New Collectible Car Magazine is now out!

Steve Moskowitz

14 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Richard or others:  How is the issue mailed?

My mailman has the habit of bending magazines,

evidently to fit in cubbyholes when sorting.

"Collectible Automobile" often came with a 

fold down its cover, almost ruining it for my 

automotive library. 

Does the new magazine come with a guarantee 

against damage?  I hate to impose extra costs

potentially on a new product, but such a policy

would save disappointment. 

These days, john, i,d say be greatfull if you just get the damned thing. Never mind condition.......bob

• Like 3

OK, lets not start a fued here.  Let's enjoy a new magazine together.   By the way, I read this forum for more hours than I spend on magazines.

I'll be happy when we can again leave our timeless old magazines in waiting rooms to share our hobby with others waiting for medical care.  We get our second dose of vaccines on Wednesday 2/24/21.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I thought this was about celebrating and recognizing the fact that a new magazine about old cars is now available , and in my opinion a very informative one as well. Should we readily accept what is now? or dwell on or speculate what was or what circumstances may /may not have been with a former publication?  Can we all get back to trying to be happy ? Do we all agree that information and the history of the vehicles we love,  keep us going in these times of extreme stress ? It helps maintain our health and is what we need .

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

I thought this was about celebrating and recognizing the fact that a new magazine about old cars is now available , and in my opinion a very informative one as well. Should we readily accept what is now? or dwell on or speculate what was or what circumstances may /may not have been with a former publication?  Can we all get back to trying to be happy ? Do we all agree that information and the history of the vehicles we love,  keep us going in these times of extreme stress ? It helps maintain our health and is what we need .

Many thanks to Walt and Richard and everyone who has dedicated their life to automotive journalism, especially dealing with old cars! I can't estimate how many hours of joy those publications have brought me. I had to discontinue my subscriptions a couple of years ago because I felt so guilty about not being able to find the time to read these great magazines, but it may be time to restart my subscription to HCC and Richard's new project.

• Like 1

Not to throw a damp cloth on things, but in my case I probably wouldn't subscribe for exactly the same reasons I never subscribed to Automobile Quarterly. The scope is just way too wide and the per copy price is quite high. And probably 80 % of the cars featured will be cars I have little to no interest in. The only cars I really want to see in depth articles on are pre 1925. and the non mass market cars. The AC articles ; often but not always by Beverly Rae Kimes , dealing with the broadly pre 1925 cars; largely obscure makes at that,  were a firm favorite with me. And whenever possible I have bought second hand issues with these articles. Its the same problem with the AACA magazine. The Classic era and newer cars I really like usually have a entire book written about them and generally I will just buy the book which will have far more in depth information than even several magazine articles.

I wish Richard all the luck in the world with his new magazine, I just don't see it being a regular addition to my library. His Staver Chicago articles In Hemmings are personal favorites.

Now if someone could provide great coverage of the hundreds of pre 1925 " forgotten " automobiles that would be another matter altogether , but I can't ever see that happening.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Not to throw a damp cloth on things, but in my case I probably wouldn't subscribe for exactly the same reasons I never subscribed to Automobile Quarterly. The scope is just way too wide and the per copy price is quite high. And probably 80 % of the cars featured will be cars I have little to no interest in. The only cars I really want to see in depth articles on are pre 1925. and the non mass market cars. The AC articles ; often but not always by Beverly Rae Kimes , dealing with the broadly pre 1925 cars; largely obscure makes at that,  were a firm favorite with me. And whenever possible I have bought second hand issues with these articles. Its the same problem with the AACA magazine. The Classic era and newer cars I really like usually have a entire book written about them and generally I will just buy the book which will have far more in depth information than even several magazine articles.

I wish Richard all the luck in the world with his new magazine, I just don't see it being a regular addition to my library. His Staver Chicago articles In Hemmings are personal favorites.

Now if someone could provide great coverage of the hundreds of pre 1925 " forgotten " automobiles that would be another matter altogether , but I can't ever see that happening.

Greg

That is why I really like The Automobile magazine from England.

Craig

I have spent lots over the last 40 years on books and magazines.  Enough to have bought a pretty nice car if it was all in one pile. These days ; post retirement, I am forced to be much more frugal than in the past if I am going to make any headway on the vehicles themselves. I still buy quite a few magazines each year { just ask my wife !} but virtually never new.  When your disposable income shrinks by 60 % or more tough choices must be made.

Greg

Thankfully retirement age is no longer 'mandatory'.  I still have the urge to work past 65, and I really do like my job (mechanical & design draftsman in a nice office).  

I know I probably wouldn't be able to complete my projects if I took a retirement at the age most everyone says you should.

Craig

Didn't really have a choice. Shift work sucks over 60 , really, really sucks. 12 days on with 3, 8 hour time shifts. AM's , PM's , Gyd's,  all in a 12 day time period  then 6 days off. your last night ends at 6 AM on your first day off. No one but the company calls that a day off. You almost feel like a human again by the end of days off then you start it all over again. The C.I.A. couldn't come up with a better technique of breaking people down. Throw in the vibration and Industrial environment of working on a ship and I am amazed I lasted as long as I did. The money was good,,,25 years ago, trouble was it barely changed as time went by.

Greg

4 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Didn't really have a choice. Shift work sucks over 60 , really, really sucks. 12 days on with 3, 8 hour time shifts. AM's , PM's , Gyd's,  all in a 12 day time period  then 6 days off. your last night ends at 6 AM on your first day off. No one but the company calls that a day off. You almost feel like a human again by the end of days off then you start it all over again. The C.I.A. couldn't come up with a better technique of breaking people down. Throw in the vibration and Industrial environment of working on a ship and I am amazed I lasted as long as I did. The money was good,,,25 years ago, trouble was it barely changed as time went by.

Greg

I got off the tools at 46!  I saw that coming!!

Craig

All that Bernie, and sliding across the Engine room deck plates as soon as you are foolish enough to let go of both hand holds. I spent most of my time in the relatively sheltered Georgia Straight / Puget Sound area, but enough time up in the  Queen Charlotte islands { Hecate Strait , a particularly nasty body of water } to know what rough weather is all about.

Greg

I got my notice it has shipped, but the usps tracking no is non responsive at this point. Big surprise there, not.

I doubt I will ever own a pre war car, maybe a post war someday ( I am referring to the war to end all wars). But that doesnt decrease my interest in these cars. As well as cars from the 50's through the 70's. I like all old cars. The one thing that I have begun to dislike reading about in the likes of hemmings now, are the blips about the new hemis, mustangs and camaros (even though I own a new mustang).  I dont look at what I thought was a magazine for 'older' cars and see the upcoming news of what detroit is putting out. I can go to a showroom if I want a good look at a new car. Wasted page space to me.

• Thanks 1

We all have favorite eras, makes, topics that we seek and favor. Not every publication can cater to our specific needs, Automobile Quarterly didn't even do that. The last issue of AQ was in 2012, that is nearly a decade ago. AQ lasted 50 years. Bev left AQ in 1981, and sadly passed away in 2008.  Consider the time between when favorite magazines were started and ended, Greg, if you like the 1925 and earlier era, you have the HCCA publication because you note you are a member of that club. DO you let them know that you want articles etc on cars from 1916 thru 1925 ? Will they meet your request?

We all have our favorites and some cars and topics we really do not have a sincere interest in, every issue of any publication will not be specific enough for any of us. When we attend car shows, you walk a bit quicker past cars that do not interest you to focus on the ones that do, but if you paid admission to the show ( as a spectator or a exhibitor) then you make your choice . Nice to (?) let us know what you do/don't like but a publication is not based on one persons ideal.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The last issue of AQ was in 2012, that is nearly a decade ago. AQ lasted 50 years. Bev left AQ in 1981, and sadly passed away in 2008.

For the past 15-20 years I have studied the lifecycle of businesses. Fifty years is a common figure of successful operation, although another 50 can be achieved in a bumbling. manner.

The founder and his "spark" generally leave with him, 30 years. Those whom worked closest to him carry the spark to their attrition, adding another 20 years. The mindless corporate entity that has evolved during the first 50 years takes over and there tends to be a downward spiral from there. In my area Kodak, Xerox, and Bausch & Lomb have all floundered with their identity and the ability to identify their customer after the peers of the founder have left. Second and third generation family operations have the same expectancy.

Entities, whatever the type, have a lifecycle. Not acknowledging it may be one of the greatest problems. Mine is going out with me, no plan of succession.

I completely agree Walt. I fully realize no publication could stay in business based on the pre - 1925 automobile era. HCCA is surprisingly inflexible regarding their stand on 1916 and up vehicles. Although local chapters can be somewhat tolerant of newer cars the main club really has no interest in expanding even up to the end of the teens.

After 40 + years in the hobby I suppose I have become far to narrow for any broad appeal publication, a necessary trait if a venture is to succeed in todays market. I will just continue to poke through the piles of back issues I find at most swap meets; assuming we can go to swap meets again, and treasure the few articles I do find that meet my narrow interest.

Greg

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

We all have favorite eras, makes, topics that we seek and favor. Not every publication can cater to our specific needs, Automobile Quarterly didn't even do that. The last issue of AQ was in 2012, that is nearly a decade ago. AQ lasted 50 years. Bev left AQ in 1981, and sadly passed away in 2008.  Consider the time between when favorite magazines were started and ended, Greg, if you like the 1925 and earlier era, you have the HCCA publication because you note you are a member of that club. DO you let them know that you want articles etc on cars from 1916 thru 1925 ? Will they meet your request?

We all have our favorites and some cars and topics we really do not have a sincere interest in, every issue of any publication will not be specific enough for any of us. When we attend car shows, you walk a bit quicker past cars that do not interest you to focus on the ones that do, but if you paid admission to the show ( as a spectator or a exhibitor) then you make your choice . Nice to (?) let us know what you do/don't like but a publication is not based on one persons ideal.

The only thing I would like to know is if you, the editor is accessible. Should a article have some incorrect information or incomplete information are you customer reader friendly. Do you, like Collectible Automobile magazine's John Biel have a Collectible Comments section where matters can be put straight?

I am not the editor, I am a contributor. With only the first issue out now I am not sure what or how the plans are for readers to see their name in print with questions, comments, etc. That will be up to the Editor/Publisher. As I mentioned I am a contributor , just like I am here on the forums.

• Like 1

Walt hits the nail on the head about the diversity of both the readers and articles in any magazine. Very few magazines make it 50 years if they are not a general widespread interest magazine. Antique Auto mags do not fit that definition. The oldest one still around is over 140 years old. Automotive Industry magazine, started covering freight hauling wagons. Switched to trucks and cars. As mfg’s expanded they kept up with commercial industry changes all the way to current electric models. I’ve done circulation work for them for the last 24 years, the ownership has changed four times!  It is currently struggling and seeing the financial info I doubt it will make it another year. Over my 50+ years in the industry I’ve seen at least 100 magazines start up and fail within the first three years. You need a specific audience and keep the articles interesting and of general interest with data meaningful and fresh for that audience. Not easy to do but this pub has given us information that shows they have good contributors and a promising format to keep these fresh. I hope they get the advertising and subscriber support they need to survive. 
A publication is like a three legged stool - one is editorial, one is advertising and the third is subscriptions. If any one of the three is lacking the stool falls over. 
Again I hope this one does well for the publishing team and us. 
dave s 

ps - just got notice my copy is on the way! 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

I hope they get the advertising and subscriber support they need to survive. 
A publication is like a three legged stool - one is editorial, one is advertising and the third is subscriptions. If any one of the three is lacking the stool falls over. 

That the problem I have for ANY magazine that comes through the mail (more specifically, Canada Post).  They seem to take delight in destroying everything larger than a letter size before it reaches one's mailbox, even if it clearly states 'Do Not Bend' on front.  I prefer to purchase an unmolested copy from our local newsstand.  After talking to a customer representative from Vintage Truck magazine who tried to sell me a subscription, she explained they need the solid numbers to 'sell' themselves to potential advertisers and newsstand sales don't offer any proof the ads within get read as not every last copy gets sold off the shelf.

Craig

Unfortunately, over about the last year I have seen the number of titles on the shelves at my local main magazine retailer go from an amazing number to just a handful of consistent sellers. Probably a 75% + drop in diversity. Some may have gone out of business , or perhaps online. But I suspect many are still out there , it just doesn't make any sense for the local  retailers to stock them anymore. Many of the best magazines are headed toward the $15.00 CDN. a copy price, particularly the British publications. If you are a subscriber the per issue price drops a little, but not really all that much in my experience.

Once magazines get that expensive I move my $ into the book category.

Greg

Just now, 1912Staver said:

Unfortunately, over about the last year I have seen the number of titles on the shelves at my local main magazine retailer go from an amazing number to just a handful of consistent sellers. Probably a 75% + drop in diversity. Some may have gone out of business , or perhaps online. But I suspect many are still out there , it just doesn't make any sense for the local  retailers to stock them. Many of the best magazines are headed toward the $15.00 CDN. a copy price, particularly the British publications.

Once magazines get that expensive I move my $ into the book category.

Greg

That happened after Chapter's closed shop for three months last year.  Thankfully, there is at least one independent magazine shop near the downtown area here, who remained open where I was able to get most of my usual magazines.

Where you live, Mayfair News always had a great selection of magazines whenever I was there visit.

Craig

Years ago, when I lived in town I frequently went to Mayfair news, great selection . I now live quite a ways out in the Fraser Valley and rarely venture into Vancouver proper anymore. It's close to an hour these days from my driveway to Mayfair and parking in that part of town is now a real challenge. Lots of new Condo developments making street parking difficult. Vancouver has changed out of recognition , particularly from the point of view of the old car hobby.

Still lots of car interested people , but new or near new BMW's Audi's and the like is the prime focus .

Greg

Greg, the same is here on long island, automobile magazines on the shelves of the retail book stores have dropped in number considerably in the past year. I am sure the pandemic has made the foot traffic to the stores much much less and to print enough copies to have distributed to all the magazine/book sellers is just not worth the $ to do so if it is consistent month after month with lack of sales.  I happened to be at the local location before the pandemic when the fellow who would come into stack in new issues of magazines and remove any that were out dated was there and spoke to him. He was a good gauge on what magazines sold well and sold well every month - based on what he didn't still see there unsold and what he had to replace. He wasn't a car guy so far as I could tell, but his comment was "it is all about content, what people really want to read".  I found that most interesting from an author's point of view.

• Like 1

I expect this is part of " the new reality " . Once again I am sure I am in an extreme minority position. But for me the best publications of all contain a set of blueprints for the machine under consideration. There was a local author { I believe he is now deceased }  who was a expert writer on historic boats and ships. His books were remarkably well researched and along with the normal book content included several large folded sheets of very detailed drawings on each vessel he was writing about.

They are expensive and I only own a couple of them that provide detailed coverage of a couple of locally significant boats from British Columbia's pioneer days. But truly the gold standard in my estimation.

No doubt very small print run's and at the end of the day probably not very profitable.

It sure would be nice if someone undertook a similar series on some of the best of the Brass Era cars. 

If there is a million $ plus market for Simplex cars, Stutz Bearcats, Mercer Raceabout's etc , I suspect there is also a market for a really detailed book; with technical drawings,  about cars of this sort in the $250.00 - $350.00 retail market range.

Greg

The biggest problem with newsstand sales is the number of dealers has decreased in the past few years. As they get more control they demand a larger percentage of the sales price. They also do not want to provide proof of returns (non sales) so the publisher is at a big disadvantage. The magazine that gives the biggest percentage also gets the best position on the stand. The reason magazines have flashy covers and highlight the articles with headlines is they have about seven seconds on average to get your attention. Position and covers are the draw. 
As far as showing numbers to advertisers most pubs are audited for these numbers by independent audit bureaus. All newsstand agencies report directly to the audit bureau and the publisher. The circulation numbers are also equally reported (that’s what my company did as the main part of our business, the label is the simple by product). The numbers provided by the newsstand tell geographic and timing numbers, ours tell a variety of demographic information so advertisers have the knowledge their ads are reaching the correct readers. These numbers can be verified and can’t be bogus by a publisher. The USPS also uses these audits to allow for the service discounts publishers receive for doing barcoding and presorting the magazines being mailed. No one wants to be accused of postal fraud. 
No one wants to place an ad based on unknown or unproven accurate data. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

All newsstand agencies report directly to the audit bureau and the publisher. The circulation numbers are also equally reported (that’s what my company did as the main part of our business, the label is the simple by product). The numbers provided by the newsstand tell geographic and timing numbers, ours tell a variety of demographic information so advertisers have the knowledge their ads are reaching the correct readers. These numbers can be verified and can’t be bogus by a publisher. The USPS also uses these audits to allow for the service discounts publishers receive for doing barcoding and presorting the magazines being mailed. No one wants to be accused of postal fraud.  No one wants to place an ad based on unknown or proven accurate data. 

It should be easy for those who want to take the time to crunch these numbers from the bigger chain stores like Chapters, Barnes & Noble, et al. The individual transaction receipts do record the actual magazine(s) purchased, which should be in someone's database; either for auditors, or automatic stock adjustment/replenishment.  It should be made accessible to the publishers as it does not breach any privacy laws.  Admittedly, the independent newsstand here does not have the actual magazine titles recorded on their till receipt, just the price paid.

Craig

4 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

It should be easy for those who want to take the time to crunch these numbers from the bigger chain stores like Chapters, Barnes & Noble, et al. The individual transaction receipts do record the actual magazine(s) purchased, which should be in someone's database; either for auditors, or automatic stock adjustment/replenishment.  It should be made accessible to the publishers as it does not breach any privacy laws.  Admittedly, the independent newsstand here does not have the actual magazine titles recorded on their till receipt, just the price paid.

Craig

The problem with your theory is a publisher would have to access every location the mags are being sold in or at least the chains main computer. The cost and time would be a duplicate of what the agency distribution charges cover and would basically render the sale a total loss. Would you pay to have your oil changed just to take the car home and drain the oil to see if it looked clean?  
Another thing to consider is most pubs that do rack sales do so to get subs. Subscription dollars usually barely pay for mailing cost and renewal effort cost. Very few pubs make a profit off subs. That part of the business plan is derived from ad sales. Advertisers want verification of numbers not just info from the publisher. 

2 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

The problem with your theory is a publisher would have to access every location the mags are being sold in or at least the chains main computer. The cost and time would be a duplicate of what the agency distribution charges cover and would basically render the sale a total loss. Would you pay to have your oil changed just to take the car home and drain the oil to see if it looked clean?  
Another thing to consider is most pubs that do rack sales do so to get subs. Subscription dollars usually barely pay for mailing cost and renewal effort cost. Very few pubs make a profit off subs. That part of the business plan is derived from ad sales. Advertisers want verification of numbers not just info from the publisher. 

They would not have to access it monthly to gain insight on sales performance. Two or three times a year should be sufficient to obtain the figures they need to work with.  

Craig

Do you believe how good an old car is because the guy selling it tells you that?  Numbers for advertisers need independent verification. No advertisers is just going to accept what a publisher tells them the numbers are. Audit bureau’s publish verified numbers after doing audits. Audits that pull random sample records from the circulation and checking all of the point of sale numbers. Publishers spend a large sum to have these audits done. The point being the audit bureau gets the numbers from the agencies and the circulation service bureaus. My company did work for over a hundred magazines monthly. I would never fake numbers for one pub as it could jeopardize my entire business. Agencies are the same way. The advertisers depend on these reports and numbers to place their ads in the correct magazines. They are not going to do that from just reports from publishers. The USPS requires these independent reports or they do an audit themselves which would then cost the pub more money and time. The periodical rates the PO charges the pub is based on these audits. Without it the postage cost is about 15-18% higher. The PO is not going to take the word of the publisher without independent verification.