'm too involved in other things to keep up with monthly issues. Can't wait to read the articles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like weekly, LOL. I sit on the couch reading every evening.  But, I would rather see a magazine like this on a quarterly issue with high quality content, then read the same thing about a hellcat something or other every month.

• Like 2

I have been pleased with the magazine so far. I still struggle with getting interested in anything (other than a first generation Miata) built after 1972 but somehow the magazine makes the article about a late 70s GM look interesting. I think this bodes well for the rest of the content.

• Thanks 1

They made these up to 1979 Eric. I really like my 1974, much more than a Miata of which I have only owned one. I have owned 3 TVR's over the last 40 years, loved every one. 2 sixes , 1 4 banger , no v8's unfortunately.

Most are coupe's like this one. But a few roadsters as well. Who says 1970's cars fall short?

Simon Cars - TVR 2500M

TVR 3000S. Chop the top off an M-series car and you get something even more  handsome. One of my favorite TVRs.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

9 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

They made these up to 1979 Eric. I really like my 1974, much more than a Miata of which I have only owned one. I have owned 3 TVR's over the last 40 years, loved every one. 2 sixes , 1 4 banger , no v8's unfortunately.

Most are coupe's like this one. But a few roadsters as well. Who says 1970's cars fall short?

Simon Cars - TVR 2500M

TVR 3000S. Chop the top off an M-series car and you get something even more  handsome. One of my favorite TVRs.

And now my interest learning about TVRs has been piqued!

9 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Australian market Fords, Holdens, and Mopars kept their American grunt, and good looks into the 1980's.  Australia was spared the 5-mph bumpers and emission regulations.  

In the tale of two 1978 Cobras, there's a good reason a Falcon XC Cobra sells for TEN TIMES the amount a lame (in comparison), Pinto-based Mustang II 'King Cobra' does.

Craig

The Australian cars are very interesting. But RHD is a definite disadvantage here in North America. TVR's have become somewhat expensive as their fan base grows. I believe only about 50 of the roadsters made it to North America before TVR ran into increasingly difficult to meet emissions standards and had to stop exports to the U.S.

Greg

• 8 months later...

I subscribed. Got the first issue. Although there was a delay on the second issue it arrived and well done. I checked the website last week thinking the third issue would be due.

I don't have the feeling of being screwed. I wish the publisher my best That magazine is a valiant endeavor.

• Like 4

Two issues have been sent out for sure so I would reach out to Richard.  Richard moved from Mass. to Tenn. and at the same time ran into a massive moving problem amongst others.  How he has persevered is beyond me.  However, he will not screw anyone and I think you can expect your newest  magazine soon.  

• Like 4

As per Richard Lentinello in the Hemmings Classic Cars Jumps the Shark thread:

"As the former editor-in-chief of Hemmings Motor News, when I started Hemmings Classic Car magazine in 2004 our goal was to feature a balanced selection of all types of American collector cars. Pre-war cars played a huge role in the success of HCC, which is why I always made it a point to feature a pre-war automobile in every issue. The current Hemmings management has different views than mine as to what the format of HCC should be. As a result of our different views, in 2019 I left Hemmings and started my own collector-car magazine; it's called Crankshaft. Unlike HCC, each issue of Crankshaft totals 144 pages and features a wide variety of interesting and historic automobiles, both American and foreign, pre-war and post-war. Crankshaft is a high-quality quarterly magazine unlike any other car magazine published before and features in-depth articles, engaging photography and creative layouts. The variety in each issue will amaze you. Best of all, it's written by some of the best writers in the business, including former Hemmings editors David LaChance, Walt Gosden, Milton Stern, Jim Richardson, Jim Donnelly and Pat Foster. Crankshaft Issue #3 is scheduled to be published in mid-January 2022; this issue has been delayed due to a paper shortage, and the time-consuming task of relocating our office to Knoxville, Tennessee. For more info, please visit our website: www.crankshaftmagazine.com.  Thank you!  Richard Lentinello, Publisher."  

Craig

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, inshashare said:

Thankfully retirement age is no longer 'mandatory'.  I still have the urge to work past 65, and I really do like my job shareit app vidmate apk  

I feel the same way!  I have NO desire to quit what I'm doing when I also hit 65.  

My grandmother was forced into retirement at age 68 when it was mandatory in the 1970's.  She also had no interest in retiring, but the labor laws at the time dictated otherwise.  She loved her job working at a K-9 school, and enjoyed working with children.  Her health and well being accelerated rather quickly after that.  

Craig

OK  maybe I missed something but I thought this thread was about a new magazine about collectible cars yet the last three posts are about retirement ??!!?? did some of us just drift away here? You don't need to be retired to appreciate a new magazine .........  Richard is not retired, Steve was kind enough to mention the new great publication and now?????......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK  maybe I missed something but I thought this thread was about a new magazine about collectible cars yet the last three posts are about retirement ??!!?? did some of us just drift away here? You don't need to be retired to appreciate a new magazine .........  Richard is not retired, Steve was kind enough to mention the new great publication and now?????......

For a moment I thought Padgett returned..    Great publication! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is a lot of 'thread drift' in this post, including magazines mangled by the USPS, other automotive publications, subscribing vs. purchasing from the newsstand, print vs. digital, Jaguar vs. Cadillac, and a second go-around about retirement.  

In the end, it drifts back about a magazine that's no longer 'new', but well on its way to becoming firmly established.  Hell, I remember when Collectible Automobile was 'brand new' with the May, 1984 issue!

Craig

The post that started the thread drift is spam. 
And now back to our regularly scheduled posting, does anyone know if you subscribe now if you will get the first two issues or do you need to purchase them separately? There are enough positive reviews for me to subscribe and I have the feeling I need to start with the first issue.

• Like 1

Most publications sell back issues some at reduced rates ( usually not the greatest content) and some at a premium rate ( good content like Crankshaft). The only way to know is go to the website or send an email to the publisher. Some pubs allow what is called a back start. But again most good ones charge a premium rate to get a copy due to cost of mailing and not wanting to have to deal with the hassle. 
dave s 

• Thanks 1

There is a test for those inclined to thread drift. It is an easy and very entertaining test best done by two with a third party testee. Show the third party a picture of a specific item. Then wait for the comments the testee makes about things in the background.

Go ahead. I dare you to try it this weekend.