TV Cars

TAKerry

On 7/16/2020 at 7:43 PM, Lebowski said:

My brother said he saw an old episode of Adam 12 and they pulled over a kid in a '70 Chevelle for driving recklessly or whatever and it was Tony Dow who played Wally Cleaver on Leave It To Beaver a few years earlier. Does anyone know where I could find that episode because I'm a big Tony Dow fan....

12-07-01-adam-12.jpg?w=300&h=242

This will be tough to explain to Ward and June.

Adam-12 (3:05, “Cigarettes, Cars and Wild, Wild Women”) October 17, 1970

I’ve already run on at length about Adam-12, and while it’s an unbeatable show to watch while devouring pizza and ice cream on a Sunday afternoon, you don’t expect it to present a familiar face from another series.

So I was surprised to find the instantly-recognizable Tony Dow in this episode. Here he’s a soldier, just returned from Vietnam and driving a new car with only eight miles on the speedometer, when he picks up a hitchhiker in a miniskirt. Almost immediately she asks him to pull over, hop out and buy her a pack of smokes— and when he does, she steals the car.

You’d expect this to happen to Lumpy Rutherford or Eddie Haskell, but not to a Cleaver. No wonder the embarrassed corporal claims to be “Wayne Miller.” Somewhere the Beaver must be laughing his ass off.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 1:54 PM, Tom Devoe said:

Are those Rally 1's on a 67?  I thought they only used them through 66, but here's a period photo that shows differently.  Anybody know when they were discontinued?

Rally 1 wheels optional on 1966, 67, & 68 Tempest, Tempest Custom, LeMans, and GTO.

1966;Pontiac Promotional Photo Errors 

70526004-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

1967;image.jpeg.628664405c9855dafdee2826fc65004f.jpeg

1968image.jpeg.6d162babfa7ec0ab7c2508005ed9ed0f.jpeg

Pontiac also made a rally sport wheel that looked somewhat like the rally 1 in 1981, 

1981 Pontiac Phoenix SJ for sale or trade. for Sale in Charlotte ...

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I thought it was the opposite, I thought I read somewhere that Rally II's were optional on '67

You did. They started in 1967 and ended in the early 80's. So for a long while Pontiac produced them side by side along with snowflakes.

These two cars look very different.

Is the static display some type of "similar recreation" homage to the original?

bev1.jpg.1b03b384c36ccf4dc4c7319ccdbacbcc.jpgbev2.jpg.ca983ca66d2bd8f9286b803699dd6c93.jpg

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

These two cars look very different.

Is the static display some type of "similar recreation" homage to the original?

bev1.jpg.1b03b384c36ccf4dc4c7319ccdbacbcc.jpgbev2.jpg.ca983ca66d2bd8f9286b803699dd6c93.jpg

The first picture is from the TV show.  The second is of the 1921 Oldsmobile which was 'recreated' for the movie, on display at the Volo Auto Museum.  Here's their narrative that goes with it:

Beverly Hillbillies

This is the famed truck recognized from the Beverly Hillbillies full length movie that was released in 1993. It was custom built to appear distressed and beat up. However mechanically it is sitting upon a modern drive-line for reliability and ease of use on set. It is powered by a Chevrolet 350 engine with an automatic transmission and has modern brakes. The wheels are modern steel wheels with simulated wood spoke covers custom made just for the movie. The mannequins were custom built for this truck for exhibition. Their wardrobe as well as other props in the truck are either screen used or authentic replicas.

• Like 1

Well that certainly explains things George, thanks.

So, I wonder if the original from the TV series still exists somewhere?

Greg

Have to understand that for movies and TV everything is make believe and most have doubles and stand-ins. Including cars.  Take the 55 chevvies used in both American Graffitti and Two Lane Blacktop. Were quite a few including a cutaway car with cameras mounted facing the interior. Were (and are) even more General Lees including one on a VW chassis. Considered disposable. Or all the Challengers used for Vanishing Point (how many have the uncut version with Charlotte Rampling ?)  and a Camaro stunt double.

Like the Harry Truman Lincoln, is rarely just one.

ps Except for show cars. Pontiac just had one X- car in the 60s, just was remodeled for each year's shows.

Has anyone seen the new Perry Mason Series on HBO?

A lot of Model A's, and a lot of street scene's plus many others. Takes place in 1932.  

The language rough and some nudity, so it might not be for everyone, But a lot of early iron, plus the story line has been great.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Watched new PM  a bit but thought really bad.

Why am not shocked by that? Your the first person I heard say that they thought it was bad, like I mentioned the language and nudity is not for everyone. Different strokes for different folks

Regardless, there is a lot of cars and someone seems to have paid attention to the correctness of the props for the era

To see some really nice 30s cars the Warner Brothers 1930s series of Perry Mason starring Warren William had him driving a 1934 Buick Convertible coupe. This morning's season 2 Perry Mason has him driving his 1958 Cadillac Convertible (sans windshield).

The first season 1957 has him driving a rather bland looking probably all black 57 Ford retractable. Early episodes show Paul Drake in a Corvette. Later he mostly had Thunderbirds.

4 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I am absolutely hooked on the new Perry Mason series, I had seen most of the originals several times.

No comparison.

I agree, very entertaining, I caught episode 6 the other night and ended up getting caught up the past few days. It is one of those series that you have to pay very close attention to. It is like a good restoration, the attention to details must be covered

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, padgett said:

Wasn't talking about bumper cars.

691_main_l.jpg

This is a Chevrolet, not a bumper car and it has a six slot Rally wheel;

70912464-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

And BTW I would stop referring to cars like this beautiful CHEVROLET Nova Custom with six slot rally wheels as a Bumper car.

You  not only make some people who collect those cars feel bad, but angry as well.  

• Like 1

It doesn't have the 2.5/5 mph bumpers ? Heck even in GM we called the 73s and later "bumper cars". Was talking about ones with "chromed styling panels" and before "corporate cars".

ps always liked the 74 GTO with the camper option.

donmckayWWaFirebirds.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

2 hours ago, padgett said:

It doesn't have the 2.5/5 mph bumpers ? Heck even in GM we called the 73s and later "bumper cars". Was talking about ones with "chromed styling panels" and before "corporate cars".

Don't change the subject. The Nova Custom is a REAL Chevrolet with REAL Chevy Rally six slot wheels.

If you want Dodgems I suggest a amusement park. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Boys, boys...

This was a fun thread. If you can't keep it civil, I suggest you take out to the parking lot.

(to look at each other's wheels)

16 hours ago, padgett said:

donmckayWWaFirebirds.jpg

Funny you brought up the camper as I had just earlier looked up the p/n for a fellow on an Olds forum.

Grp 9.685 p/n 983413, camper pkg, mini, 73-74 XB17 (the Nova derivatives hatchback). Cost $79.50 in Nov 73.

There was also a "mattress pkg, load floor" available for this option and for the midsize and clamshell wagons p/n 983465 for the hatchback $45.15, 983466 for the wagons $49.30.