The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

Pierce didn’t sell cars by years, they sold them by series. The “dual valve” car George has is what we have been talking about. It’s a four valve six, and fifty percent larger displacement than the white. Many people consider dual calve Pierce cars the absolute best car ever made.......over s Silver Ghost..........and everything else. It’s hard to argue the point.

• Thanks 2

In 35 years I have had more damage to my house from hail than himmicanes or any kind of wind storm. They are called "squalls". If you look over the ocean you can see them as darker bands and the occasional waterspout. When sailing you would skirt the edge of a squall to get a real boost from the wind.

Those air inlets are about the biggest I've seen.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.....it’s approaching a year.......and I finally found out what the clock looks like for the White. How did I find it? Easy, found another unknown car! More on that later, if the owner allows it. Here is what I am looking for......measurements to follow soon........

FF377479-9F34-4B87-A039-83FB2352F2E0.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hi all, I've been reading the forums for years. As I have been on the side-lines waiting to jump in there's never a bad time I suppose. I was waiting for a multi-cylinder 4 wheeled addition but don't yet have the space and have other family matters - it happens... Having read Ed's White and other sagas I thought I'd contribute with something I know well: clocks (and watches). There's several on the well known auction site that starts with an "E". I don't want to get into trouble on the first day with a link but here's a photo of one for sale. I have no affiliation or interest in any transaction... for the record. I am happy to provide advice and am usually able to get mechanical clocks properly running/serviced/oiled for those in need (strictly my hobby and not trying to solicit business).

...Dan.

Antique Waltham Car Clock 8 Days Clock For Parts

Edited by prewarnut (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, prewarnut said:

Hi all, I've been reading the forums for years. As I have been on the side-lines waiting to jump in there's never a bad time I suppose. I was waiting for a multi-cylinder 4 wheeled addition but don't yet have the space and have other family matters - it happens... Having read Ed's White and other sagas I thought I'd contribute with something I know well: clocks (and watches). There's several on the well known auction site that starts with an "E". I don't want to get into trouble on the first day with a link but here's a photo of one for sale. I have no affiliation or interest in any transaction... for the record. I am happy to provide advice and am usually able to get mechanical clocks properly running/serviced/oiled for those in need (strictly my hobby and not trying to solicit business).

...Dan.

Antique Waltham Car Clock 8 Days Clock For Parts

Prewarnut,  I think your contributions will be appreciated on the forum.  I do see the missing second hand in the bottom of the case for any potential buyer. 

• Like 3

Wayne, I don’t have permission to share photos and video of the newly found car yet. I expect I will have it in another week. When I have it, I will go over the car in detail.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 3:06 PM, padgett said:

GAR Wood is a boat.

Gar Wood also made lots of dealer add on acceaasories for automobiles in the 30's & 40's.

Our 1934 Ford has Gar Wood Fender Skirts.  Cost $8.75 a pair in a 1934 when the luggage

rack was $37.00.   Now the skirts bring $2,000.00, go figure.  (Found one at Hershey years

ago asking price $900.00.  Like Marty said the other day about having two fancy wheelcovers,

put them on one side because nobody can see both sides of a car at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Gar Wood also made lots of dealer add on acceaasories for automobiles in the 30's & 40's.

Our 1934 Ford has Gar Wood Fender Skirts.  Cost $8.75 a pair in a 1934 when the luggage

rack was $37.00.   Now the skirts bring $2,000.00, go figure.  (Found one at Hershey years

ago asking price $900.00.  Like Marty said the other day about having two fancy wheelcovers,

put them on one side because nobody can see both sides of a car at the same time. 

Back when I sold good used cheap cars I sold a Olds Cutlass that had different wheel covers from one side to the other. Eight months later the guy came in complaining about it.........I told my guy to swap them from side to side.....betting he wouldn’t look at the other side. Took him several weeks to figure out the joke..........he didn’t have a good sense of humor. I pulled the trigger and ordered two matching caps......the cheaper ones of course.........and then he complained he wanted the other style...........such is life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gar Wood made lots of things besides boats. Winches and dump boxes along with many other commercial vehicle/ construction equipment  items.

Yup! Most were hydraulic of hydraulic/cable. Here is a Gar Wood hoist that is mechanical using curved rack gears and pinion. 93 years old and can still earns it keep.... somewhat.. (LOL) 

Ed, can't wait to see the "Newly found" car. The White was an amazing adventure I am confident this one will be too!

337805452_20200414_102105(1).jpg.0be9fed73f722d212d3fc29b4e6d40bc.jpg

20200414_101810.jpg.b046cf21e938209f44c4ab6f6d450c2c.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

On 5/25/2021 at 7:56 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

nobody can see both sides of a car at the same time

In the early 80's my 29 Cad Dual Cowl won a AACA first Junior and First Senior with Pin Striping on the passenger side only (Striper got sick and had surgery).  It was never questioned by the judging teams.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ok....back from up north..........and getting back on cars down south.............here is a fun item I found...........

1917 White factory photo 2.jpeg

• Like 3

And now........on to the next White..............🤪

Sure glad I made extra parts for everything on the first car!

More to follow in the days ahead.

IMG_3599.PNG

IMG_3598.PNG

• Like 9

White built a lot of steam cars.......and were a top five automobile producer for a few years. That said, I’m not sure on numbers......there is a steam registry, but no gas registry. All White gas cars are rare. Most are small displacement high quality machines in the 30 horsepower range. The big cars.........the 1914-1916 six.....probably three survive, maybe. Of my series 16 valve four.........I know of seven engines, one in a truck. Three are in museums and will never come out. Frankly I’m surprised that the high horsepower four speed power plant wasn’t sought after for speed cars after WWI..........found in a junkyard.......it would been like a DV-32 power plant...........fast, exotic, and just plain neat. As far as I know, only my 1917 Rubay is on the big chassis.....all others are on the smaller chassis.(126 inch and 25 inch wheels, my big boy is 139 and 27 inch wheels.)

• Like 4

I have a friend named Al who does 

excellent wood body work in Medina, OH.

I had a conversation with Al a few days ago.

Al worked for about 4 years for White 

in Cleveland, Ohio around 1964 in the

original building the sewing machines 

were manufactured in.

Al was working on incorporating Divco

Into White - just one of the many 

manufacturers White acquired.

Al remembers the building was antiquated

even back then - parking was difficult 

to find on the street.

I plan on interviewing him at length

and will archive it on my YouTube channel

for public viewing.

Al might be the last living person who

has clear memories of working for 

White at the original sewing machine

factory building.

Jim

Al unloading one of the project cars

I delivered to his farm several years ago

DD0DFA5D-57DF-4B10-9747-D719C6B518BC.jpeg.ff2f05c524cf3e4a4cf24eb354572714.jpeg

6B06FE66-9C2C-4D4A-AE2D-A39E29268817.jpeg.522d9094c0b4a8faac2bcaaf9fe188fe.jpeg

• Like 5

On 6/14/2021 at 9:31 PM, edinmass said:

White built a lot of steam cars.......and were a top five automobile producer for a few years. That said, I’m not sure on numbers......there is a steam registry, but no gas registry. All White gas cars are rare. Most are small displacement high quality machines in the 30 horsepower range. The big cars.........the 1914-1916 six.....probably three survive, maybe. Of my series 16 valve four.........I know of seven engines, one in a truck. Three are in museums and will never come out. Frankly I’m surprised that the high horsepower four speed power plant wasn’t sought after for speed cars after WWI..........found in a junkyard.......it would been like a DV-32 power plant...........fast, exotic, and just plain neat. As far as I know, only my 1917 Rubay is on the big chassis.....all others are on the smaller chassis.(126 inch and 25 inch wheels, my big boy is 139 and 27 inch wheels.)

Eddie, I see you reached 15,000 postive Reputation Reactions tonight. I see you also have over 10,000 post. Congrats and Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, edinmass said:

Back when I sold good used cheap cars I sold a Olds Cutlass that had different wheel covers from one side to the other. Eight months later the guy came in complaining about it.........I told my guy to swap them from side to side.....betting he wouldn’t look at the other side. Took him several weeks to figure out the joke..........he didn’t have a good sense of humor. I pulled the trigger and ordered two matching caps......the cheaper ones of course.........and then he complained he wanted the other style...........such is life.

Sound like the typicsl #3 car buyer.   Wants to pay a #5 price and get a #1 car, ready for Pebble Beach.

• Like 2

I'm sure Ed is aware of this car but I thought other readers of this thread would find it interesting.  I came across this 1917 Pierce Arrow in very original looking condition at Dragone's open house/car show from a few weeks ago.  This is the first time I'd been able to closely examine a cast aluminum body.  Patina but no rust!  A very impressive machine.  

PA-2.jpg

PA-3.jpg

PA-4.jpg

PA-5.jpg

PA-6.jpg

• Like 3

So, while the “New” 1917 White will be showing up down south reasonably soon............number three negotiations are in progress as of this morning.............only Phil with “Hands like George the Animal Steel” knows what the new White under consideration is..............so, now I have a question. In the world of woke and White motor cars.......the rest of this sentence can not be printed because of the very sad state of the world we live in. 

And it’s killing me to keep quiet.

This thread may get very long if they keep coming my way...........

• Like 1

Owning three Whites don’t make a wrong!  You will no longer be allowed to use the Bozo logo and will hence be known as the WHITE master (mechanic). No one will take offense when they see those beautiful old marvelous machines. 
dave s 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I missed my annual fathers day post on Facebook that is done in the memory of my wonderful father. Facebook is such a POS today that I refuse to post there much anymore. So, here is a photo of my father Edgar Sr. on a tour back in the 80's. Sorry about the poor photo quality. The car is my 1931 Cadillac 355A Sport Coupe. It was a rolling junkyard.......but it is what got me into the early CCCA cars. It's now in Europe somewhere. Many great memories of that car, my dad, and that day. We drove to the top of a mountain in the White Mountain Range, sat on the running board, and smoked our first father & son cigar together. Now at every major show or tour, I take time out by myself and have a cigar sitting on the running board thinking of the guy who did so much for me. This year at Pebble, everyone who knows me is invited to have a smoke with me BEHIND the ropes.......I'll bring the cigars. Best, Ed.

PS- This photo makes me reflect on the last fifty years in the hobby............from a broke kid who didn't have gas money and used silver spray paint for chrome.............to now yearly walking the 18th green at Pebble every year. It's been a fantistic experience ......and I am the luckiest guy in the world.....and, just for my father.........four thumbs up........something no one else in the world deserves but him. 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 yes, it's more than four.....he deserves a million. 

Scan 2.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Well, the new "Great White" California Top car is getting moved tomorrow to secure storage a short distance away from its longtime home. A fourm member has generously agreed to pick it up and put it in his storage till I get it sent south to Florida. The gentelman I purchased it from in his late 80's and I didn't want to risk him having additional health problems that could make the car hard to load on a truck. I expect "Jim".......the friend from the forum to post the story of the road trip like the first White.......so here you go Jim......it's your turn to add another new era the "The phone rang......." with another 1917 White 6 Valve Four car.........don't drop the ball......take lots of photos and do updates while on the road like I did on the first car...........fame and fortune await your responses...........

• Like 2

Ed, your dad can be proud of how his son turned out. Not only for making it to the 18th green at pebble but for being such a kind giving person to people you had never met. Someone not afraid to share very personal memories. You are lucky to have such fine memories of him and traditions to keep those memories going. I hope you enjoy many more cigars on the running boards. 
Maybe I’ll be lucky enough to sit on that running board with you some day - sorry I don’t smoke but will raise a glass of Woodford Reserve to him. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“1917 White deja vu all over again”

Well the truck is on the way to get “Great White” number two...........I expect to post photos later on tonight. I get to live vicariously through others for my car...........interesting experience.

• Like 5

As Willie Nelson would sing….. on the road again…….

We specifically ordered a white truck and trailer to do the job. 😎

385E2774-A01B-4D34-8642-CF01B7D08A40.png

• Like 1

Here is what I had to make my decision to buy the car......a video this time. Lots of people to thank for making this happen, and I will post a detailed thank you list in the near future. Ed

• Like 2