New Collectible Car Magazine is now out!

Steve Moskowitz

As a rule, we do not allow commercial advertisements in this forum but I am making a rare exception as AACA and yours truly totally supports a guy who has done a heck of a lot for the old car hobby.  Richard Lentinello, former editor at Hemmings has embarked on a new venture and is publishing his own magazine.  He is someone that is deserving of our support and despite the fact I have not see the first issue I am banking on it being great and ordered my first subscription today.  Go to www.lentinello.com and subscribe!  It will be a quarterly and I imagine it will be extremely well done.

I hope those that have made comments on this forum before about the futility of publishing a car magazine will refrain from making those same comments again.  Let the marketplace and the legion of people who have followed Richard for years decide upon the value of his work.  I happen to think there will always be successful people who will buck any trends by their talent and hard work.  Richard has been very generous in his support of AACA and we all wish him nothing but great success!

• Like 11

I just went on his website and signed up! Thanks Steve so much for the head's up. Richard is indeed a great asset to the hobby - I like his writing style and he is just a very "down-to-earth" individual. I enjoyed a conversation with him in Gettysburg at the AGNM, where he served ably as one of our Zenith judges.

• Like 1

I met Richard at an early-90s POCI National Meet in Gaithersburg MD. Rode up for the day to visit some local Olds Club folks and go with them to the Pontiac meet.

At the time I was an Olds Club Zone director and my POCI counterpart waved me over to meet a group Richard was in.

After introductions Bob C outed me as a closet Pontiac freak, saying "if he didn't have that yard full of Oldsmobiles we all know he'd have Pontiacs!"

And danged if Lentinello didn't put that in his write up on the POCI Nats. I can't even remember what magazine he was writing for then. I admit to driving a 1981 Catalina Safari up there, but it was Oldsmobile-powered!😺

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

As a rule, we do not allow commercial advertisements in this forum but I am making a rare exception as AACA and yours truly totally supports a guy who has done a heck of a lot for the old car hobby.  Richard Lentinello, former editor at Hemmings has embarked on a new venture and is publishing his own magazine.  He is someone that is deserving of our support and despite the fact I have not see the first issue I am banking on it being great and ordered my first subscription today.  Go to www.lentinello.com and subscribe!  It will be a quarterly and I imagine it will be extremely well done.

I hope those that have made comments on this forum before about the futility of publishing a car magazine will refrain from making those same comments again.  Let the marketplace and the legion of people who have followed Richard for years decide upon the value of his work.  I happen to think there will always be successful people who will buck any trends by their talent and hard work.  Richard has been very generous in his support of AACA and we all wish him nothing but great success!

You know Steve, when I first saw the headline I thought you were talking about "Collectible Automobile" magazine.

I have every issue of Automobile Quarterly, all 210 published from 1962 including indexes and specials . A truly wonderful trove of  automotive history, knowledge, creativity and everything one could ask for. So sad they closed up shop in 2012. So I'm looking forward to someone else embarking on a mission like this, may not be as ambitious as AQ, but that's a sign of our times. Wish him the best. 

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I subscribed. I've not seen the magazine, so I don't know what I'll be getting, but I do appreciate Richard's skills as a writer and editor. Not sure if it is "as ambitious as AQ," but it is about 40 pages longer, according to the web site. 

Oddly, a $3 "postage" fee is added to the subscription.

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I subscribed as soon as I heard about it! Anyone that who knows Richard, knows he is & true car-guy that has his heart in the right place with this car hobby and the AACA. 20210216_095149.thumb.jpg.6e81b5ff6687da5fe4b371eba0fd9ebb.jpgFor me, he has earned my respect over all these years of great car article reading. 

Can't wait to get my 1st issue.

All the best with this Richard!

Here on long island , NY the first issue of Crankshaft has arrived via media mail today . Not bad, took only 4 days, and actually arrived so perhaps the USPS is getting back to normal???

I won't comment to much since I am a contributor - but it is quite a tome, heavy  in weight. I am proud to be part of this.

Walt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

So I decided to take a look. I used the heading of this thread;

New Collectible Car Magazine is now out!

This is what I got;

Collectible Automobile Magazine

Image result for new collectible car magazine is now out!

It would have been a lot easier to say go to Crankshaft Magazine. BTW am I reading correctly $57 bucks for 1 year/ four issues??????????

5 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

4 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Plus a $3 shipping charge. That’s what a magazine of this caliber needs to be successful. I process the subscription file for Automotive Industry which is now semi annual and they charge $250 a year. 
dave s 

Magneto magazine out of England and Retromotive magazine from Australia are also thick, 'coffee table' magazines printed on heavy stock.  Both publications are quarterlies, and are on their 9th and 10th issues so far.

I wonder what the hardcover Automobile Quarterly subscriptions would now cost per year if they were still publishing.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

On 2/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, padgett said:

If get a year (4 issues) the shipping is still $3 - total. Makes little sense.

Padgett, Thanks for ordering a subscription to Crankshaft, but you are mistaken about the shipping cost. A $9 shipping charge is factored into the cost of the one-year subscription for issues #2,3,4, with the $3 shipping charge for issue #1 added when you check out. It's done like this due to the shipping protocols that are set into the system we use. There is no other way to include the shipping charges.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/20/2021 at 12:26 PM, Richard Lentinello said:

Padgett, Thanks for ordering a subscription to Crankshaft, but you are mistaken about the shipping cost. A $9 shipping charge is factored into the cost of the one-year subscription for issues #2,3,4, with the $3 shipping charge for issue #1 added when you check out. It's done like this due to the shipping protocols that are set into the system we use. There is no other way to include the shipping charges.  

Recieved notification a few days ago that my order had been shipped for my subscription starting at Numero uno. I believe the first time I saw/met you was at Chowder at Sardi's when you started with Hemmings. Always good to see and support another Brooklyn boy! I am really looking forward to getting this. 

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The cost is very reasonable and I’m sure the quality of articles will be on a very high level knowing the people involved like Richard and Walt. I’m sure there will be others of that writing ability and look forward to getting my first issue. 
Hope it is very successful for all of you involved and all of us readers!  
dave s 

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 11:30 AM, Pete O said:

So is this why it seemed like Lentinello was phoning his column in during the last few months he was at Hemmings Classic Car?  Too busy starting a new magazine of his own... 

Pete, I was going to correct you here, sorry to say.

But I'm glad that Richard L. was able to, so you got

the truth directly.

Accuracy is always a good ideal.  There was a

cartoon once where a woman was gossiping to her

friend on the phone:  "I'm not going to go into

the details.  I already told you more than I heard myself!"

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 7:57 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Well it won't be the AACA magazine since it is not do to be shipped until March 5th! :)  

I am still waiting for my last 2020 AACA magazine............?????

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Richard or others:  How is the issue mailed?

My mailman has the habit of bending magazines,

evidently to fit in cubbyholes when sorting.

"Collectible Automobile" often came with a 

fold down its cover, almost ruining it for my 

automotive library. 

Does the new magazine come with a guarantee 

against damage?  I hate to impose extra costs

potentially on a new product, but such a policy

would save disappointment.