What is the significance of 1964 Buick Riviera built expressly for tag on the console

Dwain Short

About 1969 I received a Cadillac version (quite different: colored Cadillac crest, block letters on a black background, conservative and traditional) from a Cad-Olds dealer who was a close friend of my father-in-law, for my newly-acquired 1939 Cad 75.  A year later I ordered another one for my new-to-me-in-1970 1964 Cadillac 60S and I remember the company name as "Exclusively Yours" (location long since forgotten).  I believe they marketed to new car dealers of multiple makes as a post-sale gift to selected customers, but they accepted my approximate $8.99 check (1970 dollars) and made one for me as an individual order--I included an explanatory letter with my check.  I never saw this product advertised in consumer magazines.  I think I still have one of their tags in a display case in my garage if anyone is interested in seeing what the Cadillac version looked like.

I had a friend in high school that had a similar tag on his Old's dash. It read: Made Especially For and had his name. He always bragged about how the car was made special for him but I always suspected his dad bought the tag somewhere. He was spoiled rotten.

I had one made for my '64 Riv. MANY years ago by a trophy shop.  It was 1" X 2" & read,

riviera built by buick

exclusively modified by

tom telesco

It wasn't in block letters but cursive??? Is that the correct term???

Fit between the two dash clusters.

Tom T.

In the package that the dealer gave the new owner if the 63, 64, & 65 Rivieras a form was included that you mailed back to Buck in Flint. On the form, you told Buck what name to inscribe. There were two different tags. I'm not sure which ones went with which years. It's easy to spot the originals. They have a very distinctive script and the engraving is not that great.  The metal used in the original tags was coated and the true metal content can be seen inside the engraving.

The plates said "Made expressly for" or Made especially for" or something similar. I don't think the originals used the word custom. But, I've been known to be wrong; just ask my wife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a picture of the nameplate from a 1963 that the original owner had sent to him from Flint.   Notice the unique script and how the color of the metal shows up in the engraving. Ken Harwell, the original owner, was quite the machinist. He drilled an tapped the console and screwed the plate to it.

20200904_202338.thumb.jpg.09689b1199f48b2b5ba9721470ddf8b3.jpg

Anyone have an original plate from a 64 or 65?

On 9/4/2020 at 6:50 PM, RivNut said:

Here's a picture of the nameplate from a 1963 that the original owner had sent to him from Flint.   Notice the unique script and how the color of the metal shows up in the engraving. Ken Harwell, the original owner, was quite the machinist. He drilled an tapped the console and screwed the plate to it.

20200904_202338.thumb.jpg.09689b1199f48b2b5ba9721470ddf8b3.jpg

Anyone have an original plate from a 64 or 65?

My 65 still wears it's original plate.

Name plate.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rocky5517 said:

My father, years ago, bought a used 58 T-Bird from a dealer. There was a tag "Built Expressly for Bobby Darrin". We all had a good laugh over it, even the dealer and my father. 

Everybody knows the Darrin family was into Packards. What a dumb jokester.

• Like 1

Or the "Darrin" body'd Rolls. Or the Kaiser Darrin of '53?? to '55??  A decedent is Drake who lives in Greenwich, Ct who has a couple of the early Rolls, a few Kaiser Darrin's & a host of other antique/collector vehicles.   I've been working on some of his cars for years. 

Tom T.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 9:27 AM, Seafoam65 said:

On the 63 and 64 models the plates said "built Expressly for" On 65 and later models the plates said "Custom Built For"

Does anybody know when Buick stopped offering this?

• 1 year later...
33 minutes ago, EmTee said:

I know @MCHinson has the tools to do engraving such as this.  Maybe he can help you...

Yes, I can engrave items like that. The originals appear to be diamond drag engraved on aluminum plates. From looking at the photos, I would guess the reproduced tag are a single color plate with the text screenprinted or applied by a similar process. If they are made of aluminum or similar material, the engraved letters would be engrave in a similar color to the surface like the one in the photo in the first post in this discussion. There are chemicals that will turn freshly engraved text black in aluminum or brass, but I would need to confirm that they are aluminum to be sure they are safe for the chemicals if black text was desired.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
18 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

How about this tag.......what do you know about the 82 Riv convertibles with Select Sixty Dealer emblems?

DSCN0504.JPG

DSCN0506.JPG

If I read something correctly a number of years ago, the select 60 program was a way for Buick to recognize what they considered outstanding dealerships (60?).  It had nothing to do with the customer or the car.  The dealer could then personalize those cars for the customers who bought them.  This is what I've heard. Might be as far from the truth as one can get though.  The badges were attached to different models.  It's a big thing with the Reatta group.