Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

1 hour ago, yachtflame said:

It seems that they’re all Fords. Just like all wooden runabouts are Chris Crafts!

My experience has been the opposite.   Everything is a Duesenberg until you find out it is a Buick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Great day for a ride in the country was today 3/16/24.   We organized a ride into Georgia for the Clayton Block Party.

They closed off the main street for a Cruise in and about 100 cars showed up.   We led 8 cars from Franklin. to Clayton

(About 25 Miles)   Our 8 cars had 18 people and 16 of us patronized the Clayton Cafe' for dinner together.   Clayton

has about 7 eateries on its Main Street and all are good places.

As usual I waited until we were ready to leave to take a picture.   (Now the challenge is to find and load the picture here)

IMG_E03171.JPG.6f9ee8e028f59bcd4bfd3777b2e976e7.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Found it, Finally ! (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 3/16/2024 at 9:16 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Great day for a ride in the country was today 3/16/24.   We organized a ride into Georgia for the Clayton Block Party.

They closed off the main street for a Cruise in and about 100 cars showed up.   We led 8 cars from Franklin.

Franklin to Highlands was a most beautiful stretch a few years ago. Of course after the 5th hairpin holding the steering wheel upside-down at 25 mph and hoping oncoming motorcycles weren't going to cross the double yellow by more than a foot or two my wife just about had enough. Getting down from Highlands is another matter altogether - not sure I'd try prewar brakes. I've not been to Clayton but looks nice!

1 hour ago, prewarnut said:

Franklin to Highlands was a most beautiful stretch a few years ago. Of course after the 5th hairpin holding the steering wheel upside-down at 25 mph and hoping oncoming motorcycles weren't going to cross the double yellow by more than a foot or two my wife just about had enough. Getting down from Highlands is another matter altogether - not sure I'd try prewar brakes. I've not been to Clayton but looks nice!

We regularly take group outings up and down that road in everything 1913 to 1970.   While we're not racing, we do   

pull over when the traffic backs up.   Down shifting is the clue to coming down.   Great scenery is better at low 

speeds.   However, the road to Clayton GA was U. S. 441, is is fairly straight and 55 MPH.   The oldest car this week

was a 1930.   Speed limit on the Highlands Rd is 35, but it seems like most drivers are in more of hurry, and pulling

over is a common occurrence.   With no room for error, most people are considerate.  Near the top, is Bridal Veil

Falls.  This was our 2018 "National Drive Your Ford V8 Day" photo, at Bridal Veil Falls.

@BridalFalls.JPG.b8c6a92e9008d2d08c4d55bb166f54db.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
adjusted text and will add a picture (see edit history)
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, John Bloom said:

give us a few more details.......I've done some SOCAL and Arizona driving that looks like that......I trust you kept it under 15.  Where are you?

Speed Six.   New Mexico.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:49 AM, alsancle said:

Speed Six.   New Mexico.

My wife wants me to take her to New Mexico in April to travel around and see the sights. Any suggestions? She is a big Georgia O'Keefe fan so i know we will go see her stuff. Too bad the Unser Museum closed down and moved. 

1 hour ago, philip roitman said:

My wife wants me to take her to New Mexico in April to travel around and see the sights. Any suggestions? She is a big Georgia O'Keefe fan so i know we will go see her stuff. Too bad the Unser Museum closed down and moved. 

Unfortunately I was only in Albuquerque for a few days so I can't tell you much.   High desert in that area reminds me of Utah and parts of Idaho.   Personally, I'm more at home with big trees around me.

IMG_4381.jpeg

IMG_4380.jpeg

IMG_4379.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Suppose to be 8 - 12 inches here.  The ground is pretty much bare everywhere,  and everything including the frost was pretty much out of it.  the pond was completely ice free two days ago after having 10 inches on it.  Now it's froze completely over today and the frost is heading back in the ground. There has been a duck hanging around and I saw him not moving out on the pond this morning for over an hour.  I thought he had froze in.  So much for Spring.  The only positive is the local ski area should be able to squeak out an extra week.  We went skiing last week and the only snow was on the trails,  because they had made so much over the winter. ( They got 16 inches a couple of weeks ago or they would be closed already. ) Some of those trails were getting pretty sketchy and narrow.  Howling frozen ice wind conditions at the top,  then it turned to mashed potatoes half way down and many places in the shade.

Might try to go Tuesday as the kids are off Monday.  Sucks as that is probably the best day to go.  Probably last time of the season.  Got to make those season's passes pay for themselves.

I'm ready to get the cars out though.  This is getting old.

• Like 1

I was gonna say Happy Spring to everyone, then I did see on the weather channel this morning the snow that some of you fellows are getting. It was in the 70's here in the mid atlantic last week but barely out of the 40's right now. Supposed to rain hard tomorrow so it WONT BE A GREAT DAY FOR A CAR RIDE! Maybe Sunday.

AJ, Im with you on the trees. I have never been to NM, but have travelled to parts of the country with high desert or whatever you want to call it. Some areas are beautiful but not for me for everyday living.

• Like 1

I think we will evade any measurable snow on CT but hopefully they don't over react with the mystery mix if we get some light snow or sleet.

The furthest the Packard has traveled since January is maybe 15 inches to help prevent flat spots on the tires.

• Like 3

I measured 10 inches when I started shoveling 3 hours ago.  It's still snowing.  probably another 2 + so an easy 12 and it's suppose to snow for 7 more hours I believe,  if the storm doesn't start that classic Northeast Spin.  Atleast it's not wet.  A little dense but not super heavy. Today's ride in the country will be 2 hours in the tractor. :( The wife was raking the lawn a week ago.

• Like 1

IMG_1491.jpeg.1e2e6071422d53032894c334b36195d2.jpegIMG_9416.jpeg.c5bccb74c0583de932ee045a4b942c92.jpegBeautiful Easter Sunday in Pinehurst, NC today. 80 degrees and sunny. Enjoyed the day by taking out both my ‘53 Packard Clipper Sportster and ‘40 Chevrolet Special Deluxe for an afternoon ride. They both liked the exercise and cruising on 2 lane country roads

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3978.jpeg.84522087a6bdcb6a212bbd5ce6380a41.jpeg

IMG_3980.jpeg.72a4e0cd1794c985e53084b0f92ccac7.jpeg

IMG_3981.jpeg.282005e81ec1b558f779f5d9eddd9792.jpeg

I did a tune up an oil change on this 1966 427 Corvette today.

I rebuilt the engine and transmission about three years ago. I Just had a go for a quick ride. I sure wish it was mine. Love the music from the side pipes.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JohnS25 said:

IMG_3978.jpeg.84522087a6bdcb6a212bbd5ce6380a41.jpeg

IMG_3980.jpeg.72a4e0cd1794c985e53084b0f92ccac7.jpeg

IMG_3981.jpeg.282005e81ec1b558f779f5d9eddd9792.jpeg

I did a tune up an oil change on this 1966 427 Corvette today.

I rebuilt the engine and transmission about three years ago. I Just had a go for a quick ride. I sure wish it was mine. Love the music from the side pipes.

I spent 6 weeks one summer using an identical 427/390 Vette as an every day driver.  It worked out amazing well and was a blast to drive.    I've had a 69 427/435 N14 (Factory side Exhaust) car on my list for years but I don't think that will ever happen.

• Like 4