Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

2 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Or the issue I had with the 30 A when I first got it where the negative battery cable kept coming loose so it would visually seem OK on the post but in reality poor/no ground.   A simple lock washer provided a permanent fix...

Steve, I'm going to check the terminals.  There are dual dry cells in the battery box with new cables.   One of the few times in my life I was right over my dad was when I pointed out he had 12v cables on a 6V car which explained why the starter barely turned over.  

The car did light up after I jiggled the top of the batteries, but they felt super solid to me which is why I'm leaning switch.

• Like 3

Andrew, do you have the keys to the county? All of your pics are fantastic and the backgrounds are awesome. Places like you post in my neck of the woods are forbidden to the average joe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Andrew, do you have the keys to the county? All of your pics are fantastic and the backgrounds are awesome. Places like you post in my neck of the woods are forbidden to the average joe.

A smile and an old car go a long way in getting permission to take photos. I am always careful to ASK to use a location and to say thank you once I get permission. Also living in the same town my whole life and knowing lots of people never hurts.

• Like 5

The owner of this car drives it every Monday/Wed/Friday to pickup hockey all summer long.  He bought it off the dealer lot when it was 1 year old.  It was a trade in.  340 four speed car.

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

It looked like a nice day today (Monday June 3, 2024)    With June 15th being "National Drive Your V8 Ford Day", today was the day to lay out that tour for our local group of Early V8 Fords.   We left the V8 Fords in the garage

and took our 1935 Buick 8, to lay out the ride.  Not finding any Bi-Planes or real Pre WWII planes either at the

local Airport, we altered our route.     We stopped at the Franklin Terrace B & B to scope out a photo site, then continued our ride in the country.   The B& B was built in the 1890's as a Hotel and became the towns first High School in 1915.    In two weeks, we'll lead about 6 or 7 Early Ford V8's on this ride in the country with one of our

early Ford V8s.

IMG_E04151.JPG.dcc466eebf81cb5ae34d4c6278c4840f.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Re-position text (see edit history)
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

The owner of this car drives it every Monday/Wed/Friday to pickup hockey all summer long.  He bought it off the dealer lot when it was 1 year old.  It was a trade in.  340 four speed car.

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

53767746172_4d09048781_c.jpg20240601_114938 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

There is a pair of these (on GTS) that show up at all of the regular shows. He owned a local service station for many years. They have the blue one and a green one like your pic. They have plaques that say 'His' and 'Hers'.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

He needs to practice his parking.

• Haha 5

On 5/29/2024 at 5:01 PM, John Bloom said:

There really is something seriously wrong with all of us.

Nope........not me. I'm "normal". 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

He needs to practice his parking.

If that was a late model BMW you would be 100% correct.  And he would be a prick by default.   But since he's a 75 year old guy driving a 50 year old car to hockey three times a week he can do whatever he wants by me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

If that was a late model BMW you would be 100% correct.  And he would be a prick by default.   But since he's a 75 year old guy driving a 50 year old car to hockey three times a week he can do whatever he wants by me.

I disagree.

Driving/parking attitude/behavior like that reflects poorly on rest of the antique/classic/vintage drivers/owners in the eyes of the general public.

Most 80+ y.o. vintage car drivers/owners I know can and will park better than that.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 9:58 AM, alsancle said:

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?

• Haha 2

A neighbor has an Isetta - not sure that fits the mold and definately not sure he would be able to claim two parking places as the footprint is about the same as a lawn tractor..

He does drive it a bit but honestly I would feel safer in my A.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JACK M said:

Spent a couple of hours looking at this guys butt.

Must be a plumber.  Is that a plunger he's holding?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

43 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

He's practicing keeping his car from door dings!

I always felt that parking like that was an invitation for misfortune.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Or you can use one of these to find your car in a parking lot full of vehicles.

Original Unocal 76 Ball Antenna Topper - Discontinued - Complete your  collections now! | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history  charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

HaHa,  I remember back in the 60s/70s going to games at Dodger Stadium. EVERY car in the parking lot had one of those on their antenna!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG_1584.jpeg.debfa29cb7841565e993bde5b8996050.jpegDecided this morning the 53 Packard needed some exercise. Always interesting where the Cormorant and Hula Girl will take me

• Like 6

IMG_1587.jpeg.f20f90c30bbd2a40d03a9d4742404b96.jpegAbout 5 miles of driving I see this Bel Air in the distance. IMG_1590.jpeg.cda6df4f6607fffaec82685cbe49d0c3.jpegI caught up pretty quickly and the 2 of us drove together for another 10 miles trading the lead along the way. How often nowadays does one randomly comes across another old car from the same era that is not part of an organized tour, cruise or parade?  Not often I suspect. It was a great ride and nice surprise!

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, CChinn said:

How often nowadays does one randomly comes across another old car from the same era that is not part of an organized tour, cruise or parade?

And sporting a New York Historical license plate!  Maybe a tour or Classic Chevy car show nearby?

39 minutes ago, EmTee said:

And sporting a New York Historical license plate!  Maybe a tour or Classic Chevy car show nearby?

Not that I am aware of. Maybe he came down for the US Open that starts next week?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 10:10 AM, Pfeil said:

He's practicing keeping his car from door dings!

That's always been my impression when I see a nice or clean car using two spaces. If they use two spaces in a more distant and less congested part of the lot it doesn't bother me. Most often I'll see young people with clean sporty cars (e.g. Nissan Z Sport) taking two spaces. I don't mind.

26 minutes ago, JamesR said:

That's always been my impression when I see a nice or clean car using two spaces. If they use two spaces in a more distant and less congested part of the lot it doesn't bother me. Most often I'll see young people with clean sporty cars (e.g. Nissan Z Sport) taking two spaces. I don't mind.

If you are in a remote part of the lot I feel you can do what you want.  I always park far away anyways.   Mostly because parking my truck is a pain in tight spots and secondarily I don't need any more door dings than necessary.

• Like 1

Last week was prewar RR, this week is post war RR.   The Silver Wraith chassis was the first post war chassis introduced by RR and in the later half of the 50s was for the top of the line coachwork while the Silver Dawn filled the role of the less expensive chassis.  The engine went through a number of variations and this car is the last convertible built on the Silver Wraith chassis when production ended in 1959.   The good news is  it has the most powerful version  of the engine,  up to 300 cubes with dual carbs.   The GM 4 speed hydromatic was used by RR through out the 50s and it works well.    Drives like a comfortable couch down the road.  Happy at high way speeds.   This car has been tremendously reliable as the only break down in the 100k miles it has gone since it brought me home from the hospital was a failed water pump on I80 in Penn in 1970 in the middle of nowhere.   I remember that adventure distinctly.

75 degrees and blue skies today.  I did about a 30 minute ride. 

IMG_4962.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

It is always a great day when you can enjoy a Model A. Especially a Roadster.

30dr200.jpg

30dr203.jpg

30dr204.jpg

30dr205.jpg

30dr206.jpg

Lovely Car and color combo +  the white walls look good on this car

• Like 2