TV Cars

TAKerry

At least I'm not the only one who watches old movies and TV for the cars.

Watching "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" from 1965. Olivia DeHavilland wheels a 64 Electra around (ok, she used it to dump Joseph Cotten's "corpse" in the swamp) and there's another Electra plus some period Plymouths in it.

Steve Douglas drove some pretty cool Pontiacs in "My Three Sons".

Dan Blocker was grand marshal for a Veterans Day parade here in 1969. As a 13 year old I wanted to go see Hoss but didn't happen because Dan River Mills had my dad working 7-day weeks.

Colubo's car was such an integral part of the series, that to me it was as important as some of the character actors. Some years ago I heard about the search for the original car. While I wasn't clear on that story, I did a search. The search turned up an interesting series of antidotes. It seems like there were more then one, so the story I heard about Peter Faulk actually searching, and finding the original is different then one.

http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/deathcar.htm

• Like 1

8 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

This one ?

image.png.8ee59aba9b05cc886b9fc165904af7d4.png

Yep, most likely.  It was definitely a darker car, but didn't know it was blue in color as we were still watching Bewitched in black & white at the time!!

Craig

8 hours ago, Buick35 said:

I turned on Hogans Heros and would like to have one of those old Mercedes.

Did anyone catch the Hogans Heros with the 48-50 Ford truck as a German truck?

My Three Sons was sponsored by Chevrolet for several years. 

Dan Blocker showed up at Dominion Chevrolet at their new store in 1965, 6501 West Broad Street. They had moved from 4502 West Broad Street. The 6501 location is now Home Depot.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/574560864941497308/

41 minutes ago, Fleek said:

The Beverly Hillbillies always used Chrysler Corp. cars. Mostly red Dodge or Plymouth convertables and an occasional Chrysler or Imperial.

And I heard their truck was a modified '21 Oldsmobile

• Like 3

The F.B.I.,  CANNON  and BARNABY JONES were Quinn /MARTIN Productions, They used only  Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys.  Studebaker sponsored MR. ED.  One of the more famous T.V. cars war the Gold Firebird on THE ROCKFORD FILES.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 4:06 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

Colubo's car was such an integral part of the series, that to me it was as important as some of the character actors. Some years ago I heard about the search for the original car. While I wasn't clear on that story, I did a search. The search turned up an interesting series of antidotes. It seems like there were more then one, so the story I heard about Peter Faulk actually searching, and finding the original is different then one.

http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/deathcar.htm

Not sure where I read it, but I saw a blip within the last couple of years that the car from the TV series was in a Peugot museum in France. I am far from an expert but have seen every episode of Columbo to the point that I can just about recite the dialogue. Without binge watching, I would say off had that when the series became a quartely movie in the later years there may have been a change to the car. It appears to be darker in colour and with a few less dents! In the earlier episodes it looks like one car was used by the tell tale verticle  crease in the driver door. Perhaps like a lot of tv, this may have been the 'hero' car. I would think that at least 2 cars would have been possible.

The Beverly Hillbilly's Truck is indeed a 1921 Oldsmobile Roadster, built by California car customizer George Barris. It is now on display at the Ralph Foster Museum located on the grounds of the College of the Ozark's. When you are dealing with specialized vehicles used in movies or on T.V. it's almost like giving the builder a blank check. I remember an interview with Barris some years ago and he was asked what it cost to build. He didn't answer with a number, but said that you could purchase 5 Corvettes for what he got for the build. Heck, I would have built it for free just to see it on T.V. 

On 7/16/2020 at 9:46 PM, Carolina Chevrolet said:

Ford Motor Co was a sponsor of the Andy Griffith show,  that's why the sheriff's car is a Ford. 

Aunt Bea had a 55 Ford Sunliner,  Otis had a 33 Ford Roadster.  I can't remember what or  if Barney ever had a car.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:24 AM, Lebowski said:

I wonder what year this episode of "Bewitched" is from? I see two '69 Camaros and a '69 Chevelle and what looks to be the rear end of a '69 Impala next to the Chevelle and the yellow Corvette is probably a '69 model so it's maybe from 1969?  :)

All SS cars in the line up, must have been a Chevrolet connection.

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I can't remember what or  if Barney ever had a car.

There's one episode where Barney bought a used car (Ford of course) from a sweet old lady and of course it was a POS. Go to the 3 minute mark of this video to see it after it breaks down soon after he buys it.... :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Aunt Bea had a 55 Ford Sunliner,  Otis had a 33 Ford Roadster.  I can't remember what or  if Barney ever had a car.

Aunt Bea (Frances Bavier) actually learned to drive during the course of the show.  There was even an episode about it.

Aunt Bea (Frances Bavier) wned a Studebaker Daytona as her personal car!👍

https://studebaker-info.org/Auntbea/auntbeastude.html

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 2:27 PM, padgett said:

Not many shows were set in Florida in the 60s but "I Dream of Jeanie" always had Pontiac convertibles (and top was always down despite 55" of rain a year).

i181182.jpg

Are those Rally 1's on a 67?  I thought they only used them through 66, but here's a period photo that shows differently.  Anybody know when they were discontinued?

On 7/18/2020 at 7:53 PM, Jim Bollman said:

Did anyone catch the Hogans Heros with the 48-50 Ford truck as a German truck?

I get in trouble when I point out that stuff in movies.

On 7/21/2020 at 7:36 PM, Lebowski said:

There's one episode where Barney bought a used car (Ford of course) from a sweet old lady and of course it was a POS. Go to the 3 minute mark of this video to see it after it breaks down soon after he buys it.... :D

Oh yea, I now remember that episode.   We live between Mayberry and Pettycoat Junction, near Hotterville & Grean Acres, where these show play nghtly between

7 & 8 PM.  Only trouble with that is that Floyd th Barber is the only surgeon in the county.

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, John348 said:

Was Pontiac the vehicle on "My Three Sons"?

I recall seeing Pontiacs in that show, particularly a '55 or '56 convertible which Chip took his driver's test in.  Though towards the end of the series,  I remember a full-size 1971 Ford sedan being used for a detective's car in the show.

Craig

When I lived in Port Washington NY, a neighbor friend that got me started in the old car hobby, had a 1930 Hispano Suiza limo that was used in a TV movie version of a Nero Wolfe mystery back in 1979.  It was filmed in NYC.  You can watch it on You Tube here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A_U3ykbpDs

The limo first appears at the 49:39 minute mark.

The car has also been in a photo shoot for Penthouse magazine, shot at Perth Motor House in Glen Cove.

He bought it used from the Vanderbilt Estate in Sands Point shortly after WWII. He sold back in the 80's to someone from Wales. It's since been glammed up with coach lights, bumpers, and other shiny bits that it never had originally, and has been at Pebble Beach.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, John S. said:

I remember the Hipano Suiza driving around the Queens/Nassau boarder back in the 70's. The owner drove it often. 

If what you saw was a dark brown conv. limo, than that was him. He used it like an everyday car.

There were other Hiso's on LI back then, but none like his.  Joe Weider (sp) had a cream colored H6 convertible Victoria,  Dieter Holterbosch up in Oyster Bay had an early tulip wood boat tail. And Alec Ullman had three I know of at the time - two drivable smaller Barcelona - a town car and a conv coupe - and a later J12 Hiso needing work, all that he kept out at his place in Sagaponack.   I got to drive his Barcelona conv. coupe. Nice but nothing like driving that big H6 of my friend's. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1