Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

On 12/5/2023 at 7:27 AM, EmTee said:

Licorice?  :P

59cad79.jpg.eb9fb466ae70e0d70c3c01b3435d

I love it and would give it good home, but I would be alone and that eliminates me as a buyer.   I keep saying i'm going to down size           to one old car.   Might as well be a BIG one.

• Haha 1

About 52 degrees and sunny here in CT today.  Took the 40 110 out for a late Fall ride.  We stayed fairly close to home but warmed everything up nicely.  Car ran great!! While I am not a believer in dead storage, that will be up to the weather Gods... Will take what we can get!!

20231216_145621.jpg

VideoCapture_20231216-190300.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 15

Havent had my car out for a couple of months now. Thursday was really nice, I finished up with work early. Opened the garage door, started the car to let it warm up a bit and lo and behold in rolls the Mrs. She had other plans for me🤔

Car off, and door back down. Friday was busy, had plans for Sat. but that didnt work out either. Now heavy rain for the next couple of days. Gonna try for next weekend.

• Like 1

Finally, after several weeks of postponing (due to too many work related issues at the shop), I managed to get another great 6 hr, 120 mile Sunday drive with the Roadster.

Started around 6am with 50* outside temperature, heading east toward Mt. San Jacinto, the peak (at almost 11.000 ft) of which is seen covering the rising sun in the second picture.
Once at the base near Banning, spiritedly climbed 243 to Idyllwild where the temp was about 40* when I got there at 6000 ft. elevation. Walked around the village a bit, then visited a friend in his “antique” store there and talked about vintage cars (what else is there, right ?). He has a few, couple of pre- & couple of postwar examples.

Then, took the 74 down from the mountain, briefly engaging in friendly “racing” with some young man in his (new to him ?) Porsche Boxster…

… I did let him “win”.

And now, in our backyard with balmy, almost 80* temperature and after finishing yet another great Pakistani cuisine lunch (leftovers) with a glass of very nice Pinot Noir from Santa Ynez area, I think it’s time for a brief nap before finishing the afternoon with another glass (or two ?) along with one of the really tasty Nicaraguan cigars I received a box of as a gift couple of weeks ago from a friend (also a true vintage car enthusiast & an owner of several) in El Salvador (although he keeps most of his cars in California and Italy). 

FE8DB53A-76B6-452F-95A3-33D2D2CB1F46.jpeg

5F3EAC1C-B911-4B68-BE29-965D0C1B12D7.jpeg

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Weather prediction for Monday here the Inland Empire of SoCal looks promising for my annual Christmas morning drive.
If anyone in the area is interested in joining me with their vintage car, PM/DM before 6pm Sunday for contact info and potential route/scheduling plans, which usually for me is a +/-100 mile drive from/to Riverside, CA at a leisurely pace and includes some scenic secondary roads, possibly up to local mountains, plenty of stops for restroom/snacks(bring your own)/photo-ops/etc and may include a short nature trail hike. 
Preliminary plan for departure is around 6am and return by midday (according to my wife, we have dinner reservations at 2pm in some fairly local restaurant, so I can't spend the whole day on driving pleasures).

OR, alternatively, wife and I are planning to do our annual, EARLY morning (at/before sunrise) drive to and through Joshua Tree National Park on January 1st to welcome the New Year, if anyone is interested in joining us.

• Like 4

I've been garaged and working on misc projects for our 32 Buick since the onset of the cold weather this fall, thinking it was parked for the winter, but alas, there has been a lack of snow/salt and the rains have been manageable in MN as the forecast shows brown for Christmas.

My wife wanted to go shopping yesterday for Christmas Eve supplies, Italian tradition, 7 fishes, etc., and I suggested we take the Buick, and she was happy to make a grocery run in our old car.

I tossed on a caddy radiator cap, checked tire pressure and fluids, and off we went, and surprisingly the cab was pretty warm after the engine was up to temp to offset the outside temps in the 30s.

It ran well, about 50mi round trip, lots of fun driving in the country to the store, quite a rare opportunity in MN in December for this type of adventure.

Folks at the store were delighted to see an old car, and no harm was done by the spritzy rain.

20231222_102447.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, 32buick67 said:

I've been garaged and working on misc projects for our 32 Buick since the onset of the cold weather this fall, thinking it was parked for the winter, but alas, there has been a lack of snow/salt and the rains have been manageable in MN as the forecast shows brown for Christmas.

My wife wanted to go shopping yesterday for Christmas Eve supplies, Italian tradition, 7 fishes, etc., and I suggested we take the Buick, and she was happy to make a grocery run in our old car.

I tossed on a caddy radiator cap, checked tire pressure and fluids, and off we went, and surprisingly the cab was pretty warm after the engine was up to temp to offset the outside temps in the 30s.

It ran well, about 50mi round trip, lots of fun driving in the country to the store, quite a rare opportunity in MN in December for this type of adventure.

Folks at the store were delighted to see an old car, and no harm was done by the spritzy rain.

20231222_102447.jpg

What a great time out. And a car that did not melt!

• Like 1

Another great 120+ mile Christmas drive.

Got a little late start at around 7am, headed south to Lake Elsinore, then up & west on Ortega Hwy to San Juan Capistrano, where after a brief refueling stop I made a U-turn and headed back the same way, spiritedly enjoying the twists and turns of the freshly redone/-paved canyon section of the Ortega Hwy (attached photo taken in Orange County side, heading east toward the canyon).

Got home around Noon, took a brief nap and headed to the steak house where I had a nice N.Y. Strip with asparagus, sautéed mushrooms and a glass of quite good Cabernet from Paso Robles.

Now back at home, in the backyard, enjoying some 12 y.o. Glendronach with a Plasencia Alma Fuerte.

Happy Holidays to all !

E1D6CF71-C82A-4333-8643-75C5E9164537.jpeg

• Like 7

It was 54 degrees or so here today. I was working on Sam the 52's grill install and when I got to the point that tools were about to fly, I figured I'd run over the hill to a friend's store and pick up a glass bottled Coca-Cola.20231226_151504.jpg.4ad84bc1c08c32b75ecd4b4564c0c371.jpg

I enjoyed the 10 mile round trip, seeing his '55 and helping troubleshoot his '51 Chevy truck. 

20231226_150241.jpg.7171ef98ae2ae8c7c5b499f0bcda6251.jpgA diehard Chevy guy, he even commented on "Clara" being a pretty sweet old car. Lol

I consider it a win- we are getting further and further from home on our trips building my confidence. Has an oil seep I need to look at though.

Edited by Roscoe (see edit history)
  • Like 15

14 hours ago, Roscoe said:

It was 54 degrees or so here today. I was working on Sam the 52's grill install and when I got to the point that tools were about to fly, I figured I'd run over the hill to a friend's store and pick up a glass bottled Coca-Cola.20231226_151504.jpg.4ad84bc1c08c32b75ecd4b4564c0c371.jpg

I enjoyed the 10 mile round trip, seeing his '55 and helping troubleshoot his '51 Chevy truck. 

20231226_150241.jpg.7171ef98ae2ae8c7c5b499f0bcda6251.jpgA diehard Chevy guy, he even commented on "Clara" being a pretty sweet old car. Lol

I consider it a win- we are getting further and further from home on our trips building my confidence. Has an oil seep I need to look at though.

Are you sure you are in the 21st century?

• Haha 6

Today, New Years Day, was a good day for a ride in the country.   We only had 7 cars but a beautiful sunny day and only 40 degrees.

We led in our stock 1934 Ford, followed by a 25 Model T Coupe, a 30 Model A Coupe, a 32 Plymouth, a 33 Buick, a 36 Ford, a 51 Ford Victoria.   It was a 50+ mile day into northeast Georgia to a Restaurant for a late lunch and some fellowship for the 17 people in the

group.   It's an annual event with different routes and destinations and I think only two cars had working heaters and nobody

complained.   Our old club in Florida did it today too, for the 43rd year.   (I led the first 28)  

IMG_0177[1].JPG

• Like 13

Our annual New Year's Day road trip to/through Joshua Tree Nat'l Park got cancelled couple of days prior, so I spent the first* half of yesterday road testing the Cord 812SC transaxle shifting operations.

Turned out a reasonable substitute, especially since I finally got it all sorted & working great last week (but like so many cars I've worked on and sorted over the years, I'm falling in love this one too).

Even after completely rebuilding the transaxle itself and adjacent electrical and vacuum control components (+ other stuff), it still had a couple of quite interesting and surprising (read hidden) electrical "issues" (read more previous hackwork) I was having hard time figuring out until I designed and built my own diagnostic/testing equipment specifically for this electrical/wiring system. 

*My wife had reserved us seats in a local movie theater for 3pm showing of "FERRARI" (we both enjoyed it) after which we went for dinner to a great Sushi restaurant next to the theater.

• Like 5

On 1/1/2024 at 2:49 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Today, New Years Day, was a good day for a ride in the country.   We only had 7 cars but a beautiful sunny day and only 40 degrees.

We led in our stock 1934 Ford, followed by a 25 Model T Coupe, a 30 Model A Coupe, a 32 Plymouth, a 33 Buick, a 36 Ford, a 51 Ford Victoria.   It was a 50+ mile day into northeast Georgia to a Restaurant for a late lunch and some fellowship for the 17 people in the

group.   It's an annual event with different routes and destinations and I think only two cars had working heaters and nobody

complained.   Our old club in Florida did it today too, for the 43rd year.   (I led the first 28)  

IMG_0177[1].JPG

Heaters are for sissies, especially in open vintage cars. 😁

All one has to do is dress themself accordingly. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TTR said:

Heaters are for sissies, especially in open vintage cars. 😁

All one has to do is dress themself accordingly. 

I moved here from Florida and don't own any accordingly clothing.

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I moved here from Florida and don't own any accordingly clothing.

I moved here (SoCal) from climate similar to Alaska and know better, so when planning/preparing for drives or road trips, I have and select wardrobe options accordingly. 

Heck, I even carry chains in my vintage cars during a season they may be needed in, just in case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packard enthus. said:

wish you folks who post photos, would tell us more about your car!  For example, bet there is an interesting story about this '34 Packard "Eight".  For example,  how did it wind up with the PLATED shutters and PAINTED grill shell that, when these cars were in production, was reserved only and exclusively for the TWELVES (the 'Eights" and "Super Eights" had a PLATED shell and PAINTED shutters...!)

packard 34.jpg

Edited by Packard enthus. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Packard 

5 hours ago, Packard enthus. said:

wish you folks who post photos, would tell us more about your car!  For example, bet there is an interesting story about this '34 Packard "Eight".  For example,  how did it wind up with the PLATED shutters and PAINTED grill shell that, when these cars were in production, was reserved only and exclusively for the TWELVES (the 'Eights" and "Super Eights" had a PLATED shell and PAINTED shutters...!)

I'd be happy to take that bet, especially for a large sum of money, as the story is instead very boring.  The car was pulled from a barn in 1999, where it had been since the 1950s, to be restored; and the owner wanted it restored with a painted grill shell and plated shutters, so it was.  My recollection is that you could pay to have an Eight done that way, and the Eight catalog has them a few different ways-- several of the pictures have them this way, including the phaeton below-- but that was not the default. 

Screenshot2024-01-03at9_30_51PM.png.d322fe5ae60884f887a72d0ab0824e50.png

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1934_StadardEightPrestigeBrochure.pdf

• Like 2

We are both correct.    We both win.  I pointed out what was standard production.  You pointed out the obvious...for those who wanted to pretend they bought the more expensive, much more powerful "top-of-the-line" Packards,  of course they would be accommodated to make the sale. 

Either at the factory, or by the distributor, or even the delivering dealer!   While the color book for that year showed what Packard choices Packard offered in "production", of course they would paint the thing (for a price)....either at the factory or later on in the delivery chain, to make a sale.

For some reason, Packards delivered to India often came new with chromed hood sheet metal, as well as BOTH the grill shells and shuttersl!   (I suspect the distributor handled that, not the factory...but I don't know for sure..!)

As a side-note,  and as an example of my being wrong, I lost a bet about chromed headlight shells on '38-39 Twelves.   I never saw or even heard of one till relatively recently.   Turns out there were a couple - most definitely "original" unmolested versions.

And then...the more obvious cases of disregarding historical accuracy...."owner license",,,?   My own '38 Twelve's paint job.   1935 -39 production cars were solid colors.  If there ever was one of that era coming at the door at 1580 E. Grand Ave. "two toned",  I am not aware of it.  But I like two-toning...and, after all...it is my %$#@((# car!

PACKARD 1.jpg

• Like 4

There was a very prominent Packard collector my dad knew when I was much younger. I went to look at his collection at one time and recall he had a big car, I am thinking pre 1930 with what I remember as a nickle plated hood. I think the story was he got the car out of Mexico. Sorry for being too vague but both men are now long gone and I have nothing but a few memories knocking around with the cobwebs in my head. The fellow with the collection was named Howard Henry if anyone knows/knew about him. I know its cliche but I looked at the Packard registry awhile back and one of the cars Mr. Henry owned is now in Jay Lenos collection. Mr. Henry's wife toured the country in a very early Packard. She was well known locally for doing so.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TAKerry said:

There was a very prominent Packard collector my dad knew when I was much younger. I went to look at his collection at one time and recall he had a big car, I am thinking pre 1930 with what I remember as a nickle plated hood. I think the story was he got the car out of Mexico. Sorry for being too vague but both men are now long gone and I have nothing but a few memories knocking around with the cobwebs in my head. The fellow with the collection was named Howard Henry if anyone knows/knew about him. I know its cliche but I looked at the Packard registry awhile back and one of the cars Mr. Henry owned is now in Jay Lenos collection. Mr. Henry's wife toured the country in a very early Packard. She was well known locally for doing so.

Actually, the 1913 was Judith's and she drove it across the country by herself in the late 60's...and she cranked herself also. And, as I remember,  Howard had a '29 long wheelbase open Packard that was what I would call light blue. That was my favorite in his terrific collection. Do not know what happened to it.

Absolutely great people and long time friends of the family.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:02 AM, Brass is Best said:

1959 Cadillac's with an original interior have a unique smell. Once you smell it you never forget it. Some might call it "new car" smell. 

Wow, thanks for reminding me of that. Forgot about that aroma. I owned a 1959 Sedan DeVille in the early 70's. My 1st Cadillac when I was a young kid. Certain cars have a very distinct aroma. But it's lost when the car is restored and interior replaced. 

• Like 3

This drive goes back before Christmas. But as it wasn't  my own car I don't like to post until it's cleared. An extremely nice 1970 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe. Equipped with a 454, A/C, Power windows and tilt wheel along with a few other niceties. The owner was a great guy, really took care of it. Janesville Wisc. built car with lots of documents. I really like these and it was a pleasure to get to do the delivery.

nov29cars 113.jpg

nov29cars 121.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, BillinMd said:

Actually, the 1913 was Judith's and she drove it across the country by herself in the late 60's...and she cranked herself also. And, as I remember,  Howard had a '29 long wheelbase open Packard that was what I would call light blue. That was my favorite in his terrific collection. Do not know what happened to it.

Absolutely great people and long time friends of the family.

Yes, I knew it was an early car that she drove. She was very involved with a church that I did a lot of work on and she was legendary! I only met Mr. Henry once, but dad knew him well. I think he may have had a son or 2 that carried on his hardware store, later moving into the storage yard business. Dad took me to his farm on a Saturday to look at the cars. Thats where the memory of the nickle plate car comes to mind. He also had a running motor display stand. He joked about letting me start it. I could not get it to move!! I did see at least one of his cars at one time was owned by Leno, as for the others I have no idea. North East is one town over from me (my wife is from there), but there was a fellow in my town named Dugan that also had a Packard collection. Did you know him or did you know of Mr. Sumpter in Perryville. I believe he did a lot of the work for Howard Henry. Joe Dugan had a beautiful roadster, and a maybe late teens open car. Dad drove the big open car in our towns parade one year, I was riding in the backseat. I may have been in the first grade.

While I only managed about 60 miles in total between several 5-20 mile drives and all were conducted on city streets and freeways, it was a nice weekend for final road tests as she’s scheduled to go back home next week.
Despite all the headaches* she gave me, I’m going to miss her and hope she’ll come back for other services (Although none are serious enough to prevent driving enjoyment, I’ll provide a list of recommendations to owner and note all in order which they can and eventually will become problematic if left unattended for extended periods of time) 

* Most caused by previously done less than ideal repairs and replacement parts.

6E54A815-010C-411A-A40E-FBB4A9774768.jpeg

• Like 10

On 1/5/2024 at 7:26 AM, TAKerry said:

Yes, I knew it was an early car that she drove. She was very involved with a church that I did a lot of work on and she was legendary! I only met Mr. Henry once, but dad knew him well. I think he may have had a son or 2 that carried on his hardware store, later moving into the storage yard business. Dad took me to his farm on a Saturday to look at the cars. Thats where the memory of the nickle plate car comes to mind. He also had a running motor display stand. He joked about letting me start it. I could not get it to move!! I did see at least one of his cars at one time was owned by Leno, as for the others I have no idea. North East is one town over from me (my wife is from there), but there was a fellow in my town named Dugan that also had a Packard collection. Did you know him or did you know of Mr. Sumpter in Perryville. I believe he did a lot of the work for Howard Henry. Joe Dugan had a beautiful roadster, and a maybe late teens open car. Dad drove the big open car in our towns parade one year, I was riding in the backseat. I may have been in the first grade.

Yes, Oakley was quite a guy. I do not know about his automobile collection. I believe he ran for sheriff in the '80's. I did not know of Mr. Dugan.

Howard has a man helping him with his Packards...I believe he was Kermit DeBoard. Did you know him? He would also help at the Southern States store Howard owned just off 40.